Virtue and Moir #22 - To Russia with love

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by martyross, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

I think nostalgia is kicking in here. I do not believe that all 3 teams were amazing every year when they were the top teams. Each team seemed to have their stand outs much like the skaters today. I thought 2005-2007 were a couple great years for programs in ice dance. I also think code of points has been used an excuse long enough to not put any creative thought into the programs. There are plenty of examples in this era of beautiful skating within the CoP system. IE; D&W's Indian OD, D&S Frida, D&L's Somewhere in time, At Last, V&M's Pink Floyd, their 2011 FD and now Carmen.

Even in 1997, G&P, K&O, A&P and B&K had great programs from 1996-1998. ( well B&K's OD's sucked)

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  2. marikat

marikat Active Member

3. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

That sounds awesome! With that dress I wonder why they didn't just do a bit from the SD, lol.

Thanks for that since it's the only report on the gala I've seen... would love to hear your impressions of the others also. :)

4. Judy

Judy New Member

I was away for the weekend so just catching up .. saw someone post that Igor had made a comment about the judging and Carmen? What was that about?

5. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

Not sure where a link is now but I think it's referring to answers Igor gave in an interview after Skate Canada where he timed their SD lift off a youtube video and thought they should have had a time deduction. The when asked the inevitable question about the two Carmen FDs said he spoke to judges and they preferred C&Ls version. No mention of how many judges he polled ;)

6. Twilight1

Just rehashing what Igor had said last week after Skate Canada

7. Judy

Judy New Member

okay I missed that? I don't remember reading anything negative.

8. marikat

marikat Active Member

9. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

Thanks! I think the trouble I have with the SD is the waltz is inward-focused, while the polka is outward-focused. Either they should dance the polka with that inward-focus as well, or develop the storyline so that we know that the polka is done at a public dance while the rest of the FD tells their private story. I get a Downton Abbey sort of feel from it, so it could be believable that the polka is the dance they do together when they first meet in public after the initial attraction, but the way the choreo is before the polka, it's not very clear.

10. Lissa

Lissa New Member

11. HSGP21

HSGP21 New Member

12. HSGP21

HSGP21 New Member

13. Proustable

Proustable New Member

When Tessa and Scott skate like they did in the Hallelujah gala at CoR, I'm not convinced they're two people - the level of connection they share is beyond peerless. It really is a privilege to be able to watch these two.

List off the great programs from the 88/89 season to the 91/92 season: OSPs, OD, and FDs. Artistic programs that use skate language in order to convey their artistry will be the heading. I'll do the 06/07 to 09/10 quad

re: Farrucas and Loudness

I KNOW. People who've only seen the NBC coverage don't know what they're missing. Watch the last half of the B. Eurosport coverage. Their first words after the dance: "I'm amazed they could hear their music by the end." Easily one of the most electrifying moments in ice dance ever.

14. Lissa

Lissa New Member

LOL I think he is full of it...:rolleyes:

15. Lexxandra

Lexxandra Active Member

16. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

Was wonderful to see the banners for Tess and Scott. The Rssian fans really embraced them. :respec:

17. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

Indeed, I was very happy to see that too. (Patrick Chan has a huge number of Russian fans as well, the audience loved him. So did I, his skating was sublime.)

Among the countless banners dedicated to the "perfect angel" Johnny Weir (not kidding, he had wings and all), there were two big ones for Tessa and Scott, placed in different corners of the arena. One of them was a picture of the Funny Face final pose, in practice outfits, and it said "Our dream is Sochi 2014". The other was a photo from the press conference at Finlandia and it said "To Tessa and Scott: From Russia with love".:)

18. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

19. ddtpdx

ddtpdx New Member

20. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  21. martyross

martyross Active Member

so much heart, passion and personality in this "Russian" Carmen! everything was magnificent! what a privilege to witness the progress of this work of art :)

22. Twilight1

I watched the SC fd and the CoR FD back to back and I preferred the silhouette poses they had at SC better than CoR but preferred CoR version more. Looking forward to seeing this again even more refined at the GPF next month

23. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

24. sequins

sequins Active Member

I never watched their coverage before of the Olys. Hearing the crowd is great, I didn't realize it was that loud. But I also can't believe some of their comments. I watched this and the FD and they actuallly thought the FD would be second and was less difficult than D/W? Also the comment about the OD how the beginning was 'out of sync' or something. What!?! What are you watching? Normally I love listening to them and their opinions but this combined with their insistance that V/M have a new coach this season has me yelling at my computer.:lol:

25. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Heh, yeah, their comments are rather confusing at the Olympics. But then they tend to be sometimes.

I don't know how the assisted lift/kick that leads into the "and and we're insane" part of the dance, but it feels pretty awesome even when off. I hope they can nail it. Especially since it kickstarts the greatest section of the dance.

ETA: I find it intriguing that the dancers Nicky mentions are Moiseeva/Minenkov and the Duchesnays in his comments, as opposed to any others.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  26. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

I don't watch Brit Eurosport version of Olys. Much prefer BBc with Robin Cousins who had Tess and Scott winning all the way. His comments about Mahler are especially strong:cheer2:

27. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

28. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

I hadn't seen it. Thank you. They seem really moved by the support they received from the Russian audience and fans. Before this they had only competed in Russia once, but I think it must be quickly becoming one of their favourite places to skate. That's good for Sochi. Way to go, guys!

29. marikat

marikat Active Member

30. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member