Vanessa Crone has split up with Nikolaj Sorensen

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, May 6, 2012.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Confirmed on Facebook today (credit to kppt for posting initially in the Pairs/Dance splits 2012 season thread in GSD and in the Paul/Islam thread in the Trash Can): http://www.facebook.com/cronevanessa
    Lake Placid Ice Dance Championships will be held July 25-28, 2012, in Lake Placid, New York.

They are coached by Marie-France Dubreuil and Patrice Lauzon in Montreal.

ETA link to the ISU bio of Katelyn Good/Nikolaj Sorensen (Denmark): http://www.isuresults.com/bios/isufs00012142.htm
    They placed 14th in the Preliminary Round at 2011 Worlds.

Last edited: May 7, 2012
  2. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Never heard of him, but glad she found a partner.

3. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

He competed for Denmark with Katelyn Good for two seasons (2009-2011); their last competition was at 2011 Worlds in Moscow. Good/Sorensen were coached by Dubreuil and Lauzon as well.

4. cygnus

cygnus Liberal Furry

This could be interesting, but I was hoping for Keith Gagnon.

5. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Well-Known Member

oh wow, that is quite interesting. Will they compete for Denmark or Canada?

6. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

Gagnon is a wonderful dancer. :) Stylistically different from Vanessa maybe, but I'd love to see him skating again.

Congrats to Vanessa and the best to her and her new partner!

7. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

My guess is Canada, since I doubt SC would release her.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Wow, I really wasn't expecting that.

No offense to Sorensen, but that is a massive step down for Crone.

9. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

They both have time. Look at how far Weaver has come in just a few years, and I don't know if anyone had great hopes for Denkova when she first teamed with Staviyski.

ETA: As far as I can tell from a web search, Denmark does not allow dual citizenship. According to the Wikipedia article, Danish citizenship is lost as soon as a Dane gets voluntary citizenship from another country.

I'm not sure I'd give up an EU passport for a chance to skate at the Olympics, but then again, I'm not a world class athlete.

10. maatTheViking

I would assume Canada too, given Crone's past achievements (release wise). The Canadian Federation probably also have more money - but they will have a lot of tough competition in Canada.

Too bad, it seems like Denmark can't really get couples going in dance.

11. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Is there a written policy for obtaining release from the Canadian Federation? Were Crone to compete for Denmark, they wouldn't have the Politik but they also wouldn't have the competition, which is now looking like Gilles/Poirier for the third spot.

12. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I used to share a rink with him occasionally, and he's very nice. I hope this works out for them both.

13. clarie

clarie Well-Known Member

I'm thrilled that she has found a partner. I'm glad her talents aren't wasted. I've always like her skating and she is a sweeti in person.

14. Pratfall

Pratfall Active Member

:)So pleased for Vanessa..It's been a rough go for her. I hope they can bring Nikolaj along quickly .

I'm really looking forward to seeing her on the ice again and I'm curious to see what strides she's made after a year in Detroit.

15. blue_idealist

Oh yeah, I vaguely remember Good/Sorensen now.

16. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

Good luck to them! I'm glad Vanessa has finally found a partner :cheer:

17. Bournekraatzfan

Bournekraatzfan New Member

YAY! Thanks for the news, Sylvia! I am thrilled for Vanessa! She is so talented, and I can't wait to see her compete again. Best of luck to them!

18. pat c

pat c Well-Known Member

Good, I wish them well. It'll be interesting see how everyone gels together.

19. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Good luck to Vanessa and Nikolaj.

What a battle in Canadian ice dancing. Does anyone know the logistics of Nikolaj obtaining Canadian citizenship (or is that already accomplished or in the works)? If Vanessa wanted to train in Canada and compete for Denmark (since there would be less competition to make the World team for Denmark), are there too many drawbacks (i.e., not being released by Canadian Fed)?

Here are some youtube clips of Sorensen (a dark-haired Dane) with his former partner, Katelyn Good:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdEwi2r1cSQ FD 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJjGeFH-f8E&feature=related Tango 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXYSMb8GlWU&feature=related SD Finlandia Trophy 2010

Vanessa with Paul in 2009 -- 4CC CD:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2L2xNHhC8A

Vanessa & Paul 2011 FD Canadian Nationals:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWnfkJZk020&feature=fvwrel

20. maatTheViking

Citizenship logistics can become tough, Denmark doesn't allow dual citizernship (unless you are born with it).

It is also quite hard to become a Danish citizen (stupid Xenophobic politics has too much power, yada yada), and next to impossible when you don't live there. Denmark has no precedence granting citizenship based on athletic abilities (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wilson_Kipketer who was competing for Denmark and was pretty certain to medal in 1996 Olympics had they sped up his application)

21. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

^^ Thanks for the info, maatTheViking. :)

Wow, re Kipketer's '96 Olympic travails. Politics can sure be a bummer, especially for athletes told they can't compete for political reasons, be it citizenship rulings, etc.

22. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

He might already have Permanent Residency status from training in Canada with Good. (I don't know if he was physically resident in Canada during this last season, when he was not competing. If he has PR status, and he was in Canada last year, he might have enough physical residency days as a PR for citizenship by sometime in 2013.) He might also have a visa that can be converted more easily and quickly to a PR visa. If he doesn't, he would qualify now under one of the "self-employed" provisions (for world class athletes and people in the arts).

If they managed to secure a spot for Sochi -- a long shot at this point -- then it would take some expedition for Permanent Residency, if he doesn't have it or can't convert an existing visa easily, and citizenship. Applicants from Denmark have to go through the (real) London office, and, according to the CIC site, normal processing time is 53 months, almost 4.5 years, for London. (US applicants go through Buffalo, where normal processing time is 24 months.)

It's always possible that one of his parents is a Canadian citizen.

23. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

I'm glad she found a partner. Good luck to both of them!

24. Rock2

Rock2 Well-Known Member

He looks like the lovechild of Eric Radford and former US singles skater Scott Smith. He'll do. I wish them great success!

25. Sulphur

Sulphur New Member

I wish them well, really. Vanessa is a tremendously talented ice dancer and I wouldn't want to see that go to waste. I hope they make great progress together regardless of the name of the country they will represent.

26. shah

shah Well-Known Member

quite a peculiar pairing, but I wish them only successes. and personally, I'd love them to represent Denmark. how cool that would be to see Vanessa Crone at Euros :).

27. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I am glad she found a partner but I really wish they could compete for Denmark. It will be a long time before they can have any chance of making a major team for Canada given their depth in ice dance.

28. bobbys

bobbys New Member

I can't wait to see how it turns out, I love her and I'm so glad they will be performing together!! :)

29. blue_idealist

It's possible if V/M retire after the Olympics.. I think..

30. iggie

iggie Well-Known Member

i'm glad she found a partner!