Virtue and Moir 25: Road to home

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by martyross, Feb 11, 2013.

1. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

I am pretty sure I was on my feet before the end of Mahler as well as Farrucas at the Olympics! But it was SO LOUD in there and the whole thing was just like a crazy dream.
  2. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Guys, honestly after Mahler TAT said - i need to stend up :lol:

I want to say, V-M get big SO after Latin FD at Moscow WCh. Bigest ovations of the day :D
    I think only Volozhar-Trankov get more support at 2011 WCh ;)

Then i coudnt say in Nice they didnt get SO. We gave them "Canada EH!" :lol:
  3. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Great to see the Pani humour back!
  4. Daniskates93

Daniskates93 Active Member

5. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

Thanks, Danielle. Beautiful photos!
  6. pani

pani Well-Known Member

7. Judy

Judy New Member

Since I will be at worlds this year I would feel better if the crowd didn't go nuts until after they competed but I guess marina will have prepared them for everything.
  8. figuristka

figuristka New Member

9. Judy

Judy New Member

10. whoa

whoa Member

Wonderful, wonderful, wonderful. What kind of camera/lens(es) do you use?
  11. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

Wow!! Dani these are simply amazing photographs. They truly emphasize the intricacy and complexity, and exquisite artistry of this magnificent couple. One hopes that the ballroom dancer who made (IMHO) such inaccurate and inane comments on their lines and intimacy, gets to view these. Dani you have been blessed with an amazing gift. I really thank you for this wonderful gallery of photos.
  12. pani

pani Well-Known Member

13. Golightly

Golightly New Member

14. flowerpower

Just thought I'd mention that each day on the front inside page of the Toronto Globe and Mail print edition, a special section "A Moment in Time" commemorates a significant past event on this date. When I opened my paper today, I immediately smiled.

The "moment in time" for today, Feb. 22, highlights Feb. 22, 2010, "Virtue and Moir Win Canada's First Olympic Gold in Ice Dancing", complete with a beautiful picture of them taken just after they received their gold medals, and a lovely short write-up as well. :)
  15. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Pani, are you referring to how well Katia was skating OR that she was skating to music being used by D/W and that Meryl outfit somewhat resembles what Katia is shown wearing in this clip? Maybe because it's ballet and you wish to see V/M do something balletic next season? Just curious as to what it is you wanted us to "see".
  16. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I also felt the costume was similar. The issue IMO is has Meryl become Marina's muse as Katia was...
  17. flowerpower

Well, the Mahler free dance music was used by Katia in her celebration of Sergei's life (also choreographed by Marina).
  18. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Hi, guys! Yes, just notice starting position is the same, dress look similar....
    How you know, before Marina gave Katias music to Tessa. Now - to Meryl ;)
    Still cant understand, why she didnt give ballet to our beautifull Tessa :)
  19. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Sweet memories :swoon:
  20. flowerpower

I am hoping for a ballet FD next year for V/M. Tessa spoke years ago about how she dreamed of doing a ballet program some day, and it would fit in so well with her ballet training. :)
  21. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

So the question is, what ballets have Katia/G&G skated to? Scheherazade, Giselle, what else? That should give us a clue for next year. :p
  22. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Don Quixote ;)
    But honestly, i am sure D-W will skate "Swan Lake" so if T-S will stay with Marina, i dont think they will skate ballet.
  23. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Karia's programs with Sergei
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sergei_Grinkov#Programs

Katia's programs by herself:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ekaterina_Gordeeva#Programs

Marina has definitely shown a preference for reusing music of theirs with her teams.

As to Katia being in Giselle's iconic blue outfit, and Meryl wearing Giselle blue, yeah, that's what Giselle wears; blue.
    Bolshoi
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8N1We4pamk
    ABT
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQX1a87YV78&feature=player_embedded#t=236s

The only variations seem to be in aprons and hair doodads.

That they are both in blue has no more meaning than that anybody portraying Santa Claus is going to be wearing red.

But I have wondered why Marina didn't give Giselle to Tessa? Perhaps she wants to save a ballet for Sochi? Also It has always seemed to me that Tessa & Scott should have a competitive ballet program some time!
  24. flowerpower

This is what I have thought, too. I've expected she might be saving a ballet for V/M in Sochi. That would be great and so appropriate, IMO.
  25. rainbowkisses

rainbowkisses Banned Member

me too. tessa would've been better at playing giselle given her ballet background. but yeah perhaps she is saving a ballet program for sochi. i just hope it isnt scheherazade or black swan/swan lake
    perhaps marina is gonna give them Tchaikovsky's R+J?

idts given that their giselle looks contrived as hell. they are going to go with something they're more comfortable with (im still convinced they are gonna skate to les miz. :lol:)
  26. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Becuase Tessa is nobody to Marina, and Meryl is her new daughter? Maybe before OG things will change and Maia will have G-G Moonlight Sonata in FD :lol:

From last season i have impression, Marina all her passion give to Meryl. Marina were small, not such a famouse dancer, like Moiseeva, Pahomova, Linitchuck and never get medals because of her lines and height.
    Now she want to prove - judges were wrong. Of couse Marina had better lines, because in her time nobody hold hands and arms, like Meryl, but who could tell 10 years ago Meryl will be world champion? Only Marina knew this and she want to show- girls, like this, could be iconic in ice dance.
    Doris, i dont want to go to Golden Skate to see what you post there - i am afraid :lol:
    You cant not to see the same start position Meryl and Katia have, the same jumps ect ;)

Tessa could be tottlay different Guisell. It could be drama, madness, love. Like Yu-Na SP was. But because of iconic ballet dancer we will never see this For me its sad :(
  27. flowerpower

Blast from the past...here is Golden Skate's 2007 interview with Tessa and Scott.
    http://www.goldenskate.com/2007/09/interview-with-tessa-virtue-and-scott-moir/

..and I wonder if Scott will get his country music exhibition. ;)

28. flowerpower

Whoa, pani. Doris made a very positive and constructive post. Thank you, Doris.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  29. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Even Nutcracker was given to D-W :D
    Now i am sure T-S will not skate new exibition at WCh. Maybe at CSOI
  30. rainbowkisses

:rofl: naaaaaah she doesnt have the same grace as gordeeva

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

everyone knows that tessa and scott are marina's darlings and that d/w were igor's
    i remember back in 2010 people were calling them the G+G of ice dance (which i hate it when people do :()
    plus its normal for marina to reuse music

anyways i just found out that ekaterina also skated to UoC
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-mLfXXRKdY

music so far that G+G/Katia has skated to that marina has reused:
    V/M:
    umbrellas of cherbourg
    farrucas
    carmen
    mahler

D/W:
    giselle
    die fledermaus

anyone want to add?
  31. pani

pani Well-Known Member

rainbowkisses , they were before 2010 OG. She didnt want to talk about other her skaters at all.
    But things was change since last season. She all time talked about her masterpiece in D-W programs :D
  32. rainbowkisses

tessa and scott also danced to the nutcracker (spanish dance)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ND9giupMwIE
  33. flowerpower

When did they first skate Hallelujah? I think it was at CSOI last year. My guess is they'll try for a new exhibition at home in London, but it'll probably depend on whether there is time to work on one or not.

If I were Marina, I would give each team a variety of choreographic styles to push them and allow them to develop in different areas, in the years leading up to the Olympics. But with Tessa's ballet background, I'd give V/M a ballet FD in the Olympic year. (Just as I'd expect Marina to choose an Olympic program for D/W that would play to a strength.)
  34. pani

pani Well-Known Member

D-W play with to strength this season ;)
    Tessa and Scott did new ex at last season WCh - disco number.
  35. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

According to the My Sergei book, Tatiana Tarasova choreographed this West Side Story program for them in the summer of 1991 (it's one of my all-time favorite G&G programs). AFAIK, Zoueva didn't work with them in their early pro years (1991-92). ETA: G&G's "Pas de Deux" from The Nutcracker Suite was also during this period.
  36. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

With all the recent debate saying that speed is much more important than lines and position, why on earth would V/M want to do a ballet for the Olympics?
  37. rainbowkisses

well time to scratch that one out :lol:
  38. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Why Davis wish to do ballet at all? :lol:
  39. flowerpower

Well, that's a good question and a good point. I'm delighted that V/M took the choreographic risks that they did this season, because I feel their Carmen is a program that will be remembered in ice dance history - a legacy program. What will they want to do in the Sochi Olympic year, which will be their last competitive season? Hopefully another legacy program. Sure they'd like to win, and I think there's still more than one type of program that can be successful (though your point about what seems to be valued today in ice dance is very well-taken). Putting a wonderful ballet program on the ice, possibly with Jennifer Swan's help, would be a statement, and a great way to cap off a career, IMO.
  40. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!