Vaytsekhovskaya's interview with Voronov `I earn my spot on the ice'

TAHbKA

Cats and garlic lover
Elena Vaytsekhovskaya's interview with Sergey Voronov `I earn my spot on the ice' for sport-express.ru

In the spring he suddenly left Eteri Tutberidze's group, which he was talking so highly about merely a year ago, thinking he finally found the `right' coach. Instead of finishing his career, which probably made most sense, he found himself in Inna Gonharenko's group, not doubting his decision and clinging to his sports life. The two times national champion. Two times European medallist. With fire in his eyes and a tatoo on his right arm saying `Afraid - don't attempt. Attempting - don't be afraid!"

EV: When you were skating in Saransk in the Russian Cup at the end of February fighting through every move it was hard to get rid of a feeling it's your last skate ever.

SV: In a way it was a right feeling. That competition was so hard: I understood if it was not the end of the career it was my last competition with the previous coach. And we'll part our ways for good right after. That thought overtook every other thoughts and, of course, didn't lift my spirits.
On the other hand I was preparing quite seriously to that competition, even if doing that almost alone. I realized not making it to the Europeans in December the season, while very unsuccessful, was not yet over, that I need to compete somewhere

EV: And it didn't matter the competitions were not the important ones?
SV: The athlete has to compete to remain competitive - am certain about that. Even if only for the practice of the competition.

EV: At what point in the season you realized all went wrong and it's not under your control anymore?
SV: My first mistake was, I think, was going to Canada to choreograph the new programmes. It was done too late - in the middle of July. Jeffrey Battle and I were unable to set the schedule: he was ready to work with me but we had a training camp in Novogorsk, then he didn't have time and I had to work with his schedule.

EV: And then you realized the programmes did not work for you?
SV: It's not that they didn't work. It was more about a pile of things. The programmes themselves were interesting and I consider the SP quite good, while the LP I was never able to skate to it's potential. I think we missed a bit with the music. The programme was good, it was done well, but... you know it's like with the cloth: the costume might be stylish, expensive, the right size but not suit you.
On the other hand had my relationship with the coach at that moment been allright I think the work on the programmes would be different. I felt quite well the way Eteri Georgievna treats me changed and was trying to figure what was going on. Obviously every conflict has two sides and it would be silly blaming the coach in all my problems. Hence I asked her several times directly `What happened? Am not interesting anymore as an athlete' and all I heard was `Such thoughts are distractive for an athlete'

EV: A right reply if people decided working together
SV: Right, but I'm 28, not 15, I can feel when the working relationship stop being a working relationship. So I tried to understand what went wrong and where did I go wrong.

EV: Have you been able to?
SV: Frankly - no. I had so many thoughts. There were no financial misunderstandings between us, then what? The Worlds in Beijing where I became 13th? Perhaps. Perhaps I was only ever functioning as a sparing partner who was no longer needed? In that case, as sad as it is I'd have to admit being an idiot, because I trusted the coach completely from the very beginning. I am not sorry at all about the period I spent working with Tutberidze. After all I showed my best results so far with her.

EV: parting with the coach in figure skating usually goes in the same scheme: first the skater decides who they will be working with, after which they notify the old coach on the switch. It was the other way around in your case.
SV: Yes, and it wasn't even the first time. In 2013 when I left Nikolai Morozov's group I spent a month not having a clue what's next. It was quite a bad feeling: I understood back then any situation is better than hanging in the air. The only thing that you an think of is : the bridges are burnt and there is nowhere to go.

EV: And you went to Goncharenko?
SV: Yes, without knowing her at all. Before starting working together we would only say hello to each other when meeting in a competition. I like it that Inna Germanovna is a very straight forward person, just like I am. Perhaps that's why we found a common language immediately, though I'd admit just a year ago I was certain Tutberidze is the last coach in my career and there will be no other.
But life keeps surprising: including the practicalities: who would had thought I would be working right next to were I live, be able to take a shower and rest between the practices? I learned to be happy with the small things: not having to use a navigator when leaving home to figure whether it'll take 2 hours or 2.5 to make it to the rink? Should I drive through the centre or around the city? The only thing I had to get used to is waking up early, but it's an advantage: when we compete sometimes the practice sessions are quite early

EV: I.e. now when you made a decision to keep skating you are trying to prove your previous coach it was premature writing you off?
SV: It's not that. I think proving things is useless in general, unless proving things to yourself. I just can't get rid of something Tatiana Tarasova said when I became 5th in the nationals `that's not the way to finish the career'. I absolutely agree with her. I don't want to live the rest of my life with a thought that situation broke me. You think the hardest thing in figure skating is sitting in the K&C after you lost this and that and the other athlete? No. The hardest is getting up the next day and getting yourself on the rink. Just like in boxing: you are down, but you get up and keep fighting. Finishing the career is much easier.

EV: You sure? Let's assume you retired. And what next?
SV: The simplest is working on the rink.

EV: Is it good money?
SV: I think it's decent. At least till you decide what's next. Just not to have to think where to get money for petrol the next day. I dont' write off a possibility I might study something.

EV: Bottom line: you are not afraid to retire.
SV: Everyone has that fear no matter what they say. The sport gets you used not thinking about things: everything is decided, there is a strict schedule and calendar. Though the routing stuff was never a problem for me: the opposite: I loved deciding myself where to spend the vacation, look for the routes, tickets, set up the accommodation etc. All and all I think am not such a limited person that I would be completely lost outside the sport. At least I'd like to believe so.
As for figure skating perhaps am not evaluating myself right thinking I still have a chance to do something in the sport. But then: why not try? What do I risk being 28y.o? I might as well be sorry for something I have done rather than something I haven't. At least I will not be sorry sitting in K&C knowing I've done all I was able to. It's something every athlete feels quite well deep down.
When Inna Germanovna agreed working with me I asked: do you see a point in that work? Does she think I can do something new on the ice? She said yes. After the first practices she even said: we all knew you were great, but we'll try to make you even better.

EV: What if the reply was negative? Were you ready to hear it?
SV: I was already told in my face my time as a skater was over. And yet I keep skating. I take such sayings easily: everyone has a right for their opinion, but I don't have to agree with it.

EV: I know Goncharenko is a hard coach to work with as far as amount of work goes.
SV: True. And very strong minded. I already felt it, but am not afraid of it. Indeed we work a lot - on and off the ice, the choreography. It's a hard work. I was even complimented on how I lost weight and look better. I understood in Tutberidze group the only way I would do well is with a hard discipline and nothing else. When you are young some things might be compensated by energy and talent. With the age it does not work anymore. Hence now I treat my body as a car: woke up, turned the ignition, let the engine warm up, filled the petrol and off we go.
Besides I enjoy working. When you skate next to the 15-16y.o. skaters you feel as young and full of energy as they are. There is no feeling of the ceiling and the limit of your abilities. And I learn something new every day, get interested in things people my age usually don't care about. I sometimes even think I would make a decent father, when I have a family. I can make a rubber bracelet, can explain a computer game.

EV: Was there a jealousy from your coach's main pupil Elena Radionova?
SV: Think not. Of course I asked Goncharenko how will Lena take my joining the group and was told there will be no problems. I don't care who skates next to me and what they think of me. I earn my spot on the ice with a hard work.

EV: What are the goals for the next season? What do you plan to do, what to learn and what kind of programmes will you skate?
SV: Nothing certain yet, it's too early. I realize `making me even better' means even stricter conditions, regime and discipline. Am ready for it. Unfortunately we didn't have enough time to make real changes before my skate in the WTT, but even then we had some time to work on my gliding with Sergey Verbilo. I never skated so many run throughts with no jumps. I was taught to skate from the scratch.

EV: Weren't you doing runthroughs in your previous group?
SV: We did a full programme, with all the jumps. It's different. The skeleton is first and most the skating, not the jumps. I.e. the set up is different. When I did it for the first time I felt as if I skated 3 LPs in a row, I was all wet. I never payed attentions on my spins before. Now I understand every element is either the points you get or your leave no the table. We put a lot of work in the spins, the edges, the right edges. I'm sorry when I started skating the basic figures did not exist. After all the most important thing for the skater is to glide. If you are given the ability to jump you will. But gliding is something one has to learn.

EV: Who will be choreographing your new programmes?
SV: At least one of them - Nikolai Morozov

EV: That's quite unexpected.
SV: When I decided to leave Morozov's group in 2013 and came to part with the coach he said: `Sergey, life is long, ruining the relationship just because you decided to leave the group would be silly'. I understood later how right he was. Still I can call him any time and as his advice on anything. I think he gave me a lot - his understanding of skating and music. Hence I cherish the opportunity working with him as a choreographer.

EV: What do you think of what is going on the male skating right now?
SV: Well, am not blind. I.e. I see how fast the programmes become more complicated and how the others progress. But am more focused on myself. I recall how Papadakis/Cizeron burst into the seniors from the juniors. Not only they had no idea who were the leaders, but they were not attempting to. It was really cool- that endless concentration on themselves and the unique result.

EV: It's not that easy being a single skater when important things happen around you: the new jumps, the new records.
SV: Agree. I was quite impressed in the Cup of China seeing Boyang Jin and his quad lutz. Not the lutz as such, but the guy being so talented and so given that he can land anything. But what now? Should I just sit in the corner and cry that I can't do all that?

EV: The question is where is your your inner ability to progress technically. Can you feel it?
SV: I'm really sorry I haven't started learning a quad loop after the Olympics - there were such thoughts. But since no one in my group supported me on that it went down. I spoke about that to Goncharenko and think I should learn another quad. It's interesting and am not sure which would be cooler - landing a quad lutz as Boyang Jin does at his age of 19 or to learn a new jump when you are 28. Most important - right now I really want to work. I want to go on the ice and show that work. As for making comparisons - that's the job of those 9 who sit near the border.

zebraswan

Eteri must have really done a number on him, good lord. He said some things before this that make more sense in retrospect (after the Russian Cup final - something about making a toast to his enemies, for example). He never speaks badly of anyone, so I can only imagine what more is left unsaid. I feel like Eteri has little tolerance when skaters start showing any sign of weakness, & after he had that mini-meltdown at the Finlandia Trophy, it seemed all downhill from there, not worth her bother any more. After all, what's it to her when she has 2 dozen more younger skaters waiting in the wings. But that's her prerogative, I suppose. I am just glad his spirit wasn't destroyed enough to quit skating and that Inna didn't turn him away...I don't think there would be anywhere else he could go at this point.

Perhaps there will be an interview with Adian soon...I know how EV feels about Eteri, so I'm sure she is chomping at the bit. ;)

C

casken

Great interview. I wish the Buttle LP worked out, I thought it was a real step forward for him stylistically.

IMO, Kolyada is the real deal and will be at the next Olympics barring injury, but I hope against all odds Voronov snags one of the remaining spots (or spot, which I'm assuming there will be only one of.)

alchemy void

Post-its for the win.
Yes, and while Voronov probably can't be competitive for a Worlds medal, Euros men (excepting Fernandez) are a hot trainwreck mess and medals at Euros are definitely not out of the question if he can regain form.

I'm glad he's continuing. He can be the new Menshov. :p

hanca

Values her privacy
Eteri must have really done a number on him, good lord. He said some things before this that make more sense in retrospect (after the Russian Cup final - something about making a toast to his enemies, for example). He never speaks badly of anyone, so I can only imagine what more is left unsaid. I feel like Eteri has little tolerance when skaters start showing any sign of weakness, & after he had that mini-meltdown at the Finlandia Trophy, it seemed all downhill from there, not worth her bother any more. After all, what's it to her when she has 2 dozen more younger skaters waiting in the wings. But that's her prerogative, I suppose. I am just glad his spirit wasn't destroyed enough to quit skating and that Inna didn't turn him away...I don't think there would be anywhere else he could go at this point.

Perhaps there will be an interview with Adian soon...I know how EV feels about Eteri, so I'm sure she is chomping at the bit. ;)
I think the problem wasn't the mini meltdown at Finlandia trophy, but the results from worlds 2015. It seems that Eteri is fine when things go well, but when the results are not solid, she loses interest. The pattern is that everyone is leaving as soon as the problems start. Shelepen, Sakhanovich, Lipnitskaya, Voronov, Pitkeev. But never mind, there is a whole line of skaters (novice and junior champions) waiting to take their turn (at least for some time. Until they start having problems and let someone else take over.)

hanca

Values her privacy
Yes, and while Voronov probably can't be competitive for a Worlds medal, Euros men (excepting Fernandez) are a hot trainwreck mess and medals at Euros are definitely not out of the question if he can regain form.

I'm glad he's continuing. He can be the new Menshov. :p
I think the problem wouldn't be that he can't be competitive for medals, but he skated not well enough at the nationals to be even sent to Euro and worlds. And last season they did not manage to get the third spot, which should be within their ability. It doesn't seem to me that Tutberidze forgives failure. Unfortunately, no one can manage to be perfect all the time. I am curious to see what happens with Medvedeva and Tsurskaya in a few years time - will their body change and if it does, will she drop them too? I think Tutberidze is a great coach, but I would like her to stick students though good times and bad times. Adelina's coach is supporting her even when she went through a rough patch last season, the same with Mishin supporting Tuktamysheva no matter what. Unfortunately, I haven't seen yet Tutberidze sticking to a skater who goes through a rough patch.

Lis

Thank you for translating this very interresting interview with one of the absolutely most well spoken and polite skaters of them all.

I'm posstive about his coach change to Goncharenko .I think it will work very well with Radionova since she comes out for me in the same way as Sergei.

zebraswan

I think the problem wasn't the mini meltdown at Finlandia trophy, but the results from worlds 2015. It seems that Eteri is fine when things go well, but when the results are not solid, she loses interest. The pattern is that everyone is leaving as soon as the problems start. Shelepen, Sakhanovich, Lipnitskaya, Voronov, Pitkeev. But never mind, there is a whole line of skaters (novice and junior champions) waiting to take their turn (at least for some time. Until they start having problems and let someone else take over.)

He was skating injured and on painkillers at that Worlds. But then, so was Adian at Russian Nats, and I don't think she was overly sympathetic to him (I didn't understand what she said to him when he came off the ice, but I think I read on FSO that it seemed a little harsh considering the visible pain he was in). I understand her approach; she wants to build the strongest skaters and the competitive atmosphere in their group certainly does that, but when you know you are a weak link, it must feel awful. (Why am I suddenly reminded of Abby Lee's "pyramid" on Dance Moms...) I wonder how Kvitelashvili is still there since he has never achieved anything...but maybe she is harsher toward the ones who have already shown good results, and just keeps him around for comic relief.

Last edited:

hanca

Values her privacy
He was skating injured and on painkillers at that Worlds. But then, so was Adian at Russian Nats, and I don't think she was overly sympathetic to him (I didn't understand what she said to him when he came off the ice, but I think I read on FSO that it seemed a little harsh considering the visible pain he was in). I understand her approach; she wants to build the strongest skaters and the competitive atmosphere in their group certainly does that, but when you know you are a weak link, it must feel awful. (Why am I suddenly reminded of Abby Lee's "pyramid" on Dance Moms...) I wonder how Kvitelashvili is still there since he has never achieved anything...but maybe she is harsher toward the ones who have already shown good results, and just keeps him around for comic relief.
It is harsh to be an elite athlete, but I don't think anyone makes allowances for the time they compete with injury. He had a choice to compete or not to compete (withdraw), but if he decided to compete, he would be judged as any healthy athlete. In five years time, everyone will be able to find the results from this competition, but no one will remember that he skated while injured. So on one level I understand why Eteri may not have been sympathetic. On the other hand, she received money for coaching him, so in my view she should have been giving him a fair share of her attention. No matter what she thought about him or his results, she should have been professional enough not to let that influence their working relationship. She was paid by him or by the federation to be his coach, so she should have provided the service she was paid for. The fact that he felt that their relationship changed, that was Eteri not bothering to be professional.

breathesgelatin

<3 <3 <3 Sergei and his attitude. I think the Buttle program was great, wish he'd been able to show it to its full potential.

Users who are viewing this thread

Do Not Sell My Personal Information