US version of Being Human series on Syfy

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by mpal2, Dec 28, 2010.

1. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

I just saw one of the spots advertising the US version of Being Human on the Syfy channel.

http://www.syfy.com/beinghuman/index.php

It mostly showed George talking so I can't comment on any impressions of the other characters. I will say that I don't find their vampire to be attractive at all. Annie may be ok. Their George sucks though. I am completely prepared to hate it but I fully admit to prejudice for the UK version.

It's supposed to start Jan 17. Anyone planning on watching it?
  2. znachki

znachki Active Member

I'll give it a try. I too, love the UK version, but I hate to dismiss it just because.

The one I'm actually excited about is Torchwood.
  3. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

There is going to be a US version of Torchwood? When will it start?

A little off topic but it sounds like Dr Who will have at least 1 episode in the US wild west which I'm looking forward to.
  4. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Spin Alissa Spin!!!

I love the UK version of Being Human. I plan on watching the US version. I hope it is as good.
  5. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Last I heard they'd abandoned the idea of a separate US version of Torchwood (Fox withdrew from the project), but that they might base some of the season 4 episodes in the US. That info might be out of date, though.

Seems pretty pointless to do a US version, IMO.

I'm trying to keep an open mind about a US Being Human, but I'm not optimistic either.
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  6. Amy L

Amy L Well-Known Member

The whole season of Torchwood (and any future seasons) will be filmed/based in Los Angeles. BBC is skint for money, so the US cable network Starz is picking up a lot of the cost of the show. That's the main reason why it's been moved. The show is keeping the original creator/head writer/show runner Russell T. Davies, so I don't think its tone will change much. He's also hired a lot of former Buffy and Angel writers and producers, which has probably gotten my hopes way up. AFAIK, Captain Jack, Gwen, Rhys and even PC Andy will all still be main characters.

Mekhi Pfifer and Bill Pullman have been cast as well, but I don't know what their parts will be. I'm trying to not be completely spoiled.
  7. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

Will Torchwood still be on BBC America if Starz is picking up the tab?
  8. Amy L

Amy L Well-Known Member

No, it will be aired on Starz.
  9. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

Damn. I don't get Starz. :(
  10. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I'm a bit heartened that they set the US version in Boston, rather than someplace like NYC. I feel like they're at least thinking it through; trying to set the series in a place that fits it well. We'll see.

The guy playing the werewolf is actually from southern NH, so he might be able to do a Boston-ish accent. For which, if his character is supposed to be from Mass., I will be forever grateful, because faked Boston accents tend to be god-awful. And for that *alone* - for casting an actor who might not make me cringe - I will watch.

Of course, it's being filmed in Canada, though. :rollseyes: But at least it's filmed in Montreal, which has a bit of the look of Boston.
  11. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Is that a pay channel? I don't get Starz.
  12. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

Yes. It's one of the paid movie channels. Although I think that might depend on your service provider and package purchased. I know that Direct TV will give you Encore channels with the HD package. I don't know about any others.
  13. znachki

znachki Active Member

Here's the deal with the new Torchwood:

It will be set after the events of Children of the Earth. It will take place on a "global scale". Captain Jack, Gwen, Rhys and Andy! will be back, along with a bunch of new cast members - including Mekhi Pfifer and Bill Pullman. It will be 10 episodes long, set to air summer of 2011.

It is a joint BBC/Starz production, with Russell Davies and Julie Gardner, the original producers, at the helm. Among the new writers - Jane Espenson (of Whedonverse and Battlestar Galactica) and John Shiban (Breaking Bad, Supernatural & The X-Files). I think Jane is writing 4 of the eps.

It will air on Starz in the US - but - and this is only going from their previous shows - it will probably be available sometime after airing on Netflix "Starz Play" for instant viewing.

When they set the writing staff I became officially excited, and someone mentioned that, based on comments RTS made in his book, he's learned that "adult" doesn't mean more sex, but more depth. So, I'm hoping for something along the lines of CotE.
  14. Artemis@BC

Hey, so long as Jack & Gwen are still on board, everything else is gravy as far as I'm concerned!

Speaking of Gwen, anyone else catch "Framed" on Masterpiece Theatre a couple of weeks ago? Eve Myles was in it, playing village schoolteacher. I just got around to watching it the other night, and it was very good.
  15. Amy L

Amy L Well-Known Member

Here is a very detailed report of the Torchwood TCA panel. Instead of Torchwood: New World, the official title is now "Torchwood: Miracle Day". From the description, it seems like the move to L.A. is explained when
    Bill Pullman's character Oswald fails to die from a lethal injection, and when it's obvious that no one on Earth is dying anymore, Gwen tracks down "patient zero" Oswald and has to call Jack back to Earth.
  16. pollyanna

pollyanna Don't blink

Sounds quite promising, esp since Captain Jack and Gwen will be back.

Nor do I, but for Torchwood, I would subscribe.

I'm conflicted about a US version of Being Human. US copies of British shows often lack the charm and humor of the original (see Life on Mars), and I will miss the adorable Russell Tovey. But I'll keep an open mind and at least give it a chance.
  17. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

:wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:

Stupid Syfy. The US Mitchell can read minds and erase memories. WTH ARE THEY TRYING TO TWILIGHT HIM?

:wall::wall::wall::wall::wall::wall:
  18. Artemis@BC

For Canadian viewers, this premiers tonight on Space. 10:00 Eastern / here on the left coast it's 7:00 with a repeat at 10:00.

I'm still skeptical that it will be anywhere near as good as the UK version, but I'll give it a whirl.
  19. Artemis@BC

Well, I watched. Still not nearly as good as the UK version, but actually quite a bit better than I thought it would be. I'd probably give it a 6.5 out of 10, and I'll watch at least one more episode.

The acting was fine (although I thought Mark Pellegrino/Bishop was too in-your-face evil, compared to Jason Watkins/Herrick in the UK version), but they could have used some better material to work with. And it really underscored the difference between UK and US TV: UK TV is more subtle, and treats the viewer's intelligence with more respect.

Small quibble: I liked that they started off with a couple of great indie songs -- "A Mirror Without" (Royal Wood) and "Weighty Ghost" (Wintersleep) -- but then they didn't carry that through, and played schlocky studio music the rest of the way. I wouldn't have noticed the schlock if they hadn't gotten my hopes up!

(BTW, technically I think this is more accurately called the "North American version" rather than the "US version." It's not just filmed in Montreal, it's made by a Canadian production company.)
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  20. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

I didn't watch, but curious if they avoided any "oops" French signs? :)
  21. znachki

znachki Active Member

Not too bad. Aiden and Josh are pretty good, although Josh doesn't hold a candle to George. So far, I don't care for Sally at all. Annie had a vunerable quality that Sally doesn't.

I hope that the fill-in nurse goes away. Nothing but annoying. Reminds me - in a bad way - of the Daisy character on Bones. I hope she isn't the Nina of the show.

Also - Artemis I agree with you about the Bishop character. Herrick was much more chilling.
  22. Artemis@BC

I didn't notice any French signs, but this particular production company would be used to looking for that kind of thing. I did specifically notice one Stop sign that said just Stop. It was very clean looking. ;)
  23. AliasJohnDoe

Is the she-werewolf part going to be George's sister in the US version instead of his girlfriend like in the UK version? I don't remember George having a sister in the UK version.
  24. AliasJohnDoe

25. znachki

znachki Active Member

I don't recall a sister either. It certainly seems like they are setting it up that way.
  26. jamesy

jamesy Well-Known Member

I saw ads for this and thought it looked interesting enough to give it a shot. I didn't even realize it was based from a BBC series. :eek: I like it and will watch again but I won't be able to play the "spot the differences from the original" game.
  27. Artemis@BC

Maybe, maybe not. The way they ended the episode, there's potentially time for either Sally to will herself to become solid enough to open the door, or for Aiden to wake up from his blood trance -- and therefore get to the hospital to intervene in time.

Having Josh attack & "wolf" his sister just seems ick. Plus if Sally or Aiden don't get there, Josh-as-werewolf is more likely to attack & kill the sister outright -- in an enclosed space like that, with no way out and no other source of food, werewolf eats human, no question.
  28. Artemis@BC

It's really not a fun game, esp. when the differences are usually not improvements. You're lucky that you don't have the UK series to compare it to, you can enjoy it at face value.
  29. AliasJohnDoe

So far:
    The character names are different.
    I think she-wolf will be Josh's sister instead of girlfriend.
    The house set-up is different. The stairs are to the sidewall instead of by the door.
    And I'm wondering if her ghost entry to the afterlife is in the house closet or at her grave.
  30. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

They have too many shots and scenes that mimic the original without achieving the quality of the original. They also made a huge mistake naming the vampire Aidan. It only reminded me that the actor from the real version of Being Human is named Aidan.

I'll watch a couple more to see if it improves but so far I think this is a very poor version of a good show.