Virtue and Moir #22 - To Russia with love

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by martyross, Nov 9, 2012.

1. martyross

martyross New Member

Here we go!

Thank you so much for the practice report, Ioana! i've read it 3 times, so excited! ((:)

2. Macassar88

Macassar88 Well-Known Member

Can't wait for this afternoon!

3. bmcg

bmcg Well-Known Member

THought I'd bring over practice report from IoanaC and link to pictures from marikat for the new thread.

They always take such great photos in Russia.

4. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Wow, those photos are terrific. What lovely lines they show in those practice togs. I love the new thread title..good choice.

5. martyross

martyross New Member

Ioana talked about ample movements, that's what I love about the new SD. it marks a difference from other SD's that are very quick and perhaps frantic. also, i wish too that officials didn't show all this warmness, it doesnt sound good :-/ have a great time Ioana and Pani!

6. Macassar88

IoanaC, what do you mean by marking their territory? Did they not move out of the way for other skaters when they were skating or something? Or were they doing A spins? :lol:

7. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I heard that in the golden days the ice dancers used to purposefully whizz past each other at the highest speed and then stop just short of hitting the others or wait until the last minute to move. The purpose was to intimidate and show you were the most confident, I guess. I think it used to happen with A&P and FP&M, maybe G&P and K&O also.

8. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

I think that was a lot better than SC.
    Have to see the individual marks. Dont think they had all their levels.
    Hope they get someone to bring all up to level 4.

9. Macassar88

70.65 for Tessa and Scott
    I'm still not sold on their SD, but I'm super excited about their FD!
    I think I just don't like the concept of their SD. I think that they skate it amazingly, but it's not for me.
    Although their YP was great! On the second pattern, they almost reached the barriers on the other side of the rink because their lobe was so big!

10. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

Definitely the class of the field.............so much better than SC. I love all the little details, hand movement, facial expression, not to mention the actual skating. Good for them...........now the levels, and they will be working on them to be sure.:)

11. Macassar88

12. Emdee

Emdee Well-Known Member

They will have their levels as time goes on . Better to move forward like that for them. Mark therefore were good without their levels.
    One step at a time. Cannot wait for tomorrow.

13. martyross

martyross New Member

I hope the video link will be posted asap, 'cause i wasn't able to watch! it must have been exquisite :)

14. Rafter

Rafter Well-Known Member

Their SD today looked much better than at SC. Glad they changed the lift. I'm loving this program and music and think it will be gorgeous by Canadians/Worlds. Hope they can get those YP levels up.

15. Macassar88

16. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

SC:
    YP1 was a level 3 with GOE of 1
    YP2 was a level 2 with GOE of .79
    COR:
    YP1 was a level 2 with GOE of .93
    YP2 was a level 3 with GOE of .79
    So it seems this is something that still needs working. However, since SC their RoLi went from a level 1 to a level 4; their STw went from a 3 to a 4 and their NtMiSt went from 2 to 3 so that's three areas that they have levelled up. Still room for improvement in their GOE on each of the elements.
    PCS -- a slight increase from 37.37 to 37.5 and there seemed to be a wider spread between the upper and lower GOE given by the judges at COR compared to SC although Tessa & Scott did get a couple 10s today.

Personally, I'm not too worried now that I they have finished the SD (kinda hold my breath when they skate) and see there is still room for improvement in levels and GOE. Personally, I lurves this SD.

l'etoile and (deleted member) like this.
  17. girlscouse62

girlscouse62 Active Member

So happy for them that they did so much better. Would love to have seen it, but tomorrow CBC carries FD :cheer2:

18. DustPuppyOI

DustPuppyOI Well-Known Member

19. girlscouse62

any others Universal not available in my area? Thanks

20. marikat

marikat Active Member

21. girlscouse62

thank you so very much, marikat :cheer2:

22. Judy

Judy New Member

Teams will not have their highest levels until the peak of the season as they close in on worlds so it is pointless focussing on this.

23. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

I just watched their SD! I like it a lot more than I did at SC and I'm so glad they scored better too. I think the lift they changed to works and goes with the program. This is just me, but I wish they had chosen different music for the polka part, the one they have now seems to jarring to me. But anyway good performance! I'm so hyped for the FD tomorrow.

Also Tessa's face in the beginning of the slo-mo in the SD today...whoa!!

24. Bue

Bue New Member

Have I missed something? What on earth was Maurizio Margaglio doing in the KnC with them? :confused:

25. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

Ok, I have lots of things to tell you guys.

First of all, to answer Macassar's question about Elena and Nikita: yes, they kept getting in their way. They moved very aggressively across the ice - which would not be a problem if you respected other people's space. They were quite impressive, fast, they skate well. They clearly wanted to make an impression, which is understandable. But at some point I felt that every time Tessa and Scott found a corner to practice a move, Elena and Nikita were instantly all over them. As I said, T&S were calm, found another spot, repeated the move, but to me it felt irritating.

Now, about the SD performance (besides my ever-present nerves:)) They were just a bit tentative, careful, although the movements and glide across the ice were amazing. The audience loved them, clapped on the polka beats, and when they were introduced there was a roar in the arena. Russia clearly loves them.:) I can only imagine how they'll react to Carmen tomorrow!

The tentativeness could be explained by what Tessa said afterwards, during the press-conference: they were very nervous, especially her. They love the program, they always skate it well in practice and they were upset by the problems they had at Skate Canada. They used this week to do some damage-control on the tech side and recuperate those lost levels. She also said something funny about the step sequence - that they has tried to do something different at the beginning of it, but in order to get level 4 they had to change it and, funnily enough, make it easier! She said that they will try to find a balance, during the next 3 weeks until GPF, between their creative ideas and the technical restrictions. She mentioned changing the lift and using the one from last year - I had a feeling they were only using it temporarily. They might come up with something else.

I meant to record the whole press conference with my camera, and I tried to, but the microphones didn't really work. You could barely hear what they were saying. There was another girl who recorded it, and she was sitting front-row, so maybe she will post something on youtube.

Other things that were said: Tessa admitted to being nervous (after someone asked her how come she and Scott looked so calm during the warm-up!) and said she relied on Scott to calm her down and tried to take the program step by step. There was one guy who joked that he had seen Scott earlier today and he seemed "ready to kill someone". Tessa was highly amused, and Scott said that he enters "his zone" before competitions and he's so concentrated that sometimes he can't control his own facial expressions.

All the three teams were asked to talk about how they chose their music. Scott said they loved the waltz and tried to incorporate a polka into it (although reluctantly, heh), but it all worked out because they found a beautiful polka as well.

That's about it. Can't wait for the FD practice tomorrow, and hope to be able to write a few words for you.

26. Golightly

Golightly Well-Known Member

I KNOW! I wish they made a gif of that. So in character.

And, Ioana, thank you very much for your detailed reports, they are great! :)

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  27. IoanaC

IoanaC Active Member

You're very welcome. I've just discovered there is another press conf report in the Cup of Russia forum, so you have 2 versions now!:)

(I was looking just now at those sensational photos from the FD practice, wow!! The Russian photographers are the greatest.)

28. Shayii

Shayii Well-Known Member

Oh please do! I love your reports so much.
    Honestly when I saw it I was just like damn, girl is perfect!

29. Fort

Fort New Member

Thanks Ioana so much for your reports! I'll have to go back and rewatch the SC and RC versions of the step sequence to see the differences... that's amusing to me that they are doing something easier to get the better points. I guess Tracy Wilson was right when she said that VM didn't have to put in as much difficulty as they did... only I'm not sure she meant it in quite that way!

30. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member