Video Hunt: Change Edge Sit Spin

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by Jozet, Jun 6, 2012.

1. Jozet

Jozet Active Member

The change edge sit spin that counts as level (from backward inside to forward outside.)

Any videos of a skater doing one in competition?

Thanks!
  2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

There is one at about the :55 second mark in this video. (It is part of a combo though, not just a sit spin.)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FJIhLyOBlg8

There might be others but I stopped watching there. Most seem to be changing edges on their camels.
  3. Jozet

Jozet Active Member

Thanks!

Yeah, it's a really tough change I think. My daughter is working on it, but with the center of gravity so low, there seems to be little room to shift weight around to compensate for the change of balance on the forward outside edge. The camel changes were hard for her to get, too, but she wasn't completely wiping out - just trying to get the change. She can get the change on the sit pretty easily, but then keeps hitting the toepick and crashing.

Also, she said it puts more strain on the outside knee of her skating leg than the change edge camel. Maybe she's doing it all wrong, but I can see how much faster people generally spin in a sit than in a camel, so I wonder whether that's part of it.

Thanks again!
  4. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate New Member

Is that also called a sit change sit?
  5. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

No - a sit-change-sit starts on one foot then changes to the other foot.

A change-edge spin stays on the same foot, but the skater switches edge and direction through their blade usage and body alignment.
  6. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate New Member

7. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

8. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Hey thanks for that clip. I did Technical Controller at a competition a few weeks ago and was trying to get my head around looking at levels. Although the divisions we had were only up to level 2 (which in Australia these particular divisions can only go up to level 2). That is a very useful clip.
  9. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I think the user has done similar level breakdowns for other competitions too, if you look at their video history.
  10. Jozet

Jozet Active Member

I subscribed to this site for a month just to check it out. The Bobbie Shire videos were really helpful to my skater. (I think, sometimes, just having something explained slightly differently helps her...she gets teen brain block at times. ;-) ).

http://www.icoachskating.com/site.php/spgs/read/bobbe_shire/

Her video on change edge camels was, actually, kind of "magical" in the explanation. Also, a lot of Bobbie's videos feature a young Allison Timlen, which is kind of neat. But you do have to subscribe and it's kind of pricey for my wallet right now. For each coach, I think there are one or two videos you can view for free.

Here's the layback video you can view without subscription: http://www.icoachskating.com/site.php/spgs/read/VT_BoSh_018

I think there are a few others. Not free change edge videos though. :)
  11. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

12. Jozet

Jozet Active Member

Ah, thanks! I'll take a look.
  13. steve skater

steve skater Member

14. Jozet

Jozet Active Member

15. Aussie Willy

Czisny's spins are so beautiful.
  16. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

Yes Czisny's spins are good. But when it comes to change of edge sit spin, Kiira Korpi has the best
  17. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

Wow, I think Alissa's forward change-edge sit spin is the best I've ever seen!
  18. Aussie Willy

I agree - you just don't notice the change. Transition is so smooth.
  19. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

Alissa does her change of edge sit spin while doing a bullet. Kiira does her change edge sit spin while doing a side ways core change and she does it for 8 revolutions in the same position. Yes alissa's is very nice, and one of the best, but i believe that Kiira has the better change edge sit spin
  20. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

I'm sure Alissa could hold hers for 8 revs but she chose to hold the I spin for 8+ instead. Alissa's and Kiira's are both excellent examples, and give the OP two interesting options for COE forward sits in difficult variations (cannonball vs torso twist).