Vaitsekhovskaya's interview with Majorov

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by TAHbKA, Apr 27, 2011.

1. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

My son and I are beginners
    The coach Alexandr Majorov is known in Russia as the first coach of the SLC Olympic Champion Yagudin. The skater Alexandr Majorov started to sound familiar when the Swedesh skater became 3rd in junior worlds.

Majorov-jr's skate is Moscow was a failure: while he did quite well in the qualification round he was unable to control the nerves and failed the short programme. Nevertheless, the interview with his father took place in Moscow.

AM: when we moved to Sweden Sasha was just a year old. When we realized we would be leaving I asked Mishin to take Alexey Yagudin from me. I wanted him to skate under a good coach. Who else would I ask but my old coach? The first 3 years Alexey came to my skating camp in Sweden, then he stopped.

EV: Were you leaving because of the poverty?
    AM: Yes. Sankt-Petersburg was tough. Especially after we had a child.

EV: And in Sweden the conditions were much better to begin with?
    AM: Depends what you compare it to. If to St. Petersburg - yes, indeed. My wife and I didn't plan to stay there for long, we thought we'd make some money and come back. Perhaps we would buy a bigger flat. But all of the sudden the prices went up and we realized we can't solve the problem when back home. Sasha started attending a Swedesh school by then and I realized mentally he is more of a Swedesh kid than the Russian which would cause some additional problems. I checked the coaches situations and realized I have no one to turn to in the figure skating federation when looking for a job.
    We led a nice life by then in Sweden, had another child. So we stayed.

EV: Which citizenship do you have?
    AM: Double.

EV: Why is he skating for Sweden and not Russia? Was it his choice?
    AM: It just happened. When he started participating the championships and could go to the european olympics he had to choose the so called sportive citizenship. We received a letter from Russia they have no claims over Sasha and do not mind him representing any other country.

EV: Did it hurt you?
    AM: I wasn't even thinking about that, but later realized I like it especially when my son beats the Russian guys. Not because I was hurt, but because I think of myself as a Russian figure skating school represent. And I love thinking that after so many years of working in a different country Sasha and I are at least not worse than those who train and grow in Russia.

EV: As a coach when did you start taking your son seriously?
    AM: Reckon I still don't. We just try working as hard as we can and progress. The thing is that we live in a pretty small place in the north of Sweden. There is almost no figure skating there, but there is a rink. So Sasha has to work alone quite alot. Which is very hard. I try to help him by coming to the practices on with my skates and try to be his competition. Last season I felt his potential is much higher. This year I learned he can hold it together at the competitions. Hence I can't understand what happened in the short programme after his great skate at the qualification. It might had been the consiquences of the qualification. Not that it took too much of him, but that the competition began not what it always begins with. We'll think, analyze, look for a reason. After all - Sasha and I are beginners in the world arena

2. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Interesting article, thank you for posting.

3. luCN

luCN New Member

feel sorry for Swedesh,their skaters maybe don't have the best technical side but always have very unique programs...

4. Lis

Lis Active Member

Me too I love the Swedish skaters.Their programs are always different from the others.
    I miss them!

5. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

I was really sorry neither made it to the LP. I loved Schultheiss' progarmmes and would love to see what is so wonderful about Majorov (though taking it was his first competition reckon I'll get the chance in the future). However, Majorov was far from impressive and Schulthiess gave me a Joubert/Pluschenko flashbacks - as in Joubert only skates great when there is Pluschenko to beat, the same way Schultheiss skates well when there is Berntsson to beat (and I promise one day to learn how the last names are spelled)