US train travel tipping question

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by ballettmaus, Mar 12, 2012.

1. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

I'm going from Chicago to Charlottesville by train and have a roomette. It's my first US train travel and I was wondering if I tip the steward and if so, do I tip him after he made the bed, brought food or whatever or do I leave a tip in the roomette like in a hotel room?

2. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

Tip him at your final destination. He'll come around to see if you need help with your bags - I find that's the best time to give it to him. Have fun!

3. ballettmaus

4. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Here's the advice from a train travel advice site:

Although the site basically says any option is OK (some prefer to "tip" up front to encourage extra service during the trip and others do it daily).

5. ballettmaus

Thanks for the link. It's good to have an idea about the amount to tip as well!

6. Celine82

Celine82 Well-Known Member

Charlottesville!! :cheer2:

Have a safe trip!

7. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

It depends on the length of my trip and how much service I recieved (I handle my own bags, eat in the dining car instead of having a meal in my room--I very much recommend this as you meet interesting people this way.) Also, tip the waitstaff in the dining car.

For long hauls, btw, once you go first class you'll never go back. I had to do it on the Lake Shore once and at Chicago I begged and pleaded for an upgrade for the return until they managed to find a roomette where someone was getting off early in the night. Even the few hours in coach was absolute hell. Never, ever, again. The LSL is so crowded these days, to go to New York for my cruise this summer I'm going via DC instead and taking the regional service to New York. (It's also cheaper that way.)