Virginia man suing Petsmart after slipping on dog feces

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by ilovepaydays, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

It's standard policy to allow pets into pet stores. Pets are after all the consumer of the product. As a pet owner I enjoy bringing my dog into pet stores, where she gets pets and treats and such.

It is rare for a pet to defecate in a pet store - as a pet owner I would not bring a dog that wasn't housebroken into a store. And if my dog did have an accident, I would feel responsible to clean up the mess and get staff to provide me with what I needed immediately.

This is not to stay that the store isn't liable - I have no idea whether or not it is.

2. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

What about though if the rink let's people misbehave (like playing chasey in a public session). Or the rink I went to where they allowed people to kick a ball around in a public session and it ended up hitting me right in the head. It didn't hurt me but it sure as hell was an accident waiting to happen.

As for the dog poo, I think the pet store would probably have a hard time defending themselves. They would have a responsibility to keep their premises clean so that people didn't slip on dog poo. It is a foreseeable risk.

3. screech

screech Well-Known Member

If they don't have one already, why doesn't the store just put up a warning sign indicating that they try their best to keep the premises free of any animal messes and to notify staff is such messes are discovered. Then their ass is covered because in a roundabout way they have stated that there is a chance dog doo may be on the floor, and those entering the store have been warned and therefore in a way enter at their own risk. It could save them a (pun intended) $hitload of money.

4. skatefan

skatefan Well-Known Member

Oh, I wish this thread had come up earlier! A couple of weeks ago I was in Coventry city centre, walking down a gentle slope into a covered shopping mall when I slipped and went down very hard onto concrete. I really hurt my left hip, leg and arm. Someone kindly helped me up and I was completely :confused: as to why I had fallen over. Looked underneath my shoes and there was the evidence - pigeon poo on the left sole and, further back, the marks where I had skidded on it :shuffle: Bearing in mind this was also indoors, I looked up, and sure enough there were pigeons roosting in the rafters. I wish now I'd reported it! But I just was so :eek: and in pain and tearful, that I just wanted to get back to my car.

5. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

:lol: This made my day!

6. mkats

mkats New Member

My rink turns off all the lights and turns on the spinning disco lights for their regular afternoon public session. There is a skate-at-your-own-risk sign, but this is just a ridiculous accident waiting to happen :duh:

7. NancyNC

NancyNC Well-Known Member

In fact, one of my best friends watched an elderly woman take a big ole poop in the produce aisle at a Safeway grocery store. She calmly pulled up her underwear and strolled off. :eek: My friend went to get an employee so it could be cleaned up, then left the store without finishing her shopping. :scream: She thinks that the woman had dementia, but still...

8. Civic

Civic New Member

:)Dogs are funny creatures. Does she wag her tail as soon as you tell her you're going to Petco? Does she recognize the store as soon as you pull into the parking lot? Does she have a favorite salesperson there?

9. StonewshMullet

StonewshMullet Well-Known Member

I've seen this happen twice. Once when I was walking down the street in New Orleans, the other time was when I was walking down the street in Paris. I had nightmares after both experiences. Now I never assume poop on the ground is from a dog. :dog:

10. NancyNC

NancyNC Well-Known Member

I have to say I would rather see it happen on the street instead of in the produce section of a grocery store where I was getting ready to purchase food... :scream: