US TV schedule for Worlds

Discussion in 'TV ALERTS' started by olympic, Feb 15, 2013.

1. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if there will be any NBC broadcast of Worlds this year? Sorry if this is a facile question, but I'm trying to figure out whether to buy an IN subscription for Worlds or not .. Thx for any info.

rfisher and (deleted member) like this.
  2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

I saw an advertisement during NBC's U.S. Nationals coverage for a Worlds broadcast on NBC - it will be a taped highlights show, shown one week after Worlds, like last year. Someone posted in the Worlds forum in Kiss and Cry that it will be 2 hours on March 24.

Due to Universal Sports holding the live or first broadcast TV & streaming rights, IceNetwork will only have Worlds videos on demand - available on Sunday, March 24: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130207&content_id=41468336&vkey=ice_news

Universal Sports' TV schedule for Worlds isn't posted online yet, last I checked.

ETA: Fortunately, this will be the last year that Universal Sports will control the live streaming rights - see this GSD thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...on-with-NBC-amp-ISU-media-rights-thru-2017-18

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  3. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

Neither Universal Sports nor NBC have schedules for the week of Worlds up yet. Will post as soon as I see something, although Hisweirness will probably beat me to it.

4. A.H.Black

Still no schedule from NBC or Universal Sports. NBC has their general schedule posted for up to March 17th so either they are not planning anything until later or they haven't finalized their plans, or they are not planning to broadcast worlds. Universal sports has some live events post for April but nothing so far for skating and worlds.

5. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

They aren't planning to show Worlds until March 24th. That was posted somewhere else.

6. A.H.Black

Certainly possible with NBC. However. Universal Sports should be streaming live. "Should," being the operative word.

7. Sylvia

Saturday, March 23rd is the date of NBC's highlights show the week after Worlds - here's the promo: http://youtube.com/watch?v=Vu6vsw7-rFQ

Doesn't Universal Sports' figure skating schedules usually turn up online pretty close to the event? Patience! :)

8. A.H.Black

I'm just frustrated because Universal already has live streaming for running events on March 17th and April 15th listed. I wish they could be a bit more organized with skating.

9. momnatur

momnatur Member

I find Univer$al Sports to be totally contemptuous, and am THRILLED that IceNetwork has gotten the rights to show these important international events. I just hope that this was due to an uproar on the part of u.s. fingure skating fans everywhere. Allowing a 75 SECOND preview of anything is pretty much USELESS. AND they didn't even offer a subscription for those cable systems that won't bend to their overvalued co$t plan. When cable system$ and broadca$t entitie$ di$agree, the viewer pay$ the ultimate price.

I think all U.$. tv viewers should write to the FCC and make this type of mega-entitie$ stop their childi$h bickering and make their "users", the VIEWER their main concern. Without VIEWERS there are no broadcast entities and no need for cable systems!

10. Sylvia

Schedule should appear eventually here: http://universalsports.com/figure-skating/

11. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

Totally contemptuous?

Actually, considering the MAJOR (yes I mean to be shouting) problems I had with IceNetwork several years ago (and 2 months to get my $$ back from them - long story), I sure hope they've gotten their act together if I'm going to be stuck with them next season. Other than a few minor freezes with Universal Sports, I have had no problem with them.

12. AJ Skatefan

AJ Skatefan Well-Known Member

But is sucks for people who can't get Universal Sports. At least Ice Network is available to anyone who wants to pay for it. And I've had very few problems with IN. A freeze here and there but it seems so get better each year.

13. momnatur

momnatur Member

Sassafras, how are you able to watch Universal Sports online? Does your cable/satelite company carry them? If so, then why are you not watching things that way.

Don't get me wrong, IceNetwork can be TOTALLY exhasperating at times. And, on principle alone, I do not like to pay for internet feeds. But like many of us, I was between a rock and a virtual space, with figure skating events going on without my ability to see them, read about them or even watch the standings update live. I do hope that next year will be much better, but, I am willing to crawl, in order to walk.

[HR][/HR]
    When cable system$ and broadca$t entitie$ di$agree, the viewer pay$ the ultimate price.
    I think all U.$. tv viewers should write to the FCC and make this type of mega-entitie$ stop their childi$h bickering and make their "users", the VIEWER their main concern. Without VIEWERS there are no broadcast entities and no need for cable systems!

14. A.H.Black

Universal offers both online streaming and TV coverage. The online streaming is usually live while TV coverage is often delayed. Also, the streaming coverage is usually longer.

Here is the Universal Sports schedule. http://universalsports.com/2013/02/28/2013-world-figure-skating-championships-viewers-guide/

Here's the NBC schedule

SATURDAY, MARCH 23, 2013

Noon – 2 p.m.

WORLD FIGURE SKATING CHAMPIONSHIPS (taped)

Commentators: Terry Gannon, Scott Hamilton, Andrea Joyce

Site: Ontario, Canada

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  15. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Damnit why can't Universal Sport sell Worlds streaming in some kind of pay-per-view arrangement?

At this stage it looks like there's no way of actually watching Worlds live this year. :(

16. olympic

I was on the Universal Sports website. In Summation - in the US, one must be subscribed to a particular cable/satellite provider to access Universal Sports online to watch Worlds? In other words, one cannot just go online and directly buy a Universal sports package to watch Worlds?

I have AT&T U-Verse, which doesn't offer Universal Sports.

Thus, one's only hope in the US is to 1) wait for the lame NBC, 2-hour, 1-week late highlight reel or 2) find a stream online from another country as it happens?

17. Sylvia

Yes and yes. It's been like this all season, starting with the Grand Prix events after Skate America, and fans in the US without access to Universal Sports have been complaining all season, too.

If you have a TVTeka subscription for Russian TV, Worlds will be shown live on two channels. Eurosport is also broadcasting live - check out the "Eurosport coverage" thread for Worlds broadcast times.

ETA: I should probably start a separate thread for Worlds live and un-geoblocked streaming coverage here in TV Alerts for those who don't have access the 2013 Worlds forum in Kiss and Cry where this information is posted.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  18. olympic

Sylvia, you would be doing a great favor for many people, I think, and if you come across any pay per view info for later viewing (because of work, I can't watch live) that would be incredible... :)

ETA - I see Icenetwork will offer Worlds PPV after the fact?

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  19. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

I just saw this message from DirecTV. Some awesome news for those of us who have DirecTV but can't afford to purchase the Sports Pack in order to watch Universal Sports. DirecTV is giving a free trial period from 3/10 through 3/19 of Universal Sports on channel 625.

20. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

Thank you for this update--this is great news!!! :)

Simone411 and (deleted member) like this.
  21. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Does anyone know if Russian TVTeka will stream Worlds live? If so, on what channel?

22. Sylvia

See this post in the 2013 Worlds forum: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...ing-schedule&p=3859739&viewfull=1#post3859739

Yes, Icenetwork's Season Pass subscribers can watch Four Continents and Worlds on demand (not live). Worlds videos will be available on Sunday, March 24.

I'll start a new 2013 Worlds un-geoblocked viewing options thread by Tuesday.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2013
  23. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

You are so welcome! I just finished "auto tuning" all the skating which starts tomorrow at 11 a.m. (central) beginning with the Pairs Short. I'm so glad that US gave us this free trial period! :) I guess I should say that DirecTV gave us the free trial period. :lol:

24. BreakfastClub

BreakfastClub Active Member

For those that use their provider accounts to stream the Universal Sports coverage - especially DirecTV folks - do you authenticate successfully through the US website? Have you had any problems?

When I use "sign in with provider" and put in the DirecTV account email/pw combo, the stupid US site just boots me back to the logged out state with no feedback. I know the account is fine, I can log into the DTV website, ipad and iphone apps with it, view the account info, view the lineup and services (which clearly confirm it has the sports pack), control the receivers and DVRs.

The FAQ says you need to set up an account with US. But I see no place to do that.

WTF? Anyone know?

25. A.H.Black

I'm with DISH. I haven't had any problems. There is a customer service link at the bottom of The Universal Sports home page. That page includes a phone number. You might try that.

26. BreakfastClub

BreakfastClub Active Member

It's not my DirecTV account - it's been very generously provided to me. So I can't contact them... the reason why I'm asking here for others' input.... :shuffle:

27. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Well, I just signed in using my e-mail address and password with DirecTV on the US website without a problem. Apparently even though I don't have the Sports Pack, it's still allowing me to sign in because of the free trial period. So that means I can watch on TV tomorrow and the live streaming on the Universal Sports website. :)

28. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

(repeating from the Worlds forum in Premium area)

I was lucky enough to see the competition live, as a member of a tour group. However, I write the following on behalf of family and friends who were not so lucky:

Damn NBC for not airing ANY of the Worlds live...the year before their beloved Olympics that they trumpet so loudly. (I realize, Lindsey Vohn is not a figure skater.) Also, feck UnivSports for trying to force Americans to hang an ugly dish from their homes and pay through the nose to watch this -- even to be able to watch on UnivSp online. Thanks goodness that US fans who couldn't travel to Canada and didn't want to buy into the ridiculous DirectTV scheme found 'other avenues' (Latvia, Russia, etc.). For every greedy trick, there is ingenuity to get around it. Thanks to all of you who helped those in need; heck, my husband has now bought a box of "Wellwoman" to show his gratitude.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  29. momnatur

momnatur Member

Here, Here!!!

And, of course, you realize that Universal Sports is part of the NBC Universal umbrella. So they are all interconnected. This is the stuff I've been screaming about for some time now. I'm glad that the USFSA allowed Ice Network the ability to circumnavigate this black hole and put the fan back into skating.

And, again, thank you so much to Laftian TV who was so kind as to not geo-block their extraordinary wall-to-wall coverage of this international event.

One additional FECK to the president of the ISU for skipping Worlds in favor of some other event. If fanship is waining, all we have to do is go to the top of the pecking order to see how much respect HE shows.

And, of course, we won't even get into the scoring! I've ranted enough in this post. After all, we DID SEE some SPECTACULAR SKATING among the mix!

[HR][/HR]
    When cable system$ and broadca$t entitie$ di$agree, the viewer pay$ the ultimate price.
    I think all U.$. tv viewers should write to the FCC and make this type of mega-entitie$ stop their childi$h bickering and make their "users", we VIEWERS, their main concern. Without VIEWERS there are no broadcast entities and no need for cable systems!

30. kittyjake5

kittyjake5 Well-Known Member

Bumping this thread up. Don't forget NBC will be airing 2 hours of Worlds coverage today (3/23) at 12:00-2:00PM Eastern Standard Time.

I hope we get to see actual skating and not a whole lot of fluff. lol