Veronica Campbell-Brown tests positive for a banned substance

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Domshabfan, Jun 16, 2013.

1. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

Multiple World and Olympic champion, Veronica Campbell-Brown (JAM) has tested positive for banned diuretic Furesomide, which can used as a masking agent. This is really sad news, especially since she has been competing for so long and has had an amazing track record. More can be read here

2. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

That's really disappointing. :(

3. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

Le sigh. I've really liked her over the years, very upsetting news. :(

4. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Heartbroken for her fans and Jamaican sprinting. I really liked her a lot.

5. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I guess this is the end of her career.

6. SpeedySucks

SpeedySucks Member

I think it's a bit premature to say that this is the end of her career. Since this is her first offense and it's "only" a diuretic, she'll probably receive a two-year suspension at most, which means she'll be eligible to compete again by the 2015 Worlds. As long as she has the desire to continue, I expect that we'll see her in Rio.

7. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Doesn't surprise me at all.

8. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

Why? She has been competiting for do long and had tested countless time.

9. Tesla

Tesla Whippet Good

Sadly, I am no longer surprised. :( It's track and field. It feels expected for someone to test positive for a banned substance.

10. sequins

sequins New Member

So did Lance:rolleyes:, so did lots of athletes. Sadly no one should be suprised anymore when anyone tests positive. Disappointed, yes, but surprised? It's more surprising when they don't. I just feel sad for those that are clean and are robbed of their moment in the sun because of these lying,cheating fools.

11. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Associated Press article: http://espn.go.com/olympics/trackan...aaf-says-jamaican-case-appears-lesser-offense

12. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

That can be used as a masking agent, as the snipets stated and that, in my opinion, should make it more than just "only".

Agreed. The cynic in me is just waiting for the news that Usain Bolt tested positive as well, for whatever it is :(

13. liv

liv Well-Known Member

Sadly not surprising, but the fact that it is Jamaica now means that the words "drugs" and "cheating" have arrived ever closer to the upper echelons of Jamaican sprinting....

I think that if Bolt ever tests positive, well, for me it would be a case of "yeah, him and all the rest in the top 10." It would be disappointing, but since they would all, IMO, have been using, then he's still the fastest because I would see it as an even paying field.

14. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Assuming that all the athletes did take the same substance, the same amount that is proportional to their size, and have had the same biological reactions to the drug.

15. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I have always felt all World class sprinters dope. So I think they are on a level playing field. Except for ones like Flo Jo willing to upgrade to so many drugs to put her over the top she ends up killing herself by 40 due to all that was pumped into her body, even if for just one year.