Virtue and Moir 25: Road to home

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by martyross, Feb 11, 2013.

1. pani

pani Well-Known Member

She is one in history two time OGM in ice dance with Evgenii Platon (in 1994 and 1998)/ She said
    But who know- is trhis real Oksana? :lol:

2. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

LOL I just saw Elena's post: You are amazing Tess:) I miss you so much!!!"
    I feel like telling everybody that's a fake Tessa.

3. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Take it easy :) They all know each other, so will find is this is truth.

4. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I know, I felt bad for Elena there. :rofl:

5. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

I was just kidding, I think. Lol but we all know it ain't Tess. It's actually pretty funny.

6. elle123

elle123 New Member

Wow. This thread really blew up since the last time I was here. That IN article is just laughable - I think we can all agree on that. I'm choosing not to read the article in its entirety, just going by what has been discussed on this forum thus far and skimming the article. Does anyone know if Lois Elfman has any actual figure skating/ice dance qualifications or is she purely a journalist? Not that it really matters, I'm just curious.

On a positive note, just watched the promo videos for Ice Sweat Tears and Marina is adorable ... along with Scott and Tessa, of course ;) I can't wait to watch the whole program.

7. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

I suppose we could put it down to imitation being the higest form of flattery but still -- creepy what people will do.

8. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

Sorry what exactly did PJ say. I missed it.

9. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

PJ used a cheese analogy. She said that V-M were this incredibly expensive, exclusive, kind of cheese and D-W were, well, sliced cheese. I found it amusing because I use similar analogies. Just not with cheese, mind you, as I do not particularly like it. But I often say, for instance, that V-M are a lot like Federer: Graceful, effortless in movement, regal, artistic, cerebral, versatile whereas D-W are more like Rafael Nadal: aggressive, very athletic and fast, lethal with one stroke, but very one-dimensional. He wins points almost the same way all the time, but who cares? He always wins them and that is what counts.

I could also say that V-M are Fiona Apple and D-W are Adele, and while I feel it's an apt comparison, I happen to like both, which is certainly not the case with V-M and D-W. No offense to D-W, it's just a matter of taste and they do nothing for me.

10. fscric

fscric Active Member

Not even most of the Federer fanatics would make this kind of comments about Nadal any more.

11. Golightly

This is not a tennis topic, but Nadal is a one-dimensional player. He has three combos that end with him opening the court wide and sending a winner cross-court with his forehand. This is not an insult, there's nothing wrong with having a weapon and using it to win, in fact, I prefer it. Federer has more weapons and often makes the wrong choice.

12. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Yeah, I prefer Nadal to Federer every day of the week and twice on Sundays, so I cringe whenever you bring up that analogy.

13. Golightly

I just mean it style-wise. Federer is very balletic and he has gorgeous footwork, not to mention that he is, perhaps, the most technical player we've seen. Yet, look at the H2H, look who always comes out the winner. So, again, I'm not comparing their results, but their styles and demeanor.

14. rainbowkisses

rainbowkisses Banned Member

lets hope v/m become the next g/p and win back to back gold medals :)

15. chantilly

chantilly Active Member

I think that comment by PJ was a little unfair and not very classy to be honest. I do agree that D and W seem to be forcing this great romantic cheesy story but they are still great skaters and are dancing the hell out of the program. I still find them frantic and find their transitions are sorely lacking. And the choreography as a whole I don't like so much. I do think Carmen is far more sophisticated, cohesive and risky. But D and W are doing great elements. their spin is fantastic and a few of their lifts. I just don't think this program is near as good as last years and I don't thin they should have gone this angle and I don't buy it from them/I hope nest year they go with something more voidy or modern and athletic. I really hope V and M get it together in time for Worlds. Their SD is great and I love their FD despite not loving the changes. They really didn't deserve to win at 4CC. The program lost all spark and momentum after the stop. I want them to win and considering that they were only three points behind with a major stoppage is good news. But I really think whatever happens they will still be considered contenders in Sochi due to this masterpiece of a FD.

16. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

Re: vmfan82's post:

It was absolutely apparent during the fan meet and greet last summer, brief as my interaction was, that Tessa really focusses on the moment. She was at once polished, polite and professional, but also incredibly genuine, warm, and present. I would have been happy enough just to have had the chance to stand opposite them, and to have the opportunity to give them that card filled with the messages we all so wanted them to hear, and it wouldn't have mattered had they treated the meet n' greet as a media obligation and coasted through the interactions. But I left with a memory and then some because I was blown away by the intensity of their focus, how they really considered each and every person, and the depth of their active engagement. I was actually taken aback, it would explain the extent of my contact high, by just how private and intimate the interaction felt for me; when Tessa spoke with me, she was speaking with me, not a single distraction or lapse in eye contact. No matter that she didn't know me from b. That's just classy.

17. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Its unfair to talk PJ said this about D-W, she said this about CHOREO of D-W FD ;) And to be honest, a lot off poeple didnt like Zoueva aand Shpilband choreo at all and all season they started with how bad it is :lol:
    Not talking about i am not sure this is the place for D-W advertisement. But, like alwayse, after this words i am ready to read 10 pages about how bad i am :lol:

18. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

Both of your comparisons are more sophisticated&professional than those used by PJ.
    There is no classy way to call somebody cheep and that is exactly what she did to D&W.

19. pani

pani Well-Known Member

One more time - she didnt call D-W cheep, but choreograhfy of D-W FD ;)

Why nobody notice she said D-W is best ice dance team ever? Because D-W ubers love this even this is couldnt be the truth?
    But you are happy she cold them better, then T-D :lol:

20. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

Precisely. People keep missing this point, that comment was about the choreography of Carmen vs Notre Dame. She even went on to say if it was Carmen vs DF she wouldn't be calling it sliced cheese. And if everyone were honest the Notre Dame program was not well received when it first came out. It was obvious even fans were worried. But it was showered with high marks from it´s debut and got a choreography score of 9.54. Added some bells to highlight moves that were lacking pizzaz and put out a few articles about how they've finally mastered their lack of on ice connection and it was showered with 10s at NHK and people were calling it a masterpiece. PJ on the other hand still saw sliced cheese ;)

21. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

It IS like cheese slices.

22. kosjenka

And what is an ice-dance coulpe - if not their choreography?
    You can have amazing skating skills, lines, edges - it all counts - but If you dont crown it with choreography where all couples swear to be themselves) - everything else is just amazing arsenal not put in the right use.

To me- calling someone's choreography cheep is the biggest insult in ice dancing.

23. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I have different opinion. She said - she didnt touch other PCS, only choreo.
    Plus again, didnt people from year to year were talking about V-M are great, but choreo - no? ;)
    And D-W if they used choreo from past years must be ready someone will didnt like it. But who care, if this someone is not a judge?
    Its not like to tell V-M have bad legs lines - all could see on photos and videos this isnt truth. But in choreo everyone see, what they want to see :)

From first D-W outing with this FD i saw, they will improve it a lot untill WCh. But what i cant understand- why they got so high marks at SA whrere they didnt have FD yet, just some parts? :D
    And i thnk i see from D-W bigest fan post (Doris), that D-W prepared to participate in DWS. So thats why today we read about amazing Davis lines and connection ;)

24. Judy

Judy New Member

I think we are going to have to wait for worlds and try and have faith in v/m.

25. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

Two things. (1) A skater is more than their choreography for instance the Shibs skating Notre Dame will not be as good as D&W skating Notre Dame. (2) Kraft slices does not equal cheap. That isn't where she was going with it. But I guess if that's how you interpret it then you no more understand the cheese analogy than I do the Nadal/Federer or Fiona/Adele ones. I guess the thing to take away from this, for PJ, is Americans don't like or understand cheese so if your blog or thoughts ever get picked up on an American site use something else :p

26. kosjenka

Skaters most certainly are more than their choreography. How they become great skaters and champions without choreography is another question.

There may be a language barrier in comparison, but I will let none attack my cheese knowledge :lol: I am not an American or Canadian.

V&M have sophistication and some innovation in their Carmen free dance. Innovation is tricky under COP with so many things required. They cannot push the barrier as much as Krylova&Ovsiannikova managed with their Carmen, but Tessa&Scott are going quite amazing with what they have in the current system.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  27. vmfan82

vmfan82 New Member

Yes, Bournekraatzfan, I agree about the word thing as well. It is actually disrespectful, especially because it is based on assumption. And whether it is true or not is no one's business anyways. I am glad to read you have also noticed how particularly Tessa interacts with others. It is a wonderul trait of hers now and an asset in the future, regardless of what decides to pursue in the upcoming years :)

28. ofdarkness

ofdarkness New Member

vmfan82, regarding your observations of Tessa's trait and her intense gaze, I believe in their book, Jennifer Swan said that Tessa was the kind of child who stared an adult straight in the eye when she spoke to them. So it's pretty cool that you picked that up! I think this aspect of her personality (and Scott too) plays a role in their connection. When they're on the ice, they look so in the moment that we're drawn in, and we sometimes feel like we're intruding on a private moment. It also probably helped with the injuries because not everyone would just be able to focus on one thing and block out pain like that.

29. icefan1005

icefan1005 New Member

Hello guys! I'm a V/M fan and just recently signed up here on FSU. I don't think I'll be able to post much, but I just wanna say how wonderful you all are and I enjoy all the discussions on this board. I'm also feeling positive about V/M and Worlds. They can do it!

jl22aries, I'm happy you had a positive experience meeting V/M; I'd do anything to meet them and see them live! I've too noticed how focused and composed Tessa is in their interviews. I also like how articulate her answers are. She seems like a smart lady. I also remember reading someone's experience seeing her out and about in Russia. The poster said she looked very gorgeous and regal.

30. iNap

iNap Active Member

She can find more cheep foods for next articals like spams instant noodles, tv diners :D We not have seen biggest insult from her yet. She save good insults for next year ;) What if she may like to throw used underwares. remember PJ love Chanties. Sky is limit :rofl: