US Skaters for 2013 Skate America spots

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by haribobo, Jan 30, 2013.

1. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Since I am always looking forward to the next season, the one thing on my mind is which sub top-24 skaters from Nationals should/could end up at Skate America. Here is my analysis- feel free to add your own!

Men- Alexander Johnson has to be the clear choice for a spot. His free skate was fantastic, and he put out a great free last year, too. :swoon: I imagine the top 6 (Aaron, Miner, Abbott, Farris, Rippon, Dornbush) will all end the year at or close to top-24 status so they shouldn't need help getting GP spots. Unfortunately for Alex, there is always the Weir and Lysacek factor to consider, because sometimes, they actually show up. :shuffle: :rolleyes: :scream: Still, I will hold out hope...

Pairs- My big hope is for the wonderful new team of Kayne/O'Shea. :swoon: I was also super impressed by Leng/Leduc and Baga/Toth. :kickass: The way things worked this past season with all the injuries and splits, I think Davis/Ladwig, Denney/Frazier, and Donlan/Speroff will be ok to get a spot or two even if they're outside of the top 24. I have hope for Zhang/Bartholomay to score well at 4CC also. Of course, Rockne and whichever new partner could factor in also if they are ready by summer/fall comps. I think Calalang/Sidhu, Simpson/Blackmer, and Pfund/Reiss all age out of juniors too, but at the moment I am significantly less impressed with all of them than our lower ranked senior pairs, and just think they need more time to bake or whatever. But the former two have another shot at a higher SB at Junior Worlds, so good luck to them!

Ladies- a lot will depend on Junior Worlds. I really want to see all 3 of Hicks, Siraj, and Cesario make the leap up to senior GP, and if any fail to achieve top-24 scores, then they will have to hope for SA. I also imagine Alissa Czisny will get a SA spot if she wants one. And we can never forget Rachael Flatt... The others- Wagner, Gold, Gao, Nagasu, Zawadzki, should all be fine with their ISU PB's. I am sure whatever happens, there will be a ton of hang-wringing and endless discussion...

Dance- I guess whichever of the Cannuscio teams, Olson/Hubbell, or Aronow/Brubaker look best at Lake Placid, and Aldridge/Eaton and K/G-S are also in the 20-30 range and could need a spot.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2013
  2. misskarne

misskarne #408

Johnson is great but he might lose out to Brown, who'll surely get one, and the USFSA might use SKAM to get him a second. There just aren't enough spots to go round! :(

3. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Jason might be able to get 2 on his own if he medals at JW and improves his present SB into the top 25, which he is definitely capable of doing, his current SB is far below his scoring potential but I think his WS is already top 25, so he might not need SKAM. Plus aren't there usually 2 host picks anyways?

4. haribobo

There are two host picks, but I think the 3 spots will be assigned to Max, Johnny, and Evan at first anyway.

5. misskarne

misskarne #408

This irritates me. Why the hell should Weir and Lysacek get preference over the skaters who actually bothered to show up to Nationals?

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. rayhaneh

rayhaneh New Member

Because they are more famous and bankable for the USFSA? :shuffle: (and that way, their tv ads wouldn't look like they are 4 years old or something :lol:)

Btw, I don't condone it at all (especially since I absolutely loved Johnson's skating at US Nats), but I can totally see that happening.....

7. misskarne

misskarne #408

:lol:

Unfortunately, so can I. I'd much rather see Johnson get a shot on the big stage than Lysacek or Weir.

8. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

I don't see Johnny and Evan both at this event. They won't want to go head to head that early.

9. haribobo

I hardly doubt Johnny and Evan are worried about one another at this point as much as Patrick, Javier, Evgeny, Amodio, Takahashi, Hanyu... Johnny vs. Evan is not a thing anymore, not even close.

10. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Usually the reigning US champs get automatic invites to Skate America, no? Sometimes they decline or ask for later assignments, for health/training reasons.

11. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

Brown still has a year of Junior eligibility left... given that he's going to also be moving, and starting college, it wouldn't be an enormous surprise if he stayed junior and decided to wait and make a splash in seniors after all the 2014 skaters retire. He and his coach seem to be taking a "slow and steady" strategy so far.

I love both Brown and Johnson, so I'd be happy to see either of them at Skate America. But Brown has competitive options that Johnson doesn't.

12. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

Egos are fragile. They won't both be there. Plus USFS won't want to give up the marketing options they would when one looses to the other

13. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I actually question whether USFS would OFFER a spot to both Lysacek and Weir. Yeah, they would probably offer Lysacek one (he's the reigning gold medalist), but I'm not sure at this point they'd want to 'waste' the spot on either of them without some written-in-stone guarantees they'll be at Nationals with bells on unless they get a limb amputated.

14. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Max Aaron is #38 on the ISU World Standing list. If he skates as well at 4CC as he did at Nationals, he will zoom up into the top 24; another good performance at Worlds should keep him there. And scores over 220 at 4CC or Worlds would put him in the top 24 on the Seasons Best list as well.

Aside from all that, Max could easily finish in the top 12 at Worlds, which would guarantee him two GP events anyway. So USFS wouldn't need to give up a host spot for him.

I would love to see Alex Johnson get a host spot at SA.

15. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I'd love to see Alex too. But even more, I'd like to know where SA will be.

16. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

esp considering they are unlikely to show up except in the broadcast booth

17. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

^ This

18. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

If Skate America wastes it pick on Rachael Flatt yet again next year i give up. She showed up last year out of shape and doesn't deserve a GP event next season. There is too much talent not to give it to one of the younger Ladies.

19. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

My thoughts exactly. I know they both really wanted Sochi, but a comeback for either doesn't seem even remotely realistic at this point.

20. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

It is the crucial Olympic season. I agree.

21. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

If they wanted to, could USFS send a newbie like Polina Edmunds to Skate America?

22. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Edmunds is only 14 and will most certainly do a season on the JGP before leaping up to the GP.

23. sammyf

sammyf Well-Known Member

For pairs, Castelli/Shnapir, Denney/Coughlin, Denney/Frazier, Scimeca/Knierim, Zhang/Bartholomay, Simpson/Blackmer will all hopefully earn spots.
    I can see Calalang/Sidhu, Baga/Toth, Leng/LeDuc, Vise/Baldwin offered B events.
    So Skate America should be between Donlan/Speroff, Kayne/O'Shea, ?/Brubaker.

24. jlai

jlai Title-less

By the end of summer, fans usually complain about deserving skaters who have been training well but won't be getting a host pick at SA because that spot has already been assigned to someone who skated well at nationals (but might not have been as well trained. (case in point, R Flatt) :) Why not send Alex Johnson to a senior B and see how he does first? :)

25. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I wonder if Edmunds will skate as a Senior at Nationals next year? She's now won the Junior title so she has nothing more to gain as a Junior Nationally.

26. os168

os168 Active Member

It seems fairly obvious to me, they will give the spot to Gracie and Ashley. Federations tends to shield and buffer their big hitters at home GP series, esp provide a nice boost to their PCS for the rest of the season.

I'd be terribly shocked if Rachel is selected again, if so there's must be serious politicking behind the scene that we don't know about. Rachel is from La Jolla San Diego right? Very affluent neighborhood the last time I visited... maybe rich and powerful connections :p

27. euterpe

euterpe Well-Known Member

Gracie and Ashley will each get two GP invitations based on ISU World Standing, SB list, or top 12 finish at Worlds. USFS might have one of them at Nationals, but most likely not both.

Polina Edmunds might skate Senior nationally, but not internationally. She will be 15 in May, but she hasn't had any international competitions as yet, and she won't be going to JW, so it doesn't seem reasonable to put a complete newbie in the GP. Polina should do a season (or maybe two) in the JGP.

28. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

I have no doubt that Lysacek will be assigned to Skate America. It will be the Olympic season and he is the reigning Olympic champion. If the comments that Lori Nichol made last Friday during the HOF induction about the quality of Evan's skating shortly before his injury are accurate, then Lysacek will be competitive if fully recovered from surgery.

29. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

I'd be surprised if Johnny chooses to compete next year. I think he hoped to this year (Evan too) because they both felt they could top Abbott on the podium. After watching the success of the younger men landing quads I'd be surprised if Johnny gives it another shot. Evan is another story. Healthy & with a quad, he's still competitive.

30. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

I wonder if the USFS will use USIC as a skate-off or monitoring competition before it decides on its final spots.

I wish the ISU would go back to 12 spots for singles and 10 for Pairs and Dance, at least in the pre-Olympic year, and just agree not to replace any injury withdrawals after the skater confirmation deadlines and the TBDs have been replaced, unless a host wants to replace a host spot up to the start of the competition (whatever the official meeting or practice is at which the team could be finalized. It would be a plus for US, Japan, and Russia across all disciplines, but I'm not sure China, France, and Canada would want to pay for it.

I think it would be a shame for Lysacek to be assigned a Skate America host spot when he can get two as a come-back skater. (Two year ago when he was assigned two, he didn't have to use the one-time clause, because he was guaranteed at least one as still having WS in the top 24.) Although there's strong preference for come-back skaters to be assigned one host spot, it's not required, as neither Weir nor Ando was assigned a host spot in the initial allocation this season.