Virtue and Moir #22 - To Russia with love

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by martyross, Nov 9, 2012.

1. pani

pani Well-Known Member

2. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

The last 36 seconds when he practices alone and then she casually waves for him to stick his head in her arm is hilarious :lol: Were you in the fan meeting vid pani?

3. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

Marina says she invited Jennifer Swan: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...w-with-Zueva&p=3741662&viewfull=1#post3741662

4. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

That is a consolation indeed! I've been trying to stay out of them, and might still. My relationship with FSU went to a super dark place last season because I was going into those threads and finding my feelings surprisingly deeply hurt, to the point where it was threatening my enjoyment of the sport. No good!

5. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

6. bbkenn

bbkenn Well-Known Member

I felt this way as well. I didn't comment much or even come to FSU all that much either.

7. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

I post anywhere. I think I developed thick skin when I first came on the board to defend Bourne and Kraatz from a bunch of haters.

8. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

9. martyross

martyross New Member

hey guys, have you seen Ashely Wagner's short from Bompard? i immediately thought of Carmen while watching it because of its darkness and intensity. i can't say exactly what they have in common though, maybe it's the fact that it reaches you in some deep place inside. i don't know the story of "The red violin", it must be something about an extreme or even ill passion for something or someone, like in Carmen. these two programs are the best this year.

10. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

The Red Violin is a brilliant movie. Loved it.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Red_Violin

11. Alixana

Alixana who is on vacation!!

12. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

The music is :swoon: My favourite Kwan program has always been Red Violin. I recently rewatched that program and realized she doesn't actually do much in it but my god the music just gets inside you.

13. iggie

iggie Well-Known Member

14. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov Well-Known Member

pani, thanks for your Rostelecom reports. It must have been amazing to be able to see V&M live. I'm glad you had a great time.

Tessa looked stunning at the banquet; even the shoes work and I am usually so not a fan of the platform look.

That SD must be something if it's even better live because I'm mesmerized by it and I've only seen the two GP performances on youtube. The SD sets such a mood but unlike some of the I/Z programs from the past, it isn't only dependant on setting a mood and pulling in the audience because of Tessa and Scott's deep natural connection with one another. This SD does have so many different highlights and moves in it. You almost have to watch it repeatedly just to take everything in. Technically and artistically it's wonderful. I love it.

jl22aries, thanks for transcribing the interview with Kurt and Tracy.

The above exchange in particular caught my attention because I've been thinking the same thing. While it's good that CoP has allowed teams to move forward more quickly, it's also meant that some of the teams on or near the top haven't yet developed that maturity that we used to see in the older dancers that is needed to pull of the types of programs that in the past have become classics. V&M are one of those teams who were naturally blessed with performance and interpretive skills as well as having that ablility to connect with one another even at a young age. It usually takes dance teams awhile to develop that and some never develop that dynamic at all.

I've notice that a number of the newer dance fans became fans around the 08/09 or 09/10 era. At that point IIRC we were starting to see icedance become more like the singles programs. Excercises in technical skill but the choreography itself wasn't anything memorable. There were a couple of teams who managed to try and keep the artistic side along with the technical but it's been awhile since we've seen a program on the level of Carmen. I should add IMHO to that.

clarie and (deleted member) like this.
  15. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

I agree. I believe it was aka_gerbil who said that it would work in any system.

I think it's the most complex ice dance program since maybe Denkova & Staviski's Handel FD from 2004.

16. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I agree wholeheartedly with you Carmen. There are so many captivating little details in that SD. I especially love Tessa's expressions.....she is a master of that...and also the small nuances on both their parts. Great post :)

17. jl22aries

jl22aries Active Member

18. pani

pani Well-Known Member

19. HSGP21

HSGP21 New Member

The TEB Free Dance is on universal sports right now and they just showed Anna and Luca in a Tessa and Scott hug before they compete... how long until all teams are emulating this connecting-moment before they skate :)

20. beabstress

beabstress New Member

I know that most of the ice dance couples have expressed admiration for Tessa and Scott's skills, but Anna and Luca seem to really, really admire them. I think it's quite sweet. Anna and Luca seem like such lovely people--I first noticed them a few years ago when Melissa Gregory took a nasty fall in a warm-up (sorry, forgot which competition it was) and they rushed to her side. Anna was the first one there.

21. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

They can imitate but T&S own the bubble!

22. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

That's not a bad thing to imitate, in my opinion. I was very critical of Davis and White for pulling that googly eyes stuff, had they done this instead, I would've applauded them even. This is something teams should do to make sure each partner is connected to the other. It works too. Not just in ice dance.

23. iNap

iNap Active Member

Yes, you are absolutely correct. This google eyes is all wrong moves. T-S show this year how to show proper connection with partners. All teams should imitate this standard http://visualrian.ru/ru/images/zooms/RIAN_1285325.jpg It will be good for ice dance and pairs maybe for some ladies and men with coach too on ice or off ice ;)

24. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Whenever people praise pre-COP dance as being much better than COP dance, I really wonder what I'm missing. Because I thought pre COP dance had Fusar-Poli/Margaglio, Lobacheva/Averbukh, and Bourne/Kraatz as a string of world champions, and that a really bad thing to remember.

25. pani

pani Well-Known Member

Isnt this were T-D who did this huge first? ;)
    i think this could help to any team to breath together in the same rythm.
    But in this case - did Shpilband understand, that copy is worst then original? This beautifull team could find there own way and not try to look like Tessa and Scott ;)
    You know, i am glad, that at least Shpilband teams get levels 2 for there SS. I tired from all that - without Shpilbans V-M lost all there trchnick :D

26. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

27. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting those Doris, especially the 1st one......what typical kids. Scott mentioning he only does ballet to help the skating :lol:, and Tessa the dresses. This was around the time I became a fan of theirs :)

28. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

That's so cute! Wish there were videos of them from the 2002-03 JGP or nationals.

29. pani

pani Well-Known Member

30. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

Thanks for the articles.
    Love this from the first article

They don’t have a definite timetable for the future, with Moir noting, “We take each year as it comes.”
    Sounds familiar! :lol: