US Pairs - any broken up yet?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by AnnMJensen, Feb 3, 2012.

1. winterone

winterone Banned Member

ITA. Alexa is a good kid.

2. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

Drew recently updated his Partner Search profile, I would think that means he is still looking for a partner.

3. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I'm not going to speculate on his current partnership- but he is still relatively new to pairs (this is his third season, and his first season with Gifford was kind of a fluke), he's definitely building up his strength. And he is really tall, so if he wants to stay in pairs, he has a lot more options than some of the shorter men.

4. winterone

winterone Banned Member

Anyone know why Aleca S is off IPS?

5. can'tsk8

can'tsk8 New Member

sadly I think Andrews/le Duc won't last, Cassie is a beautiful skater but her jumps have not progressed for a long time now and Tim has all triples including 3A, I don't think Cassie has a consistent 2A

6. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

just thought I'd point out how irrelevant the 3A is to pairs, along with the triple-triple combo being rarely relevant that people still bring up. Jumping is just one part of a program; it's important, but not everything.

7. can'tsk8

can'tsk8 New Member

I agree that 3A and 3/3 are rarely relevant to pairs, but 2A and triples are jumps used by the winning teams. I am not a fan of the sport being so driven by jump scores but unfortunately it seems that is the direction the sport has taken with the current judging system, I also agree that they are only one part of the program, but sadly if two skaters are not able to perform to the same level then they tend to split.

8. 5Ali3

5Ali3 Active Member

Girls who have the perfect frame for high-level IJS lifts have an awful frame for consistently landing solo triples, and vice versa. It's one of the many paradoxes in the current pairs environment that's contributing to short-term teams.

9. mag

mag Well-Known Member

I don't know very much about pairs, so I am interested to know why you think this. I have always been led to believe that small girls make better jumpers.

10. fan

fan Active Member

11. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

That's too bad,

But our best female pairs lady needs a partner stat.

Get thee to a tryout w/ Caitlin, Josh

12. Sylvia

Sylvia Bring on the JGP & Sr B comps!

Here's the official USFS press release: Cain and Reagan end partnership

Link to the thread just started in GSD: Cain/Reagan split

ETA:
    Here's a summary of U.S. pair skaters currently listed on icepartnersearch.com who have competed at US Nationals in Novice-Senior within the last few years (also mentioned in the "Status of US Pairs This Season" thread):

Ivan Dimitrov (he listed himself on IPS today; Alexa Scimeca was listed earlier but not now
    Caitlin Yankowskas (2011, Senior)
    Lindsay Davis (2011, Senior)
    Cassie Andrews (2012, Senior); Timothy LeDuc is not listed
    Joe Lynch (2011, Senior)
    Drew Meekins (2009, Senior)
    Adam Civiello (2010 JGP competitor)
    Chad Phillips (2012, Novice)
    Danielle Viola (2012, Novice)
    Lianna Thomas (2012, Novice)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012
  13. icellist

icellist Member

that was my first thought when i read the news

14. kiss-n-cry

kiss-n-cry Team Brown

Just when I was getting to like Cain/Reagan they split. :(

He is tall enough for Caitlin Y? I didn't go to check out the profile, yet. He and Ashley seemed to be quite similar in height.

15. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

His IN profile lists him as 6-1 and Ashley as 5-5. Tall for a lady skater. Maybe, that is why he looked short, I suppose ...

Caitlin is listed as 5-2

16. kiss-n-cry

kiss-n-cry Team Brown

Yes, it sounds like it may be time for a tryout! :p

17. 5Ali3

5Ali3 Active Member

I've been trying to think of a good, clear, short way to explain the difference, and the more I thought about it, the more complicated it became. :) It has to do with the distribution of muscle, especially through the glutes and hamstrings, as well as a skater's proportions. Of course, very few skaters have the body that male ;) pair coaches/skaters would say is the "ideal" body for a pair girl - but that doesn't halt the pressure on pair girls to have that shape, nor does it mean that coaches will stop "rejecting" a potential pair girl on the basis on her non-ideal frame.

My very first thought was, "Yes, Ashley needs a partner ASAP." And then I read the rest of your post. :rofl:

(When I thought about who I believe is truly the best U.S. female pairs skater, I decided that Jenni Meno is clearly quite content with her current partner. :D )

18. madm

madm Active Member

And Rena Inoue is also "quite content" with her partner. :D We can't forget that she did the first throw 3A ever and was a champion singles lady before switching to pairs. While I like Caitlin's abilities, the accomplishments of many previous U.S female pair champions (e.g. Meno, Yamaguchi, Ina, Inoue) over time are far greater.