Virtue and Moir 25: Road to home

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by martyross, Feb 11, 2013.

1. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Yes. And like always DW programs will be amazing and VM worst ever. Maybe we need to send letter to SC -don't touch Swan before OG? :)

2. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

They'd change their tune so fast that heads would be spinning.

I'll be very surprised if it happens though. D/W have too many things they need to disguise to attempt to do something like what Swan does for V/M.

3. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree.

That bugged me at Nationals, because there was such a gap between the quality of V/M's skating and that of G/P and O/W, but the marking didn't properly reward those differences. Also, the sophistication of V/M's programs was so much higher. I was glad to see Carol Lane in the K&C clapping for Tessa and Scott as they took their starting position for the FD...she was standing up for them and holding her hands up high as she clapped...she has a great British ice dance background and was giving them recognition.

Plus I felt badly for P/I who had errors yes, but again had wonderful dance qualities and some excellent choreo, especially in the short dance. They are ice dancers in a classic sense, but will they get anywhere with the way others are being rewarded in the current ice dance environment?

4. iNap

iNap Active Member

what happened? :lol:

5. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

I've privately wondered for the past season whether Carol Lane would be an option for them. I know it won't happen and from that Swan article V&M aren't going anywhere but I've felt that may be the only option for them, train away from their main competitor and Lane's teams tend to get their levels.

6. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

I think people do a 180 as soon as the judges hand out the marks. Even fans were weary of Notre Dame until it got showered with those marks.

7. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

I actually didn't get that impression. I hope they don't do something like Mahler again!

8. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Sorry, I want to say, they DON't want to play safe.
    But I still think Mahler is perfection.

9. rainbowkisses

rainbowkisses Banned Member

OOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH :rofl::respec:

10. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

It absolutely is! That's why I wouldn't like to see another version of it. I can't believe next season is their last.

11. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Absolutely. It was a perfect moment in Vancouver, and the program was perfect for that time, that place. Just like Carmen is perfect for where they are as skaters now, and hopefully it will be performed perfectly at Worlds, and I expect next year they will have a program that is perfect for Sochi and shows all of the amazing improvements in their skating and expression over the last few years.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  12. maggylyn

maggylyn Well-Known Member

This was a wonderful article. Loved it!

I notice the author also writes for icedance.com. I really appreciate that site, they do such a great job writing positively about all the ice-dance teams, and they provide details about their programs and training I usually don't see anywhere else.

13. blueglass

blueglass New Member

Hello to all VM fans here. This is my first post and I'm going to jump right in head first because it's taken so long to get here :)
    For those who didn't get the chance to see them at Canadians, I was there and can definitely say that VM looked great. Their SD blew me away - the speed, the precision, the closeness of the two partners - the whole dance was just stunning. They deserved that record setting mark. I wasn't expecting it to be as improved as it was, so I wasn't surprised they won the SD at 4Cs.
    My seat wasn't the best to be able to appreciate the performance of their FD, but my sense was that it was smooth, powerful and dramatic. It didn't have the speed of the SD, but everything else was there and I'm sure they'll have it at Worlds. I could see the slight hesitation going into the upside down lift that probably caused the time deduction. I could only get to one dance practice and saw nothing amiss with leg problems - Tessa was very animated and seemingly never stopped talking to Scott on the ice - that was cute.

Ever since watching SC on tv last fall and Tessa reportedly threw up after skating, I've thought that she's been dealing with pain issues in competition again. I think it explains the slow start to the season because that's the only reason she has made these kinds of mistakes in the past. Barring serious injury, I don't think anything will stop them winning in London. It's their hometown and these two know what they have to do and how to get it done. That's my opinion after seeing them live. Cheers everyone.

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I wouldn't like for them to work with Swan because I fear her choreography would ruin their gorgeous line and wonderful connection. Swan has done enough harm already in ice dancing.;)

Jennifer is such an amazing person and it saddens me even more now after reading her interview that Tessa and Scott are planning to retire after Sochi because I can easily imagine the brilliant result of her partnership with Virtue and Moir in future years if she had a chance to continue working with them.

:respec:

15. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Welcome blueglass! Always happy to have another V/M fan on board. You were at Canadians too, how totally awesome!

16. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

OK, I knew what hydroblading is -- big fan of B/K here. However, what is FF as I bolded in the quote of your post?

17. PEZazzz

PEZazzz New Member

I personally think they'll do a ballet free dance and Tessa previously said that she would love to do one one year. It's maybe safe for them but with swan on their side it could be very magical!

18. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

Interesting. Swan says that the team's aim for Worlds is not about winning but rather executing their intent.

19. walei

walei Well-Known Member

This is good news IMO. I don't want them to dumb down Carmen just to win, it is too brilliant of a program to get that treatment.

I'd rather V/M skate Carmen to its full potential, bring the house down, lose and cause an uproar to have the Ice Dance community actually think long and hard on what Ice Dancing have become, than win with a watered down version of Carmen. (Of course winning with a brilliant Carmen is my first choice :lol:)

20. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I bet Scott would say something very different if he could be blunt. :D

21. reese

reese Well-Known Member

22. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Hi professordeb FF is another forum, fanforum.

And welcome to blueglass.

Dave and Jenny were the people that were insinuating Tessa and Scott stopped cuz they were afraid to lose. Not sure I'm ready to hear what else they have to say. Thanks for posting the link though!

23. rainbowkisses

24. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I'm 10 minutes in... PJ backed away from the cheese thing a bit. She said as a single mom, she relied on Kraft cheese. :p She is adamant though that Carmen is on a whole other level than Notre Dame, which has been done before. She said DF vs Carmen would be an apples to apples comparison (very generous, IMO). Dave said she only thinks D&W should skate DF because it lost. :lol: He said FF was repetetive because it's like, oh, here's Tessa as Audrey again and PJ shot back with "when has she ever skated an Audrey Hepburn number" and then he was like, oh it's just that she always seems so perfect. He says he loves Carmen and thinks they will win if they skate it to the max at Worlds. He thinks D&W have more speed and power, faster dance spin and that V&M do not always skate to potential due to her injury.

Now they are rehashing the stop... Dave says he has never seen anyone stop in ice dance other than V&M in 2011 and 2013 4CC and the Shibs.

25. rainbowkisses

did he say anything about deductions/or imply tessa was faking her injury?

26. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

And the second half...

Good question from Dave… how does PJ feel about Scott being un-PC? She knows both families well, loves that he establishes boundaries and is protective of Tessa, and she prefers honesty to bs like “I felt I skated my best” after falling 3 times. She always checks with them about what she can ask, even though she knows them well. Dave also likes his honesty, says it’s un-Canadian (uh, I guess he is not familiar with Bourne and Sale?).

On whether one of them will switch coaches if they lose this year… she says the ice dance world is crowded at the top, gives a non-answer really. Dave thinks if anyone went to Igor it would be D&W. He says he heard Meryl is dating Marina’s son so personal relationship might keep them there.

17 mins in… other skaters now… Shibs vs C&B… she thinks the Shibs are at their best ever this season, and likes the SD but says it’s “tricky” to put the polka there.

Dave thinks W&P were robbed bc judges didn’t want NA sweep at Worlds… PJ is glad they’re back, amazed even. They told PJ they were using the GPF time to revamp the FD (characters and emotion) when she got injured.
    P&B – PJ says they have been OTT in the past, Rolling Stones is something understandble, she likes it. Jenny likes Fabian’s red pants. :lol: Pretty much the first thing she said all night... I don’t think she’s interested in ice dance. Thinks P&B are somewhat messy but will win bronze.

Dave says big push for B&S, it’s “Russian magic,” PJ says “it’s not magic, they’re really good!” Good for her, she actually calls him out on a lot of his bs. PJ liked them since the Russian sailor dance, and with Zhulin they are improved, posture, etc.

Dog barking… or is it a baby? :EVILLE:

I&K… Dave says TAT hates Ghost, they will never win with it. He thinks it’s a hot mess, they should go to Igor. PJ doesn’t like it, says they are overrated. Jenny and PJ love the movie though. :lol: Dave likes her extension but says she lacks power (erm, I would say the complete opposite, but I really don’t agree with much he says). Jenny says it's Disney on Ice.

Jenny: D&W, V&M, P&B
    Dave: D&W by a hair, V&M, B&S
    PJ: V&M, D&W, B&S

27. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Not too much... it ended up more about Scott's reaction to the cameraman (they like his honesty).

Jenny says she can't understand how Tessa was able to go on without really getting any medical attention (she isn't outright saying anything but it's very slighly implied). Dave said she hasn't really told us a lot about her injury so it's hard to know what's going on, that she eschewed a third surgery in 2011 and changed her technique instead and he would love to interview her about that. He recalls that she said she was fine many times in the past and wasn't, so who knows.

28. walei

walei Well-Known Member

That interview was a lot better than I thought it would be. Jenny Kirk should work on her voice because it was really grating and she sounded like a school girl from junior high.

Now I'm off to find that clip of I/K's FD to Schindler's list where he shots her face :eek:

29. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

She actually shoots herself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vjobRSN3Sk Beautiful program, nothing like the trashiness of Ghost which Dave was implying.

ITA about Jenny's voice!

30. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member