USFS announces TV broadcast extension with NBC & ISU media rights thru 2017-18

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Press release: http://www.usfsa.org/Story.asp?id=48904&type=media
    (I was trying to write a descriptive thread title & was beaten to starting a thread by missing, shucks. ;))

2. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

I think this is a Yay!

3. Sylvia

So long, Universal Sports! ;)

4. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

Actually, if you read the article, apparently Universal sports is still getting some of the broadcasting for figure skating. It doesn't really identify who will get what.

5. Sylvia

You're right. The press release seems to indicate that Icenetwork will control the streaming rights, which is a good thing:

6. rfisher

I hope all the streaming is through IN. I'd be happy to drop US. Not only does it cost $15/month for the DirectTV sports package, the streaming has had a lot of technical problems this season. I'm willing to pay more for IN if need be.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Great news!!! :cheer2:

8. SpeedySucks

SpeedySucks Member

It appears that IceNetwork will have live online coverage of all ISU events, and Universal Sports and NBC will continue to handle the TV coverage. Going forward, we should be able to see everything on IceNetwork regardless of whether we have Universal Sports.

This is a great deal for all fans--having primetime coverage of Worlds on NBC is very important for the visibility of the sport.

9. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

The main thing is that IceNetwork isn't blocked from live coverage anymore. :cheer2:

If Universal Sports had at least given an option to subscribe for their online stream for those not on satellite (instead of trying to force customers to complain to Comcast etc) I'd be more charitable towards them. As it is they actively screwed most US fans this season.

10. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Great re IceNetwork getting the live coverage rights!

Now, if only NBC would consider adding Tanith Belbin and other competent up-and-coming figure skating commentators to their broadcast! I wish that Scott Hamilton and Tom Hammond would just retire already. I appreciate some of Sandra Bezic's passionate insights, but her sometimes pandering biases are off-putting. Time for some more refreshing, more insightful and more knowledgeable figure skating coverage.

If Johnny Weir doesn't attempt another comeback to eligible competition, he would also add some wit, excitement, energy and illumination to the broadcast coverage. But I suppose the bigwigs (especially Hamilton) would never allow for that possibility taking place at NBC. And honestly, we'll probably have to put up with Hamilton, Hammond and Bezic until the bitter end of figure skating's inglorious passage through a daunting transitional phase, which will certainly last well beyond this new NBC contract extension.

11. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

:cheer2: :cheer: yayayayayayay!!!!

12. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I wonder if IN is going to hike their prices again? It went up this year and we got less coverage...well, delayed coverage anyway. With them streaming worlds, euros and 4CC, is the price going to jump to $50 or $60?

13. BlueRidge

BlueRidge AYS's snark-sponge

WHO CARES as long as we get it. :rolleyes:

good lord some people can only look for the negative :rolleyes:

This is great news for people who want to watch online!!!

:cheer: :cheer: :cheer:

14. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

AGREED! If this happens, I will gladly remove US from my package...and save $$$. :)

15. shuilee

shuilee Well-Known Member

So does this start effectively immediately?

Will we get full coverage of 4CC and Worlds on icenetwork this year?

Will we get full coverage of all 6 GP events on icenetwork in fall of 2013? Or is this effective after 2014 olympics?

16. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Um, I wasn't being negative. :rolleyes: That's a valid question. I've been a subscriber since 2009 and I'd like to maintain my subscription. However, the price went up this year despite the delayed coverage. Now that they're back to live feeds again and will be adding more events...why is negative to ask how much it's going to cost?

17. aliona22

aliona22 Member

think that includes europeans? :shuffle:

18. rfisher

Universal sports is showing all the free skates for Europeans this year. This press release doesn't specify who'll show what.

19. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

It doesn't really look like NBC network TV will have that much more coverage of Skate America or Nationals -- "The extension with NBC guarantees a minimum of 11 broadcast hours of coverage annually, including two hours in primetime, from Skate America and the U.S. Figure Skating Championships through the conclusion of the 2018 U.S. Championships." It sounds like Universal Sports will still have a lot of the TV coverage. But the main difference will be the increase in icenetwork.com coverage. I will have to get set up to stream to my big TV. Probably easier on my SmartTV?

20. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

That's really disappointing that the majority of skating on TV will still be on Universal Sports. It would have been nice to at least get the coverage on NBC Sports Network since that channel is viewable in a lot more homes (without having to pay for a sports package). I was hoping that since NBCSN showed a great deal of Olympic Trials coverage in 2012, somehow figure skating would appear on that channel in the near future. :(

21. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

I wonder what will happen if the USFS lands Worlds during this contract however? Maybe additional TV coverage is in the rider in case that happens. I know they plan on bidding for the 2016 World Championships.

22. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I'm thrilled with IN having the GP back! :cheer:
    I'd love for them to show Europeans, too. That way I would only pay for IN instead of both IN & TVTeka.

23. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

YAY!!!!

24. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

So does this mean the GP is back on the Icenetwork?

25. PinkFeathers

PinkFeathers Active Member

Yes. GP, Worlds, 4CC... and select speed skating events (IDEK)

26. HisWeirness

HisWeirness FREE LYUBOV

Great news about IceNetwork getting the coverage back!!

27. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

Whew! I'm glad I didn't switch to Direct TV. I was really annoyed at Universal Sports this year. I really like Ice Network.

28. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

Now all these need are less commentators. :shuffle:

29. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

:kickass:
    Thank God. No more trying to find Russian streams that freeze all the time. :lol: So does this start next season?

30. judiz

judiz Well-Known Member

I'm happy I will be able to watch the GP on Icenetwork instead of looking for a link to a stream from Russia or another country. FIOS won't carry Universal Sports so that part of the deal doesn't effect me, would love to see Tanith, Johnny and Michelle doing the commentaries next season.