Virtue and Moir #22 - To Russia with love

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by martyross, Nov 9, 2012.

1. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

Shay...when you have the time you should definitely give the vid a watch. It's a relatively more intimate interaction with Tess and Scott.

There's a super cute A vs. B rapid fire. Evening vs. morning. Cinema vs. nightclub. Beer vs. vodka etc.

Like someone said up thread, they had an entirely different version of Carmen earlier in the summer, and the one we are lucky to be seeing wasn't conceived until August, which is crazy, to think a couple of months later we were seeing it at Skate Canada.

Tessa talks about her costume, her mom had a big influence on its design. And some of those layers are hand painted. (Their costumes this year are exquisite in quality, hers especially in both the SD and FD. They look lux, as if they could be any more regal. I'd love just a still close up of the beadwork on her SD dress.) It's clear from the interview that Tess and Scott were very deliberately veering away from the traditional portrayal of Carmen...opting for the black outfits, focussing on precise movement vs. "typical" facial movements and "crazy" arms.

They were asked about their preferred roommates. Tess said Joannie and Jeff. Scott enjoyed rooming with the pairs boys...Cody Hay and Craig Buntin. It sounds like they both get their own rooms these days.

When asked about their future...Tess restates that she's interested in academics...psych masters, perhaps business, or law. Scott says he would be interested in giving back...not sure if he'd be patient enough coaching students that weren't really interested in being there (young skaters?) but it seems as though he'd be open to being involved behind the scenes. And he mentions Tess as a choreographer. Tess says perhaps commentating would be one way she'd continue her involvement with the sport.

There's a ton more. And I hope I haven't butchered their original intent with my shorthand. Seriously, go watch it girl!!!

2. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Thanks Jess! I've watched like 5 min of it, but I'll probably finish the rest this week. I did find it sweet and amusing at the same time when they were bombarded with all those gifts.

3. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Many thanks for all the tidbits in the last couple of days. I've watched parts of the fan-cam but when time permits, I guess I'll have to watch the thing in its entirety as well. I leave it up to those more resourceful posters to produce this stuff, but I sure do appreciate all that you do.:)

I do love both of her costumes this year. They suit the programs extremely well. And I know I'm not one of the major posters here but I do hope to catch up with some of you at Worlds......whoever is going to be there. :)

4. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

I am looking forward to seeing this FD live. It is very rare that I get to see my favourite programs live. I think the only one I have seen live is Carmina Burana by A&P, Riverdance by B&K, and Spente le Stelle by D&V

5. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Ijust cannot get this to work - any suggestions? Am I doing something wrong?

6. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

I like the FD costumes a lot. The mesh on Scott's costume is especially interesting. I would have thought that having just one part of one arm in mesh would have looked odd, but it doesn't! Tessa's mom knows what looks good on them!

7. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

I thought it was really neat that her mom was involved with the costuming. Now we know where Tessa's fashion sense comes from. :D

8. Debrah

Debrah Well-Known Member

The costumes are beautiful when they are standing still while in closeup on TV, but I really don't like the way the Carmen skirt moves, it gets stuck too often and then looks akward, or very unattractive, and when the camera pulls back and they are viewed from a distance they do not look as good either. I almost prefer the practice outfits as they are less distracting and I can concentrate on the beautiful skating and the fantastic body shapes instead of wondering about when Tessa's skirt is going to come back down... I totally love what the are doing this season, I think by the time worlds roll around we will see a program for the ages, one that will be talked about for years and years. I am not quite sold on the ending pose, costumes yet, but I trust them to grow and develop the FD throughout the season, it is already got the wow factor, I just want them to put this one into the hall of fame...

9. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

Both the SD and the FD costumes look wonderful live. If I had my pick, I too would love to see them skate Carmen in practice outfits. So would their coaches, according to what Tessa said in the video posted by the Russian fans.:) But the dress doesn't look distracting to me at all, and I've already come to associate it with the program. As for the ending pose, it's just fabulous. I wouldn't change one single move of this program, and I completely trust them to make it flow smoothly in a couple of months' time. After all, they've only had this choreography since August and it's already wowing the world.

10. Sahararainfall

Sahararainfall New Member

I too don't want anything to be changed at all in the FD, even the moves which are giving them trouble. Though I'm still kind of hoping the program would be polished enough for GPF, but I guess I have to be realistic.

11. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

Perhaps you're missing a plug in? Or I've noticed with their videos, occasionally they just stop working for me, and the next day they're fine again (don't know if it's the site or my computer). I'm off to work but when I have a chance, if it's still not working for you I'm happy to do a rough recap of what they say.

12. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

To me the most interesting part of the interview with the Russian fans was the fact that they had different choreography initially for the FD and that it was scrapped and the new one not finished until later in August.

13. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

Do you think that is when they found out that C&L were also skating Carmen and Marina got them to bring Swan in to make this Carmen more unique? ;)

That could also explain why they spent the two weeks doing that CNE show in August that worried some people. Perhaps they wanted to be close to Swan to get lots of work done.

14. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Thanks so much.
    I tried at home and at work and just doesnt work.

15. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

This is exactly what I thought.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2

16. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I have a feeling it was Tessa, not Marina. Marina strikes me as too vain to bring in someone else unless it's for a specialized dance such as the flamenco or Bollywood, or to bring in one of her old friends from Russia to look at the CDs. I imagine she feels she is quite capable of doing a Carmen that can beat C&L/Igor. If anything I want to know how Marina reacted if Tessa suggested it.

17. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

However it happened I'm glad it did, it seems pretty obvious from the fan interview the "art" of the FD came from Swan. Though they are both very careful to give equal billing and won't commit to a percentage ;)

eta..About to open a can of worms here but I've been wondering about Igor's wife since Skate Canada. She is named on icenetwork as part of the coaching team for C&L and was there in the K&C but when I looked at that time she is also still listed as a coach at Canton (Igor had been removed from the list so the list was updated). So maybe Marina gave her blessing to send them up to Swan away from prying eyes :D

I personally think Marina and Swan are a good combination creatively and hope they continue that relationship into 2014.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  18. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

Say what you will, but artists have a unique style that you can recognize. Most of what I see in this FD didn't come from Marina. This is not what she does. Of course, she probably was the one who pieced it together. But those moves weren't created by her. As for her being vain, I doubt that too. Otherwise she wouldn't have accepted help from an outside choreographer.

I'm very happy they'll continue working with Swan. She's helped them create their two best free dances now, that must tell you something.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk 2

19. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

I wouldn't change anything in the choreography, but I kinda agree with you about the dress. I wish she had a dress/female version of Scott's outfit...something even simpler than the dress she has now. I think the simplicity of the practice clothes is what's making the practice sessions of Carmen seem more intense to me somehow. And you're right about the skirt having a tendency to get stuck; in the beginning of this practice video Meyers posted on ff Scott actually pulls down the skirt after it rides up again lol: http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=xCo6RA8hzjc

20. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Hi, guys! I am happy you enjoy all backstage stuff from CoR.
    I have impression, most V-M fans are from Russia. :lol: When they return to the hotel after FD people was so loud, i think T-S were in a little shock :D
    And i think they need one more suitcase for bring all there presents to Canada.

21. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

I thought Swan was located in London? Toronto is just as far from London as Canton.

Marina doesn't strike me that way at all, especially as she had already worked with Jennifer Swan for the Pink Floyd FD. If she were really vain, she wouldn't have allowed the flamenco, or Bollywood, or this year's FD for the Shibs.

22. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

How did you enjoy the competition and what was your reaction when you saw the programs live? They really do have amazing fans in Russia! Were you there for the fan interview? I'm glad they know how much they are appreciated.

23. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I think those are different because flamenco, Bollywood, Japanese dance, and even modern are all specialized dance forms in which Marina doesn't claim to be expert. Carmen is classical, and within Marina's wheelhouse, so I'd be surprised if she'd suggest using a different choreographer, as opposed to allowing one. YMMV of course and I fully admit my opinion is colored by my dislike of Marina and her general style. :lol:

That's really interesting! Can anyone confirm that she's still physically at Canton?

24. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I was so nervouse, that maybe i couldnt enjoy there programs on 100% :)
    SD have so many a little nuances, moves. They look busy in this SD. ;) And body moves look such soft and beautifull. And honestly i like T-S polka steps - they show good knees work and theye lines were amazing. Hope work with Maurizio will help them to get higher level next time.
    In SD SS i think they try to show such a deep edges. Maybe they fix every edge during 10 sec. But still get level 3....
    As for Carmen... I must say people like this FD and when they did encour at exibitions people was like - yes!!!! And was impressed with last lifts so much.
    And they did last SS from FD in exibition with so much power, speed and lightners..... I was impressed. So i am sure thei will look like this at WCh.
    I was wonder they did FD only in August. So how we could ask from them skating on 100% at GP in this situation? This FD is SO difficult. I think they are nervouse, but this is really epic FD for sure. I am happy TAT gave them standing ovations after SD and FD.
    Its understanding, they need to show more power and speed but they have a lot of time untill WCH - they will made this, i belive. :)
    Scott said he is bad in modern dancing. O no - he is one of the best male skaters in ice dance. And he look so great in this black outfit.
    Tessa asked - will there fans be in Sochi. Someone will be and i hope they will support them.
    I feel sorry foe Alex and Maia look so upset and i think things wasnt good fro him from the begining. I hope they will be OK and will show this beautiful FD. At practice i like this FD very much.
    I found Zueva interaction with V-M a little different, then before. I have imperssion, they change choreo and she didnt know how amazing this FD will look like :) So now she try to do for D-W something better. And i think you all read her interview with Vaitsehovskay. She said about D-W better, then there first team and must took gold in Nice :D
    And i am so happy i saw Hallelujah "live". It was so sensual, emotional....

25. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

Thanks for your report, pani!

Interesting! What gave you this impression?

26. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Dont know, just speculation. When guys said they changed all choreo in August i was like - WOW... And start thinking they could made it during show in Toronto. But, like you said, if Swan based in London, maybe they did this before. A lot of questions :D
    And like all see from fan meeting, they still talking Marina did this FD for them. But they didnt smile, like before. Its stupid, but i didnt see such love to Tessa in her eyes, like before. Maybe just me.
    And D-W now try to work with new choreograhfer, why they didnt made this before?
    For me look, like all Zueva teams change prgrams during summer. Feel bad for all of them. But they are strong and hope they will have good luck at WCh.
    And one more - Zueva try to talk about masterpiece FD for Shibs, when all journalists talked only about V-M "Carmen". She wasnt happy people ignore her and went to press-conference to see the winners :)

27. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Pani did you notice that Scott kissed Marina again?

I think that D&W are worried as everyone says their's is generic and so they are bringing fresh input.

So which one are you among the fans???

28. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

I had the same feeling about the polka. It was the biggest pattern and skated so smoothly. Hopefully they manage to nail those key-points.

And yes, the Carmen ending from the gala was absolutely great.

29. Manaud

Manaud New Member

I think the SD needs to be seen live to be appreciated. The costuming, music and edges were just spectacular. I cannot understand why so many are still not enjoying this program

30. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Yes, he love Marina and need her :) And i notice he kissed Marina after practice and didnt kissed TAT - we was a little worry, but then i saw on video he kissed TAT at the begining of practice. I have impression Scott afraid TAT ;)
    At first practice T-S went to Gorshkov and Pissev and said them thanks for invitation to CoR and good organization.. Its look funny.
    And i need to notice, judges was at every ice dance practice. Galina Gordon-Poltorak, Shehovtsova and referee (Van der Broke i think) several times had big discussion about some elements. I was afraid they were talking about gigven illigal element to T-S.

I didnt saw video yet, sorry.