USFS announces TV broadcast extension with NBC & ISU media rights thru 2017-18

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

I have to say that the small amount of Europeans shown on Universal sports TV has been commentary free. Very nice.

2. SpeedySucks

SpeedySucks Member

With this new contract, there will be more skating on broadcast TV than there has been since the last ABC contract ended in 2004. NBC is committing to show at least 11 hours of USFSA events plus at least 20 hours of ISU events per year. Even when ABC had the rights, more coverage was airing on cable (ESPN and Lifetime) than on ABC itself. Yes, Universal Sports doesn't have the distribution on ESPN or NBC Sports Network, but at least a good amount of coverage will be available on NBC.

3. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

I just hope IN will hire better commentators than the ones they have now. But please, no Sarah Hughes!

4. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I can't believe how bad Sarah Hughes is. I think she was more articulate when she was 14.

But yay that there still will be skating on TV!!!

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  5. aliona22

aliona22 Member

same... i like the icenetwork interface better than tv teka and it's easier to use, but if i can't watch euros live i might stick with tv teka again next season. i loved watching russian nationals in hd too. tv teka also has everything automatically archived which is so much better than icenetwork waiting days to post archived streams.

6. yunasashafan

yunasashafan Member

Great news! Do we know whether the agreement includes this year's Worlds and 4CCs?

7. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

This link has been working for me all week for Euro's. http://html-bin.appspot.com/aghodG1sLWJpbnIMCxIEUGFnZRixoUMM

8. ross_hy

ross_hy Active Member

I can't comment on the online part since I don't get IceNetwork or Universal Sports, but for TV, I think this is the best we can hope for. Given that skating is back to being an "Olympic" sport, 11 hours of Nationals and Skate America coverage is pretty good. To me, any other international events would be an added bonus. When you think about it, only skiing among the winter sports get equal or better coverage. Even other Olympic sports such as gymnastics or track don't get this much coverage unless it's an Olympic year.

We might have had more coverage on ESPN, but let's face it, all ESPN is now is talking head shows, Sports Center, and the occasional game.

9. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

Now if we can only get NBC to stop pre-empting skating for basketball, football and informercials.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
  10. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

i was so worried about where i would see speed skating

kidding, i love IN. i log in on the tv and it is better than nbc. yes some of the commentators arent good but they are better than scott and sandra so win win.

11. Visaliakid

Visaliakid Well-Known Member

Yes, I begins with the 2013-2014 season starting with the first ISU Grand Prix Event this coming October.

12. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

So I guess the derth of skating available to me this year wasn't just a lack of interest; there literally WASN'T any. don't have UniSports and don't subscribe to IN, but before UniSports went to their exclusive deal I was able to view a lot of competitions there.

Anyway, what with the Olympic season coming up, I've been getting my ducks in order and was planning on possibly getting an IN subscription. Glad to hear that I'll be getting what I naturally assumed was there (live coverage of all the major events) instead of what y'all have actually gotten this season, which sounds like it would drive me mad. 8-o

13. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

The only one who bugged me this year was Michquadael Quadweiss. But even that was tolerable compared to the Gracie Gold show on NBC.

14. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I feel sorry this kid and all the hype being put on her. At 17 it's bound to get to her. On the other hand if she's come out of all this publicity stronger then before that's half the battle.

15. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

I recall that Sarah did get some kind of reporting job at a Summer Olympics (don't recall which one). She did do a couple of commentaries then disappeared. At the time, she was hoping for a career in broadcast journalism. I guess the networks weren't happy with her nasal voice and sloppy articulation.

Perhaps Sarah should consider a vocal coach. Tara Lipinski was a really bad clutterer (rushingherwordstogether) before she embarked on an acting career. Tara was no doubt told she needed a vocal coach and worked hard on improving her speech. She speaks quite well now.