Verizon users - Suggestions for a new cell phone

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by harekrishna43, May 4, 2010.

1. harekrishna43

harekrishna43 Active Member

I have finally reached the point in my 2 year sentence with Verizon where I can get a new phone. I currently have a Motorola Razor that has been a problem since I got it and all Verizon did was give me a new one with the same problem.

I want to stay with Verizon because my entire family is on it but I dont' like most of their phones. My cousins have the LG NV2 and had convinced me it was the best one to buy - but Verizon is no longer selling them - just the NV3 which has a million complaints about the phone shutting itself off because of a design flaw.

I don't really need to do a lot of Email but I do text a bit and would like a Qwerty keyboard though it's not a requirement.

Any Verizon users that can help point me in the right direction?

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  2. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

I have the DROID - Love it!

3. Ares

Ares Guest

I also have the Droid..I don't like it. :shuffle:

4. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

So you want a good texting phone? That's not Verizon's strength, but I believe the Blackberry 8330 is considered their best by reviews. The Samsung sch-u740 is supposed to be good, too.

You can also try this, although I didn't agree with the recommendations it made for me: http://www.mobiledia.com/guides/quiz/ or this one: http://cellphones.about.com/od/buyersguides/qt/best_cell_phone.htm?q=PP2-BWTL

5. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

I am a former VZW employee, and I have been told by a current employee that the iPhone will be available through VZW by the end of the year.

6. harekrishna43

This is very interesting - that's the only phone I would want all the bells and whistles for. If I were to get another Motorola replacement phone now, what happens when my current contract is up in September - do I have to sign another 2 year contract or can I be month to month until the I phone comes out?

7. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

we just got Droids. we love them, but we have had them since Friday. Since we got them together, I have learned to use more of the features that I ever did with my Smart phone.

AxelAnnie and (deleted member) like this.
  8. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

If you don't qualify for an upgrade now, the only way you could get the Motorola is to use insurance or pay the retail price. If you want the iPhone, I would wait until my contract were up after September and use your discounts then. Otherwise you'll have to pay a fortune for it.

9. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

I've had the enV Touch since last year (I think @ August) and I LOVE it! I would like an iPhone but only if it's with Verizon.

10. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Both of my Verizon phones have been LG models. The current one does more stuff and has a video camera and I can put a dozen songs in it too.

11. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

I hope hope hope that's true, but I've also head that before. I'd heard that it would be available in June and that turned out to be false. :)

I have the LG Env3 from Verizon and never had one problem with it. I'd never heard of a design flaw, either? Mr. Stormy has one too and it's been great for him too.

12. zaphyre14

zaphyre14 Well-Known Member

I've seen Verizon corporate notices saying the iPhone is coming by then end of 2010, too. It has to do with converting the iphone to work on Verizon's network which is different from AT&T's. Verizon and I think Sprint have been negotitating with Mr. Gates to open the iPhone technology up to other markets since AT&T has pretty much maxed out their network's capacity.

All of my friends that have Droids love them. I have a Blackberry Storm that is okay for what I use it for. The main reason I got it is because it works internationally.

13. genegri

genegri Active Member

Everyone I know who has a Droid loves it. Most people prefer the version with a Qwerty keyboard but it cuts down the screen surface by almost half.

I currently have a LG Dare and it's been very reliable. However, Verizon's VZ Navigator is not the best and the VCast thing was such a joke that I canceled it after 3 weeks.

About iPhone working with Verizon, I hope this time it's not just a tease like many times before. :shuffle: I am very tired of this game already. If iPhone does not come with Verizon this time next year, I will go with the keyboardless Droid.

14. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

If you don't want a full fledged smartphone, the Microsoft Kin is coming out soon on Verizon which is designed for texting, updating social media and basic browsing without having to pay for a $30/month data plan (at least I presume - the fees haven't been announced). Nice thing is you get the Zune player for music which is comparable to the iPod.

If you do want to go smartphone then I'd recommend the new HTC Incredible unless you really want a physical keyboard...in which case it's Motorola Droid or a BlackBerry (look up the 9650 which will be the latest version).

It's hard to say about the iPhone at this point - it could happen for real or just end up rumors again. Maybe you can at least wait till the WWDC conference where they'll announce the next gen phone early June, but it's not likely to be available until the fall in any case.

15. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

My Verizon guy says No.....ain't gonna happen any time soon

16. BlueAranjuez

BlueAranjuez New Member

I've got the LG dare and love it!

17. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Um, so scratch the Kin - just read Verizon are being idiots and requiring a full smartphone data plan. Not worth the price in that case.

18. harekrishna43

Thanks everyone for your words of wisdom - I wound up having to make my decision sooner than later because the battery in my current phone was fried and it wasn't worth paying $40 for a new one at this point -

I decided on the LG enV3 - it seemed the easiest of the choices to learn with the least expensive data plan. For those of you who have this phone, do you know how to disable to the email notifications? I spent 30 minutes on the phone with tech support this morning who couldn't figure out how without removing the entire email application.

I have to go for "training" at Verizon but they only do it between 11 and 6 - Monday - Thursday and on Saturdays - when I told the girl yesterday I could come on Friday because I only work a half day, she said sure - but when I called today to make the appointment, they told me Friday was not an option and the salesgirl should have not told me OK - see why I love Verizon?

19. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

I think you'll like the Env3, it's been very good for me so far. I didn't get the data plan though, so I only use it for basic talking and texting.

20. harekrishna43

Did you get the phone from Verizon? They didn't give me a choice about the data plan - it was required to activate the phone. It's a minimum one that gives me unlimited email and 250 mg of internet access.

21. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

I did, back in mid-December. They didn't require the data plan on it then, I guess?