US World team: chances to medal and keep spots for next year

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Marco, Feb 1, 2011.

1. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Counting the seconds until judgejudy responds to this...:rofl:

2. jlai

jlai Title-less

Joubert is a tough competitor with good skating skills and a quad and I don't see the American men placing ahead of him.

3. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Depends on which Joubert shows up...

4. pinky166

Elene shouldn't be a threat to Alissa or Rachael but if they bomb and she skates pretty well she could end up higher in the standings (case in point 09 Worlds, Elene was 10th, Alissa 11th).

5. wonderlen

wonderlen New Member

Joubert just skated a wonderful LP at european and hit a quad and 8 triples. If he does a same performance + a clean SP, he will be contender for the podium. Lets face it, Brian normally do well at world championship. The only question is which Thomas will show up??

6. query5

query5 New Member

the young japanese team of tahakashi/tran and sui and han beat out our US in grand prix events in scores. and placements sui/han qualified for senior gp final. takahashi and tran qualified for alternates but since qualified in junior division they went and won the junior gp final.
    so i see both the young teams from japan and china beating out the the US Teams at worlds.
    so

7. TwizzlerS

TwizzlerS Well-Known Member

Y/C are currently 9th and E/L are 13th on the Seaon's Best List. Two of the pairs above them won't be at Worlds so that would put them 7th and 11th. To make 13 or less, 3 pairs above them would have to screw up. It seems to me, that the US will keep 2 pair teams.

8. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

Query- Who would you like in 5th spot for dance? ;)

I don't see C&P finishing lower than 6th again this year unless disaster strikes them but 9th seems awfully low for their technical ability...I actually see them going up a slot to be honest...into 5th ;)

9. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

Sui and Han are too young to compete at worlds.

10. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I will say that Y/C seemed to have upped the content in their LP at Nats, perhaps in an attempt to up their levels [SBS 3-2-2; different entrances to elements such as the DS], as well as having gone clean. So, it hasn't been graded internationally yet, but I'm interested to see how this small amount of revamping / cleaner performances effects their scores w/ intl. judges, and thereby gives them any 'movement' in the standings.

E/L as well - by changing their not-so-well-received SP in the Fall, which was holding back their overall scores on the GP circuit, and hitting it right off the bat at Nats, they are also upping the ante. Perhaps that SP change can shake things up for them, too. Keep in mind their flawed LP @ CoR w/ a UR and Fall by Amanda in the SBS 3toes still garnered close to 111 pts. Like Y/C, they were better at Nats and look to improve overall.

Under no illusion that we'll definitely get 3 spots, but I think the US has a very outside shot.

11. Nomad

Nomad Well-Known Member

They weren't at Nationals and they won't be at the Asian Winter Games. I'm beginning to doubt that they will be at World's.

12. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

The Zhangs arent on the entries list for 4CC . I think is safe to say they are out for the season. And China will lose the 3rd spot in Pairs too :(:(

13. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Where did you see an entries list?

14. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  15. olympic

I believe in the Zhangs thread, started by JudgeJudy in the Trash Can, someone posted a quote by Yao Bin that the Zhangs were definitely out for the season.

16. ssmith17

ssmith17 Member

Its 13 or better.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  17. lukeanthony

lukeanthony New Member

My prediction is Czisny will win the short program, then BOMB in the long program.

18. Maximillian

Maximillian You can't unfry things.

All things being equal which they never are, the only two skaters who should beat Czisny are Kim and Asada, though I would expect that a clean Ando would bump Alissa due to technical content, though Alissa SHOULD destroy Miki on several of the PC components, but won't. Really no other lady is in the same class as these skaters though I'm sure Kostner will be imposed upon us per usual.

19. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Just like she won the short program and then BOMBED at the Grand Prix Final.

Oh, wait...that didn't happen.

20. pinky166

Yeah actually, she's had more issues with her SHORT program this season than her FS, so I don't see that happening.

21. olympic

Mostly agree although I'm dying to know what Kim will do, debuting at Worlds and all. ETA: http://www.universalsports.com/news/article/newsid=516735.html Interview with Kim sounds positive anyway

What does Kostner being imposed on us mean?

22. geod2

geod2 New Member

I wondered about that, too.
    A replay of a time when her scores were often seemingly held up?
    I recall some complaints on the board about it..

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  23. geod2

geod2 New Member

I'm a bit of an Leonova uber so I can't be objective. I hope she finishes on the podium, but probably not.
    If I were being objective, to me Kostner is the sleeper. She had a pretty consistent season even with a knee injury and impaired jump arsenal.

Could it be similar to the lack of love from Rachael from some fans??
    But, obviously I hope she hits her peak at Worlds.
    The last impression she left in Int'l competition was GPF....ouch!

I agree.
    When I look at the combinations of placements needed to equal 13 for the 2 U.S. Ladies, and based on their season and current level of fitness (physically and emotionally)
    the odds of success look like about 80%. That's far easier to predict than a medal for either one.
    IMO the U.S will get the 3 spots back and possibly no Ladies medals....I think a lot of U.S. fans would be really happy with that outcome....
    Alissa and Rachael have a lot of momentum and should hit the ice with every bit of confidence.

-

Last edited: Feb 12, 2011
  24. olympic

I think Kostner w/ a 3t-3t and a 3l in the SP is a force to be reckoned with, and that will get her into the final group, but even w/o a 3f and 3z, she's still a headcase.

I for one would still be happy without a medal for US ladies, as long as they get 3 spots back for 2012.

I think Rachael is capable of putting the season behind her as she heads to Worlds and do what she does best- be consistent. If Czisny gets 4th behind all of Mao, YuNa and Miki, Rachael only needs 9th for 13 pts. Very doable

25. Maximillian

I mean that Kostner's PCS scores are usually inflated based on the sole fact that she skates with a lot of speed, never mind the fact that she has absolutely no security or upper body control, making her appear as if she is about to fall over at any minute. Add to that poor carriage (which could categorized under body control but I think distinctive in the case of basic stroking as she is just fundamentally "bent over" with slouched shoulders and terrible arms), marginal difficulty, historically pedestrian choreography (though I will admit that this season is an improvement) and a lack of technical difficulty (this season) and this is what I mean with Kostner "being imposed" upon us.

26. geod2

geod2 New Member

No need to hold back, now....tell us how you really feel! :)

BTW, I agree with you about Kostner, but judges don't seem to mind .... if forced to choose, I'd rather watch Flatt.

Maximillian and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Maximillian

Sorry but I reached my tipping point with Kostner's scores around 2008 Worlds and have been a "tad" vocal about them ever since.

28. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I like the men team, but I'm not really optimistic.
    Richard Dornbush is nothing more than a Joubert without quad, and even more unpolished.
    Ross Miner is a nice skater, but even at his best, I doubt he will be in the top 8.
    Ryan Bradley can do really well, but he also can bomb. But I hope he is working hard for those Worlds now that he is National champion.

We will see. ;)

29. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Give Dornbush time to grow. He's almost 8 years younger than Joubert so he could end up a much better all around skater than Joubert.

30. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

I hate Kostner's outstretched arms, as if she is reaching for a skyhook to help her stay on her feet when she jumps.