Vanessa Lam Question

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maximillian, Jan 20, 2014.

1. Maximillian

Maximillian You can't unfry things.

I really didn't want to start an entire new thread on this, but since the U.S. ladies thread is closed, I guess I will. I have become a part time fan of FS these days so don't pay much attention to what's going on in the off season so this might have been addressed already, so forgive me if this is a retread, but, why did Vanessa Lam leave Dianne Deleeuw and her husband? It seems to me that her skating has deteriorated significantly this year and she showed real promise under their tutalage (and when I say promise, I mean promise, as in, could've potentially finished 3-4 at Nationals.)

2. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Vanessa was ALWAYS hit or miss whether it be under the tutelage of Dianne de Leeuw or Tammy Gambill - Usually, she'd start the season gangbusters in the Summer comps, getting scores on par with U.S. Senior elite ladies only to crumble during the JGP. Earlier on, she'd at least get back on track in time to do reasonably well at Nationals but lately she's really regressed! She may be just adjusting to Tammy at this point. She had a solid SP at Finlandia placing 4th and making the final group.

IDK, though. Tammy has a large group of skaters to coach, so I hope Vanessa isn't just lost in the shuffle. Watching her in the K & C, she looked like her poor performances didn't bother her either way.

3. Maximillian

Maximillian You can't unfry things.

Thanks for that. I would assume that Vanessa is moving on now, judging by her skate, placement and attitude in the K & C, also heard she was Harvard bound.

4. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

5. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Vanessa Lam is also going to Harvard? Man, these skaters are all going there!

6. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Pretty impressive kids to be a world class athlete and going to Harvard to boot.