Virtue and Moir #22 - To Russia with love

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by martyross, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

I prefer my super hd copy of Mahler that has no commentary :)

2. marikat

marikat Active Member

3. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Kudos to Russian fans for their strong support of Tessa & Scott. One can see that T&S were really touched with all the cute gifts etc. As Tessa said they had two banners in Russia and in Canada they have often have none.

My banner is ready and if any of you fans are going to Nats let me know and I will give it to you to hang up there. I can then take it back for worlds.

4. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Yes, stunningly gorgeous both of them. :swoon: Does the red flower on Scott's lapel have any particular meaning or did he wear it just to brighten up his overall look a little?

Thanks for bringing those pictures here.

5. marikat

marikat Active Member

6. walei

walei Well-Known Member

That's a poppy, Canadians (and I think Brits do also) wear it during November to commemorate Remembrance Day which is our Veteran's day.

7. marikat

marikat Active Member

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  8. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

9. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Thank God!

I wonder if C&L somehow ended up with that first version, care of Igor... :shuffle:

10. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

This is google translate from the first of the three links marikat posted:

I'm very intrigued by them not saying with 100% certainty that they'll retire after Sochi. I expect them to retire but it's interesting that they're not saying it's a sure thing.

11. Judy

Judy New Member

I would be shocked if the choregraphy wasn't a combination of Marina and Swan.

12. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

Could you imagine if both teams had skated a replica program? OMG! :eek:

13. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Links to reports based mostly on the post skate interviews:

FD
    SD

14. Lexxandra

Lexxandra Active Member

15. Sahararainfall

Sahararainfall Active Member

Someone was shouting stop during the rotational. Sounds like Marina, but I'm not sure. Playing catch up with things. Can't decide if I like the FD from SC over CoR because the camera work for CoR is bugging me. Cameraman likes Tessa's eyes though, lots of eye focus in the SD and during the Ex. :) Watching the gala practice vids, getting a kick out of them practicing polka during gala practice. Love, love the Russian VM fans, not just for their vocal support during the comp but for sharing lots of media goodies to us all. Thanks! (Where is pani btw?)

ETA: I am glad they are using Hallelujah as their Ex, really loving the contrast between Tessa the seductress in Carmen and Tessa the guardian angel in Hallelujah, at least that's my interpretation for that number. :)

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  16. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

I know!
    It was Marina. They didn't hear her at first, but when they did they stopped; it looked like they were gonna collide with another team.

And ditto about the Russian fans they are amazing.

I'm glad Jennifer Swan's input was able to take the program from typical to extraordinary.

17. Lissa

Lissa New Member

The commentator here from Switzerland actually gasps near the end when they do the backflip lift & you hear them going crazy after the program ends, it's so cute!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LKlLRD5Bry8

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  18. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

:lol: It sounded like it really took them by surprise.....

19. Twilight1

If it was the first time they saw that program, ITA that it is shock worthy. The more I watch that program the more I love it. I think I have watched it 20 times now. New fave program since B&K's Adagio.

20. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Awesome reaction. It sounds like they're speaking French though.

21. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

That's because they are. ;) Swiss French.

22. Twilight1

In Switzerland there are 4 official languages isn't there?

23. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

So any theories on why Marina was telling them to abort the lift? Did she perhaps see that another couple were heading in their direction AGAIN.

Russian V/M fans are getting a SO from this Canadian. Those fans ROCKED!

24. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

That lift...hell yeah I gasped when I saw it for the first time. It couldn't have been helped.

Random thoughts to add to the pile...

I loved seeing that video of Tess and Scott meeting their oh so supportive Russian fans. It makes me happy any time I see them being reminded of their impact on their fans. Any time they get to receive a little back...with everything we've gotten from them, is just a wonderful thing.

Thank you Emdee and every one else who pitched in to create a banner.

Their skates this weekend were beautiful. Aside from the infuriating camera work! Though, I agree those close up eye shots are amazing and thanks for posting that gif from the beginning of their SD, those eyes can tell stories.

ETA: my French is super rusty...anybody able to translate the Swiss Eurosport broadcast?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  25. lulu

lulu New Member

Thank you so much to everyone who made videos! I really appreciate it. Watching the SD (I'm always going to think of it as the OD), I wish they still had CD, because I think V&M would continue to have beautiful compulsories. I love Carmen more and more with each viewing, it really is a special program. And the exhibition, :swoon: Anyone who skates to Jeff Buckley's version of Halleluah is a rockstar in my book, the only way this program could be better would be if they skated to the K.D. Lang version. ;)

26. ddtpdx

ddtpdx New Member

Notwithstanding the aborted lifts, is it my imagination or did the choreographic lift after the 2nd attempt of the rotational lift have much more flow than we've ever seen?

27. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

Jess, here's the translation:

-Shame on us for having doubted their choice! Bizet's "Carmen", arranged by Shchedrin, fits Virtue and Moir like a glove. This is a fantastic program!
    -And better skated than at Skate Canada. This is really… truly impressive.
    -Let's leave it at that: "really, really…"
    -Even Tatiana Tarasova gives a standing ovation. To a Canadian couple. It says everything.
    -They are extraordinary. When the best ice dancers in the world revisit a classic, it never gets old. Excellence transcends the most famous themes. We had doubted this choice; not anymore. Virtue and Moir will win this Cup of Russia, that's obvious. Not only that, but they attack the season, having the best possible assets under their belt: talent, genius even, because Tessa Virtue is an absolutely breathtaking Carmen.
    -She reinvents herself… Look at this lift! (the first one) She reinvents herself, because her own personality is nothing like Carmen.
    -Yes, she's milder. Here, the beginning is almost sexual, the way they touch each other. They play with the tension, it's volcanic…
    -Exactly, it's a volcanic interpretation. And there are portions of contemporary dance, perfectly incorporated. Everything works in this program, including the costumes. Both are in black and I find it admirable that they avoided the cliché of having Tessa Virtue wear a red dress.
    -They searched deeper than anyone has before them. And not only into the darkness of the character, whom we are used to seeing shining brightly. There's drama in Merimee's story.
    -Look at this lift! (the rotational one) It's not even a lift anymore, it's acrobacy, but within the rules. Which is remarkable, because the rules often prevent skaters from performing this kind of interesting and spectacular moves. They succeed in stepping beyond the framework.
    -She's transfigured in the end. She's not the Tessa Virtue we know, and that's great. I have bad news for all the ice dancers in the world: the leaders are not going to give up their place, especially not with a program like this one. Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir are on top. The score is the highest of the night, obviously.
    - But it's still 10 points under their personal best.
    -I'd say it was undermarked.
    -Yes.
    -And they're not very pleased. They can do much better.
    -But that doesn't change anything.
    -It was better than at Skate Canada, they deserved a higher score. No doubt, for the Grand Prix Final… Actually, I have a piece of information for you.
    -They are qualified for the GPF. No surprise there.
    -You can watch Virtue and Moir again on Eurosport, at the GPF.

I agree about the terrible camera work at CoR. Aside from Tessa's close-up in the end and a great close-up of their profiles in the "crazy/violent" scene, the SC video is much better.

I almost couldn't watch the practice video from Saturday, but then, when I did, I realized the aborted finale hadn't been so bad. I wasn't exactly their fault, which if you can believe it, I didn't even see at the time! I was worried when I saw them lose concentration after the first bad lift, I kept thinking it was the last practice before competition, with all the judges there... It felt worse live, than it does on video.:)

euler likes this.
  28. elle123

elle123 Member

I can see why. At the time, you didn't know everything would be fine, but anyone who didn't see it live could only assume that everything was okay since we didn't hear otherwise. I thought it was common decency for skaters to skate in circles and stay away from center ice when other skaters are practicing to their music, or at least be more mindful about getting out of their way.

29. Twilight1

Cool commentary! Thanks!

I read somewhere that V&M were about to collide with I&K and Marina yelled and they stopped the lift at the end of the FD runthrough.

30. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

When I saw the way they handled the aborted lift, all I could think is "that's why V/M are champions." They just turned around and did the lift again, did it perfectly, and Scott even sang the music for it! That's a kind of mental fortitude few people have.