Vegans Complain about Yeast in Hot Dog Buns

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by overedge, Dec 11, 2012.

1. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

I worked for a guy who belonged to some sort of cult-like organization that believed all illness was psychosomatic. Since we had no official PTO but it was all at his discretion, that was tons of fun.

2. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

Even better are the people who give up gluten to be healthy. Unless you have celiac or an actual intolerance, there is nothing inherently more healthy about a gluten free diet. And I know too many newly gluten-free people who can only give very vague answers if asked exactly how they knew they had a gluten intolerance.

3. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Well-Known Member

Word.

I suspect some people really mean that they felt better after not eating commercially produced white bread - adding more fiber to you diet it probably a good thing, and most non gluten alternatives have higher fiber content.

4. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

I'm fortunate in my co-workers. We are a very diverse group of people with quite a lot of variability in our dietary patterns, but we all are very aware of most of the important issues in agriculture. Whether we are vegetarian, omnivore, paleo, organic, we all agree that sustainable production practices, good animal husbandry, and supporting local production are all the most important factors in our food buying practices. It's probably the most commonly discussed topic around our lunch table, but it's always civil and engaging. No preaching.

5. DAngel

DAngel Active Member

I hate it when Vegetarians/Vegans exaggerate and call non-vegetarians/non-vegans a carnivore.

I'm an omnivore. I eat vegetables and fruits too. In fact, I eat a lot more of those than meat.

OliviaPug and (deleted member) like this.
  6. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

This is true even evolutionarily. Humans (and the other great apes, but most notably humans, and then chimps) are highly successful because they'll eat just about anything that doesn't actively poison them. Our systems are quite clearly evolved to chew and digest almost anything short of cellulose. You can eat healthy on a huge variety of things.

And I find vegans and 'raw food' types the preachiest about DIET. Or maybe most self-righteous, not preachy. At least those who stick with it; I also know a larger sample size of people who tried extreme diets like veganism, raw-food, liquid diets (not weight loss temporary diets, actually trying to live primarily off liquid/liquified foods) who went back to a more balanced lifestyle. "Vegetarian", otoh, I know people who chose to do that for a huge variety of reasons, including a few friends in college who were vegetarian mostly because it made being kosher a LOT easier.

What bugs me are vegetarians who still eat fish. Fish are not very scaly mobile plants. They're animals. If you eat fish, you are eating an animal, and you are not a vegetarian. You are a pescetarian.

7. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

:lol: I think that's the case with most people. Aside from one of my coworkers, who definitely prefers meat over anything else. A salad came with his take-out for lunch today and I'm eating right now because he didn't want it.

I'm not sure how his digestive system is still functioning. :lol: He did grow up on a cow farm in Kenya, maybe they didn't have any greens and that's just what he's used to?

8. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

They'll have a blast :) Every time I've seen them live I've been doubled over, tears running down my face laughing.

9. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

One of the most annoying people in one of my classes at uni was a vegan, who used to openly preach DURING CLASS about how we were all evil, cruel people because we were carnivores. One day I had enough of him and said to his face, "Yep, love a big juicy steak! I love it just as much as all my caveman and ape ancestors did!"

Alas, it did not work. He then proceeded to preach about how we had "outgrown our heathen past" and "no longer needed to eat meat". Yeah right pal. Finally the lecturer told him to STFU.

On the note of evolution, I remember thinking the vegans/vego lot really dropped the ball on those Sam Neill "Red Meat. We Were Meant To Eat It" ads. It was the most complained-about ad of that year, but it wasn't the vego lot that got to it; it was the churches who were screaming blue murder that Sam Neill had openly said in an advertisement that we evolved from apes. :lol:

10. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Any good caterer will be able to provide a vegan meal - just be sure to explain what exactly that means.

I have a good friend who's vegan - when we first met, she would bring her own snacks to parties so as not to trouble the hosts. But since then, we've all (a group of friends) taken up the challenge to find delicious vegan choices for dinner parties and barbecues, and those dishes have proven just as popular with the meat and dairy eaters. We often go to restaurants together, and usually call ahead to ensure that a vegan can be accommodated. Half the time the chef prepares something especially for her, and the rest of us look longingly at her plate and wish we were having what she's having :lol:

11. beepbeep

beepbeep Resident Rude Brazilian

This.

I've found myself to be moderately intolerant to gluten and I can't imagine how would someone give it up just because is allegedly healthier :rolleyes:
    Gluten is delicious!! I miss proper bread and pasta soooo much. And not eating it makes your life much harder since almost everything has gluten in it.
    I eat some little thing with gluten once every 2 or 3 weeks and feel miserable, digestive and respiratory wise, the next day.
    But the taste and texture are sooo worth it.

By not having gluten you're cutting a whole bunch of whole grain cereals that are very healthy.

12. purple skates

purple skates Shadow dancing

:lol: Not lauging at you, but at the differences in our workplace. My co-workers and my food discussions consist of whether or not to place a group Chinese food order, to who cooked fish in the microwave, to whether or not one in particular is trying to kill us with the wonderful smells of the stufff she makes but doesn't share with us!

13. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Just...LOTS OF WARNING. Most annoying customer ever did nothing other than show up with a twelve-top (reservation of 12 people at one table) and only after being seated tell the server she was a vegan. If we'd known when the reservation was made, we could have done something decent. Instead she got whatever we could throw together in the time it took to make everything else for the table from what few ingredients we had on hand. Couldn't use any of the prepared starches (pretty much ever restaurant makes those in advance), couldn't use any prepared sauces, even the vegetarian entree had dairy on it (limited menu). I was on pastry; she got berries tossed in sugar with a mint sprig.

Although my favorite LATELY is someone who came in (we're an Italian restaurant) wanting something without garlic or olive oil. Their options were pretty much any of the regular proteins-two kinds of fish, or two kinds of steak, without the sauces and with the rice (the only side made with just water), or a special-order pasta.

14. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

As I said, when we make restaurant reservations we always say that one of our party is vegan and will she be able to find something on the menu. We are also specific about where the issue lies - she has a severe dairy allergy. Similarly, I have a friend with a nut allergy so when booking a restaurant I asked about it - they told me honestly that they used peanut oil in a lot of dishes and couldn't guarantee a nut-free meal, so we booked elsewhere.

15. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

At my workplace, our "wellness committee" recently showed this film: Food, Inc.

16. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

Except IME the people who "give up" gluten because it's "healthier" actually eat a fair amount of it. :lol:

17. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I think that sometimes when people say "because it's healthier" they really mean "it makes me feel healthier." There continue to be a lot of diverse and often contrary opinions as to what is healthy and what is not, and more and more I'm seeing that people are realizing that what works for one person doesn't always work for another, and thus "healthier" is becoming more about the person than the food.

18. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Um, it was a joke :rolleyes: ... I would have thought that was pretty obviously from the context of the rest of what I said. But sorry if it offended you.

I'm a vegetarian but I eat more than just vegetables.

19. Artemis@BC

I agree wholeheartedly. And I think a lot of the "eating healthier = feeling healthier" results from just the process of thinking about what you're putting in your body. (And then acting on it too, of course!) So many people of my demographic were brought up on a meat-and-potato diet that we never questioned when we were growing up. For many people that can work just fine, but for me every Sunday roast was a torture. It never crossed my mind, or my mother's, to even question it.

20. maatTheViking

I have friends who have seen this film, and I don't want to see it. Basically they told me it makes you want to stop eating :p. Ignorance is bliss!

I try to mainly buy high quality grassfed beef (since we decided to eat less red meat, but spend the same amount on it), but one thing that really bugs me about regular American beef in supermarkets is how much water there is in it. If I get fajitas strips or something I can't really brown them since they leak water before they are browned. Yuk. At least higher quality beef doesn't seem to have the problem, but I read somewhere that there is no regulation to prevent producers to add water to their beef to increase the profit.

21. Anita18

We paid for a buffet and we won't have a seating chart, so the caterers won't know which one of our guests is vegan. :lol: We're still having our barbeque, but a few of the sides are vegan and I think she'll be able to make a meal out of it.

My fiance was already a little frustrated that I "had to" accomodate one person out of possibly 70 when it came to catering. :p But this friend is understanding and doesn't get all huffy when people don't eat vegan around her. I just wanted to make sure there was something she could eat! And I think the grilled portabello mushrooms and roasted baby carrots will be a hit with everybody. :)

Just...why even bother? :eek:

22. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

When my friend is going to an event like that she just eats at home before she goes, just in case there's nothing that she can eat. Even grilled/roasted veggies can have butter on them, and grilled foods will often come in contact with meat juices/fats, so in her case better safe than sick.

Either way, I think you *can* ask the caterer to go through the menu with you so you can ask how things are prepared, and you could also ask that a special plate of roasted veggies are prepared for her, and then she can have whatever salads and breads everyone else is having, once you've confirmed they are meat and dairy free. Like I said, a good catering company shouldn't have a problem with it.

23. Anita18

Well I did ask the caterer and she confirmed that the garlic mashed potatoes were a no-go (apparently made with butter) but the baby carrots and grilled portabello should be fine. So I think she knows what "vegan" is. :)

Well it turns out that the best man is lactose intolerant and allergic to peanuts (why Alf didn't know this, I have no idea :wall: ) so I guess we'll have to do another check to see if he can handle what we have. :lol:

24. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

There's one, too, in Seattle, just behind Seattle Center. I'm not a big meat eater, and like it well done/no pink, so I probably don't really like meat at all. My general theory is that food is a carrier for sauce, gravy, dressing, and condiments, so faux meat Chinese food is right up my alley.

There are fruitarians, those who only eat fruit and nuts that have fallen off the tree or vine.

But how can you get any prooooottttttteeeeeeiiiiiiinnnnn??????

I had one friend who was a vegetarian and ate the junkiest food imaginable, and another who ate meat as part of a macrobiotic diet. Healthy food is over-rated.

Seattle Center hosts all kinds of themed events in the Exhibition Hall, and I was there last Spring for Veggie-Fest. Some smiley person -- it was a rare sunny Spring day, but I should have known something was up -- handed me a flier with a "Guide to Seattle Area Vegetarian Restaurants," which is very handy, but when I turned it over, it was a screed about "The Truth about Cage-Free, Free-Range, & Organic Eggs" in which the answer to everything was "As a vegan" or "Becoming a vegan." Example:

At least that answer's heading was "Show Your True Compassion."

25. Artemis@BC

The Buddhists have been doing "mock meats" for centuries, so although I don't go in for the mock meats when I'm cooking for myself, I enjoy the various offerings at the ton of Buddhist Chinese and Vietnamese restaurants around Vancouver. There's a Chinese one just up the road that has an amazing cashew, veggie, and "ham" stir fry, and a Vietnamese one near my home that makes an incredible spicy "shrimp" dish as well as a an indescribably delicious "chicken" soup.

A lot of those mock meats aren't vegan, though -- they often use whey.

26. maatTheViking

I always find this interesting - if we all ate vegan, most domesticated animals would come close to extinction...

27. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

But fish are not warm blooded, so are a different category of animal. Many people distinguish between red and white meat (fish and chicken) and prefer white meat, as it is generally seen to be healthier. The health benefits of fish - especially salmon - are widely publicized and a lot of very very health conscious people eat fish.

It's interesting to note that fish goes with dairy according to kosher food laws.

Even some people who are mostly vegetarians eat fish on occasion. One vegetarian I know eats fish he catches himself at the family cottage on summer vacation, and once in great while has pickled herring. Another vegetarian I know will eat salmon when she goes out, but not at any other time.

I have no trouble with someone being 'mostly vegetarian'. I would think that fish would be a dietary mainstay of a pescatarian, while it would be a very occasional item for someone who is 'mostly vegetarian'. Just as a 'mostly kosher' person may forgo the kosher when they eat in restaurants. The kosher people I know usually stay away from pork and don't mix meat and dairy in restaurants, but unless you to a kosher restaurant, there won't be different sets of dishes for meat and dairy.

Not everyone follows their standard diet 100%.

28. rjblue

rjblue Re-registered User

My diet can best be described as "eat whatever I'm craving or is fast", although I do try to purchase locally as much as possible.

And I have no argument with people who choose their food for health, environmental impact, or personal preferences and squeamishes.

I have a tiny beef with most people who can afford to pay, but still buy cheaper food rather than local.

And I have no respect at all for the people who choose not to eat furry mammals because it is more humane (as I said, preference or squeamishness is fine, I for one could never eat dog or monkey). Other lifeforms die to feed us. On some level fish, farm animals, squid, carrots, and even yeast are just as much alive as we are.

Some of the more interesting science fiction I've read has been on this theme. One of my favourite stories has a Greenpeace activist receiving a very panicked message from giant squid, who've learned some language from sunken ships, asking humans to please go back to whaling, because their society was allowed to flourish once the evil whales stopped killing them.

And a photo that always makes me smile- it's all in your perspective.

29. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

One of the women at work has done this. I questioned her a bit, just to let her know, gently, that being gluten free without having a gluten issue isn't... But then I let it go, of course. Her deal, not mine.

30. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

And I get annoyed by the insistence that eating "local" is better than buying food from around the country or the world. While in some cases that may be the true, there are many reasons why it often isn't true. And, based on my somewhat limited experience, getting "local" advocates to define "better" can be amusing. We all have our own personal definitions of "better." Why expect everyone to comply?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
    mag and (deleted member) like this.