US TV Season 2011-2012 - New, Renew, Cancel, Oh My!

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by GarrAarghHrumph, May 12, 2011.

1. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Hi, All:

We've just been through "pilot season", when the pilots are all filmed. Now we move into the Upfronts, where the networks announce their fall schedules. So now is the time when we normally start hearing about new shows for next season, as well as about cancellations and renewals.

So far we know that House has been renewed, but this could be its last year. Not due to ratings, but due to $$$. We'll have to see.

Fox has also renewed Family Guy, the Cleveland Show, the Simpsons, and American Dad. They have cancelled Breaking In, Traffic Light, Lie to Me, Human Target and Chicago Code.

The actual Upfronts presentations begin Monday, May 16th - NBC will start. The other networks follow that week.

2. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Fox has renewed Bones as well.

Last edited: May 12, 2011
  3. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

My mother and sister are depressed that Detroit 187 almost certainly won't be back.

LadyNit and (deleted member) like this.
  4. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Supposedly The Event has been canceled. Major boo! I didn't like it at first but it really found its footing and is a great show. Unfortunately too many people were turned off at the beginning like me but they didn't keep giving it another chance, I guess.

5. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

6. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:cheer2:

7. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Is it Thursday yet? The preview for this week's episode has me so excited!

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  8. BigB08822

I love that Breaking In is canceled, after only, what 6 episodes? It was just down right awful. Christian Slater should just try writing a memoir or something.

I see The Event is on the "not looking so good" list. At least it isn't a SURE thing. Maybe the critical acclaim the latter part of the season that the show has been getting will be enough to give it a few more shots. If V got another season then this should get 1 more.

9. GaPeach

GaPeach New Member

The Borgias (Showtime) have been picked up for another season. Two more episodes of Casare :swoon:until next season!

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  10. BaileyCatts

BaileyCatts Well-Known Member

:eek: NNNNNNOOOOO!!!!! That was my new favorite show!! :wuzrobbed It was funny! I liked all the quick sarcastic jokes. I like Christian Slater too.

11. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I will be extremely stoked if ABC takes another chance on V which had the most :kickass: finale ever earlier this spring. I'm also holding out hope for a few other shows including Happy Endings, Mr. Sunshine, and Off the Map, and even though the chances look pretty good for both, I'm still a little anxious about Hawaii Five O and Brothers & Sisters coming back next year.

I feel like Fox cancelled half their lineup this spring. My Twitter feed was going bonkers last night with all that news breaking around the same time. :eek:

12. Ares

Ares Guest

13. BigB08822

My bf and I became obsessed with this. Staying up way to late on way too many nights to watch as many as we could. Then we got about caught up, paid for a few on iTunes and recorded the remaining to watch later. Something about this past season just has not clicked for us. I think we have 2-3 more to watch on iTunes (or online but we prefer to watch together on our big TV) before we can begin going through our DVR but we just lost interest very suddenly. He has lost interest more than me but I don't know that I would have gotten much further. Maybe we will watch this summer when nothing good is on (other than Big Brother!).

14. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

:(

Things were really starting to heat up, setting things up very well for an explosive second season. Too bad that'll never happen...

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  15. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

ABC said recently they may run a reduced season of B&S eps next year but that they hadn't made a firm decision about that yet. I wouldn't be horribly upset to see it end (the season finale was surprisingly happy) but I do enjoy the cast and would love to see another season.

Did anyone else hear that Chuck may get another season?! That's great news! :cheer:

16. Ares

Ares Guest

Same here. This season I've been waiting a couple months then watching a group of episodes at once on the abc website. Lately, I just haven't been motivated to catch up on the second half of last season. Something just seems missing with Ojai and the Harper's out of the picture.

17. star_gazer11

star_gazer11 practising choreo

I hope so! :cheer: I thought the intersect angle would get old, but I think it's been managed well. I :rofl: so much when Chuck started humming Darth Vader to psych up Morgan - priceless.

18. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

"Smallville" says goodbye on Friday (5/13/11) after 10 years!!! And I've seen every episode.

"Smallville" has become the longest running science-fiction television series in the USA.

19. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Really ? WOW.
    With great shows like Stargate or BSG, I don't get smallville at all.

20. The Village Idiot

The Village Idiot Demon Barber

I absolutely love Allison Janney, but

I'm shocked it's still on the air. It was painful to try and watch the first 3-4 eps. I couldn't do it, despite Allison.

21. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

:lol: I feel like the only person in the States mourning the impending cancellation of "Outsourced". That show makes me PML. While aware that "racial insensitivities" are a real issue for many critics, my view is that any stereotyping is being done out of love and respect ... and I've actually learned a lot about Indian culture and people.

Sigh, goodbye Gupta, funniest guy on television. And, sigh, we'll never see the blockbuster American/Indian pairing of Todd and :glamor: Asha.

Consolation Emmy nomination for Diedrich Bader, please!

22. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

CBS has formally announced that they are renewing "Rules of Engagement".

NBC has placed a 13-episode order for Chuck for next season.

The buzz is that "The Event" will be cancelled, but that's not formal yet.

It sounds like CBS is trying to renew "Two and a Half Men". They're in casting for Sheen's replacement. They want to have that casting done by May 18th, their upfront presentation. TV Week said that they'd been looking at Hugh Grant, but talks fell through (sigh). They're looking for an actor at that level - movie star.

23. love skating

love skating Clueless American

I like Outsourced too. It got so much better after the first few awkward episodes. I'm looking forward to the wedding finale tonight.

I'm glad Chuck got picked up. I don't expect The Event to be renewed, but I'm holding out hope that maybe another channel might pick it up. I doubt it, but one can still hope. Ditto for V.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  24. NinjaTurtles

NinjaTurtles Teenage Mutant

You should watch the movie it's based on, IMO it's better :)

25. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

That's okay, I'll be the only one mourning Better With You. I think it's a cute show :shuffle:

26. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Bones, Castle, Modern Family, and Borgias - got all mine back! Thank goodness because I am still not adjusted from losing Lost, Numb3rs, Flash Forward, Tudors, and Sarah Connor Chronicles.

Then I can't imagine we will lose DWTS, Biggest Loser, or even the Bachelor (though it wouldn't kill me to lose the Biggest Loser or the Bachelor).

AGT, SYTYCD, and Bachelorette (with Bachelor Pad to follow) are starting up for the summer!

I love Allison Janney, but I could not even get through that first eppy of Mr. Sunshine. It was soooo bad.

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

I'll join you. I really like that one.

28. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I don't watch it regularly, but I like Outsourced :shuffle:

29. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

I enjoy the entire ABC sitcom lineup, minus The Middle. "Better With You" is my nice little show I watch while making dinner. A Better With You/Modern Family/Cougartown/Happy Endings/Mr. Sunshine lineup would make me quite pleased.

30. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I loved Better with You - it's very clever and sweet.

Community isn't on the list, I hope it's safe - it's one of my faves.