US Stars on Ice tour (Feb. 18-April 9, 2011): articles, reports, photos, etc.

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Feb 19, 2011.

1. joemauerlover

joemauerlover New Member

2. inthemiddle

inthemiddle Active Member

Thank you joemauerlover. I love you detailed description of the show and your videos. I saw the show in Anaheim on the beginning of the tour. Some details seem little different in your video which is great that they still working on it to make it better. I loved the show and it is nice to see it again on your video. I already subscribed to your you tube channel :)
    Please save your videos somewhere else as many FSU members complained that their private skating videos were removed from youtube and they didn't have a backup. I'll hate if that will happen to you too.
  3. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

4. christine_daae

christine_daae New Member

5. joemauerlover

joemauerlover New Member

Thanks for the tip about the videos, I plan to save them! Great pics christine_daae (love POTO!) We were sitting to your right, you got some great pics! :)
  6. ChrisYandek

ChrisYandek New Member

7. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

jamie tweeted that her back is bothering her (spasams) so they did not skate tonight?
  8. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Meryl Davis mentioned in Thursday's Detroit Free Press article (linked in this post) that she and Charlie White will not be skating in the final 6 shows of the SOI tour in order to focus on training for Worlds. Those stops are:
    4/1 Uniondale, NY
    4/2 East Rutherford, NJ
    4/3 Cleveland, OH
    4/7 Rochester, NY
    4/8 Portland, ME
    4/9 Bridgeport, CT
  9. Charlini

Charlini New Member

I went to this show last night. Jamie & David only skated in the group numbers and I had wondered why. My personal favs for the night were Joannie Rochette, Tanith & Ben and Sasha.
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Calico

Calico New Member

I attended the Pittsburgh show last night, the first Stars on Ice in our new Consol Engergy Center. The show went well. Jamie and David did perform their solo numbers so her back must be improving. I was lucky enough to shake Ben Agosto's hand at the end.
  11. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

12. Sylvia

Here's a fun Q&A with Kurt Browning that was published today in the Cleveland Plain Dealer: http://www.cleveland.com/pdq/index.ssf/2011/03/kurt_browning_glides_into_the.html
    Notable excerpt:
  13. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

The Cincinnati SOI show was earlier today and I had a total blast. I hadn't read too much about the show because I like being a little surprised by it and I'm very glad for that now. I thought the show was awesome, one of the best shows they've had in several years. :) There were no solo numbers that I didn't like (I even liked Michael Weiss and I am SO not a fan, LOL), the group numbers were really great, and the music choices were all fun too. The cast looked like they were having a blast and that made it fun for the fans. We also had a show with NO FALLS. There were a few doubled jumps here or there but NO falls! :respec: There was a pretty large crowd there tonight too and I LOVED seeing that because Cincy usually doesn't get big crowds. The show here is usually on some random weeknight like a Tuesday or Thursday so finally having one on the weekend was wonderful. It's also pring break for most of the schools this week so that could have helped with attendance too. Please keep the show on the weekend SOI!!! :cheer:

My fave numbers: Kurt's "Steppin' Out" with the voice over (HILARIOUS), both of Joannie's numbers (the Burlesque one was really cute), Jamie & Dave's numbers (Scream went over VERY well!), Tanith & Ben's "Use Somebody" (they haven't missed a beat since retiring from amateur skating), and Todd's "That's Life" (he hammed it up a bit for us). I took a ton of pictures but I won't be able to post them until tomorrow night. I took way too many pics again but what else is new?! ;)

BTW-I loved the group numbers too and we got an extra treat in the Act 1 finale number when Dave split a hole in his pants! :lol: I have no clue when it happened but about halfway through the number, maybe not even that far, we noticed that Jamie was cracking up as she was posing with David during one part of it and we saw her pointing at something. My mom finally figured out that she was laughing because he had about an eight inch hole on the back area of his pants! :eek: When they starting skating again, Dave was trying to use his hand to cover up the hole (which made it even funnier) and then the rest of the audience starting cracking up because they also figured out what was going on which made Jamie and the cast start laughing even harder! It was hilarious. I have no idea how they all got through the rest of the number and eventually, Dave gave up trying to hide the hole and I guess he had a nice breeze going down there for the rest of it, LOL :rofl: Funniest moment I've had during a show in a long time and I haven't looked yet but I REALLY hope I got some funny pictures of them in that number! :p :lol:
  14. WildRose

WildRose Well-Known Member

Jamie posted a picture of David's torn jeans on Twitter :lol: I can see why the cast & audience were cracking up :rofl:
    http://yfrog.com/h77l8qyj

Thanks for the review!
  15. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

16. marysy

marysy Member

Hi everyone,

I'm planning on going to the SOI shows in E. Rutherford NJ and in Long Island this weekend. I haven't actually bought tickets yet and was thinking about getting a fan membership to go to a meet and greet. Is it too late to get a membership? I wasn't sure if the meet and greet passes have to be mailed sometime before the show or if they could be picked up at the arena the day of. (As an aside, do you think the fan membership is worth it?) Also, do you have to buy your tickets while logged in as a fan club member? Would I still be eligible for a AAA discount as a member?

Also, how early would one need to arrive at the rink for the meet and greet?

Thanks in advance for any info!

Mary
  17. Chele615

Chele615 Let's go Anacode!!!

If you are a Fan Club member and register for a Meet & Greet, you will receive an email stating where and when to meet for the meet and greet. I have never done the meet and greet, but did see a group meeting for it when I was with a friend picking up tickets at the box office back in Boston. That was around 4:30ish (for a 7:30 show).

You need to already have a ticket in hand in order to go to the meet and greet because one of the arena staff will scan your ticket when you go in. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to use the AAA discount to buy a ticket. You can pick the ticket up at the box office when you pick up the fan club information. I know that the NY/NJ ones were still open as of this past Monday when I registered for the Portland, ME one, but you might want to sign up ASAP because I am pretty sure that they close a couple days early.

I have a Fan Club membership, but have really only used it to buy the premium seating. This will be the first year that I will do the Meet and Greet part of the membership. The price is definitely steep for what small perks you do receive. Also, I don't like how you aren't able to bring a friend with you who is not also a fan club member to the meet and greet. If you are buying 2 fan club tickets for the show, then IMO you should be eligible for 2 meet and greet passes.
  18. marysy

marysy Member

Thanks very much, Chele615! I did end up signing up for a meet and greet and just received the email confirmation saying to show up at the arena at 4:45 for a 7:30 show. Looking forward to seeing the show!
  19. Sylvia

Any reports from the NJ SOI show last night? :)
  20. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I went last night and really enjoyed it. Katia had a fall, but that was the only one for the night. She looks amazing, though.

Joannie had some problem with a skate lace in the finale. The skaters were all lined up at one end and she was bending down fixing her lace and Kurt kept telling her to hurry up. At one point in the finale, Todd must have said something to Kurt, because when he skated by Kurt was laughing out loud.

I particularly liked the quiet ensemble numbers - On Golden Pond and the picnic in the park. Loved the crowd reaction when Kurt pops the red balloon.

The "alumni" in the crowd were Lucinda Ruh and Kyoko (they mentioned she'd be skating with them next weekend).

Jamie and David were still very impressive. I wasn't sure if it would seem odd to see them skating together, but they were fantastic.

ETA: I forgot to mention how much I love seeing Ben in the group numbers. He's always giving 110% and seems to be doing just a little bit more. Even when he's just standing around with some other skaters while someone does a highlight move, he's always interacting with the audience or cheering for one of the other skaters.
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
    Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  21. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

I went last night too. I enjoyed the show very much, but was a bit disappointed with the jump repertoire of skaters who are still technically eligible. Sasha's first number was jumpless, and her second included only a 2S and a 3T. Joannie did two 2As in her first number and a 3T and 2S in her second. Evan, with a 3Z and 3F, had the most technical difficulty.

Sale and Pelletier did some amazing tricks, but David did all their numbers with a frozen, blank face. The only time I saw him smile was during the group numbers when he interacted with skaters other than Jamie. My friend commented "there is NO chemistry there". I would have preferred to see Ina and Zimmermann, who are appearing with SOI next week.

Kurt Browning was, as always, superb, no matter whether he was clowning it up or skating seriously.

Sasha has a cute new haircut, short and curly. It really suits her. She was very entertaining in both her numbers, and I really enjoyed her performances. OTOH, Katya Gordeeva and Joannie Rochette were lovely, but IMO they didn't quite match Sasha's projection and audience connection (and I've never been a big Sasha fan).

Belbin and Agosto were a standout. They were engaging not only in their own numbers, but also as part of the ensemble.

I also enjoyed Michael Weiss and Todd Eldredge, especially Todd, who seems to have developed a true knack for comedy.

Evan skated very well, but I hated his closing number --- the destestable "Roxanne". Also, even when skating in the group numbers, he seemed less engaged with the group than any of the other cast members.

All in all, an enjoyable evening.
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  22. RD

RD Well-Known Member

??!!!! You think so?? Wow...
  23. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Joannie was graceful and skated very well, but she doesn't have the experience yet to fully project to the audience. Katya is lovely, but at times she seems to be concentrating on executing the harder moves more than on anything else.

Sasha was fully engaged in her performance, and she brought the audience into it by smiling, winking and otherwise playing directly to the crowd. That was true not only during her solos, but also in all the group numbers.
  24. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Interesting. I agree with you to an extent about Rochette. I really liked Gordeeva though. Definitely not one of the "outgoing" skaters but she skated like a pro, I thought.

Especially curious that you said that about Cohen. Perhaps she was really feeling it that day, or perhaps we just had different experiences with the same performer- I always thought audience connection was one of Cohen's weaknesses. Doesn't translate to not being a crowd-pleaser, of course, but IMHO there's a fine difference between impressing the audience and having the audience in the palm of your hand. I do agree about the group numbers though- and I think I mentioned it during my review as well. She does engage herself very well in the group and cast numbers.
  25. mmscfdcsu

mmscfdcsu Skating Pairs with Drew

I put off the decision to attend until just about the last minute. As you know from my whiney posts in the past, I had had really bad experiences two years in a row where the music was so bad that I left in physical pain. :( But, I love skating and I heard that the music had improved a bit in the last couple of years or so. So...I ended up buying a great aisle seat from a scalper...for $20.00. And...I had a good time. The 500 count bottle of aspirin that I purchased on my way to the show, just in case because I was running low on aspirin, is still unopened.

Scott was there announcing some and interacting lots with Kurt. Scott also confirmed that the musical guest for his Cleveland Clinic fundraiser on November 5th will be Sheryl Crow. He also got Kurt to commit to the date.

I found the show enjoyable overall. I don't enjoy the tv screen stuff and could certainly stand to lose that. Though the music was not my favorite, at least there was much variety. And, even the elevator music at least had some actual music involved which led to much improved choreography. Lots more actual skating this year. Edges, footwork, and even a few moments of beauty. There were still a couple of numbers that just involved skaters performing tricks to noise, rather than skating, but those numbers were in the minority.

I enjoyed the On Golden Pond group number. Not anything fancy. Just really created a beautiful, brief moment on the ice. I also enjoyed Even's last number, whatever the heck that was. Sasha did fine other than a ball on the salchow.
  26. JeffClair1979

JeffClair1979 Active Member

Did anyone happen to catch the Rochester show last night? I wanted to go SOOO badly but couldn't get out of my play rehearsal...
  27. ribbon

ribbon Member

I went to Rochester! I haven't been in a few years (mostly b/c they've skipped Rochester lately) so it was nice to see live skating again. First time seeing Joannie - what a beautiful skater. She's very relaxing to watch. Katia and Sasha are among my favorites, so of course, I really enjoyed them too. Katia always impresses me with the most basic skating moves - she floats, is fast as can be, and if I could just do crossovers like her I'd be satisfied for life.

The last time I saw Evan he was quite a bit younger, so it was cool to see how much more he engages with the audience now - obviously, I could get a hint of this from TV, but live really brings it out. He got the biggest applause, especially from the tweens.

Kurt had the live singer which was special. Am I the only one who doesn't fully appreciate his talking number? I didn't find it terribly funny or original - give me another "Nyah" Kurt and I'll be your biggest fangirl.

Belbin and Agosto were fabulous, and Ina and Zimmerman's tricks are unbelievable. Michael and Todd did well too, so no complaints re: the skating.

I did think the videos could be excessive, and slow down the show. I realize it gives the skaters time to change, and gives an overview of the history of the tour, but I found it dull.

Arena wise: the middle sections were full, but there were a lot of empty seats which makes me worry they will skip Rochester again. It's a shame since it's a treat to see live skating and the ones who went were very happy and supportive of all the skaters.
  28. sas

sas New Member

Did they do their funny gags with eachother for the last show or in Portland ME?
  29. skamper23

skamper23 New Member

Patiently waiting for reports from Bridgeport :lol:
  30. Chele615

Chele615 Let's go Anacode!!!

There weren't that many pranks....at least not to the extent that they've had them in the past. During Kurt's first number (the voiceover one), the hat that he is thrown had a fake flower on it. During the Act 1 opener, all the girls came running out after the knock when Ben, John, and Michael come out. The boys were throwing ice balls at each other throughout and one of them beaned Jo at one point. She was wiping the wet off for part of the number. During Tanith and Ben's intro to Sasha's Mein Herr number, Ben went off (in his German accent) about how anyone that knew him from when he was little knew that he had a flair for the theatric....all while still in character. The speeches at the end seemed kind of short considering it is the 25th anniversary and the alumnus at this show was Leann Miller, which was kind of funny because her partner was the alumnus the night before in Portland.

Also, not a prank...but in Portland, Sasha somehow managed to slice the balloon away from the string during the clown transition. Thankfully, Todd caught it before it floated away and they were all looking at each other like "What do we do now?" They didn't miss a beat though and Sasha did her part just holding it against her chest while skating until Kurt popped it.

Back to Bridgeport......This one wasn't really a prank...but it was really nice! After the clown transition into Katia's second number, Todd and Kurt pushed the box over to the tunnel, but sat on it right at the entrance to the tunnel watching Katia skate her program.
  31. vivika1982

vivika1982 Well-Known Member

Thank you :)

Few more videos from the tour
    Group performance-"On Golden Pond"- April 1, 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykxMo116yfA
    Todd Eldredge - "That's Life"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pw-tcyPeSCc
    Evan Lysacek - El Tango de Roxane/in Portland/
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKTSFHIAAb4

March 20/2011- in Orlando
    Opening 1-"On Golden Pond"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndGdMhaoN68
    Opening 2-"I like it"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfS-9M5CEnE
    Evan Lysacek “The Climb”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nysOyZTr3-U
    Kurt Browning-"Downstream" by Supertramp
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf9lsxLkRTM
    Sasha Cohen-”Mein Her”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nKXyc0FiGKc
    Jamie SalĂ© and David Pelletier “ Scream “
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qHnApLbW4E
    Finale -”Simply the Best”
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c95R-H27Gdc
  32. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the news about Bridgeport and the video links! :encore:
  33. JeffClair1979

JeffClair1979 Active Member

Thanks for the review! Now I'm REALLY sad I couldn't go!
  34. FSWer

FSWer New Member

Gee,I wish I could have gone. I am still really pissed that they denyed Hartford,CT. I wonder if there is an e-mail I can write to to complain, unomously (sorry,I know that's spelled wong) of course.