Vera B & Yuri L

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Octoberopals, Oct 24, 2010.

1. Octoberopals

Octoberopals New Member

Is it just me? It appears that Vera Bazarova really resembles a young Katia Gordeeva (sp?) in her over all appearance, especially from a distance. Yuri, of course, doesn't look/appear a thing like Sergei.

Has anyone else noticed the similaries?
  2. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

I don't know. Both have very pretty faces and are very photogenic.
    As skaters I don't quite see the similarities, though. Vera is uber-bendy and flexible but she doesn't have the charisma and joy of Katia nor her skating skills
  3. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

I don't see it at all.
  4. Artifice

Artifice Guest

Vera is beautifull as is Gordeeva, both have great lines but other than that I can't say they look alike. Vera doesn't have Gordeeva's charisma, she is more flat and her interpretation is no way near Gordeeva's expressivity. As for the skating skills, it's hard to say. Vera looks like a good skater though !
  5. robinhood

robinhood Active Member

She's indeed a very good skater. Not in the class of Gordeeva, though who in terms of skating skills must be up there as having the best basics ever
    Vera's jumping ability isn't as good as Katia's either
  6. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

i thought that last year but with her growth and such not so much now
    I had no idea about them being banned for 18 months either! or that they are a couple off the ice-
    I do like them though- I just dont see the 'russian' in them- they dont have the speed or flow of what i expect from russian pairs-
  7. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I don't find her 'look' very Katia, but her body shape resembles her.
  8. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

She reminds me of Katia because she is pretty with a similar shaped face/pert nose, and tiny, especially in relation to her partner. And she also has similar posture.

However, as others have said, their is no similarity in skating ability.
  9. liv

liv Well-Known Member

I don't see it at all. Vera has a nice quality about her. She's lovely to look at and is a great skater, no doubt, but I think Sandra Bezic said it best: She said Katia was one of the most "glorious" skaters to ever step on the ice. Very few measure up to her.
  10. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

I'm not seeing the similarities except maybe a similarly shaped face. Vera is kind of lanky and still has to work a lot on things like interpreting the music. There's not much spark in her skating, but she's of course quite a talented young athlete.
  11. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

When I first watched this pair (before Yuri's DQ), I had the same impression as you. Vera has a lovely posture, arm positions, etc. and she did remind me of a young Katia. However, after watching them last year I did not feel that way. I still find her lovely and I would really like to see this pair develop and get to the top in the world. P.S.- I agree that Yuri does not appear anything like Sergei (that honor goes to young Anton Sikharulidze- he really did appear like Sergei in the beginning, before he developed his passionate personality on the ice).
  12. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

She does remind me a lot of Gordeeva when it comes to looks and her classic russian style. The comparisons should end there IMO.
  13. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

14. Octoberopals

Octoberopals New Member

Thanks for the link! It works perfectly.
  15. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

I think she is good skater but she has a long way to go, she is very gangly looking, she reminds me of a baby deer who just stood up for the first time.

She needs to stop wearing her tights over her skates.
  16. Artifice

Artifice Guest

She looks fragile but she lands a huge triple throw flip ! She is only 17, it's normal to be thin at that age and this is not what impacts her skating or what should make us judge her as a skater.
    It's hard to tell about her skating skills without seeing her live, but the pair looks faster than last year, even through TV.
  17. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I don't see it. But for sure, a whole generation of pairs figure skaters tried to look like Gordeeva and Grinkov at some point of their career (Petrova&Sikharulidze, Lefran├žois&Blanchard...)
  18. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

19. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

She does, and it would be great if Osipova would give her some coaching in the role.