Vaitsekhovskaya's article: Wrong argument (on Menshov vs Kovtun and Pluschenko)

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by TAHbKA, Jan 12, 2013.

1. ItalianFan

ItalianFan Member

Many assume that Plushenko has no hope against the Japanese or Chan in Sochi given his age and injuries but in Youtube there is a video made a few days ago during the ice shows in Japan where journalists ask Weir, Kulik, Buttle and Candeloro among others to rate the top skaters placement in Sochi. Kulik said that Plushenko is "the greatest skater of all time" and expects him to win. Part of that statement is probably due to Russian solidarity but still I wouldn't be so quick to write him off, mortal or no mortal...chan was not rated as well as Plushenko & Takahashi

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  2. flowerpower

flowerpower Well-Known Member

I would never write him off. Plushenko is a remarkable competitor, as well as a remarkable skater, and he may possibly win in Sochi (which would be an historic achievement), though Chan, Takahashi, and others certainly have chances as well.

But strategically, he's better off avoiding head-to-head competition with those others at the moment, for a number of reasons.

ETA: I did not mean that to come across as a negative comment. If Plushy nails his programs in Sochi, hats off to him and I will be on my feet cheering. The former Olympians who commented about skaters' Sochi placement all know how important the mental side of competition is at the Olympics, as well as the technical. Since Plushenko excels in both areas, he will be a formidable competitor at Sochi.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2013
  3. TAHbKA

TAHbKA Well-Known Member

And yet it's Chan who keeps winning the Worlds.

Were they asked whether they'd like to come back and compete? Kulik :swoon:

4. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

I don't think anyone has been writing Plushenko off - anybody who's been watching figure skating since 2010 or earlier would know better than that ;)

As for that video for Japanese tv, when you said that Chan wasn't rated as well....in a sense you're right, but it was only marginal: Plushenko and Takahashi both got three nods for gold while Chan had two (including Candeloro who edged his bet and said Chan, Plushenko and Takahashi could all get the gold :lol:)

I really wouldn't read to much into any of this: as Slustkaya pointed out when they asked the athletes to do the same for the Ladies, it's just too early. Also, when you listen to the argument of why people chose one particular skater as their favorite for a given medal, it was clear that it was also at least in part down to personal preference: Kulik reasoning was that Plushenko was the "greatest skater who had walked the earth" and that it would be historic, so he would be rooting for him (I guess the fact that he's Russian helps too :D). He also chose Takahashi for silver because he's one of his all-time favorites. Johnny chose Takahashi as gold, and Plushenko as silver for fairly similar reasons (he's his friend so he's hoping he can medal at home). What was cute was that Johnny specifically said that Hanyu could win (he bet on him for bronze) but in a way, because he's so young, he hoped he'd rather continue further :D We didn't get to hear Jeffrey's reasoning who was the only one to vote for Chan as gold winner exclusively

So much can happen in a year - I mean, had they done the same kind of "poll" before GPF, it may well be that Chan would have ranked ahead of Takahashi, especially with two lacklusters performances at GPs - but GPF and his free skate at Japanese Nationals have given him momentum in recent weeks

5. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

Has Kovtun gotten his qualifying score yet for Europeans?

6. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Kovtun had already attained the minimum TES scores (Euros & Worlds) on the JGP before Russian Nationals.

7. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

Oh, thanks. I guess I'm confused. Was it one of their ladies who needed a qualifying score?

8. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Yes. Kovtun did really well on the JGP.

9. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Gosviani. She made both Euros minimums at Nesquick this past weekend. Her SP score also made the Worlds TES SP minimum. She was a few points shy of the Worlds TES FS minimum, but she was competing as a Junior, since there was no Senior singles competition there, and there is one fewer element in Junior FS's (no CH sequence) and the program is shorter in length.