US Pairs 2013 News and Updates Part II

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by ~tapdancer~, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Member

Who are the novice and junior teams new out of the coast? I heard that several have new partners but it is just rumor. Anyone know for sure?
  2. figureit

figureit New Member

I am a little confused after reading the comments on here and watching the videos. Maybe someone that is more up technically on pairs than me can help. I watched the senior pairs three videos and understand that it is early for these teams and have no problems with the second and third place teams, they are very talented by the way. I also like D/S but to see them 10 points higher? I watched them do a triple twist where Donalan landed on her own(girl power!) and Andrew did not catch her he was leaning forward and that can be a dangerous issue hopefully it was just an off twist(maybe they are reworking it?) , UR a triple toe and totally out of sinc, a death spiral that was inside? and barely made it around, D almost fell on the cheated two footed throw (kudo's for end of program and not falling she is stronger than gets credit for), and foot work that was not connected at all, and pair spin marginal. I'm not trying to bash I like them. I have been online to see the comps to their score and am shocked. IT seems they got total credit for everything even though it was not done. The lift was good. That score is the same as some amazing pairs last season skating really well. So maybe the judges were just giving them the score they could get if skating clean to give them confidence but 10 points higher then the other teams? and a comp score to pairs that skated really well last year ?

They are so talented in components. IT was so nice to see them out there so early I was just confused on the scores. I know there are many on here that are very very good at explaining the scoring system.

With this scoring does anyone have an idea how the summer competitions may stack up?
    This all said maybe the scores this Oly year will be going up? Maybe components are the focus this year? That could make sense then. Good luck to all the teams!
  3. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Five favorite things with Felicia Zhang and Nate Bartholomay: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130610&content_id=50201734&vkey=ice_news

From today's "The Inside Edge" blog on IN:
    ETA:
    Colin Grafton has updated his profile on IPS: http://icepartnersearch.com/showbio.php?i=4181

I posted this hearsay information earlier in this thread (5/30): "Elise Middleton is skating with Anthony Evans from Texas (he's 21 & too old for the JGP, unfortunately) and they are coached by Peter Oppegard."
    (I usually don't consider any new teams to be "for sure" until after they have competed together.)
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  4. Sayana_mnk

Sayana_mnk Member

I have heard of three new Pacific Coast pairs – but, as already pointed out, information of this sort should be considered strictly "hearsay" until confirmed.

In Aliso Viejo, CA, presumably training with Meno and Sand, Hannah Klopstock and Michael Johnson have teamed up. Klopstock most recently competed with Chadwick Phillips while Johnson was formerly paired with Caitlin Belt with whom he finished in 9th place at nationals.

It looks like another new junior pairs team training there is AnnaMarie Pearce and Jason Pacini. Pearce's most recent partners were Craig Norris and Matej Silecky and Jason Pacini was the 2012 U.S. Novice Pairs silver medalist with former partner Caitlin Fields. Fields and Pacini were the 7th place junior team this year at nationals.

Finally, Juliette Erickson (who last competed as a novice pair skater with Connor Fleming) appears to have partnered with Alex Brauner. I am not familiar with Brauner's background, but he seems to have skated in Canada previously. I do not know if they intend to compete as a novice or a junior pair.
  5. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

This story is mainly about Randy Gardner BUT there are also tidbits about other pairs skaters (among other skaters): Becky Bereswill (she's been modeling and is loving her partnership with Josh Reagan) and Fontana and Zimmerman, who just had a second baby.
  6. Cant Skate

Cant Skate Member

Yes, Alex is Canadian. He competed in Novice dance for the last two seasons placing 22nd at Challenge last season and 20th the season before. In 2011/2012 he also competed Novice men placing 8th at the ABNWTNUN Sectionals. As far as I know that was the last time he seriously competed singles, however I could be wrong. Do you know if they will compete for the USA or Canada?
  7. Sylvia

Cross-posting in the U.S. and Canadian Pairs threads...

My latest hearsay info (from two different reliable sources) is that Caitlin Fields, who will be 18 in September, is relocating from Scottsdale, Arizona (where she trained under Doug Ladret) to Montreal to partner with Sebastian Arcieri, 19, and compete in Canada.

ETA that Fields/Pacini never competed internationally because he was too old - their bio on IN: http://web.icenetwork.com/skaters/detail.jsp?id=40264&mode=P
    Arcieri skated with Natasha Purich last season - they competed on the JGP and won the Junior silver medal at 2013 Canadians.
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  8. AKA

AKA Member

Thanks for the information, heard they were doing well but not sure what level Juliette and Alex will compete. Elise is doing junior right? Any other new teams for novice? None are posted on unseen skaters for Pacific. Didn't another team split? David something?
  9. AKA

AKA Member

Think compete for the US but not sure...
  10. Sylvia

Scheduled to compete this weekend...

Donlan/Speroff (debut of their "Pas de Deux"/Nutcracker FS) and Baga/Toth (SP) at Boston Open on Saturday 6/22 - will post link to the live, free stream if/when it becomes available.

Zhang/Bartholomay (season debut of their "Carousel" SP & Les Miz FS), Kayne/O'Shea (debut of their "Don Quixote" FS); Alyssa McDougal/Paul Schatz (Junior) and Gillett/Fernandez (Novice) at Summer Chiller in Fort Myers, FL (also scheduled to compete are Canada's Lawrence/Swiegers and GBR's Kemp/King (SP)).

Calalang/Sidhu (Sr. debut); Junior teams Liu/Perini, Klopstock/Johnson (new) and Middleton/Evans (new) at SoCal Interclub in Paramount, CA.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  11. Sylvia

It was mentioned earlier in the thread that Lianna Thomas/David Botero (N10 at 2013 Nationals) have split. Teams will be listed in Unseen Skaters' Pairs Scoretracker after they have competed and their results/scores are known.
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2013
  12. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. Sylvia. :)
  13. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Good luck to all. Especially interested in seeing how all the US Senior pairs look. So far, decent choices in music.
  14. Sylvia

15. Sylvia

Detailed protocol links for Felicia Zhang/Nate Bartholomay (52.08 SP, 104.47 FS) and Tarah Kayne/Danny O'Shea (52.37 SP, 86.85 FS) at the Summer Chiller competition in Florida this past weekend:
    SP: http://www.icejudge.com/documents/competitions/copfsc/2013/results/SEGM022.html
    FS: http://www.icejudge.com/documents/competitions/copfsc/2013/results/SEGM014.html (this event was at 8 am on Sunday)

Videos of Baga/Toth's SP and Donlan/Speroff's FS at Boston Open and a mini-report by ioana are posted in the competition thread in Kiss and Cry: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...t-June-21-22&p=3943604&viewfull=1#post3943604

AFAIK, Alexa Scimeca/Chris Knierim are planning to debut their new SP to "Papa, Can You Hear Me?" from Yentl, choreographed by Catarina Lindgren, at the Broadmoor Open on Friday night, June 28 - link to the competition thread in Kiss and Cry: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?88443-2013-Broadmoor-Open-June-26-29-(-webcast-info)
  16. Sylvia

Alexa Scimeca/Chris Knierim debuted their new SP last night and looked solid on all their elements - 65.69 (38.43/27.26).

2 new pairs that debuted at the Broadmoor Open: Joy Weinberg/Michael Lueck (Junior) and Macy Peterson/Daniel Arsenault (Novice).
  17. olympic

WOW. Obviously, these scores don't matter too much in the scope of things yet still impressive. They must've been clean. I also doubt we'll get a video of this.
  18. Sylvia

S/K's elements included a very high 3twist, throw 3F, sbs 3S (not quite landed in unison), lasso entry into star lift - believe this entry is new for them.
  19. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

Received a schedule for Detroit yesterday - senior pairs event will be two hours. No idea who's registered yet but sounds like lots of teams. I'm excited!
  20. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

Two hours of Senior Pairs! Oh my foolish heart is so happy...........
  21. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

Where is the link to the schedule please!
  22. Sylvia

^^^ I don't think the Skate Detroit schedule is online yet - it's being emailed to registered competitors. I will start a thread for 2013 Skate Detroit in the 2013-14 Kiss and Cry forum when the schedule is online.
  23. jdonavan

jdonavan Member

Ok Thank you!
  24. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

This makes my heart happy too! I can't wait to go to Detroit and see some summer skating! :cheer:
  25. figureit

figureit New Member

Does anyone have a wrap up of all the Senior Pair short program scores at the local competitions so far?
    Haven't seen a post on that and am curious because many of them have competed.
  26. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

27. figureit

figureit New Member

Thanks this was great! I wish it was divided into SP scores and FS scores separately so we can compare each without math lol but it was good to see. So C/S and D/C are the two big ones missing that I can see. Can't wait to see more maybe at Detroit?
  28. chachacha

chachacha New Member

Chris Knerim had to have surgery a few days ago after a training accident on his ankle. Britney Simpson also had to have shoulder surgery. We need these teams to stay healthy.
  29. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Agreed. This is a setback for C/S this is the time when the heavy training happens. They really had momentum from last year and evidently skated a great SP at Broadmoor. Hope he's not off the ice for to long because i see them as the team to beat at Nationals.
  30. olympic

I think you mean S/K, Jammers?

Anyway, it would be great to know what type of ankle surgery this would be. It sounds pretty ominous! Could it be something arthroscopic which would be relatively minor or did he break a bone? :( They are turning into my favorite team. I probably jinxed them.
  31. chachacha

chachacha New Member

It was a broken bone
  32. halffull

halffull Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear of these injuries. Wishing both Simpson and Knerim speedy recoveries for their surgeries :)
  33. figureit

figureit New Member

The friend I have there said neither of these injuries was even in an article because the healing time does not effect either ones training time. With hearsay you never know but it was encouraging regardless. Simpson's surgery tightened things up and is already rehabbing and Knerim's injury is done and will be back into a boot in four weeks. My understanding is he will be at the rink daily training and working on arms (as a guy I would think this would be torture lol but needed) this may result in an even higher component score which I know both teams are focused on. I hope they achieve their goals!!
    THE BIG NEWS OF THIS INFORMATION IS HOW HIGH S/K"s SP SCORE WAS AT BROADMOOR which if I am not wrong would have given them fourth at World's I am excited with what we are seeing from these new teams. Can't wait to see D/C and C/S when do those teams compete next???? It would be nice to see how these two teams would measure up. We are seeing some awesome things so far.
  34. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

So will S/K be ready for their GP events? Hoping so!
  35. Sylvia

Scimeca/Knierim's first GP is Cup of China, Nov. 7-9, so hopefully yes. :)

I believe Denney/Coughlin plan to compete August 2-3 at the Colorado Championships. Castelli/Shnapir have registered to compete in the Quebec Summer Championships near Montreal Aug. 8-11.

AFAIK, Lindsay Davis/Rockne Brubaker are scheduled to show their programs in exhibition this weekend at Skate Milwaukee, July 12-13.
  36. figureit

figureit New Member

Heard Scimeca/Knerim's timeline is 4 weeks to competition readiness for FS short has been done with broadmoor with MEGA score! Also Simpson/Blackmer same time.which is way before November but not sure about competing before then. I'm thinking Champs Camp is their fist time for long programs. Denny/Coughlin are August too but not sure how their training is going either. and Castelli/Snapir are August as well and I am most excited about those three teams.
    Davdi/Brubaker from the show they did was not thrilled at all:( but maybe with more time things will rock for them one never knows. Also heard Donlon/Seroff had a rocking short their first go out. Will be an interesting August! Where is Champs Camp? and can anyone watch or do they sell tickets? and is there a link for Davis/Brubacker competition this weekend?
  37. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

He'll be ready in four weeks after a broken bone? That's good news!

Champs Camp in Colorado Springs is not open to the public, but if you have a few extra thousand dollars you can attend!
  38. figureit

figureit New Member

Ah ya no extra thousands of dollars hanging around me...trying to save for Nationals don't want to miss this one.
  39. olympic

Perhaps it was a small bone in his foot and thus not as consequential?
  40. figuresk8302

figuresk8302 New Member

Klopstock and Johnson, who were training under Meno/Sandd have split. He appears to be auditioning for shows and stepping away from competition.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.