"V" - the new 2009 tv series...

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Buzz, Oct 31, 2009.

1. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Sorry, fans but that was one boring hour - not in any way worth the wait. Have fun watching, but I will most definitely not be tuning in again.
  2. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

IIRC, it's airing a four episode block now and the remaining nine episodes after the Olympics. I don't really like that it's broken up that way but hopefully it works out for ABC. The show has a ton of potential and deserves a chance to find its audience. I've talked to a few friends on other boards and they all liked it tonight too. :)

emason-Sorry you didn't like it. I'm not sure how you thought it was boring but to each his own. I'm glad you gave it a shot tonight.
  3. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

This article describes some of the production issues that resulted in the first arc being shortened from 6 to 4 episodes which compacted the story a bit.
  4. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I was busy and only had half an eye on it. Very interesting premise, but I thought the execution could have been a little bit better. But it's early yet. I was pretty intrigued by the guy -- what was his name? -- who was going to propose to his girlfriend and turned out to be one of the aliens.
  5. JJH

JJH Well-Known Member

I found the pacing and editing forced. I'm hoping that it will improve once they stop trying to force several hours of the original series into 1 hour.
  6. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

I wish they hadn't tried to cram so much into one hour. Just because there was an original in the 1980's doesn't mean they had to reveal the reptilian nature of the Visitors so soon. It was like they want to get it all laid out in one fell swoop so that they could get right to the resistance part.

Still I thought it looked really good and will tune in for more. My LOST devotion demands equal devotion to Elizabeth Mitchell - I'll watch her in anything!
  7. Orable

Orable New Member

I thought it was fun, but I'll probably watch SYTYCD next week live and watch this online. I was thinking that they were revealing too much stuff too quickly (FBI partner is actually an alien? Fiance-wannabe an alien-traitor-turned-resistor?), but reading this thread now has me realizing that they want to pay homage to the original series and then go on to something new...okidokie.

I did like the character of the doubting priest :) I think he's my fave so far.
  8. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

I was a huge fan of the original show (somewhere, I still have the original script), and was very disappointed with the episode. What I thought was the most interesting aspect of the original series was not the resistance part, but the build up to it. I was fascinated to see the human characters react to the Visitors -- some were instant Visitor fans; others were skeptical and remained so; others were skeptical, but gradually became converts; and still others never lost their skepticism, but took roles with the Visitors to feed their own ambition. That just seemed mostly to get glossed over. Meanwhile, while that process was happening, the hints were being dropped about the Visitors' motives and true natures. That built suspense. For the most part, with the exception of the reporter, the humans are falling pretty squarely into the pro- and anti-Visitor camp. Without similar evolution, which introduced a lot of families and back-stories, the characters in this show seemed paper thin (which is shocking when you think of how bad Marc Singer and Faye Grant were as actors). There also are so many fewer characters to focus on. You basically have the FBI agent, her son, priest, TV reporter, visitor spy, and his girlfriend. The original show had multiple families, the network of scientists, and some random workers. I understand that budgets limit cast size, I hate that this show just mostly jumped to the "let's resist" part.
  9. Orable

Orable New Member

Aw, reckless, sounds like the original show was awesome :( I guess I'll have to add it to my Netflix list...
  10. reckless

reckless Well-Known Member

I think the original show was very good for its time, but it is pretty dated now (it screams 80s), and there is a lot of weak acting. However, the story was what really propelled it, even if the Nazi allegory, at times, was about as subtle as a two-by-four across the brow.
  11. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Hopefully they rushed the first episode because they are going in a new direction with the new series. I kinda liked the personal dynamic between the FBI agent and the priest. After all he was in plain clothes and never identified himself as a priest. Plus it sounds like he is also having a crisis of faith. :)
  12. jeffisjeff

jeffisjeff Well-Known Member

I liked it! I don't think it was too much too soon at all. The only disappointment for me was Bailey. But hopefully he'll grow into the role.

Oh, and for all you Father Jack fans, I got there first! ;) I've been a fan since The 4400.
  13. colinmom71

colinmom71 Active Member

Yeah, the new "SyFy" spelling is annoying. My husband told me why they changed it. The term SciFi is considered a common usage term and thus cannot be trademarked. However, changing the spelling to the unique and uncommon SyFy allows NBC (the parent company) to now trademark and register their content, especially their original programming that airs exclusively on SyFy (like Eureka and Tin Man). Yes, it's blatant profiteering but it allows them to keep more money "in house" and thus invest in more programming in the future...

As for the new version of V, I was impressed by the pilot episode. I was afraid it would be a bad restructure of the original series, but they did a really good job of tightening the narrative and character types. I really liked Elizabeth Mitchell's character (but then I've always liked Mitchell in just about anything). I'm almost glad that her role in "LOST" may be in jeopardy depending on V's success.

Morena Baccarin does a good job playing the cool as a cucumber Anna. But it kinda makes me miss Jane Badler's sinuously sexy Diana. And I'm also amused at how Joel Gretsch, who plays the younger priest, bears a rather markable resemblance to Marc Singer in his younger years (but Gretsch is a better actor!). And the other support actors and characters were also quite good. But for once, I'd just like to see a series where Alan Tudyk doesn't get like severely killed!

I also liked how we come into the story with the backdrop having already started (the "sleeper cells") and with the questioning of the Visitors' motives becoming quickly addressed. The tighter story structure helped me feel like there wasn't going to be too much exposition to re-tell the story from the original mini-series. I really was pleasantly surprised by this updated version of V...
  14. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Really enjoyed it! I felt it got a bit silly at times (I can't see a bunch of New Yorkers giving a standing ovation after a speech made by aliens--maybe if the ship was in Toronto...), but by the end of it I was hooked. Can't wait for more episode. I don't mind the break--I wish all the other shows were on hiatus during the Olympics.

I have never seen the original V in my life (I was too young and it seemed too scary) but did they cover how people in the other major cities coped? It seemed the show could broaden its scope beyond New York, as we're seeing with Flashforward.

BTW, a V/Flashforward/Lost triple header all on one night would probably make my brain melt.
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2009
  15. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov New Member

IMO that was a great change from the original mini-series; that Bryan (I think that was his name) was already on earth when the ships arrived. At the beginning of the program the viewers are led to believe that he is human. The revelation that some of the visitors were already on earth was :wideeyes:.

manhn, the original V focused on the main characters located in L.A. IIRC, you never really saw how other countries dealt with the visitors. I've been trying to follow the original on SyFy but have missed parts of it.
  16. Wyliefan

Well, there is the reporter who's struggling with having to compromise his principles over the whole "You will not portray us in a negative light" thing. I'm interested to see where that goes.
  17. LordCirque

LordCirque New Member

I enjoyed it, but I've never seen the original series, so I was a little disappointed to find out the aliens are evil. I was hoping for a sci fi show where the alien interaction was positive for once. SIGH. Maybe next time...

Is it just me or is Scott Wolf a dead ringer for Michael J Fox?
  18. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Sorry, I had him at Taken, even though he was pure eville in that miniseries.
  19. Kiss My 1040

Kiss My 1040 New Member

I really hope the Aliens aren't just bad. I like multiple sides to my characters. I hope there is redeemable elements to them and they aren't just 100% evil.
  20. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I hope so too. But I do remember from the original that they were a lot of aliens who did not agree with what their mission on earth.
  21. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

I'm giving it a chance because I LOVED the original so much. I also miss Jane Badler's Diana. She sizzled on that show IMO. After Elizabeth, she was my favourite character.
  22. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I loved the original. I really did. But I'm glad they're using that as a departure point, because 1) it's already well known and 2) it was incredibly cheesy. Yes, the pilot was a bit rushed and there was too much crammed in there - but was there ANYONE who tuned in to the show who hadn't already heard that the Visitors are lizards? Even the promo materials for the show have Anna with lizard eyes. The cat's already out of the bag, so I'm glad they didn't try to pretend otherwise for several episodes.

Elizabeth Mitchell and the young priest are obviously the focus of the show, and that's fine with me. We'll get Scott Wolf and his relationship with the Vs, and Erica's son Tyler (who's the only real misstep here - I found nothing likeable or even sympathetic about the kid at all) with the cross-species love triangle. Very intrigued by Ryan (Morris Chestnut) and his role in the resistance. And how he will balance that with his life w/ his fiancee.

Aside from Tyler, I think the show has stellar casting. I even like Scott Wolf - I think he's kinda perfect as the tv newscaster who struggles between being the Vs' lapdog and being a real journalist. And Morena Baccarin looks FAB. I swear she managed to look very lizardlike with some of those camera angles and her face is annoyingly flawless :lol:
  23. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Yeah, I watched some of the original on Youtube again just to make sure I hadn't watched something different to those who were saying how brilliant the script had been. And umm, can I say "rose-coloured glasses"? ;)
  24. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

All I can say is thank gawd Marc Singer isn't in this remake of the show...

I am also completely annoyed by how flawless Anna's face is... ;)
  25. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

She really is exquisite.

I love the V's constant "I know you're the one who farted, but don't worry, I won't tell anyone" look on their faces.

Hmmm, Scott Wolf is married to Kelley from MTV's "Real World: New Orleans". The only person I remember from that show was the cutie pie gay boy with the military boyfriend. She must have been the perky blonde.
  26. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

:lol:
    I've been trying to think about how to describe the serene and secretive look they have, and yeah....you nailed it. Of course, now I won't be able to watch the show without laughing.....
  27. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

The invasion is here again. LOL I love the fact that in Joel Gretsch I have a sexy actor I can lust after without feeling like a dirty old woman. hehehehe
  28. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Odds that the old priest is a lizard?
  29. HeatherC

I've all ready jumped twice tonight and we're only a half hour in, LOL :lol: (And I think the senior priest is an alien too along with a few of those FBI people.)

I love this show. :D

"You're a freaking priest?!!" -Line of the night :rofl:
  30. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly! :respec:
  31. CDANN1013

CDANN1013 Active Member

I agree with everyone who thinks the old priest is a lizard. Will I get kicked out of the Catholic Church if I want the priest and the FBI agent to get together? Sorry I don't know the names yet.

Carol
  32. HeatherC

I don't think so. ;) I also don't think you're the only one who likes Jack and Erica together. They have a great chemistry and I love how they play off one another. Joel Grietsh and Elizabeth Mitchell are all kinds of awesome. :kickass:

I liked tonight's episode almost more than last week's because it was a little slower paced but at the same time, it kept up the intensity and action from the premiere. I seriously jumped about three times at different points (the shower scene got me good! :yikes: ) and you really don't know who you can trust. I love that about this version. It keeps you guessing and everyone is a suspect. I'm enjoying this show so much and I can't wait for next week's episode! :rollin:
  33. jayta

jayta New Member

I can't say I want any pairings just yet. I think it was hilarious that there was 4400 on the wall (shoutout to JG's time on that show that shouldn't have been cancelled :() But alas, only my sci-fi geekiness would allow that.

Anyways, I'm TOTALLY in agreement over TYLER! OMGOSH! I want him to die. I want one of those scaly lizards to wipe that stupid arrogant look on his face when talking to his mother who has taken care of him whilst his father took off, and the only other second look on his face where he is googly eyed at the blonde lizard person!

I swears I wanted him dead the moment he opened his mouth. He's not even hot! :rolleyes:

Overall I'm enjoying the show. I never saw the original so I don't know a lot about it. But they've cast well. And I like the mix of action and creepy sci-finess.

Not a huge fan of SW. But I'm sure I can live with it.

I mean the whole show you're wondering who the heck ISN'T a lizard! I too am thinking that the old priest guy is a lizard!

I don't think I want Erica and the priest to hook up though. Just doesn't work for me. I'd love it if his 'ex partner' from The 4400 were to show up or something...that would slay me! :lol:
  34. Fergus

Fergus Well-Known Member

Tyler, you brat, the planet has been invaded by aliens and your mom says "I love you" - SAY IT BACK!!! Brainwashed by alien flirting......

Old priest has got to be a V....or else its a very obvious set-up for no reason.

But I suppose you're also supposed to be wondering about Erica's boss (Paul?) and her curly-haired co-worker.

In or out of church drag, Father Jack is :swoon:

By the way its situated against the Empire State Building, the mother-ship is definitely supposed to be over my apartment. Dammit, I already don't get enough natural light in my bathroom!!!! :mad:
  35. Wyliefan

:lol:

Had to go out last night and missed all but the last five minutes, but these mini-recaps are almost as good as actually watching the show!
  36. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Older Priest is being so clearly set up as a V that I'm thinking he won't end up being one :p

I can't shake the feeling that "Mal", the female FBI agent who questions Father Jack, is a V, only because that actress was one of the final 5 on Battlestar Galactica (and the bitchiest one). I can't picture her being on the side of humans. :p

Love the interactions between Erica and Father Jack, but my main emotional investment in the show is about Ryan. I so want him to find the other rebel lizards and help the resistance. And I want his hottie fiancee to be ok!

I continue to be impressed by how much Morena Baccarin can convey in one serene expression. and how lizard-like her flawless face can appear.

Tyler is a complete loser. Not interesting and not good looking either. Even his goofball friend is more compelling. Also don't care about his would-be gf Lisa. And I'm wondering what makes him think that underneath his mattress is a good hiding place for his V-Cadet uniform, as I'm guessing his mom makes his bed (teenage boys do not make their beds that nicely with sheets out of a Pottery Barn catalog).
  37. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Is everyone on this episode speaking alien or is there something wrong with the audio?
  38. rfisher

A couple of big plot holes. How would you walk into a strange room with aliens all around and stand there without worrying someone would walk in? And a room with all the alien technology and an ordinary light switch on the wall? :lol:
  39. HeatherC

Please tell me I'm not the only one who had a few jaw dropping moments tonight. :yikes: I was surprised to find out that guy who was supposedly helping Dale heal from his injuries is part of that Fifth Column resistance group of V's and I was also surprised that Lisa is Anna's daughter. I had read that Lisa had a bigger role on the show than had been implied so far but I didn't see that one coming! And what do they actually want with Tyler? Not that he's my fave character or anything but it sounds sinister and that's just good fun. ;)

I'm probably the only one who'll say this but I'm still very into this show and can't wait for next week. I think they're placing things plot wise for the next 'pod' of shows in the spring and I'm very intrigued with what the V's are up to with the testing we saw in the promo. I bet next week is some sort of cliffhanger and hopefully it's awesome. I REALLY hope people are willing to come back to the show when it returns in March. That's my biggest worry with this show and I'm tired of seeing shows that I really enjoy fade off into the sunset, especially ones that have a ton of potential. :yikes:

And I enjoyed the light switch. Hey, I guess aliens need light too, LOL :rofl: That screen with all the various scenes on it that Erica saw was all kinds of :kickass: though. Wow! Can you imagine looking at that?! I got dizzy watching it on my TV, LOL :lol:
  40. rfisher

Did you not see the original series? If not, I won't tell you. :sekret: