USFSA Team Jacket- Would you buy one?

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by kATYDID411, Sep 12, 2012.

1. kATYDID411

kATYDID411 New Member

For years I've wanted (and actually BEGGED) USFSA to seel replicas of the USFSA Team jacket to fans. I've always been told they are only for Team USA members. I don't think this is fair since baseball, hockey, football, basketball fans, etc can buy their team's jackets/jerseys to show their fan support.

Anyway, when I was looking at this year's FOFS membership rewards, I noticed an Official Team Jacket was listed as one of the reqards for Gold membership. $10,000+ is too high a price for me, but I wish they'd sell the jacket to fans now.

My question is: If the Official Team USA jacket were sold to fans, would you buy one??

Katy

2. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

No. It is to be earnt.

If ISA announced tomorrow they were selling Team Australia jackets I wouldn't buy one. I don't even have one of the jackets that my state association sells even though some of the skaters at my rink's SIBLINGS (non-skating) wear them. It has the state name on it, it's for earning not buying.

JMHO.

3. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

Absolutely not.

4. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Would Johnny Weir buy one? :saint:

5. lulu

lulu New Member

Only if they come with a bedazzler. :p

To answer the original question, personally, I wouldn't buy one.

6. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

No. I think the skaters probably look at getting a team jacket as a real accomplishment and it might make it less special for them if the same jackets were sold to anyone who wanted to buy one. Most of the federations sell other team merchandise that people can wear to show their support if they want, but it's sort of a nice reward to the skaters to have something special that they've earned.

7. mkats

mkats New Member

I vaguely remember Nike planning to sell versions of the gray jackets that US Olympic athletes wore on the podium this year. Does anyone know if the versions sold to the public were different in any way from the athletes' version?

8. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

I might buy them if they weren't exactly the same but just were similar. Except I don't tend to buy stuff like that so I probably wouldn't.

9. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

I agree with everyone else. The skaters are always so excited to be given their first (and successive) Team USA jackets. I say let them have that. They put in the time and effort-- I think it's an honor to wear it. Or for any skater wearing his or her team jacket. I love going to international events and seeing how proudly the skaters wear their team jackets. :)

10. kATYDID411

kATYDID411 New Member

Do you think it's wrong for USFSA to give them as a gift to the Gold members of FOFS? Does it take away from baseball players or other team spoets when replicas of their jackets (or full uniforms for that matter) are sold? After the Cardinals won the World Series last year, at a game early this season, they gave awy replica rings to the first 15,000 fans. The rings obviously weren't as nice, but I don't think that takes away from the Cardinals accomplishments last year.

11. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Those uniforms are what players wear day in and day out. There's no special sense of accomplishment associated with them -other than making the team to begin with. You only get a team jacket in skating once you get an international assignment. USFSA already sells warm-ups and similar attire (last I checked, at least) to anyone who wants to buy them, but I agree team jackets themselves would be better off left for the athletes alone.

12. gingercat

gingercat Active Member

A team jacket from any nation is something that comes with years of hard work, not a credit card.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  13. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

14. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

I thought there were "replicas" of team jackets in the USFS store? Why is this even an issue?

I don't think there's anything wrong with obtaining them, especially if they are being given to "high level donors."

The Nike Gray Olympic jackets (same that athletes wore) were for sale for $450 in the NBC store. I might have bought one, except they were sold out. And no, I wouldn't feel like I was ripping off an athlete who put in "years of hard work" by wearing one.

It's in the same vein of saying that it's "wrong" for a collector to purchase an Olympic medal that they didn't earn. It's not like they're saying "I won this in the Olympics!!" by having it in their collection. Even if they wanted to go around wearing it like jewelry, it's not fraudulent unless they are saying they won it themselves.

Is it wrong for staffers on the football team to get Superbowl rings like the players have? They weren't on the field.

There is "Team USA" memorabilia everywhere, for every sport. If I see someone wearing a "Team USA" item, I sure don't get indignant and think "How dare they, they obviously weren't on the team." The jackets are fashionable and patriotic. Let people pay for them, wear them, and show their support if they want to.

IIRC, Johnny Weir was wearing a "Russia" jacket to his competitions, while representing the U.S. Some people got offended, but it's what he wanted to wear. There may have been talk about it not being patriotic, but was anyone really confused and thought he was pretending to be a member of the Russian team? Or offended because he didn't put in the work to be a member of the Russian team?

Last edited: Sep 12, 2012
  15. Oz_sk8ting_mum

Oz_sk8ting_mum New Member

Team Australia have to buy their own jackets anyway as well as earn them :eek:

16. BittyBug

BittyBug Kiteless

What Johnny wore in Torino was a jacket with CCCP on it ("USSR" in Cyrillic), which was a fashion jacket. The jackets were fairly popular at the time and widely available in ordinary department stores and fashion boutiques; it was not a Team Russia jacket.

(Johnny does have a bunch of Bosco Sport Team Russia stuff, but after the flak he took for the Torino incident I don't think he ever wore anything at a competition other than his Team USA gear.)

17. Otterpop

Otterpop New Member

Absolutely not. These kids have worked their backsides off for years to EARN these coveted jackets. Regardless of what some countries do it would be morally wrong. Give these athletes a pat on the back not a slap in the face.

18. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Why does that not surprise me?

Anyway, I look at the pics of Josh and Jason in their USFSA jackets and I think about how hard they've worked to earn the right to wear them. I haven't worked anywhere near as hard. It would seem wrong to be able to just buy one.

19. kATYDID411

kATYDID411 New Member

I honestly didn't mean this to become so contentious of a debate. I only want a jacket to show SUPPORT for USFSA, which they clearly need based on tv viewship (and I like the jackets since 2008-present). I would never want to take anything away from Team USA members. When USFSA said they wouldn't sell them for the reason you're all using, I disagreed with it, but understood. But, if letting me buy a jacket would take something away from skaters, then SURELY, letting high-rollers buy them just because they have the most money, downgrades it worse, IMO.

20. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I didn't think it needed to be contentious, either, Katydid.

If my $50 or $90 or however much they could be sold for would dishonor the meaning of the jacket, then someone else's $10,000 does as well. If the reason for not marketing them is because they are to be earned by team members, giving them to the wealthy donors is hypocritical.

21. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I agree.

22. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Personally, I wouldn't buy one (if only because I'm not American). However, I can think of plenty of pushy skating parents who would, because it would make their kid look more accomplished than their kid actually was.

23. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

But do we care if their children look more accomplished than they actually are? If the money go towards supporting skating in that country...

24. Hanna

Hanna Wheeeeeeeeeee

Also in Finland the figure skaters' team jacket is in stores for anyone to buy.

25. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

Why do you assume that buying a team jacket is to "make their children look more accomplished than they are"? Maybe they simply want a high quality, federation skating jacket that says figure skating on it. I would buy one for the same reason. I like wearing my club jacket everywhere to show that I'm a figure skater, but the logo doesn't really prominently say anything about "figure skating" and the shape is kind of frumpy and loose.

I doubt anyone involved with skating would think I'm presenting myself as a World Team member if I wanted to show support of skating with a jacket, and people at public sessions assume I'm going to the Olympics anyway, simply for having white skates. The jacket has nothing to do with it.

Anyways, the cat's already out of the bag. If wealthy donors are allowed to buy them, then everyone should. If it were that important, the donors would not be allowed to have them. It would only be worth getting upset over if the donors were allowed to have Gold Medalist jackets. It's obvious that wearing something that says "team" on it is support for the team, but a non-medalist would have no reason to wear a medalist jacket.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  26. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

I really don't care one way or another.

However, if they think that a team jacket is an exclusive enough incentive to entice donors to contribute thousands of dollars, then making them readily available to anyone for maybe a hundred dollars would take away that incentive for large contributions.

27. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Because the parents who are always on about how their kid is going to go to the Olympics or World IME are generally the parents whose kid has very little chance of doing either.

28. hanca

hanca Well-Known Member

I wrote it because someone said exactly that a few posts before my post. Personally I don't really care, so I would not even think that way. I wouldn't think that this child is more accomplished than others because it has the jacket.

Saying that, I don't think that having a feeling of deserving the jacket doesn't outweigh the fact that if it was for sale, there would be more money to spend on the figure skating in that country. As I see it, would you prefer a small group of skaters on national team having the feeling that they earned their jacket, or would allowing the jacket to be for sale to public earn enough money that would help this selected group of individuals on national team? What is more beneficial? Having a good feeling that you earned something, or having more money for your training? After all, the great feeling that they earned it is not just tied to the jacket; they have earned the status of 'member of national team'.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2012
  29. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

At least recently, the team jacket has been a nice reward for the skaters who've worked and been invited to an international competition. Whether or not I think it should be seen as something that is a recognition of accomplishment, it appears that's how a lot of skaters think about them.

I also think it's fine and certainly not wrong to want to show support for the team. The shop on the federation site has a lot of merchandise, including some jackets, that you can purchase. Many of the pieces are either purchased by or given to the skaters, so a lot of it is the same merchandise they use. If someone wants to support the team, there are a lot of ways to do it.

If the jackets are viewed as a "reward", I'd prefer to not see them given to large donors either and I doubt most people who are donating $10,000 are doing it for a jacket. But that is a lot of money that goes to help skaters, so I think it's reasonable to have some nice recognition to show that their contribution is appreciated.

I don't think any of this is "right" or "wrong", but I do think it's nice to find relatively inexpensive ways to let both the skaters and the people who donate to support the skaters know that they're appreciated and their contributions are recognized, while also finding ways to encourage fans to show their support however they are able.

Kasey and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Skatingfan924

Skatingfan924 New Member

I support USFSA and was surprised to see in the benefits for this year the team jacket. I, like the original poster, wrote the association suggesting that they make the jackets available or something similar. I don't think the identical jacket going to fans would be fair. I did suggest that they could sell them without the team USA on it. I was just shocked to see if you have $10000 to give away, you can get one. Money does all things in the USA.