Virtue and Moir #22 - To Russia with love

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by martyross, Nov 9, 2012.

1. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

It's an never ending cycle ;) I still have faith and haven't forgotten that it's BECAUSE of all the things that make them special that got them the title in Nice last season. With this program they can certainly do it again. We need to see ALL teams on the SAME ice to see the reality. We also know, Tessa and Scott even said from the start, theirs is not an easy FD and will take the FULL season to perfect. They are far from peaking and already they have decent PCS. They are doing what critics have demanded of them for a while now. Last season even judges were initially disappointed with the direction they took with FF but they won them over by worlds. They can do it again. And even if it doesn't happen we are all going to remember their Carmen, everyone (even haters) will remember that they took the most overused music in figure skating and gave us something new. There aren't many FDs this year (if any) that someone might say that about years down the road.

2. walei

walei Well-Known Member

Well last year Funny Face wasn't beaten all season until WTT where Tessa and Scott kind of winged it. They got the feedback after GPF thinking they lost and needed more transitions but in reality they won the FD, so it wasn't like the judges thought FF was weaker than D/W's DF.

I am a bit worried though that Carmen is definitely a harder FD than Funny Face, and to get top PCS they need the whole dance to gel smoothly. I thought they definitely did that with FF during the Grand Prix series last year but it may take them a bit longer this year so I am a bit concerned what the judges would think if they showed any labouring while Meryl and Charlie skated well like they did at NHK.

I'm sure they will get it by Worlds but I REALLY want them to win GPF. And if FF was pretty much undefeated last season against the crowd pleasing DF, Carmen should definitely get the same achievement if they skate it decent.

I know there are people here don't care if they get second but I do :lol: I just can't help but want V/M win everything with Carmen.

3. Judy

Judy New Member

I have not seen d/w fd this weekend but did everyone really think that v/m would just easily win this year.. And don't be surprised to see d/w win the Grand Prix either it will all come down to worlds.

4. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

ITA - the key word is have faith.
    Oh ye of little faith....
    I love Carmen and know that it will be magnificent by worlds. They continue to work with Jennifer Swan. They continue to perfect and that has always been their way.

I cannot wait to see the way this program progresses over the year.

People we have less than 2 years to enjoy their skating let just enjoy it.

5. puglover

puglover Active Member

I so agree Emdee - I know it is so hard when we sometimes feel they are not sufficiently rewarded for some of their amazing strengths - but they are certainly not fading out as they near the twilight of their amateur years so - lets just enjoy it.

6. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

7. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Yes. I realize that when I attend Worlds this year, it will likely be the last time for me to see them compete live, so I plan on going to the practices as much as possible, and enjoying their wonderful programs at the comp. I really do hope they will stay in the "business" for a while longer earning $$$ doing shows. I'd hate to see them disappear entirely :(.

8. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

:kickass::kickass::kickass:
    :cheer: :kickass: :encore: :respec:

9. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Its OK, but look like V-M think about point and win more, then about enjoy there skating. And i couldnt imaging, what will happened with Scxott if they will lose gold at home (reall home) ice, when all theer friends will be there.
    But who care? V-M didnt have there own fans. Sad.

10. coach sue

coach sue New Member

Where in the D/W thread did their fans give up hope after the debut of Carmen? Is this what V/M fans like to think to make themselves feel better?

The delusions and snobbery in this thread are unreal. Your own namesake would be ashamed of such talk.

~tapdancer~ and (deleted member) like this.
  11. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

This thread is for Tessa and Scott's fans. Maybe you should just ignore it if we bother you so much. Trying hard to be polite here...

12. maggylyn

maggylyn Well-Known Member

Thank you for lecturing all the fans based on what one or two people might have said. :rolleyes:

13. sequins

sequins Active Member

One person, from what I can see says this and I don't even think they mean it in the manner you are implying so suddenly we're all delusional and snobs? Meanwhile in the D/W thread everyone is full of respect and decency? Sorry, no. It's fine if you are upset with a comment but don't paint us all with the same brush, thanks. D/W would be ashamed.

14. martyross

martyross Active Member

hey, hey. are you sure that making accusations to the people here isn't a way to project your own fears about T&S winning?

15. bbkenn

bbkenn Well-Known Member

I don't even understand why D&W are being talked about here in this V&M thread?

16. iggie

iggie Well-Known Member

when v/m debuted carmen, it caused some concern for d/w fans. my point was that the succeess of each team intimidates the other fan base, at least for a moment. and it goes back and forth. both fan bases go through insecurities and in another month, it'll be flipped. and then it'll be flipped again. you completely misunderstood me.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  17. sequins

sequins Active Member

It kinda comes with the territory IMO. It's their competiton, their teammates, why can't we discuss them and other teams without it being a big issue? What's the big deal?

18. rvi5

rvi5 Active Member

After SCI I do recall a post where a D/W fan declared V/M would win, then promptly accused Marina of bias by giving V/M the better choreography. Others chimed in, and some suggested D/W should move to Igor. However as I recall that was a thread at GS, not here.

19. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

Just watched D&W and loving their freedance. Really great program. I prefer V&M but that is like me loving Klimova & Ponomarenko and Usova & Zhulin. 2 teams that were a class in themselves. Would love to see V&M win in London.

20. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

This

21. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

ITA

22. Judy

Judy New Member

I really enjoy that these two teams fight for their win and the best program possible. It makes it very exciting ... Just a reminder that v/m have shown a not perfect Carmen yet either.

23. pani

pani Well-Known Member

You know, this made me sad. Really.
    I cant understand, when one poster at russian message board said, that FS and people are not ready for this "Carmen". they care more about art, then sport.
    Now i understand her. People couldnt see the difference in body movement and dirfficultie of some of V-M elements. For example this spin, where Scott touch Tessas face. Uniqie V-M lifts still underrated.
    I even read Tessa-Scott look so bad in Carmen, they need to show something more romatic :D
    When Delobel-Shonfelder did something like this, people loved there programs, even if N-K skated with WOW factor nobody said there programs were at the same level.
    Not the same situation now. Look like even in London in will be D-W arena. I never could understand this unrespect to V-M in Canada. Canadainas never made bunner for them, never recognise them on street. So i am not surprise Patrick and V-M were in shock at CoR with so much fans of all skaters were there.
    Hope situation is different for W-P. And V-M will not compete very soon and Canad will have top team, wich they want to have. I read theye worked with Shae-Lynn. Cant wait to see what they will show at Nationals. I think she feel this team much better, then Krylova Pasqualle.

24. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

Pani,
    I agree about the banner - its sad they didnt have any before.
    But I dont agree about the recognition. Its just our mentality to be very respectful of others privacy. When Katie Holmes took Suri to a children's amusement park in Toronto no one went near them but allowed them their space. I sat opposite Patrick Swayze at lunch but would never have thought to go and ask for his autograph or photo or disturb his peace.

At the CNE, VM were adored. I know people who went three days just to see them skate and these are not figure skating fans.

Of course as Patrick said its all about hockey here and FS doesnt have so many fans.

WP worked with Shae before they went to Krylova and continued to work with her in off season so that is nothing new. With the baby she will likely do more coaching /choreo and less shows.

25. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Yes, I think that to be the case Emdee. We are just considerably more reticent to approach celebrities here in Canada. I know I am. If they are making themselves available to the public, that's a different story, but out on the street or in a restaurant, it's hands off for most of us here. Don't ya know, we're too polite ;)

26. Judy

Judy New Member

People are entitled to their opinions. Pani it's unfortunate that you can't be more positive about v/m and stop reacting to what others say. This is a never ending cycle each season with you.

27. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I think all remeber that intetview with V-M about nobody recognised them i Toronto and they said, its alwayse the same. And yes, i mean Patrick interview.And all remeber reaction on this interview from Canadians.
    I dont want to say nothing bad about Canada. Most part of my favorite skaters are from Canada and Orser i think was the first one ;)
    But its hard for me to see how canadians support V-M main rivals. Its not like with B-K, when people even ignoer L-A at WCh 2001 :lol:
    And i want to made my point more clear - i dislike people didnt see that speciall. wich V-M have. So they didnt admire this difference and didnt want to see it.
    And there are so big D-W group of fans, when V-M have maybe 2-3 fans, when all ltehr s like "o, this teams are the same, dont care who will win".

28. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Sorry, i am positive about V-M, but not postitve about i must be happy with there lose. And V-M are not happy to lose D-W.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2012
  29. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

You have a point there... V&M don't seem to have the rabid fanbase B&K had. D&W are generally treated with respect. The B&K fans tended to trash their rivals except D&V who were also considered part of the "wuzrobbed" brotherhood. I remember something about the fans at Vancouver telling people to turn around while FP&M skated and not look at them. :rofl: Oh, those were the days. :rofl: And the battles with G&P at the press conferences and Pasha's aunt bashing Shae-Lynn... just epic.

I don't know why it's different with V&M but I'm sure it's not because B&K were better skaters. ;) A major reason is probably that V&M are friends with D&W and have never dissed them, while Shae-Lynn was pretty vocal about her feelings of being robbed. Maybe the Canadian fans are just taking their cues from what they see in V&M's interviews ("we need to work on our levels, Meryl & Charlie are so talented, we enjoy going head to head with them" etc). Even V&M and D&W themselves, sometimes, are so polite that it makes it seem like they agree that they are both equal and whoever skates best on the day should win.

We know that they don't really believe this (I'm sure D&W don't either) and Scott let it slip a little when he said V&M were the most artistic team of the past 10 years. But it's not enough to say it, they're actually displaying it with Carmen, which is winning over many experts and hardcore dance fans. They're separating themselves from the pack now.

I will be very upset if Carmen loses at any event, to any team, but it hasn't happened yet and I concern myself with head-to-head battles, not scores.

30. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I agree. Its really sad that VM dont have more fans. They are such a special team. I remember the ovations they got at the Olys so I know there are fans but they are more restrained and spread out and not very vocal.

I think interest in skating is down somewhat and I think that the rabid fanbase was created by the wuzrobbed by BK and everyone around them.
    At one point they had won the GPF and everyone felt their next step would be Wch but then nothing happened there.

Me too! Counting the days to the GPF.