US Skaters Projection/Discussion for JGP Spots 2013-14

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by haribobo, Jan 30, 2013.

1. jlai

jlai Title-less

It looks like Hicks and Cain are not doing jgp (Cain and Hicks doing Sr B ) and Pierce hasn't done a summer comp (so no jgp?). For JGps, the only jgp eligible skaters yet unassigned are Miller, Lam and Glenn, with Glenn not on the JGP subs list. So I guess the most likely skater to miss out on JGP is A Glenn (followed by Lam).
    A bit surprised Miller has yet to be assigned but maybe she's still recovering

2. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

Pierce is scheduled to compete at Golden West August 29-Sep 1, so could still get one of the last JGPs if a spot opens up (and if she skates well at Golden West!)

3. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Lam is also skating at Golden West.

4. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Since Tammy Gambill currently coaches Keiser, Lam, Pierce, and Karen Chen, I imagine she is keeping USFS informed re. her skaters' competition readiness for a JGP (Omori is her 1 JGP man who is assigned to SVK).

ETA the JGP #4 (Gdansk, Poland) published entries:

31 Brian KRENTZ USA (his 1st assignment/Team USA debut!)
    32 Jordan MOELLER USA (Latvia)
    Nathan CHEN USA S
    Tomoki HIWATASHI USA S
    Spencer HOWE USA S
    Jimmy MA USA S
    Oleksiy MELNYK USA S
    Shotaro OMORI USA S
    Nix PHENGSY USA S

31 Yasmin SIRAJ USA (Latvia)
    32 Angela WANG USA (shifted here from Latvia)
    Mariah BELL USA S
    Ashley CAIN USA S (assigned to her 1st Sr. B, Nebelhorn Trophy)
    Karen CHEN USA S
    Polina EDMUNDS USA S
    Leah KEISER USA S
    Vanessa LAM USA S
    Barbie LONG USA S
    Hannah MILLER USA S

20 Kaitlin HAWAYEK / Jean-Luc BAKER USA (ETA: Mexico)
    21 Elliana POGREBINSKY / Ross GUDIS USA (Latvia)
    Julia BIECHLER / Damian DODGE USA S
    Chloe LEWIS / Logan BYE USA S
    Lorraine MCNAMARA / Quinn CARPENTER USA S
    Holly MOORE / Daniel KLABER USA S
    Rachel PARSONS / Michael PARSONS USA S
    Tory PATSIS / Joseph JOHNSON USA S
    Sammi WREN / Alexey SHCHEPETOV USA S

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  5. MoreIce

MoreIce Member

What does the USFS look for when assessing competition readiness? Leah Keiser finished something like 14th at Glacier Falls. Even if the assignments were chosen before that comp, That kind of result does not seem international comp ready to me.

6. Stephanie

Mexico ;)

7. Sylvia

Re-posting from the JGP Entries thread in Kiss and Cry:

JGP #5 Minsk, Belarus entries were published today - first assignments of the season for Hannah Miller, Spencer Howe (debut), Madeline Aaron/Max Settlage in pairs, Tory Patsis/Joe Johnson (debut) in ice dance. Howe was scheduled to make his JGP debut last year in Lake Placid but had to WD due to injury. The other listed skaters (Karen Chen, Jimmy Ma, Zaitsev/Stevens, McNamara/Carpenter) are competing in Riga, Latvia, this week so their 2nd assignment may still be provisional.

Listed alternates not yet assigned to a JGP: Vanessa Lam, Oleksiy Melnyk (N2), Takai/Johnson (N4) and Dai/Fishman (N5) in pairs, Biechler/Dodge (J9) and Wren/Shchepetov (N3) in dance.

Lam's Team USA bio on IN says "Harvard University (2018)" so I think she is deferring college until next fall.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  8. jlai

jlai Title-less

Challenge Skate seems to be the go-to competition for skaters with no jgp, so I guess Pierce and Glenn will have no jgp at all because they will be in Salt Lake city

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  9. Stephanie

Based on the Riga results Chen should get a second assignment whereas Siraj should not. I wonder if Chen will take Siraj's "place" in Gdansk where she would face Medvedeva again as well as Angela Wang. I know she's a placeholder for Minsk but there are still 8 girls who could earn second assignments and USFS may not be able to wait another week to decide who goes to Poland.

ETA: The JGP standings published today show Baga, Glenn, and Pierce listed as subs for Ostrava whereas Cain and Lam are not

10. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Chen deserves another assignment. Why waste one on someone like Baga or Lam? These skaters have been around forever and have stagnated in their skating. Chen can only get better. It's just like back in 2011 when Gold was tearing up the summer competitions but still only got one JGP while Ashley Cain got another event after finishing a poor 6th place in her first competition.

11. Sylvia

Glad to see the 3 new alternates listed - Baga's 100+ FS at Cranberry Open and Glenn's ambitious jump content in summer competitions merit both of them being added, IMO.
    ETA: Novice ladies champ Tyler Pierce is scheduled to compete this weekend at Golden West (live stream link is posted in both Kiss and Cry and TV Alerts forum).

Chen definitely will get a second JGP and I agree with Stephanie that it might be smart to move her earlier than #5 Minsk.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  12. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

The depth of talent and difficulty predicting how skaters will do always makes JGP selection such a crap shot in my mind. I "get" why people would surmise that Siraj could "lose" her second slot but I seriously hope that she does not. She could come back in a second event and land on the podium IMO

13. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

I enjoyed both if Siraj's programs from s choreographic standpoint (especially her short) but with so many good, worthy skaters yet to receive an assignment, I hope someone else gets shot and some valuable international experience.

14. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

I wonder why only 1 pair entry to start the season? With the junior world championship title in hand, the US would be "eligible" to send as many as 3 pair teams to an event. I remember the days when Delilah's teams ruled the JGP and she practically had half the field at Junior Grand Prix Final

15. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

I don't think there are as many age eligible teams this year, plus there is an additional event offering a pairs competition (5 instead of 4 for the last few years) so more spots to be filled.

16. Sylvia

The U.S. has 6 age-eligible pair teams listed in the ISP (the 7th, Denney/Frazier, are still age-eligible but have moved up to Senior Grand Prix).

4 of the 6 have been assigned to the JGP so far: Zaitsev/Stevens N1 (LAT & provisionally assigned to BLR), Liu/Perini J4 and Budd/Cheban N2 (both MEX & provisionally assigned to CZE), Aaron/Settlage J3 (BLR). Takai/Johnson N4 and Dai/Fishman N5 are listed as alternates.

17. jlai

jlai Title-less

As mentioned in the jgp thread, Chen is doing the third jgp, replacing Keiser. Lam is doing a sr B, so the last spot may be between Pierce and Glenn. Going by summer results I vote for Glenn.
    Smart move for USFS to assign some sr Bs to skaters like Cain and Lam and moving Chen up to replace Keiser!

18. Sylvia

Kiri Baga & Amber Glenn are now both listed for JGP #6 in CZE but it shouldn't be considered "official" until it shows up on USFS' International Assignments page.

U.S. ladies listed on ISU site:
    SVK: Chen (her 2nd assignment), Long
    POL: Siraj (still provisional?), Wang
    BLR: Edmunds, Long (both still provisional?)
    CZE: Baga, Glenn (still to be confirmed)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2013
  19. Jun Y

Jun Y Well-Known Member

I was very impressed with Mariah Bell last season and this season's short program (JGP Mexico) is also very likable (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DClp-Uxfkw). Although we have seen a lot of Flamenco music and fake snappiness and attitude being tossed around over the years, this program is well choreographed and Bell sustains the style and matched the music details in her moves during the entire program. Take any ten-second segment out of the performance and it is recognizable as Flamenco. Very mature and precise for a young skater.

20. MoreIce

MoreIce Member

Did I miss this? Is Hannah Miller injured or not doing jgp?

21. Sylvia

Hannah Miller originally was scheduled for #5 Belarus but her name was removed recently (probably because she is not ready to compete at the desired level yet).

Originally posted in the 2013 Skate Detroit thread in late July:
    Jun Y, I've cross-posted your Mariah Bell comment both in the U.S. Ladies news thread in GSD and the general discussion thread here in the Trash Can: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...ty-Warhorses&p=3988941&viewfull=1#post3988941

Last edited: Sep 7, 2013
  22. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Mariah looks and skates like such a lady now it's hard to believe it's been over two and half years since i first saw her as a tiny tot as a Novice at Nationals. She had that "watch me" gene right out out of the gate. If only she could land her jumps which is holding her back.

23. jlai

jlai Title-less

Bell and Edmunds will get a second jgp, I guess.
    Since Miller is not ready that literally opens up one spot and another spot (which would have gone to Miller had she medalled in her first jgp), and Siraj isnt gonna get assigned again, so it looks like Glenn and Baga are likely to be confirmed to go

eta: According to the JGP forums, Miller is provsionally slotted for JGP #7. Interesting.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  24. euligranco

euligranco New Member

Progress! Mexico City FS - 5 triples

25. jlai

jlai Title-less

I wonder if HIWATASHI gets another shot at a jgp (if healthy). With Moeller and Ma not finishing in top six in the first jgp, there should now be more provsional spots available.

26. Sylvia

Re-posting from the JGP Entries thread in Kiss and Cry:
    Yes, there aren't as many JGP-eligible U.S. men as there are ladies this year.

27. her grace

her grace Well-Known Member

The ladies selection has been nothing short of brilliant this season; props to this configuration of the international selection committee. :respec:

I wonder what they'll do with Long's provisional second assignment if she doesn't move up here. There aren't a lot of ladies to choose from on the sub list for that JGP. So it could remain Long, Siraj could get that one as her second assignment, or they could give it to Lam to get her on the Season's Best list.

I also hope they'll keep spreading the wealth in the men's assignments. It would be nice for Melnyk and/or Vrdoljak to make their JGP debut.

28. jlai

jlai Title-less

I agree that USFS did a good job with jgp ladies so far.
    re Melnyk. Has he competed his lp yet?

29. Stephanie

5th place for Long in Slovakia (although it was an extremely tough field)...I wonder if she'll still go to Belarus or not. Normally I'd say no but there aren't many options amongst the subs: Chen and Bell already have second assignments, Cain is doing Nebelhorn that weekend, Lam has Finlandia the weekend after, Keiser and Miller's injury statuses are up in the air, and Wang is in Belarus the weekend before.

30. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

What about Edmunds? Surely she needs a 2nd event.