US Pairs 2013 News and Updates Part II

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by ~tapdancer~, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Copying over the names of the 20 teams listed in the International Selection Pool from the ISP thread in GSD (2013 Nationals placements included; * indicates they are ISU Junior age-eligible in 2013-14):

Madeline Aaron & Max Settlage* J3
    Kiri Baga & Taylor Toth S8
    Kaitlin Budd & Nikita Cheban* N2
    Jessica Noelle Calalang & Zack Sidhu J2
    Marissa Castelli & Simon Shnapir S1
    Sophia Dai & Jeffrey Fishman* N5
    Brianna de la Mora & Taylor Wilson J5
    Caydee Denney & John Coughlin WD-inj.
    Haven Denney & Brandon Frazier* S5
    Gretchen Donlan & Andrew Speroff S6
    Tarah Kayne & Daniel O’Shea S7
    DeeDee Leng & Timothy LeDuc S9
    Chelsea Liu & Devin Perini* J4
    Jessica Pfund & AJ Reiss J6
    Alexa Scimeca & Christopher Knierim S2
    Britney Simpson & Matthew Blackmer J1
    Aya Takai & Brian Johnson* N4
    Tiffany Vise & Don Baldwin S10
    Christina Zaitsev & Ernie Utah Stevens* N1
    Felicia Zhang & Nathan Bartholomay S3

2. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

I think I remember the Ft. Wayne competition last year. Still, it would behoove US pairs to take advantage of it.

3. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Especially now that the usual venue for the Indy Pairs Challenge will be closed in a couple months. . . (Don't think there was a specific pairs competition last year in Ft Wayne, but there was a pairs camp held in Ft Wayne.)

4. jkl

jkl Well-Known Member

Do you know where Indy Challenge will be held this year?

5. Sylvia

Correct - a USFS pairs camp was held there for the first time last year, not a competition.

The info should show up on the club page soon: http://www.iwsafsc.org/
    "2013 Indy Challenge pairs competition will be held and full information will be posted soon"

6. Sylvia

Tiffany Vise and Don Baldwin have announced their decision to retire from competition - article link is posted here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...l-countries)&p=3892976&viewfull=1#post3892976
    Quote from Tiffany:
    Best wishes to both of them!

7. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

Agreed, best wishes to Tiffany and Don for their future. And this may have been with another partner, but Tiffany's retirement from competition is a good time to remember the historic quad throw.

8. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

The momentous thing about this announcement is that I don't remember a Nationals that I have attended (since 1990) that hasn't had a Baldwin competing. Mr and Mrs. Baldwin Sr. will feel pretty lost, I imagine.

Cross posted from the other thread. More appropriate here.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2013
  9. olympic

^It's odd to retire just before an Olympic season commences. But perhaps it's for the best. IDK, I got the impression watching them compete this past season they weren't really into it whether due to injury or something personal going on.

10. Ageless

Ageless Member

If anyone is interested, Rockne Brubaker and Lindsay Davis are scheduled to appear at the 2013 Oakton Ice Arena Ice Show, 4/26- 4/28, in Park Ridge, IL. Also Ryan Bradley. Here is the link for more information. There is no roster posted on the website, but I was at the rink this morning and confirmed they are planning on being there.

http://www.prparks.org/facilities/oakton-ice-arena

11. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Agreed that Tiffany will always have Paris. . . um, that quad throw, first throw qual sal ratified in int'l competition. It's been a good career for her, even if her partnership with Baldwin may not have lived up to expectations. Tiffany & Don will surely be a big asset to up and coming pairs skaters with all their experience!
    :cheer: I won't be there but someone MUST post pics/impressions/vids/whatever.

12. Sylvia

Castelli/Shnapir went for the throw quad Salchow (8.00 BV) in their World Team Trophy FS earlier today - she rotated it and fell and the element was worth 5.14 points (plus -1 deduction). At Worlds, their throw 2A (4.00 BV) with + GOE received 5.20 points.

Joseph Dolkiewicz, age 20, is now listed on IPS (he and Audrey Goldberg WD from Junior Pairs at Easterns in November 2012). From their Team USA bio: "They were 2010 U.S. intermediate silver medalists and the 2011 U.S. novice bronze medalists ... Started skating together in February 2008."

13. olympic

You know, I watched their video and I had to do a double-take. It only occurred to me afterwards that they went for it, when I noticed there was no throw 2x in their program. LOL

14. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I think that C/S will be lucky to make it in the top 4 next year at Nationals. They got lucky with the 3 teams from last year's podium not being there. K/S have already passed them up i think.

15. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

So did everyone else, and C/S ended up beating all of them. Out of those top 3 teams from 2012, 2 have been gone for good, so they don't affect anything anymore. We can expect D/C to be back to their usual form, but it's probably too early to say what will happen otherwise...The pairs landscape is a little unpredictable. If C/S can land that quad with any sort of regularity (and skate well overall), they would certainly seriously challenge for a US medal and perhaps a top 2 spot. They've made good improvements this past year. Depending on how the other teams end up looking next season, they might not need the quad to medal, just like this year.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2013
  16. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I think they'll get beaten by Scimeca/Knierim and Denney/Coughlin, but they may be able to hold onto 3rd place over Zhang/Bartholomay and Davis/Brubaker (although there's no guarantees of Davis/Brubaker being in the top 4, either, as they haven't competed yet).

17. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Also Denney/Frazier. Dependig on their progress curve, they might be right there in the mix, as well.

18. olympic

I'm actually a little excited for US pairs in the coming years. The pool of talent has started to grow, and out of that pool, odds are that of D/C, S/K, C/S, Z/B, D/F, D/B, K/O, and maybe even L/L and B/T, two teams will probably break out who can compete alongside some of the best in the world. Maybe 3 spots aren't out of the question in the next quadrennial on the road to Pyeongchang once you consider that there will be some retirements at the top post-Sochi.

I'm encouraged that D/C and S/K are going completely outside for their choreography this coming season. PCS are the things holding those 2 pairs back right now. But, I'm also encouraged that C/S are trying to up the ante with a throw quad. Additionally, Z/B, K/O and D/F should be highly motivated in the coming season by skating/scoring so well and medalling at their final international competitions this past season. Then, there is D/B who are already skating publicly at the end of this month. IMO, they must be confident in how they look to do so

19. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

ITA with your assessments olympic. I wonder how the show went with D/B this weekend. Did anyone attend? I know there's another thread here in GSD about the show.

Re US pairs, it will be interesting to see what Marcotte does for D/C. I think C/S did very well with Marcotte's choreo this past season. It will definitely be exciting to see progress/ improvements among U.S. pairs -- and I'm hoping teams stay together and enjoy great success.

20. olympic

My fingers are crossed for D/C to find a look with Marcotte that fits them well.

Here's my wish list for US pairs:

1. D/C - see my comment. Also, I would also like to see Caydee 1) point her toes; 2) show more expression when she skates; 3) work with her team to adapt more flattering lift positions; 4) She and John do a lot of big tricks and are getting better levels, but I'd like to see them go for a 2nd set of triples to be more competitive with those teams towards the top. They are very consistent, so maybe it's time to up the ante.

2. C/S - They've done a good job in the style department that has helped their PCS and they've gained some consistency. They also have decent speed. But, I would like to see 1) another set of triples in the LP (like D/C). They are capable of 3toes and 3sals on a good day, but a 2x-2x would be an improvement; 2) work on a harder throw triple in the LP if the Quad doesn't pan out; 3) they would seem to have the ability to get good levels on the Throw Triple Twist. Sometimes, surprised that it doesn't happen.

3. S/K - Wow. So much potential. They remind me a little of Totmianina / Marinin before they blossomed and it's within their grasp to be the #1 US team. I would like to see them 1) do another set of triples in the LP (C/S, D/C, pattern here?) or even a 2x-2x sequence would be an improvement; 2) keeping up the intensity in the 2nd portion of their programs; 3) Work on their connection to the audience and projecting beyond themselves. Going to MT/M's choreographer is a step in the right direction IMO.

4. Z/B - They seem really motivated based on their performances at the end of the past 2 seasons. I think they need to find a way to skate 'bigger' and 'grander' to become a top US or even world team. Yet another US team with big tricks and good levels. But, I'm not sure how to quantify this - elements just overall need more projection and power. Also, 1) work on the triple twist to get a higher level; 2) get a little more consistent with the Throw 3z; and 3) once again, maybe go for a 2nd set of triples in the LP. They already do 2x-2x seq., and 3toes. Once in a while, the 3toes gets away from them. So, maybe that's a stretch.

5. K/O - Wow. They made a huge jump at Challenge Cup in the Netherlands. But, they also need to 1) lock down the triple twist; and 2) for the time being, just keep doing whatever it is that they are doing. It seems to be coming naturally

6. D/F - World Junior Champs. They have a good connection to each other and sense of style to build on. They just need to 1) maintain their levels throughout big competitions; and 2) build on what they have. They are where they should be at this moment IMO. BTW, I do hope she doesn't outgrow him!

7. D/B - Judgment awaits. Big things are expected from them. It's within the realm of reason that they have an impressive debut. But, I'm sure all the levels won't quite be there their 1st year together. Encouraged that her age, height and consistency (relatively speaking) permit them to go for SBS triples, and opens up a whole world of choreography he couldn't get away with while teamed with MBM and even Keauna. They both have the ability ultimately to do all the big tricks, get great levels, and project to the audience. (I think if D/B and S/K develop, they would be the top US teams)

8. L/L - This team for me is potentially amazing and a potential train wreck at the same time. LOL. He has got the ability to perform like a star, but at times, she seems like she's having trouble keeping up with him. I hope this is an issue of being fairly new. 1) Their Triple Twist is a hot mess. I hope they can sort that out before anything else. 2) They just need to get used to each other. I don't think they should go for anything more ambitious because they already seem to be for a new pair, just let the elements they do fall into place and they will do quite well... as long as they stay together.

21. Sylvia

New Scimeca/Knierim article: http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130429&content_id=46111524&vkey=ice_news

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  22. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

They should definitely take the ballet and try the ballroom too if they can fit both into their schedule. Ballet training can only help any skaters in their on-ice presentation.

S/K's new programs sound delightful ... good luck to them.

23. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

24. shan

shan Well-Known Member

25. Sylvia

Donlan/Speroff's new exhibition is to "Bridge Over Troubled Water" - links to videos, photos and an article (excerpted below) are posted in the "Ice Chips" show thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...w-Apr-13-and-14-guest-starring-the-Shibutanis
    An update on Madeline Aaron/Max Settlage (2013 Junior Pairs bronze medalists) was published in the 4/16 "Inside Edge" blog (scroll down to "Sharpies"): http://web.icenetwork.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20130416&content_id=44926850&vkey=ice_news
    Excerpt:

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  26. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

I cannot wait to see D&S's programs. They're just so exquisite and I love them even more now that I know they're fans of Elena & Anton.

I hope to see them break through and make some major teams, but even if they don't, they'll still be the prettiest American team out there.

27. elka_sk8

elka_sk8 Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing! Have always liked this pair and would like to see them move up. :lol: at Donlan's response about carrots.

28. Sylvia

Here's the link to the separate thread I started in GSD: Becky Bereswill & Joshua Reagan join a growing pairs program at Detroit SC

And here's the link to the D/C update article thread in GSD: Denney & Coughlin reveal their 2013-14 programs choreographed by Julie Marcotte

If anyone missed watching, the link to videos of Lindsay Davis/Rockne Brubaker's public debut in a Chicago area show is posted here: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...dge-Illinois&p=3912597&viewfull=1#post3912597

ETA: It looks like several Senior pair teams will compete at the inaugural Fort Wayne Pair Classic in Indiana on June 7-8 in conjunction with attending the national pairs camp. So far I know of Donlan/Speroff, Kayne/O'Shea, Baga/Toth and Shaughnessy/Morgan (up from Jr.).

Last edited: May 3, 2013
  29. reese

reese Well-Known Member

It'll be nice to see Shaughnessy/Morgan up in Seniors. I've liked them for a few years. They lack power and speed, but are wonderfully matched and elegant.

30. olympic

IDK. I don't think 'trying too hard' was the problem, and 'polishing' or 'details' aren't the solution. They need to overcome their fears and consistently land the basic big elements, especially her (throws; SBS jumps). With an increase in the potential for good US teams, they'll slide down the ladder at Nationals and never get close to the podium if they don't straighten out their SBS jumps and stay consistent on their throws. I know they have their fans and I hope I'm not offending anyone, but I find the fact she has trouble landing a 2x very frustrating.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.