Vegans Complain about Yeast in Hot Dog Buns

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by overedge, Dec 11, 2012.

1. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Morningstar Farms makes a delicious vegan hot dog. They were off the market for two years and I was :fragile: but they are back now. :)

2. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Good question. We used to own some vacant land in Arkansas - sold it a few years ago to a rabid member of PETA. She promptly put in a road and built a house cutting down trees in the process. Wonder how many bugs and critters were displaced and/or killed in all that.

3. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

I let be a bald faced hornet's nest on my house and a yellow jacket nest on my lawn, but I can do that because I don't have kids or others running around. I don't really see how people could really get along with not disturbing any animals.

4. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

That one is a bit :confused: for me too, because if you don't want to eat meat, why eat fake meat? I'll eat a veggie burger that owns up to being a veggie burger; not something that is trying to simulate the taste/texture/look of meat, yuck.

But then again, that's what we're seeing in this thread - everyone draws their own lines about what is important or not important to them, and what they are willing to do or not do. It's too bad that in the effort to classify everyone into tidy little boxes, the extreme examples seem to rule the day.

5. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

OMG -- someone else has heard of Arrogant Worms besides my two kids and their friends. They will be attending an AG concert this coming Saturday in London Ontario -- one of their Christmas gifts.

6. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I don't know, but someone brought some to our dance studio's fall cookout, and we all decided the color and texture was...disconcerting. At least. (Before people start wailing and gnashing teeth about real hot dogs, they are in fact technically a forcemeat, like any other sausage, only with a higher fat-to-meat ration to create the smoother texture, like making a mousse instead of a pate. It's also why unlike 'country' sausage they can be hard to make and case at home because you need to keep the machines very cold or the fat melts.)

I often wonder if extreme animal-rights based vegans take it to the logical extreme and refuse medical treatments that can't be shown to have never involved animal testing and contain any components that could be animal derived. If you're going to start worrying about animals that die seasonally or through attrition and predation anyway (many insects) or panicking about the side effects of harvesting techniques (maple sap)...what ARE you going to eat? Many plants die whether you harvest them or not, you are going to kill insects just walking across a lawn...do you skip doing linen laundry because you're killing bed bugs and dust mites?

7. BlueRidge

Yes, people have many reasons for not eating meat, so for some its not about not liking meat and faux meaty meat products are good substitutes. Most of the faux meat products are yucky to me, but I like some of the soysage and fakin' bacon ones. I don't have a strong argument for not eating meat, its just my preference. I can't stand chicken so faux chicken products make me :scream:

8. beepbeep

beepbeep Resident Rude Brazilian

If you don't want to eat meat because you don't like it or it makes you feel sick or for whatever reason, fine, not my problem. It's your life.
    But the moment you start preaching, there will be war.

BR, it's funny, although I'm proud to be a meat eater (love me some barbecue), there are times that vegetables are all I want to eat.
    I like soy protein when it's well done, but the thought of tofu :scream:

9. PrincessLeppard

This goes both ways. I don't care if other people want to eat meat, but don't lecture me on my choices, either. And it happens all. the. time.

10. beepbeep

beepbeep Resident Rude Brazilian

This

11. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

I hate it when I have a tasty white chocolate cupcake and someone tells me that I'm a moron because white chocolate isn't real chocolate.

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

This.

I'm very much a chacun à son goût kinda girl -- I'll debate anyone who wants to as an intellectual exercise, or just for fun ... but I won't presume to lecture the carnivores, and I sure as hell won't tolerate them lecturing me.

BTW, with the discussion of hot dogs there's yet another Arrogant Worms song that fits: The Hot Dog Song.

"So have a hot dog on me, my friend.
    It's made out of animal odds and ends.
    So have a hot dog on me, my friend.
    It's the particle board of meats."

:lol:

13. BlueRidge

I'm for everyone eating the diet they choose for themselves. Preaching vegetarians make me :yikes: :scream: so I well understand how people feel about that, but for me as a vegetarian what upsets me is people who assume that because I am a vegetarian I want to tell them not to eat meat. People who simply upon hearing that I don't eat meat start on with "jokes" about meat eating and "jokes" about dying vegetables. I HATE it when the response to my not eating meat is to go on about vegetarians killing broccolli and the like. Its defensive and I know its because some vegetarians do judge and preach, but it pisses me off royally because you don't know what my view is just because you have learned that I choose not to eat meat. I'm actually not opposed to meat eating so I don't need to hear all the yuck-yuck-yuck hardy-har-hars about killing the poor vegetables nor do I need to have people going on and on about how delicious meat is ooh, yum yum wink wink har har.

Would love a peace of respect between us all.

14. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

In general, I've found vegetarians and vegans to the be least preachy people when it comes to diet, and the least likely to comment on what other people are eating. As you said BR, it's usually everyone else who makes a big deal about it.

CynicElle and (deleted member) like this.
  15. PrincessLeppard

I said "in league with Satan," not "moron." :p

16. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

My Buddhist parents made me and my parents eat vegetarian on the 1st and middle day of each month, and during certain holidays (and funerals of our relatives). The faux-meat is nice for those who want/need to eat vegetarian but like meat. I actually prefer veggie burgers over meat burgers. And veggie hot dogs over regular hot dogs. And I love tofu (granted, when deep fried which kinda defeats the whole healthy purpose, but whatever).

17. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

That's interesting because I find vegans to be, on average, some of the preachiest people around. But just vegans. Vegetarians, pescaderians and whatever you call vegetarians who don't eat eggs but do eat dairy tend to run the gamete but vegans who are vegans for more than a few months to a year always seem to want to lecture me about the evils of meat and how I don't *need* to eat meat to survive or dairy or eggs either.

What particularly gets to me is when I tell them I need a minimum of 125 g of protein a day or my serum protein levels drop out of range, they say something completely moronic like "broccoli has protein". Well, then you eat 75 cups of broccoli a day, bint.

OliviaPug and (deleted member) like this.
  18. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

^ "Running the gamete" -- does this mean having a lot of sex? ;) If so, then the non-vegan vegetarians and the quasi (non-animal eating) vegetarians really might be on to something. :cheer:

19. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Obviously my sample size is relatively small - perhaps a few dozen over the years but the number is certainly increasing, and I can't think of one who is preachy or has given me a hard time about what I eat. They can get defensive when others inevitably offer their opinions about their choices, but otherwise not. Guess you know some who are different than that :)

20. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

The preachiest people are meat, protein, meat, protein people who lift weights 24/7 and hate cardio.

21. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

IME those are only the second preachiest. ;)

22. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I remember working in a lab and I think they used the DNA from yeast for medical research. It was explained to me that at the DNA level the proteins are the same as for humans, so maybe some vegan picked up on that. I know they used some sort of very primitive worm.

23. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Skate America! Go!

I just get annoyed when celebs give interviews and say they are now vegans/vegetarian to 'eat more healthy'. There is nothing inherently healthy about not eating meat.

Though I personally believe that meat or animals product is part of a healthy, varied diet, there is nothing particularly unhealthy about not eating meat either, of course. Each to their own, and I respect most of the eating choices that people make, but I just can't get over the 'healthy' argument.

I find the anti leather/fur people to be the most preachiest :p.

OliviaPug and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I haven't heard that before! :lol:

My friend in college introduced me to Arrogant Worms. Hilariously, she was from Kansas City and not Canada. Not sure where she heard of them.

My closest vegan friend is open-minded and not preachy. But she will enthusiastically try to turn you vegan if you express even a modicum of interest in changing your diet. :lol:

But then I feel bad because when I invite her to something, I feel like I have to make sure she has something she can eat! She told me not to worry about it for my wedding, but I still felt the need to bug the caterer (who's known for meaty meat barbeque) about if any of their sides were vegan. :p

I don't feel bad about exposing her to all the delicious meaty meat at the reception buffet though. :D

HAH there's this one guy I know (yes, a crossfitter) who swears that the paleo diet will solve everybody's problems. Want to lose weight? Go paleo! Want to gain weight? Go paleo! Want to feel BETTER THAN EVER? PALEO!!!!! PUT BUTTER ON EVERYTHING!!!!!111!!!!

I'm like, "Um, how does that make any sense?" :lol:

25. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I find this true of both vegetarians and vegans. They preach about health in general, not just the evils of meat. From the dangers of mammograms (radiation) to the dangers of cell phones(brain cancer). Usually the preaching is well-intended and they just want to be helpful, but it can become annoying.

26. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I have a former student who preaches Paleo all over Facebook. I had to block her from my newsfeed.

The preachiest people I know are the yoga-obsessed. My "yoga instructor" sister-in-law informed us this weekend that she will be getting additional training in the "philosophy of illness" that will help her cure cancer, heart disease and other such ailments with yoga. having a loved one in cancer treatment right now, I was really in no mood to hear her preach about how oncologists don't understand the "philosophy and psychology of tumors" and treat them wrong. I wanted to scream, actually.

27. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I'm a vegetarian and have been for a long time. Like BR, I don't care if people eat meat in front of me. I'm happy to talk about why I'm vegetarian and my experiences with it to anyone who asks, but I certainly don't harangue people about their choices if those aren't the same as mine.

Sadly IME vegans are really preachy and rude to anyone who doesn't meet their dietary standards of holiness. The vegans in the news story I posted unfortunately seem to be more evidence of that.

28. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Ditto.

As far as I'm concerned it should be a personal choice, not a crusade.

29. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I was noting to my fiance how Randall Munroe on XKCD made a comic about his now-wife's 2-year biopsy-versary. He said that he'd move to the woods and get cured there away from all the diseases of modern society. "People's tumors go away!" "Yeah, some. A vast majority of them die. If you're okay with that at 30."

It was hard not to scream then. :wall:

To further that thought, I don't believe in labels either. If you want to eat vegan but not have to pay attention to food dyes (because some are apparently made with crushed up beetles), you should be able to do that. I don't think one should feel guilty or have their "vegan/vegetarian" card taken away because they don't follow the directions 100%.

30. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

She also told my husband something about how more consideration needs to be given in cancer treatment to how tumors "think and feel". He said, "you mean people with tumors" and she said no, the tumors. Probably good that I wasn't in the room for that one.

She is also in a feud with a fellow yoga instructor in her town because they disagree about what makes for "pure" yoga practice and instruction as well as that the other girl thinks she is not a good enough vegan/vegetarian. So there you go.