USFS Hall of Fame 2012-The Kween!

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by victoriaheidi, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Kween alert! On-ice induction ceremony starting soon! (live streamed for season pass subscribers on Icenetwork)

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  2. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

I wish we could see the montage better

3. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Brian Boitano speaking now... I wonder if he is re-using part of last night's speech?

4. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

rfisher are you at least crying softly enough to hear brian?

5. rfisher

:wuzrobbed I was OK until she started crying.

6. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

MK getting choked up at the well earned adoration

7. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Don't cry, Michelle! (Hi LadyNit! :))

8. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

She looks absolutely gorgeous. :)

9. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

interesting - MK thanks "my coaches", Frank Carrol & Lori Nichol, but not Rafael or Scott Williams

10. rfisher

What a remarkable woman she's grown to be. She will always be my favorite skater.

11. BelleBway

BelleBway a monkey stole my title

I was crying a bit watching the ceremony and reliving so many memories; Jazzie kitten looked at me like I was crazy, lol. It's even beyond her skating- there is something so special about Michelle, something that comes along so rarely.

I hope she inspires the last 2 groups of skaters tonight to really go for it.

12. DBZ

DBZ Well-Known Member

Man, I wish I could see this. :(

Hope someone will post it somewhere later.

13. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I totally teared up too. :) I'm so happy I got to witness such a special moment. Michelle looked so beautiful! The crowd cheered a long time when she took the mic. She cried but delivered her thank you speech very composedly.

I feel so honored to have witnessed Michelle's journey from 1996 in San Jose to now. She's such a remarkable athlete and an incredible woman. She's given the sport so much and I'm just grateful I can say I grew up during the Golden Age of skating and got to witness all of those amazing Michelle Kwan moments firsthand. She is so deserving of this honor and I'm so happy and proud of her. :D

14. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Understandable though. In the grand scheme of things, Rafael and Scott didn't do much of anything. Michelle was already Michelle Kwanwhen she went to them. Not too much to do there...

But Frank and Lori deserve the credit for transforming the little spindly-legged, ponytailed jumping bean into the elegant, graceful and amazing skater she became.

15. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

16. smileyskate

smileyskate New Member

Hopefully it will get posted there soon. I missed it and most of the ladies' short programs.

17. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Then Kwan completely wasted her money on both of them, right? People had commented that MK's jumps looked bigger when she was with Rafael. Kwan was with Rafael for two seasons. Publicly thanking him and Scott for their time wouldn't have taken that much of an effort.

18. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Ahhh, that was wonderful. Yes, a special moment. I hope they will show some of the induction ceremony on tv tonight. Also, maybe the opening montage might be shown as well -- as IN did not show it full screen.

I had to laugh when I saw that the opening to the montage was an excerpt from the Jerry Maguire movie in which Cuba G's character refers to: The Kwan The Whole Package. In a GSD thread several weeks ago, I had posted that very dialogue. I wonder if those who put the montage together got the idea to use that excerpt from the JM film after seeing my post. :p

MKwan has definitely made a big impact, not just on fs, but on American culture, while at the same time staying down-to-earth, genuine and amazing. I loved seeing the emotion and friendship between Brian and Michelle. It's always lovely too to see what Michelle is wearing. :cool:

Thanks manleywoman for the photos taken at the induction ceremony!

19. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

THe montage was the same one they showed at the HOF Friday night ceremony, and the speeches by both Brian and Michelle were truncated versions of Friday night's as well. So in other words, the $100 bought you longer speeches (that were admittedly good), two drinks, food, hob-nobbing with skating royalty, a medal, and a chance to get a photo or autograph with Michelle.

20. ilovenyc

ilovenyc Member

While waiting for the video are there any photos from the event?? :)

21. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Ice Network has uploaded both the Friday night ceremony and the on-ice ceremony on the web-site for paying customers

22. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

LMAO that's exactly what I thought

23. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

24. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

And it only cost $100? That's a steal! :)

25. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

^^^
    If I had been able to attend, I would have considered it money well-spent!

26. AnnM

AnnM Active Member

It was probably the best $100 I've ever spent towards anything skating related. It was a very well organized event -- lots of great food, efficient bartenders, a good mix of seating & standing space. Best of all, of course, was the warmth and graciousness that Michelle extended to every single fan who wanted to take a picture, get something signed or share a story about how much she meant to them. She is such a class act.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  27. UMBS Go Blue

UMBS Go Blue KWEEN 2016! YES WE KWAN!

Exactly. It was such a beautiful, positive evening, and even without the Michelle factor would have been worth the $100 alone. That Michelle spent so much personal time with everyone was icing on the cake.

I even made sure to lobbychick Pat St. Peter the next day to thank her for such a wonderful event, to which she thanked me for attending.

28. Yazmeen

Yazmeen Well-Known Member

Oh good grief, she was obviously overcome with emotion, this was the arena where she had big breakthrough skate which was while she was with Frank and Lori, I don't think it was meant to be a slight. Of course, read anything you like into it...

I'm still waiting for the snarks (maybe not here or somewhere) that "she wore a gold blouse, how dare she, she never won Olympic gold!!!!!":rolleyes::p

Seriously beautiful ceremony all around.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  29. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Some posters just look for things to complain about!

30. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998