Vile Racist British Woman on Tram

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by MikiAndoFan#1, Nov 29, 2011.

1. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Saying a people are insular is not an insult per se. Texans are insular, probably far more than people of any other state in the US. But I thought I was stating a fact about how many English people feel about Americans. I have heard all my life that the English consider us rude, brash, & ignorant. If that's not true, I sincerely apologize.

2. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

According to this link

In the States, she might have been arrested for a public order offense, but I am pretty sure there wouldn't have been an enhancement for a the content of her speech. There are enhancements for violent crimes with a racist component, but not for nonviolent ones, AFAIK.

Had she said everything in a quiet, non-disruptive way, things would be different.

As for the video, I was struck by the couple sitting directly behind her: a young black man, who is visibly distraught, and his white girlfriend, who is trying to comfort him and calm him down.

3. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

Agree-we live in this state with Fred Phelps and his God Hates Fags brethren. Their free speech, while disgusting, is protected. I am a strong believer in our first amendment and while I despise Phelps I understand why he has the right to make his vile statements.

If that woman were in this country I could see her being arrested for disturbing the peace but not for her speech. I do think she would have had a bloody lip though..child or no child. That poor kid.

**Note about Westboro---Within the last two weeks the local paper ran a long feature about Phelps 20 something year old granddaughter who appears to be taking the reigns instead of her insane, bitter (but smart enough to argue before the Supreme Court) mother. If you didn't know anything about her upon meeting her you would not know she supports Westboro. There is some speculation that other family members who have renounced Fred may be able to reach her and their dwindling following. Let us hope....

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  4. floskate

floskate Vacant

Well you're certainly ticking the ignorant and rude boxes. :rolleyes: Your now edited statement wasn't controversial, it WAS insulting. Please don't choose to speak for me as an Englishman; you know nothing of my opinion of Americans or any other race or nation. If you choose to buy into media driven stereo-types based on anything but actual fact, that's your problem. But please don't attempt to apply the same rhetoric to an entire nation you clearly don't know very much about.

WRT the video - this has been circulating over here for a few days now and in this instance I am very glad that we do have laws against hate speech and that she can be prosecuted for her actions. ITA with Ziggy on this. As a member of one of society's more vulnerable minorities, I need to know that I'm protected in such instances that sadly are becoming all too frequent these days.

5. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

As I said, the charges I'm sure wouldn't stick but she for sure would have been arrested for the myriad of reason I stated before. Her hate speech and disturbing the peace/disorderly conduct could have very easily incited a riot and if not for her child on her lap, I have no doubt it would have.

I still would love to know what set her off, before the mobile went on.

6. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

It's a stereotype, not a set of instructions.

Andora and (deleted member) like this.
  7. soxxy

soxxy Guest

.....anything

Always question those kinds of statements.

8. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Sweeping generalizations are never good - I know that so I definitely shouldn't have done it. I'm really sorry.

9. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I (an American) lived in England for 11 years - that's not true.

Nice to see your apology. :)

10. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

I have only had fab experiences with Brits...so they(except this woman) are fab in my books. :D Can I stereotype that? :p

And I am not just saying that because Sharps started up FSU...though she is one of the fab people I have met that came to Kitchener for the GPF. :shuffle:

11. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

I'm not one to diagnose based on a youtube video(or in general), but the woman's repetitive comments, tongue and mouth movements and behavior in general seem to indicate she is on something and/or has some issues going on.

Her nationality IMO is incidental. You can find this kind of person in any country repeating the same trash and acting in a similar manner for country x, y or z. Still a shame though.

I hope she gets help. If not for her, then for her son(?) who shouldn't have to grow up in an environment like that. JMO

WindSpirit and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

I'm not danceronice, but what I thought she was saying was the woman was complaining about white people, which is unusual in this sort of thing; IOW, it wasn't so much a racist rant as expected but a truly xenophobic one.

That kind of surprised me, too, as when people go off like this, it's usually completely focused on people of color invading their shores. OTOH, immigrant Poles haven't exactly been warmly embraced everywhere.

Yeah, she's certainly not alone.

I can't think of a single thing she would have been arrested for in the US. If anything, I could see her being given protection, for I am sure she would have been threatened after the video went viral. Hate speech isn't illegal; she didn't incite a riot; I wouldn't think her conduct would not be considered disorderly under most laws.

IME, if the police started arresting people for mouthing off on public transport, they would be very busy indeed.

13. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

And the number of people allowed on my two most frequent bus routes would be very small, indeed.

14. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Right there with you! When a friend and I traveled in England for ten days, every single time we were standing on a corner with a map trying to figure out where we were, women would stop to offer help and directions. They were all fabulous!

15. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

More seats for us! Yay!!!

16. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

I'm jumping on the "she's batshit insane" wagon. She didn't seem drunk to me. I'm also wondering if she noticed that she was being filmed the entire time and if that was a factor in the length of her rant.

17. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

I don't think she's insane, just hateful. Not everyone who goes off like this is drunk, high, or has a mental disorder - it's just that we like to think there's a reason. Sometimes the reason is just as genevieve said, she's a hateful bat.

18. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

Speaking as someone who has a psychology minor and not a major, I hand out the "insane" label pretty liberally. If you are on a public tram loudly spewing racist gibberish for all to hear, you are batshit crazy. It doesn't matter to me if she's never diagnosed with an actual mental disorder, she's still nuts enough to go out and yell crap like that.

19. Orable

Orable Well-Known Member

There's CCTV everywhere in the UK, so the authorities probably were able to identify and find her quite easily, actually.

I have to say, while extremism, populism and xenophobia has been on the rise in Western Europe in recent years, there are many (perhaps the majority?) Western Europeans who disapprove of this trend and are perfectly happy living in diverse communities, even if they don't necessarily embrace "multiculturalism" a hundred percent. London is an extremely diverse and cosmopolitan city and most Londoners I've met are quite proud of that.

I'm not educated enough on the subject to know whether this woman is abusing any substances, but I don't think she's 'crazy;' I think she's a hateful, xenophobic, racist person whose views are dangerous to upholding the peace in her society.

20. julieann

Disorderly conduct seems to be the way to go, but it could have been plenty more charges we probably haven't even heard of.

Here's one where a guy (who is a lawyer) who was walking across the street from police, yelled at a police officer "That&#8217;s why I hate the police" and he was arrested.

Here is one where at a speech he asked a graphic question and was arrested.

21. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

Well, anything is possible, I suppose.

I've never heard of anyone being arrested for disorderly conduct after the fact. Arrests for disorderly conduct are usually made to stop the conduct. That wouldn't be the case here.

And your first example isn't exactly evidence that it would be considering that a) he was arrested while mouthing off and b) he sued for false arrest; his record has been expunged, and he settled for an undisclosed amount in punitive and compensatory damages. The officer who arrested him had to apologize for the arrest and may have been fired; I couldn't find anything about what happened to him.

In your second example, the guy was also arrested while mouthing off at Ann Coulter after warnings had been issued to students to stop making verbal outbursts. His particular offense appears from the police report to have been using obscenities after the warnings had been issued. He was charged with a misdemeanor and released. At most, he had to pay a fine.

22. Vagabond

If, by "people," you mean people in the U.S. over recent decades, then yes, for the most part. Go back a hundred years or more in the U.S., and it would be Southern and Eastern Europeans and, if you go back far enough, the Irish and the Germans.

Interestingly enough, when most of these groups first arrived in the U.S. -- or, even earlier, the British colonies -- they were not considered "white," and some still aren't.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_people

23. julieann

I'm surprised he was even arrested; how can that happen in the USA? :confused:

I thought Americans had freedom of speech and you can say anything you want WITHOUT being arrested? What a strange turn of events. TWO YEARS LATER......after he was arrested and spent the night in jail, he finally got the last laugh...or did he; it seems if he just would have minded his own business, he wouldn't have been consumed by this problem for 2 years. At least he admits it.

I did say ad nauseam the charges probably wouldn't stick but they were both arrested anyway and just because the cops were there in those two examples is trivial. If enough other people called the cops they still would have been arrested, people do get arrested after the fact, cops do not have to be on site. Cops are rarely standing around when there is an altercation and the offender doesn't get off scott free because of it; disorderly conduct/disturbing the peace is in the eye of whoever witnesses it and calls 911.

24. ryanbfan

ryanbfan Active Member

This, thank you very much.

25. Vagabond

Racist Tube rant woman Jacqueline Woodhouse jailed

Explanation of what an "ASBO" is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Social_Behaviour_Order

I wonder what the exact specifications of the ASBO are.

(And I'm :rofl: about the last entry under "Less Common ASBOs" in that second link.)