Virtue and Moir #22 - To Russia with love

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by martyross, Nov 9, 2012.

1. martyross

martyross Active Member

Thanks again Ioana! you're a fantastic reporter! :)
    my goodness, they were so smooth in the SD it was like seeing them skate in the butter, don't know how to say it! yea they added some little details so that the characters are better portrayed, they look like theater actors! their talent never ends to amaze me :eek: if Tessa was nervous she covered it well because she looked so confident as did Scott. they were regal, i would watch them for hours just to see their carriage and elegance. this lovely program is coming out so well, i adore the one from 2011 but i think this one may become my favorite SD! they just make me dream

2. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

Maybe the next time it happens, they need to bust out the hockey moves and body check I/K. :p

Thanks for your report!

3. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

I so agree!

At one point during a break - I think it was the first group of ice dancers, they played "I Am the Walrus" in the arena, and I immediately thought of you, Marty!:lol:

4. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Thank you so much Ioana for your very nice detailed reports. It's wonderful to have that first hand reporting.........almost like we are all there :)

5. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Thanks Ioana.
    I watched with bated breath at my computer but your reporting really puts the finishing touches to the picture.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  6. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Thank you.
    These ladies must really admire Scott because I've noticed they focus on just him a lot in this video and others.

7. martyross

martyross Active Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl: omg! my dream is going to a competition and showing a banner that says "I am your Walrus, Tessa and Scott!" :lol:

8. martyross

martyross Active Member

The italian tv commentator said that Tessa and Scott looked like a king and a queen on the ice :swoon:
    and said that the lift is risky because she jumps an axel to enter the lift and he has to catch her while she rotates. also, both commentators larved at Tessa's expression at the beginning, saying that "she speaks with her eyes" and one of them said that watching this program, she has felt the same magic of Mahler FD at the olympics. they mentioned their long lines and Tessa's long arms. and a lot of other wonderful words about them :swoon:

9. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

10. DFJ

DFJ Well-Known Member

Tessa said once they had to feel each other's heartbeat before going on the ice.

11. sequins

sequins Active Member

SD is BEAUTIFUL. I love it even more than I did at SC. Not to worried about levels as everyone seems to be struggling with that (cause no one knows what they're looking for) but anyways it's magic.

When I watch this I keep laughing because of Morozov in the background. I'm talking to my computer screen saying keep your eye on him Tess, don't get to close.

12. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Thank you so much, IoanaC!

So good that they did better than at SC, but I didn't doubt that they would. Still, a bit worried about polka levels. Sinitsina and Zhiganshin managed to get level 3 and 4. Monko and Khaliavin got level 4 too, although the other sequence was level 2. So, it's not like no one is able to get level 4. But I really hope that Tessa and Scott will get this sorted out until GPF. Overall, I liked their performance better than at SC, but that's understandable.

13. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Thanks for the link! I found some "cute" things while watching
    1) I like MM in glasses!
    2) Marina holding the hand of first Scott and then Tessa while they do a couple of knee bends
    3) how both MM and Marina seem to key in on Tessa & Scott while the Shibs seem left on their own. Now that could be just because we didn't see things earlier but I like how Marina is very much there for these two
    4) liking how Scott made his way out from the crowd and off to the side where he is later joined by Tessa, MM & Marina. Guess he didn't feel the need to stay bunched up with the rest.

OK, now my question regarding the person posting this video and the other one of the warmup. I noticed that the title had Findlandia and when it first loaded I thought I was seeing the wrong thing cause I knew Tessa & Scott didn't go there this season but then when I saw them come out in their outfits, I knew it was for this season sooooo ... did the person who so wonderfully uploaded these files simply make a mistake in the title? Not trying to be nasty but if someone were trying to find the video using CoR or anything along those lines, my guess is those videos wouldn't come up. Anyone have any guesses as to why the difference in title? I'm just curious.

14. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

I really feel for the Shib's. They are not one of my fave teams but I found it kind of bummerish that MM and MZ kind of ignored them. I think they need to find new coaches stat. Really surprised they didn't go with Igor.

I also liked this video for the funny factor. Yes stay far far away from Morozov! Last thing we need to read about is him being with Tessa!

15. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

16. ddtpdx

ddtpdx New Member

Thanks IoanaC!

I have a few choice words about the current application of keypoints as levels to the compulsory dance patterns that are now embedded in the SD, but I am so tired, so not sure I will be able to express my self clearly. But here goes...how can the levels be different? They are supposedly doing all the same steps, which is very different from other aspects of the SD and FD (where the steps are very different). As I recall, levels for the various portions of the CDs (before the SD was introduced) were the same for everyone and it was only the GOEs that were scored. I'm sorry, but the fact that Sinitsina and Zhiganshin received a combined score on the YP higher than V/M (who I consider to be the best CD skaters of their generation) should raise questions about the validity of the current assignment of levels on only the key steps as well as the relative contribution of levels and GOE to the dance pattern portion.

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  17. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

I'm trying to find out what part made them snobs?? My best guess is the bit about the lifts BUT it's a fact, there are obviously much simpler ways to get a level four lift.

Anyone using THOSE quotes against were desperately looking for something and gleefully twisting any meaning there.

18. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

Tessa and Scott being called snobs for some of their comments today is really rubbing me the wrong way. I sort of equated what they said about the lifts to how some of the jumps can be for the singles skaters. We all know that what is considered an easier jump according to CoP can actually be a harder jump for some skaters and what is considered a harder jump actually easier. What CoP considers more difficult isn't always the case for each particular skater or team.

19. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Yea I read the article twice and I'm just like which part is snobbish?! Actually they were pointing to the part where Tessa used the duck analogy :rolleyes:.

20. Judy

Judy New Member

Why waste time worrying about what others say behind an anoymous internet keyboard .. there will always be negativity in the skating world .. I don't pay attention.

21. iggie

iggie Well-Known Member

was interesting to see how little they have to do to get a level4 on the lift. i'm watching this version while thinking that they initially wanted to flip her around his neck (plus whatever else that we didn't get to see) and that when all she has to do is stay on his shoulders? this plus the spin and how he touches her, reaching over to touch her face, while spinning... no extra mark but added difficulty. this is the first season where i can see how much extra they give to please themselves. they could please the judges with a whole lot less.

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  22. iggie

iggie Well-Known Member

and thanks for using my suggestion for the thread title.

23. sequins

sequins Active Member

Agreed Judy. You'll drive yourself crazy trying to figure people out. A lot of them probably don't even know why they don't like them but hey any excuse will do.There's nothing there that is 'snobbish'. These people obviously just don't like V/M and instead of just saying so and leaving it at that they feel the need to bash them and make stuff up that's just not there to make themselves feel better about their 'hate'. Success breeds hate, unfortuately.

24. iggie

iggie Well-Known Member

when tessa and scott fall or slip or miss a twizzle, haters concentrate on that. i didn't hear anything at sc about how fat tessa was or how snobbish they were. now that tessa and scott skated so well, now the petty, baseless criticism comes out. imo.

25. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

Just for context the duck analogy was the answer to a question in the press conference stating that they looked so calm before their skate and whether they get nervous before competition and if so how do they cope with it. Tessa said she was very nervous and put a lot of pressure on themselves, quack quack....

26. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I thought the comparison to a duck was great: you don't see any effort in their skating, it's true.

If people are going to pick on those totally innocuous politically correct comments, then Scott might as well go back to saying they're the most artistic team of the last 10 years, since that was far more entertaining. :p Not to mention it's true.

27. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

Tracy Wilson has pointed this out before but I think this season with both their programs it becomes more obvious to the viewers as well. It really stood out to me tonight watching the slow motion replay of the opening their SD on a link in the pbp thread. The commitment to telling a story while executing all the elements. I was blasé about their SD at SC, tonight I was intrigued. I really think this year they have two excellent programs that will be stunning by Worlds. So excited to watch the season unfold.

28. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

I remember Tess used the duck analogy in their book. I truly think they are the best ever. I even love them more than I did Torvil and Dean, and I didn't think that would ever be possible. Thanks for all the links, pics and vids. You all are amazing! :fan:

29. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

Well, adventurous practice for Tessa and Scott. They practiced the lifts and the step sequences before it was their turn with the music, everything looked great, the did the beginning and then... the combination lift got stuck. She couldn't hold her position, he managed to hold her without dropping her. It wasn't pretty. They were nervous, lost concentration, skated a little through the music until the finale and had to abort the famous rotational lift as well. The music ended and, a few seconds later, they tried it again. This time it worked and I have absolutely no idea how Scott managed to provide comic relief by singing the ending himself, while twirling Tessa around!:lol: They were relieved, the people in the audience were relieved (about 30 press members and photographers), everybody cheered and clapped. They did the combo lift again, twice - the first time Tessa didn't hold her position enough, the second time it was perfect. When they left the ice there was clapping and cheering again (none of the other skaters received this special treatment:))
    I panicked for a moment, and I'm sure I'm going to be very nervous tonight, but I'm also aware that incidents like that will continue to happen as they perfect the program. When you look at the elements piece by piece, as they perform them in practice, it's even more obvious how unbelievably difficult it is, and how easy it would be to screw it up. It's like walking on a tight rope. They're taking major risks, but it's obvious that people love and respect them for that.
    So, I hope they get "in the zone" again, to concentrate for tonight.

Other impressions: the Shibs have great costumes; I couldn't really get the feel of the program, because they skipped through the choreo parts and only did step sequences (which weren't great, I have to say...) and lifts (new for them, as far as I could tell). It's interesting to compare teams when you watch them live. Elena and Nikita have speed and power, but not much finesse; with the Shibs it's the other way around. Unfortunately for them, power gets you more points. Their step sequences felt a bit shallow and they don't cover much ice. Elena and Nikita are sweeping, but you can drive a truck between them. Tessa and Scott's diagonal step seq is a masterpiece, it makes the rink look too small for them.:)

Since it's going to be my only chance to watch Carmen live, I'll try to enjoy every moment of it and forget the nerves (who am I kidding?)...

martyross and (deleted member) like this.
  30. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Thank you Ioana again :)....I hope they nail that lift today.......