US Stars on Ice tour (Feb. 18-April 9, 2011): articles, reports, photos, etc.

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

So the U.S. tour kicked off in San Jose, Calif. last night. Did anyone go?

ETA link to official site: http://www.starsonice.com/

U.S. Tour schedule:

February 2011
    2/18 San Jose, CA
    2/19 San Diego, CA
    2/20 Anaheim, CA
    2/25 Seattle, WA
    2/26 Portland, OR
    2/27 Wenatchee, WA

March 2011
    3/3 Providence, RI
    3/4 Boston, MA
    3/6 Washington, DC
    3/12 Chicago, IL
    3/13 St. Paul, MN
    3/18 Sunrise, FL
    3/19 Fort Myers, FL
    3/20 Orlando, FL
    3/24 Binghamton, NY
    3/25 Hershey, PA
    3/26 Pittsburgh, PA
    3/27 Cincinnati, OH

April 2011
    4/1 Uniondale, NY
    4/2 East Rutherford, NJ
    4/3 Cleveland, OH
    4/7 Rochester, NY
    4/8 Portland, ME
    4/9 Bridgeport, CT

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  2. RD

RD Well-Known Member

Going to the DC show, for the 3rd straight year.

3. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Hershey & North Jersey for us! We were very fortunate to see the Lake Placid debut show over Thanksgiving Weekend. Having relatives who live in the Capital District of NY State (Albany) has its perks! :)

4. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

I'll most likely be going to the Anaheim show tomorrow, though there is supposed to be a big rainstorm so driving there is going to suck...

5. MikiAndoFan#1

MikiAndoFan#1 Well-Known Member

That's where I used to live! If I still lived in Providence, I probably would have an opportunity to go to the show. :wuzrobbed

6. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

I'm sad they won't be anywhere near detroit.

7. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I went yesterday to the San Jose show and will post impressions a bit later when I have access to a computer--posting with my phone.

8. pvkirby

pvkirby Member

I went to the show last night in San Jose. I don't usually go to these shows as I enjoy competition much more. I took a 9 year old boy and his mother and they had never seen live skating before this event. They had fun. I mainly went because I was sent a reduced price seats offer after I purchased my US National all event for next year.

There was some good skating. However, they were celebrating the 25th anniversary and the screens that showed these clips were small an in the four corners of the arena. I was sitting in the end section about 6th row and it was difficult to see the screen. I loved seeing Katia Godeeva skate again. She is beautiful. I did not like her music to her first number but enjoyed the second number.

There were two falls. Sasha fell on her double axel in her program from Cabaret and Kurt took a very hard fall in his second number near the end of the program. The lower bowl of arena was pretty filled and they had curtained off the upper.

Jamie Sale and David Pelletier had amazing synchronicity in their skating. I liked the second number of Belbin and Agosto.

I can say that I enjoy watching shows live than on TV.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  9. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

First of all, I was blown away by the amazing skating of Katia Gordeeva. I would say she is the best skater I've ever seen. Her stroking is so smooth and effortless and powerful, I could just watch her stroke around the ice.

She is now a blonde but I prefer her natural hair color on her. She is beautiful and at 39 is IMO the most beautiful woman in the show, even more so than Tanith.

Everyone is in amazing shape. Sasha has gained the much needed weight since 2020 Nationals and is looking healthy. She did fall on the double axel during her Cabaret program complete with bowler hat and a garter belt. She had a number in the first half skating in a yellow dress with sparkles and brought the house down. It was great to see her do the elements that made her famous, the spiral, the Charlotte and the Russian split, and that amazing layback spin.

I was really impressed with the newly divorced Sale and Pelletier--they are amazingly athletic and entertaining to watch. Jamie did a hand stand on David's arm right in front of me--amazing strength from both.

Ben and Tanith were fun--they did a saloon number with everyone involved. Girls wore those 50s full skirts and pony tails and Tanith showed up in a huge platinum blonde wig and started slithering around on the piano.

The star of the show was Kurt Browning--so much charisma. Oh and Weiss and Eldridge were there too, as well as the Mike Pike and generic male ballad skating.

10. Coco

Coco Well-Known Member

The Chicago show is on a Saturday. It would be a haul, but you could take amtrak and priceline a hotel, maybe even see some sights in Chicago. Or just drive so long as you had extra drivers. 8 hours driving + a show would be too much for me in one day.

11. skatepixie

skatepixie Well-Known Member

Was Evan in San Jose? Just wondering, since he would have been in New York the night before.

12. TalentedButHumble

TalentedButHumble Well-Known Member

13. Theatregirl1122

Theatregirl1122 Well-Known Member

:lol: I'm a grad student.

14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Yup, lots of Evan, all Evan all the time.

15. MichelleTodd

MichelleTodd Active Member

Sounds like my kind of show!:swoon: :rofl:

16. skatepixie

skatepixie Well-Known Member

Okay, my respect for him just multiplied -- and I had a lot to behin with. :eek: :D :swoon: :kickass:

17. ryanbfan

ryanbfan New Member

No Dallas. No South. :wuzrobbed

Except Florida. But I cannot afford that. Not one penny.

18. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I forgot to mention Joannie Rochette--it was good to see her join SOI. She and Katia were the only one who did the COE spiral--Sasha stayed on the OE a short time and that's it.

Joannie is looking happy and healthy, although much smaller than I remember at Worlds 2009.

There was a recorded message from Scott Hamilton in the beginning talking about the tour's 25th anniversary and cute banter with Kurt Browning. He (Kurt) really is amazing, still so quick on his feet and so charismatic. He did an interesting number with props: a top hat, a tux and a walking stick being handed to him one by one as he skated to his own thoughts superimposed over the music, things like "lets go, Browning", "don't think about the salchow", "you are thinking about the salchow", "you are thinking about not thinking about the salchow", etc. It was cute and different and suited him very much. He made a joke about his rather nasty fall--after he was done, he said:"Well, you now know this show is live." :p

Evan wore black for both of his performances, conceding to wear other colors in group numbers only. His second number was Spanish and I am sorry to say I am still underwhelmed by his ability to sell a program. But he was clearly the "designated" star being the OGM, and closed the show.

19. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Thanks for the report, IceAlisa. I can't wait for the DC show (March 6). I almost gave up on SOI after last year's watered-down edition (more COI-ish and less permanent pro stars) but it sounds as if this year they're closer in style to the SOI of old.

20. dancinsk8

dancinsk8 New Member

Short tidbits...Went to the show in San Diego and sat in the row behind ice seats (goalie end, opposite of skater tunnel).

Loved Katia's skating, great to see Joannie, Tanith/Ben, and Sasha. Kurt pointed out Debi Thomas in the audience...so cool to see her and applaud. Between the concession stands and the merchandise booths, they had banners for each year of SOI w/ listing of each cast and cast photo (well 87-91 were all mixed in one banner...) and a cardboard not-full-cast-photo where you can stand in front and take your photo 'w/ the cast.' Arena not full, but audience enthusiastic.

If you go, look at the screens when they talk about skaters who were part of SOI in the past (GREAT family photos of Elena/Steven and kids, Lu/Denis and kids, Kristi/Bret and kids, Jeni/Todd and kids...etc...too many to name and it goes kinda fast!).

Fun night, but will probably be my last SOI. Really miss the polished, professional, production of Christopher Dean days...was 2005 (rain/red umbrellas) his last year connected w/ SOI?

21. Teenes

Teenes New Member

My ridiculously long, slightly Kurt-centric (or at least I babbled more about Kurt than anyone else) review of the San Jose show can be found here:

http://www.kurtfiles.com/soi/soireviews/sanjose11.php

I skipped the US tour last year, so I can't judge every year's show (though I did go to the Canadian one). But I thought this year's show made a real effort to try to touch back on the things that made Stars on Ice unique and great - the ensembles, personalities, transitions,etc. I don't think it lived up to the heights of the tour, but overall it was an enjoyable evening of skating with some solos I really liked and some nice ensembles. And I am SO happy Kurt's back on the US tour - and so is he! =)

22. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I've been wondering about this too, although I think it was Katia and not Joannie (Katia is a blonde now so I can see the confusion, especially in the dark) but what was the point of having her there? :confused:

23. Teenes

Teenes New Member

I think I thought it was Joannie b/c the dress kind of looked like her "Objection" dress from earlier this season. And also, I mostly had my camera trained on Evan so I didn't look closely at her. But she never came near, so I fully believe it was Katia. That was definitely one of the odder transitions - the rest made more sense.

24. tapper88

tapper88 New Member

I guess Joannie is retiring "My Immortal." I would have loved to see it live, but it's good that she's doing other numbers.. :) I would imagine it would have been very emotionally draining to skate that.

25. love skating

love skating Clueless American

I got back from SOI Anaheim. It was a nice show. Loved the new small group number - Katia gets to do a lift with David in it. Sasha's Mein Herr was wonderful - my favorite of the night. I also enjoyed Evan's Roxanne, all of B&A, S&P's Scream, and Kurt's Steppin' Out number - plus the 50's group number was great. In the Anaheim audience today that got a shout out from Kurt were Rosalynn Sumners with husband Bob Kain, Meno & Sand, Peter Carruthers, Tara Lipinski and Ilia Kulik.

26. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I can't believe I forgot to mention this: Kristi Yamaguchi was in the audience in San Jose, looking great. The spotlight couldn't find her when Kurt introduced her so he said: "she is very small" which was cute.

27. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Good for Kristi. She was in NY the night before at the Rise premier too, so she flew back in the AM and still went to the show.

28. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Well, that's the awesomeness of Kristi. :)

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  29. moebius

moebius Well-Known Member

I remember seeing Kristi, her 2 daughters, and her dad leaving the HP Pavillion in San Jose after an SOI show two years ago as I was waiting inside for the bus. She is really tiny in person. I didn't bother for an autograph, as it was late night around 11pm and I'm sure she was tired and wanted to go home.

30. Oreo

Oreo Active Member

I was at the Anaheim show tonight as well. Also in the audience, but they didn't announce them, were John Zimmerman and Kyoko Ina. They were sitting with Renee Rocca. At intermission John had to show his ID to some personnel woman to get through the tunnel to backstage. (my God, just let this guy in, I mean, take a good look, honey). Tara got in with just a word, no ID.

Great show! Everybody was on. Kurt is still the master; Evan was very musical; Sasha did well; Katia was hot--and here she has a daughter graduating from high school; Jamie Sale is in phenomenal shape. I definitely got my money's worth.