1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

USFSA, PSA Announce 2011 Coach of the Year Nominees

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Jenna, May 10, 2011.

1. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

Based on her posting history, this one doesn't like Tanith either, to put it mildly. How did she manage to offend you - outskate your daughter somehow?

2. just wondering

just wondering Member

This thread is not the first time this member has made disparaging comments about Kori. I have met Kori and know several skaters who have found their lessons with her extremely helpful. And, yes, these lessons included jumps. Clearly there is more to the snipping than we know; reads like insecurity to me.

3. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

Kori is a wonderful example of the future of coaches. I find her great and genuine.

4. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

dupagegal doesn't like anybody. Her tone in every thread is extremely negative.

Good thing FSU has the "ignore" option. :cool:

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  5. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

:blah:
    Have you taught anybody extensively? Or been taught?
    A huge percentage of mentoring somebody young consists of pacing them, helping them find their individuality and not killing their love for the subject (sport, music, whatever). If on top of that a person can ask advice from people who know better and not let ego get in the way- that person learns, the student learns, everybody wins. If your complaints about Kori is that she could recognize the talent when she saw it, guided it wisely and asked others to help when she could not, putting the student first- well, the developmental coach award is right in front of my eyes.

Somebody else also might be deserving; but the point is your "criticism" only compliments what Kori did.

Last edited: May 28, 2011
  6. Sylvia

Sylvia Club comp. season is here!

OK, I've heard unofficially that Kori Ade won USFS/PSA's Developmental Coach of the Year award. In addition to coaching Jason Brown to an impressive 9th place Senior debut at Nationals (and a 7th place finish at Junior Worlds), another student of hers, Jordan Moeller, won the Novice Men's silver medal.

ETA: And Igor Shpilband and Marina Zoueva reportedly did win the Coach of the Year award, as expected. :)

Last edited: May 28, 2011
    Lanna and (deleted member) like this.
  7. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Good for Kori!:)

And well deserved for Igor and Marina..

8. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

Agreed on both counts!!

9. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Thanks Sylvia. Well deserved recognition for excellent work this season.
    Congrats!

10. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

Hooray for Kori! I was hoping Yuka and Jason would win but Igor and Marina do deserve it.

11. madm

madm Active Member

Anybody know who received the Choreographer of the Year Award and the Sports Science Award?

12. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

KORI! :cheer2:

And Marina and Igor, the obvious choices. :cheer2:

13. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Very well deserved on all accounts! :)

14. LadyGray

LadyGray New Member

Oh, yeah, I'd have loved for it to go to Yuka and Jason, too, but I can see the obvious argument for Igor and Marina.

15. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I can confirm Kori Ade's and S&Z's awards.

I listed the award winners that I could remember here:
    http://skatingforums2.com/index.php/topic,1774.0.html

16. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Congrats to Frank Carroll for the Ritter Shumway award - well deserved: "Presented to a person in the skating world who has earned distinction for unending dedication and significant contribution to the world of figure skating." :cheer:

And :cheer: that a photo of Michelle's sprial wins for photo of the year!

And Yuka got the Sonja Henie award.

17. AYS

AYS Ruder than you thought

And congratulations to Charles Fetter, my first skating coach ever in group lessons 40 years ago for winning the Betty Berens award.

18. Sylvia

Sylvia Club comp. season is here!

Official press release of the winners was published today: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=46192

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  19. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Josh Babb - this is the first time a synchro coach has been nominated for one of these awards, yes? That's a big deal.

20. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Tom Z has already won this award, so it likely won't be him (the year he had Jeremy, Ryan, and Brandon in the the top 4 at nationals for men and Rachael either first or second for the women). The coaches usually win according to their skaters' placements so I would say Zoueva/Shpilband and Christy Krall are shoe-ins.

21. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Congrats to all the winners - especially KORI!

I was also kinda hoping for Yuka and Jason, but can't deny that it's been Igor and Marina's year

22. dupagegal

dupagegal New Member

Last edited: May 31, 2011
  23. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

How insightful of you, Bill. :rolleyes: :blah:

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  24. overedge

overedge where's the remote?

Bitter much??

25. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Any links to the winning photo?

26. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Congrats to all...and Frankie's award makes me smile..

Rach on, Kori!

27. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

I thought the development coach could not have a skater who won a national title - does that mean a senior title? Jason Brown won the 2010 Junior Men's title.

Criteria:
    Her outstanding coaching this year was Jason's performances in Seniors, right? ... :shuffle: Don't get me wrong, I'm happy she won. I've never seen Moeller skate but I absolutely loved Jason Brown's skating.

28. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

I think the rule only applies to national champions at the senior level. Plus, Jason has been skating at the junior level internationally all season long.

29. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I think national champion is only senior -- they actually call it "Championship Ladies" "Championship Dance"... in the USFSA schedules.

30. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

Interesting... Anyway, the future (e.g. Jason Brown´s further development as a skater and competitor) will show how good - or not so good - she is as a coach.