Virtue and Moir #22 - To Russia with love

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by martyross, Nov 9, 2012.

1. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

So do I. I feel like they have just as much artistry and connection, but they're doing so much more difficulty and they have so much more power across the ice.

2. Fort

Fort New Member

Thanks again, Ioana... I almost wish I hadn't read that, because I'm not going to find out how they did until much later today, LOL. But it just goes to show, like you said, how difficult what they are doing actually is, no matter how easy they can make it look.

A step sequence too big for the arena... maybe that's what happened to them at SC!

3. Lissa

Lissa New Member

Any video from Eurosport coverage yet for the SD? thanks

4. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

Whats up with Eurosport guys saying all the time how Marina Zueva is their new coach?
    Marina was coach together with Igor?
    Or was she only the choreographer?
    what am I missing?

5. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

Perhaps. Also keep in mind, North American rinks are typically NHL size ie. about 4 meters narrower than International rinks. I always wondered how skaters would need to adjust their programs to fill the rink, depending where they compete.

6. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Omg Ioana thanks for your report, but now I'm seriously nervous for them. It seems like they've been trying to overcome nerves moreso in this season than in previous ones. I hope they have an amazing skate today regardless! And thanks again.

7. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

If they're nervous it's because they're doing things that are more technically difficult and challenging themselves artistically at the same time. I'm sure it would've been much easier doing a style like Carmen if they were in their comfort zone doing all their old elements.

I'm just so happy about their direction this season. Remember how everyone was freaking out about Funny Face last season? Scott was so upset after GPF, some of us wanted them to leave Marina, and then when they won the World title we thought it'd never happen and therefore they would never change styles. They ended up sticking with her, but with completely unexpected and wonderful material. Didn't rest on their laurels at all. They're always going for that little bit extra now to make their programs masterpieces that will stand up to the great teams of all time. It takes me back to the days of Anissina & Peizerat. :)

8. Macassar88

9. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

I missed it. What happened in the diagonal step sequence that they only got a level 2? I see that the PCS is still quite strong, so the judges like this. A few more level 4's across the board too.

10. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Haven't seen the video, but how come their score didn't improve from SC?

11. Macassar88

I felt like they lacked energy and attack - they also got behind the music for a good amount of it (including their combo lift which is set so perfectly to the music usually) and didn't get back on until the next music change.

12. Golightly

Just watched it. My first impression is that they were off, but I am happy they have a month to clean up the program and bring it. Today, it was cleaner but less controlled if that makes sense. I still do not see what happened during the diagonal step sequence, but the Russian stream was so bad, I could barely notice their steps. They seemed pleased, though, and I am too because this is a work in progress and the more they work on it, the better it will get. Marina was nodding a lot, too, meaning she likes the direction this is going.

13. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

Don't have the time to elaborate too much right now, I'll do that when I get to the hotel. You're right, they were off and nervous. But they were also relieved and okay with the scores. They knew they didn't skate as well as they can. My first impression was that they were slow and cautious. Probably because of the lift problem, and also because of the pressure. My fear right now isn't that they won't improve, but that they're getting more and more affected by stress. They will have to work on that. The big plus is that the program really has an impact on the audience. Even with them being slower than usual, by the time they got to the final lift people were cheering. There was a collective wow around me. What I also liked was that they were more sensual than at SC, so in that sense, yes, they were less controlled.

14. Golightly

I feel they are more nervous when they feel they HAVE to win. When they compete with D-W, I feel that pressure is at least shared between the top 2. I would say this was a more successful Grand Prix round for them than last year. There were many doubts about their programs last year. Right now I feel they know the programs are there, they just need more practice. That is also why I think they were pleased with the scores.

I wish they explained where the deduction came from. Was it for the choreographic lift? It looked a lot less smooth this time around.

15. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Thank you! Can't wait to see your reports later on. And you too Pani.

16. walei

walei Well-Known Member

I was so nervous for them after IoanaC's practice report (Thanks for the great report!! BTW) and also Patrick Chan. I was actually at a birthday party with heavy drinking :lol: yet I still have the constitution to spam FSU on my phone to check the results.

Glad they both skated relatively well (V/M and Patrick) and I am anxious to see the video for V/M. Some from the pbp thread said it was better skated than SC but some said they are more tentative. I'm just glad they got through the program without any major lifting glitches after their practice.

17. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

That's my big concern for them right now as well: nerves and stress. The improvement in the programs is going to come; they had such a short turn around between SC and CoR, they really couldn't do a lot of work. They have time before the GPF. They're doing all new elements, which is obviously not as easy as doing things you've done many times before, and the GOE's will come on those with time. For all the shouting that they're suffering without Igor, I remind everyone again that last year when Igor was still there all of the Canton teams had trouble getting their levels at some point in time. I think the only problem they have right now is nerves. They just need to settle down and get those under control.

18. sequins

sequins Active Member

I just watched it and I thought there were parts of it that were much improved from SC. The last lift looked like a struggle and the spin travelled a bit but overall I thought it was good. Their intensity from SC didn't seem to be there as much and maybe lacking a bit of speed but it's hard to tell from that video, half to watch it on CBC in an hour and see. But hey the commentators loved it andTatiana Tarasova was there and gave them a standing O so it can't be all bad:) It's a work in progress and I'm glad don't want it perfect yet. One thing I would change is when Tessa kicks her leg, where they had the error at SC but kinda saved it. Today I don't no if it was perfect either but it didn't look right and maybe that would be something they could change IMO.

BTW what is up with I/K? That music and her outfit is just...I don't no whether to :lol:or:(or:scream:Morosov what have you done to them?

19. Golightly

I watched it again. The first half, which includes the twizzles is unbelievably smooth. I still do not see why the level 2 in the diagonal step sequence, which is one the most genius things I have ever seen them do. Anyone help me?

Oh, I like that part where she kicks her leg! It is very risky but I would not change it? Today it looked better.

20. sequins

sequins Active Member

I like it to but I'm just not sure, while better today, if it wasn't a problem again. I know risk, risk they like risk....Ok nevermind keep it;)

21. Judy

Judy New Member

Is anything available through YouTube yet? I am out of town and just popping in and out of the hotel room to check.

22. Golightly

And a major "what the hell?" to that judge who gave them a 0 for the rotational lift. Also, there are a bunch of twos for the diagonal step sequence but also a zero and a minus one? I mean, from 2 to minus one? The hell? For a DiSt to get a minus one there must have been a glaring mistake and I didn't see it. I like that the judges are harsher this season, but some are getting carried away.

23. marikat

marikat Active Member

24. Lissa

Lissa New Member

Clearly that judge needs to be brought up, he or she is in your face cheating & obviously does not like V&M. There is no instance in the known world that could make a judge give them a 0 or -1 so therefore that judge should be in serious trouble.

25. Golightly

I do note sarcasm, or at least I hope so. See, of course any top team could get -GOEs, even Virtue and Moir. I am just saying that whatever that judge saw in that diagonal step sequence that would merit a -1, I didn't see it. Same goes for the judge who didn't think much of the rotational lift. There are GOEs that do not reflect what you saw on the ice. However, I was not there and they, of course, notice more things than we do.

26. Lissa

Lissa New Member

Scott was just interviewed here in Canada on CBC & he said that they were very happy with the skate & they got a seasons best so they did improve the score from SC;)
    From what I saw while he was talking the skate looked great, they did not seem nervous either imo.

edit...there score was 103 so not sure how that is a seasons best when they got 104 at SC:confused:

Ok so they meant for the full score, not just the FD. That is how it was higher than SC lol

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  27. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Probably because they actually got seasons best for SD and total scores.

28. Golightly

The overall score was a season's best.

29. Lissa

Lissa New Member

I think that all the skaters at Skate America in the ice dance were over scored, not sure what happened there but the judges at that first grand prix seemed a little too light & eager to give out too high scores.:confused:

aka_gerbil and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Golightly

Anyway, back to things that make sense. I love the twizzles, that might be my favorite element so far.