Useful technical videos

Discussion in 'Moves In The Field' started by jjane45, Jun 16, 2010.

1. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

Hi All,

I just got hold of a copy of the ISU tech videos that Aussie Willy recommended a while back and absolutely loved them. Very well produced video clips explaining and demonstrating jumps and spins, by real skaters or 3D figures.

The videos supplement lessons very well. I only wish there is more emphasis on single jumps (lol) and possibly including technical drills (intermediate steps) working toward each element, beyond strengthening exercises.

What are your experiences with instructional videos as a skater? :D

2. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

Glad you found them and found them useful. As a judge I found them very good. Helped pick out the things to look for with problems and what makes a good and bad jump.

But they are ISU stuff so they are not going to concentrate on singles.

As for other clips, there are some by skaters like Nancy Kerrigan on Youtube which explain jump technique quite well. She does a good job of explaining and presenting them.

3. Hedwig

Hedwig Rarely here anymore but I try to be better!

Oh, good idea for a thread!

As I have no rink at the moment I wonder if there are any good videos for off-ice training? I would especially love some that would explain jump technique which can be done on the floor.

Where did you get the ISU videos, jjane? And do you think that they would help a beginner like me who can only do a waltz jump yet?

4. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

5. rsk8d

rsk8d New Member

Visit www.sk8strong.com for off-ice strength and conditioning DVDs that are endorsed by the PSA.

6. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

Seemingly skatetape.com was the only place to carry them. I was entertained by the system requirements (Windows 95/98/2000/NT & XP, Pentium 700 Processor or higher, 64 MB RAM (128 MB or higher recommended), 16 Bit Colors, 800 x 600 monitor resolution, Video Card, CDROM, Speakers) but the overall production was great and worth every single penny I spent.

No off-ice jumps are mentioned. I do not think it's good for self-teaching, nor is it tailored for lower-level freestyle. That's exactly why I am still hoping to get other resources which break the elements down in more detail.

Thank you Doubletoe and Aussie Willy for the recommendations. I've seen the Michael Weiss videos before, but Nancy Kerrigan is new to me. I think they are better than most of the Expert Village videos on jumps, but things are still happening too fast IMO for beginners.

I am not hoping to replace actual lessons / coaching using videos, but I do like to see some slow-motion analysis of each stage and error corrections, just to provide other perspectives. ISU videos had some of it which I really enjoyed despite skating at a very low level :p

On the other hand, Georgie on youtube has a few really interesting instructional videos from basic skills up to double salchow.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2010
  7. Hedwig

Has anyone ever bought these DVDs who is not affiliated with the person who made these DVDs?
    I found a link to them before but everytime I read a comment about it (here or elsewhere) it always triggers my suspicion that this comes from someone who wants to sell them. (Like here where I was immediately send a code for a discount).

I would like to read a fair assessment of these but as I haven't found it anywhere on the net I thought I asked here where all the wise people of the Earth reside. ;)

8. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

I have the adult training DVD. This is not a follow-along workout. Think of it more as a library of exercises. They're very good, and Lauren's demonstrations and explanations are very clear. She presents a warmup, 3 different circuits, and a plyometric exercise. Equipment used includes a large fitness ball, therabands or resistance cords, hand weights, sliding discs, and a step, although there are many exercises that do not require equipment. The entire DVD runs around 20 minutes to watch. To use it, I need to write the exercises down on paper - what I will do, and how many sets. Then I can put music on, or TV or something, and do my workout. When I bought the DVD, I expected it to be a traditional follow-along workout video. That probably would have been a little easier to use, but I admit this allows for more customization. Since I don't necessarily need to see the demonstrations, I might have bought the book instead had I known - for me, the written format might have worked a little more easily as a reference. Lauren herself was very nice to work with, and is always willing to answer questions. I don't regret purchasing the DVD, even if it is a little different than I expected.

9. Hedwig

thanks, Clarice!

Are there any off-ice jumps explained? I would love to do some off-ice jump training as I have no ice at the moment but just no idea how to do it.

10. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

No, this is strictly a strength/conditioning type DVD. It's the kind of stuff you would do with a personal trainer, not a skating coach.

11. Hedwig

thanks!!

12. Doubletoe

Doubletoe Well-Known Member

There are also free adult moves-in-the-field videos online at USFSA.org (in the Adults section)

13. rsk8d

rsk8d New Member

I'm glad you like it Clarice. We debated whether or not to make it a follow-along workout. We chose not to because every person progresses each exercise at their own pace. If we had everyone doing 2 sets of 10 of a certain exercise at a low progression level, then those at a higher fitness level would not benefit from the program. With Sk8strong's instructional format, a skater can progress each exercise at their own pace, avoiding injury and getting the maximum benefit from the exercise program. Each exercise progression is layed out on paper and described in the DVD. The idea is for a skater to learn the exercise program by watching the DVD as much as they need to, then be able to do it independently. We also created ipod-format videos for those who want to bring the workout to the gym.

I will change the wording slightly in the description so it is completely clear that the clips are instructional and not a follow-along workout. Thanks for the comments!

14. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

I have Gus Lussi's Systematic Figure Skating tapes. They are pretty good, and he goes through the delayed axel technique which is really neat to watch. You can tell his focus is on developing really strong skills. He also gives some tips about spinning like "The Light house" and "The Boxer" and "The Killer" sit spin. Paul Wylie is a demo skater in the tapes, as is Tracy Damigella who was moderately successful in the 80s. They are pretty expensive and I don't know if they are on DVD, but worth it if you can locate copies on ebay. I wish he could've been my coach :(

I also have the Magic of Style tapes by Ann Margreth Frei. Her tapes are cool because they focus on some artsy-type moves and unusual stuff. She goes through how to do a butterfly, illusion and Biellmann spin, and also does a workout stretching routine at the end of the tape. Oh and lots of choreography ideas.

15. jjane45

jjane45 New Member

Thank you, will put them on wishlist! Really hope all the great tapes could be redistributed in more recent formats, and yeah they are pricey! :rolleyes:

Off topic, but Figure Skating: Championship Techniques (Sports Illustrated Winners Circle Books) is a great resource book to complement technical videos ;)

16. backspin

backspin Active Member

just got an email from PSA yesterday that the new MIF DVD is available. $40--not too bad.

17. leafygreens

I got them from Rainbo Sports a few years ago, but it looks like they're slowly phasing out their stock and don't carry all three editions of each series. The ones I have are starting to get grainy too...

18. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

The ones I should mention are the Dance DVDs that have the Dutch Waltz, Canasta Tango, etc on them. They are well produced but do explain the beginner dances very well. Plus they are performed by adult skaters which is good to see.

19. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

There are some pricey, but excellent, instructional videos at icoachskating.com

The site is open to anyone, not just coaches, but the subscription fee is prohibitive.
    ($30-44 / MONTH)

20. leafygreens

Just curious, what's stopping anyone from joining for a month and downloading all the videos and dropping their membership? I was easily able to download one of the trial videos :)

21. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

Trevor says the membership includes two new videos per week, so continuing your membership means access to new videos and materials.

22. jp123

jp123 New Member

Another good set of technical DVDs is by Charles Butler:
    http://www.skatebladeperfection.com/Charlie.htm

mostly edge work and turns, but a lot of information for the money.

ISU DVDs are helpful, but pricey for the small amount of info.

Lussi videos are good - wish they had finished the series!

icoachskating - love it! For less than the price of a half-hour lesson each month, I have access to tons of information. I especially like the drills and the videos on moves.

Note on PSA Moves DVD - This DVD only includes the NEW moves - not ALL the moves. Pretty pricey, considering it says that it does not necessarily show PASSING moves.

The new DVD, produced by the Professional Skaters Association and approved by the US Figure Skating, defines the correct steps, patterns, focuses, common errors, standards and expectations expected from skaters who are being tested for Moves in the Field. It is intended only as a guide for judges, coaches and skaters in order to develop a standard throughout the country.

Included in this video are only the moves that are either brand new or have been modified. Original moves that have gone without revision can be viewed on PSA's Moves in the Field Volume 2 DVD.

Special Note: It is important to realize that this is an instructional video. The elements in each field move on this video have both been demonstrated by above and below standard of passing and has been produced purely for demonstration purpose. Errors are allowed at each test level, which should not exclude a test from passing. The level and magnitude of the error must always be considered when evaluating a test as pass or retry.

JMHO,
    Jane