Virtue and Moir 25: Road to home

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by martyross, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Proustable

Proustable New Member

The lifts in Carmen are insane. Like legitimately crazy difficult. I remember watching Pink Floyd and being agog at what they were doing. Carmen is on another level entirely. The rotational lift..... I can't get over how difficult that lift is. The backflip entry, the rotation speed, the change in position. And it's so perfect for that exact moment. It simultaneously feels too difficult to actually be done but of course it needs to be done because it's such a perfect expression of that music at that time.

Musicality: Well....

The choreography component

" Unity – purposeful threading of all movements
    A program achieves unity when: every step, movement, and element is motivated by the
    music.
    As well, all its parts, big or small,
    seem necessary to the whole, and there is an
    underlying vision or symbolic meaning that
    threads together the entire composition. "

Every aspect of interpretation involves music

The performance component
    " Physical, emotional, and intellectual involvement
    In all skating disciplines each skater must be physically committed, sincere in emotion,
    and equal in comprehension of the music and in execution of all movement. "

"Individuality/personality
    Style is the distinctive use of line and movement as inspired by the music.
    Individuality/personality is a combination of personal and artistic preferences that a
    skater/pair/couple brings to the concept, manner, and content of the program. "

So it's not at the forefront by any means, but I'd argue that it's still significant.
  2. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Yes! I remember thinking the same about Pink Floyd. If you watch the British Eurosport version, the commentators are all :eek: about the goose. And then the next year they repeat the goose, but with a really difficult jump and twist exit, and I was like, damn. And now they've totally graduated. Those were like their training wheels lifts. :D

The lifts in Carmen are so amazing for exactly the reason you said... they are crazy difficult, but they're not difficult for the sake of being difficult, they actually punctuate the music perfectly. I mean a lot of ice dancers are doing well if they can even get the lift on the big crescendo of the music. V&M literally have every position change, every part of the lift to the beat of the music, especially the one where he tosses her in the air. That kind of timing is just incredible.
  3. Maofan7

Maofan7 Well-Known Member

4. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Skate Canada had told me that I should give them the banner and they will hang it.
    It will be really sad if I am denied the opportunity.
    Oh well I will just have to take it to nats next year!
  5. whoa

whoa Member

6. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

that is so sweet, m_chenning. What a lovely gesture. Thank you for sharing that.

I was thinking the same thing, Cherub. They have always had incredible basics, but they have noticeably improved them in the last couple of years (I am thinking it might be the change in technique). Their power is unreal. And I love that they have choreo that shows off this power--they don't need crossovers to gain speed, they just create it from nothing/nowhere and their stroking efficiency is just superb. Their programs are punishing in terms of transitions--i really am blown away.
  7. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

That was a nice clip! I hope they take that inspiration into this coming competition!

Also, that little foot stomp totally reminded me of Kurt Browning. :)
  8. Bournekraatzfan

Thanks for the links, MaoFan7 and whoa.

I really hope everything works out with the banner, Emdee.

Wishing you and the others a safe trip to worlds.
  9. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Thanks! I remeber. how i didnt watch Jeff, because i was sure Joubert won gold and then foumd Buttle won WCh :D
    "Ararat" is one of my favorite LPs in men FS.
  10. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Sad :( Dont know why they didnt let to bring banners. Maybe Emdee could hold it in her hands?
    Sad. Its so nice to see all this banners at competitions. And i think skaters happy to see this kind of support.

And i am happy T-S feel so much support youtside Canada. Eslesially from the land of first OGM in ice dance.
  11. elle123

elle123 New Member

I remember watching Jeff skate that program and it was absolutely inspirational, especially considering he had just lost his Canadian title to Patrick. I think in a way, that loss motivated him. Here's hoping the same happens to Scott and Tessa :) Can't believe we're only a week away from their last appearance (as competitors) at Worlds!
  12. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Its sad, but i am happy we have chance to see them at this WCh, because they could not compete after 2010. Thanks them for this WCh and for "Carmen".
    I read there will be big fan zone in London. I am envy all. who will be there :D Have a safe trip and have fan! Wish you all skaters show there best - this made WCh special competition!
  13. marikat

marikat Active Member

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Bournekraatzfan

It's one of my favourites, too. The music is beautiful and the choreography is insanely difficult. He also has tremendous musicality.

Here's hoping:)
  15. pani

pani Well-Known Member

16. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

17. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I must say i like this two parts i could watch. Cant wait to see next.
    Maybe because i just like everything about FS and for me it was interesting to see, how skaters work during off-season.
  18. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Guys, SC we will be streaming official practice sessions on Monday, March 11 and Tuesday, March 12, live from Budweiser Gardens

Live streaming of practices is available in Canada only.
  19. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Where did you see this?
  20. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I get email from SC. I have pay access for this season, but couldnt watch practcie because of geoblock :( But hope someone will see and maybe could upload videos.
  21. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

pani.. I think that's just awful. Why should there be geoblock when it's paid access ? Doesn't make sense to me.. I feel bad for you.:(
  22. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Its OK. They same happened with Icenetwork pay access. Only one thing bothering me - i asked them before get access, will it be geoblocked?
    Next season i will not buy SC access to pay channel - no problem/
    Thnks for support :)
  23. CatherineC

CatherineC Member

So, hi everyone, haven't been there for a while.
    Anyways, I wanted to share how latvian television are describing next week's worlds ice dance faves.
    So, my translate: "So, there in Canada, people has a very big interest about this discipline, because hometown competitors Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir are pretending to gold medals, they are last year's World Champions too as well as Olympic Champions in 2010. The greatest enemies for them - French, American and Russian skaters."

Seriously? No words for Meryl and Charlie? They are just some of "American skaters"? :D I like it :D
    MEERYYYLLLL! YOU FORGOT TO PAY TO LATVIAN TELEVISION FOR THEIR DESCRIPTION!

P.S. Sorry for poor translation, my english sucks.
    Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  24. CatherineC

CatherineC Member

25. CatherineC

CatherineC Member

Sorry for very much posting, but I just can't NOT post it there! :D
    So, latvian TV Free dance description: "Most of people think that the winners in their home will be Virtue and Moir, but french skaters Pechalat & Bourzat are always good too, americans and russians are also strong."

SERIOUSLY???????? AGAIN NO MERYL AND CHARLIE? NATH AND FAB BUT NOT MERYL AND CHARLIE??? LOLOLOLOOOL :D
  26. Scrufflet

Scrufflet Active Member

It doesn't sound like Latvian TV knows much!
  27. JasperBoy

JasperBoy Well-Known Member

Aren't you in the wrong thread, CatherineC?
  28. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I think that you didn't get something ;).
  29. iNap

iNap New Member

If Latvian do not know who D-W are, they will know there full names after this event :D
  30. rainbowkisses

rainbowkisses Banned Member

nah #notredamedeboring isnt memorable enough :lol:
  31. bbkenn

bbkenn Well-Known Member

I just have to say, I love V&M.
  32. Bournekraatzfan

:)
  33. m_chenning

m_chenning New Member

Yes, it was idea from russian community. ( http://tessa-and-scott.livejournal.com )

For Tessa and for Scott. We only know they've got flowers. No proof picture and so on :D, but I hope they were glad. They need some extra support and love from us, it's going to be extremely tough competition.
  34. iNap

iNap New Member

may be to binker bad memory when you watch too much paints dry ;)
  35. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

The flowers are very beautiful and very kind of you guys. Do you know when the interview was done?

ETA: Nvm I just saw your previous post (I missed it before). I'm sure it did make them feel better after the incident at 4CC.
  36. m_chenning

m_chenning New Member

Here the article. There is no new information, all about 4CC, how they were overtrained in order to show power and speed in FD.

Tessa: I want to say that after our return from 4 CC we received many beautiful flowers from russian fans. It's pleasure to know that we have such support not only at home but from all over the world.

But we were getting in touch with Marina (with a help of our wonderful moderator, she is journalist and has a Marina's e-mail) , Marina confirmed when Tessa and Scott will be able at the rink in Canton and our girls made a order. (Marina also received red roses for her help and attention) Then Marina told us that everything worked out, everybody was happy.
  37. rainbowkisses

rainbowkisses Banned Member

wow that didnt sound borderline stalkerish at all

thats awesome! i wish i can read russian
  38. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, it's about time for a new thread! I had an idea that I floated around a while back for a worlds title thread:

Where in the Worlds is Carmen San Diego?
  39. pani

pani Well-Known Member

After watching first part of Sweet, tears movie i have 1 question. I have feeling Tessa talked about her dress, wich she used in SD at 4CC and WCh last season in SD . So she had this dress from the begining of the season?
    And i dont like last part. Why they need to talk about 2002 OG again? Plus poor Scott - i think he wasnt happy to see his reaction at GPF again.
    And the end - why they show Marina with D-W? And why they show all teams, who now working with Igor, but didnt show him at all? They shpwed Patrick coach, but not Igor- werid.
    But overall i like this doc and will be happy, if they wil made doc s about FS every week
  40. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

I found some of the editing strange. I think from the clips on the website they had a lot of footage and had to really edit it down and guess the story they went with for V&M was what it's like working with your main rivals vs Paige/Lawrence training in isolation. I think the ending shot was more about what Marina is saying and her little dance on ice, D&W were just in that shot. I think it was harder to edit out Chan's coach because there they were focusing on the physical and technical demands of mens skating and she would have been a big part of that. I liked the glimpses into performance camp. I would have liked more but it's a DOC show so I guess for the average viewer this was in depth enough?