Vile Racist British Woman on Tram

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by MikiAndoFan#1, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

I'm not one to diagnose based on a youtube video(or in general), but the woman's repetitive comments, tongue and mouth movements and behavior in general seem to indicate she is on something and/or has some issues going on.

Her nationality IMO is incidental. You can find this kind of person in any country repeating the same trash and acting in a similar manner for country x, y or z. Still a shame though.

I hope she gets help. If not for her, then for her son(?) who shouldn't have to grow up in an environment like that. JMO
    WindSpirit and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

I'm not danceronice, but what I thought she was saying was the woman was complaining about white people, which is unusual in this sort of thing; IOW, it wasn't so much a racist rant as expected but a truly xenophobic one.

That kind of surprised me, too, as when people go off like this, it's usually completely focused on people of color invading their shores. OTOH, immigrant Poles haven't exactly been warmly embraced everywhere.

Yeah, she's certainly not alone.

I can't think of a single thing she would have been arrested for in the US. If anything, I could see her being given protection, for I am sure she would have been threatened after the video went viral. Hate speech isn't illegal; she didn't incite a riot; I wouldn't think her conduct would not be considered disorderly under most laws.

IME, if the police started arresting people for mouthing off on public transport, they would be very busy indeed.
  3. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

And the number of people allowed on my two most frequent bus routes would be very small, indeed.
  4. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Right there with you! When a friend and I traveled in England for ten days, every single time we were standing on a corner with a map trying to figure out where we were, women would stop to offer help and directions. They were all fabulous!
  5. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

More seats for us! Yay!!!
  6. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

I'm jumping on the "she's batshit insane" wagon. She didn't seem drunk to me. I'm also wondering if she noticed that she was being filmed the entire time and if that was a factor in the length of her rant.
  7. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

I don't think she's insane, just hateful. Not everyone who goes off like this is drunk, high, or has a mental disorder - it's just that we like to think there's a reason. Sometimes the reason is just as genevieve said, she's a hateful bat.
  8. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

Speaking as someone who has a psychology minor and not a major, I hand out the "insane" label pretty liberally. If you are on a public tram loudly spewing racist gibberish for all to hear, you are batshit crazy. It doesn't matter to me if she's never diagnosed with an actual mental disorder, she's still nuts enough to go out and yell crap like that.
  9. Orable

Orable New Member

There's CCTV everywhere in the UK, so the authorities probably were able to identify and find her quite easily, actually.

I have to say, while extremism, populism and xenophobia has been on the rise in Western Europe in recent years, there are many (perhaps the majority?) Western Europeans who disapprove of this trend and are perfectly happy living in diverse communities, even if they don't necessarily embrace "multiculturalism" a hundred percent. London is an extremely diverse and cosmopolitan city and most Londoners I've met are quite proud of that.

I'm not educated enough on the subject to know whether this woman is abusing any substances, but I don't think she's 'crazy;' I think she's a hateful, xenophobic, racist person whose views are dangerous to upholding the peace in her society.
  10. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

Disorderly conduct seems to be the way to go, but it could have been plenty more charges we probably haven't even heard of.

Here's one where a guy (who is a lawyer) who was walking across the street from police, yelled at a police officer "That’s why I hate the police" and he was arrested.

Here is one where at a speech he asked a graphic question and was arrested.

11. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Well, anything is possible, I suppose.

I've never heard of anyone being arrested for disorderly conduct after the fact. Arrests for disorderly conduct are usually made to stop the conduct. That wouldn't be the case here.

And your first example isn't exactly evidence that it would be considering that a) he was arrested while mouthing off and b) he sued for false arrest; his record has been expunged, and he settled for an undisclosed amount in punitive and compensatory damages. The officer who arrested him had to apologize for the arrest and may have been fired; I couldn't find anything about what happened to him.

In your second example, the guy was also arrested while mouthing off at Ann Coulter after warnings had been issued to students to stop making verbal outbursts. His particular offense appears from the police report to have been using obscenities after the warnings had been issued. He was charged with a misdemeanor and released. At most, he had to pay a fine.
  12. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

If, by "people," you mean people in the U.S. over recent decades, then yes, for the most part. Go back a hundred years or more in the U.S., and it would be Southern and Eastern Europeans and, if you go back far enough, the Irish and the Germans.

Interestingly enough, when most of these groups first arrived in the U.S. -- or, even earlier, the British colonies -- they were not considered "white," and some still aren't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_people
  13. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I'm surprised he was even arrested; how can that happen in the USA? :confused:

I thought Americans had freedom of speech and you can say anything you want WITHOUT being arrested? What a strange turn of events. TWO YEARS LATER......after he was arrested and spent the night in jail, he finally got the last laugh...or did he; it seems if he just would have minded his own business, he wouldn't have been consumed by this problem for 2 years. At least he admits it.

I did say ad nauseam the charges probably wouldn't stick but they were both arrested anyway and just because the cops were there in those two examples is trivial. If enough other people called the cops they still would have been arrested, people do get arrested after the fact, cops do not have to be on site. Cops are rarely standing around when there is an altercation and the offender doesn't get off scott free because of it; disorderly conduct/disturbing the peace is in the eye of whoever witnesses it and calls 911.
  14. ryanbfan

ryanbfan New Member

This, thank you very much.
  15. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Racist Tube rant woman Jacqueline Woodhouse jailed

Explanation of what an "ASBO" is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Social_Behaviour_Order

I wonder what the exact specifications of the ASBO are.

(And I'm :rofl: about the last entry under "Less Common ASBOs" in that second link.)