Vaitsekhovskaya speaks to Mishin `The great ones are judged differently'

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by TAHbKA, Mar 1, 2013.

1. Glacier cat

Glacier cat Member

Yes. If Plushy becomes the second person, I will be very happy not only as his fan but as sports fan. I always get excited that Plushy is still competing in my lifetime. Even without any medal, I will be happy if he can compete in Sochi after such major surgery :)

2. lala

lala Well-Known Member

exactly :respec:

3. sadya

sadya Active Member

Achieving high results nowadays is perhaps even more special than in the past, as the sport is more demanding and thus more difficult for your body to stay healthy after repeated movements and pressure in any sport, not just figure skating. Not to take anything away from what athletes achieved in the past. They were developping the sports and great in their own way, but perhaps there never has been more strain on the athlete's body than in our times.

So it's still special if athletes win or medal multiple times. It doesn't happen that often in international level anymore.

4. umronnie

umronnie Well-Known Member

I hope by 'living' you mean "not officialy retired from skating". Otherwise it will sadden me greatly to learn about the passing of some of these athletes.

But, "records" aside, you really cannot compare the careers of Gillis Grafstrom, or Ulrich Salcow and his 10 world titles, to the careers of modern skaters. This is a totally different sport - and not just in the physical demands. When Grafstrom won his medals the men's field encompassed 14 men (in 1920) to 23 (in 1928). The competition was so physically demanding that the 1920 bronze was won by 44 year old Martin Stixrud and the ladies' gold by the 3-months pregnant Magda Julin....(Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Figure_skating_at_the_1920_Summer_Olympics).

When Salcow won his first world title, there was no bronze medal, as there were only two participants (it's difficult to see how this would make a "world" championship). When he won his last title there were 7....

5. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Glacier Cat, Maybe I misunderstand your table, but quite a few single skaters who have won a total of 2 Olympic medals are missing: Bocki, Candelero, David Jenkins, Patrick Pera, Stojko, Brian Orser, Petrenko and among the women, Kwan, Kerrigan, Slutskaya, Lu Chen, Fritzi Burger, Tenley Albright, Carol Heiss, Jeanette Altwegg, Dijkstra.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Does that mean they might have second thoughts about his remaining in training?

:watch:

7. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I'm sure they have had second and third thoughts, but doubt that's what Mishin meant by that statement. They "were" aiming for a record 4th Olympic medal. He can't say they "are" aiming for a record that they found out isn't really a record after all. Hitting that record is no longer their motivation, so either they are no longer pursuing a 4th Olympics or, more likely, they are pursuing it with different motivation.

ETA: With the team event, technically they can go for 5 medals, but I think he's talking about individual medals or just participation in 4 Olympics.

8. Glacier cat

Glacier cat Member

I quoted it from here. I think someone who can edit needs to work :D

By the way, reading through the wiki page of the Olympic medalists in men's figure skating, I noticed that there were only a few Olympians at the early Olympic games. :confused:

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  9. lala

lala Well-Known Member

10. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Glacier cat, your intent was right on, but where you erred was not including *exactly* what the wiki page stated, which states ATHLETES WHO WON AT LEAST TWO GOLD MEDALS OR THREE TOTAL MEDALS ARE LISTED BELOW: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Olympic_medalists_in_figure_skating

And as you can see by what Iceman has posted there are quite a few skaters that have won 2 olympic medals, thus the reason the person whom created the wiki file narrowed it down, totally understandable.

I give you the benefit of the doubt, Glacier cat, I knew what you were getting at, but a non-Plushy fan imho would want to **** with you.

And don't discard the past, unronnie, everything's relative. Just as what is being done today will most likely be considered irrelevant and easy by those 100+ years from now, even if we know differently. What Sonja & Gillis did in their day was A-W-E-S-O-M-E, and I acknowledge that fact! *bow* :respec:

Back to the here & now, Zhenya is definitely a Great One (on the aforementioned wiki list only he, Henie, and Grafstrom are singles skaters), so despite what he does here on in, his records speak for themselves, but to truly become an Immortal like Grafstrom & Henie he'll have to do more imho. And that means going above & beyond, adding that 4th Olympic medal to his arsenal, not just competing in his fourth Olympic Games, which has been done already by several (Stojko & Sebestyen to name a few). No, adding that 4th Olympic Medal will elevate him from Great to Immortal. jmho. :hat1:

:kickass:GOOOOOOOOOOOOO ZHENYA!!!!:kickass:

11. senorita

senorita New Member

I think when Mishin works he is really dead serious and you dont want to be around him but one day, it was Thursday before the pairs Lp, after the men sp, we met him in the restaurant that was close to the arena, not the pizzeria one, the other one that had local food and was proposed here back then and he was very polite and even cheerful, proposed us some dishes from the menu and took pictures with us. Then on Friday we saw him as we were entering the arena and he remembered us and said goodmorning, and when we told him good luck for Liza his face lit.

12. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

happy B-Day to Grandpa Mishin !