US Pairs 2013 News and Updates Part II

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by ~tapdancer~, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

D/C were not just '8th two years ago' but relevant this year and last'. It's not like Z/B were the national champs this year; they barely beat the 3rd place team with the two best programs they've ever done. They finished behind D/C all year.

Z/B and D/C have both been together since 2011 yet D/C have already been national champs, 5x grand prix medal winners and 4C silver medalists.

Z/B have beat D/C by .29 points at this year's nationals....they have one national bronze and no international medals.

That's probably what prompted the tweet not to be surprised at who's going to the Olympics. It would be nice if the world was "fair" but they will sent whoever they think will win the most medals for the USA end of story. It may be Z/B it may not. Either way both team can certainly stay until 2018.

RFOS and (deleted member) like this.
  2. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

That's due to her ballet training...love her! :)

3. bronwynsings

bronwynsings Active Member

I'm still thrilled that Marissa and Simon defended their title, though, they're my favorite US pair team and I loooooove their Bond program. :)

4. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

I believe Kiri chose to end the partnership because she prefers singles to pairs.

5. Blondie12

Blondie12 New Member

If DC get it, if I were Rochne and McLaughlin, I would be upset. In 2010, They were even on the Olympic posters yet they had a bad nationals and did not make the team. Why is DC different from them? If you did not do it for R&M, why do it now?

6. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

But they were 5th that year, weren't they? They didn't only just miss out.

7. jiejie

jiejie Active Member

I'd send C/S and D/C to the Olympics. Take all the season's showings into account and no way does Z/B stack up over D/C. And I say this as somebody who likes Z/B's programs and skating and dislikes that of D/C. But like or dislike, D/C simply have a better chance of placing well, probably top 8. If Z/B go, I foresee them ending up no better than placement 12-15.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  8. figureit

figureit Member

True they will be 12-15 on an International stage. Look at Worlds last year S/K mushed C/S because of the look and artistry alone. International judging is totally different than US judging. C/S did a horrible FS program embarrassing and their "short (spin off the ice two foot landing of the sal?) clean" scores not well internationally cause it is easy big throw sal but usually two footed and spin/jump issues. D/C are consistent, experienced, and better liked on that stage...apparently S/K too 9th in the World for a reason...even with mistakes in the short S/K Internationally could beat C/S or Z/B just because of that style. D/C because of known factor and consistency.

Z/B are a team like D/C they will get there but there is not that special factor between them they are like brother and sister and their track record this year has been disastrous. They can skate clean but style artistry love looks line...that the International stage is looking for even lights out it is not there all though they are fun and exciting and can be clean or can be totally off depending but are kind of blocky. D/C are more liked and have what the International judges believe have paid their dues on an International stage already. Also no ones talked about the spots for pairs we need to hang on to.

9. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

C/S and Z/B are the Olympic team!!

10. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

11. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Yay:cheer: for Z/B:cheer2:

12. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:cheer2: Zhang/Bartholomay and Castelli/Shnapir

:( for Denney/Coughlin

I forgot about Scimeca/Knierem until someone mentioned them in a previous post. Coming in to Nats, I thought they would make the team, but after the SP... Hopefully they will continue to get stronger and keep competing. They have so much potential.

13. julieann

I hope C/S are up to the challenge of performing all four programs because Z/B won't come close to getting the US team to a medal with a personal best of 55.83 sp, 114.32 fs and 168.42 total.

Z/B won't crack the top 10 in the individuals but the federation should have thought about the team more when selecting the team.

14. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

I'm glad that the Olympic Team was chosen fair & square by Nationals Results, as it has always been done so in the past. This is what makes me proud to be an American because we go by the RESULTS, nothing else, we are a FAIR country. This is what sets us apart from all the rest. jmho.

15. julieann

Tell that to Mirai....I think she's an American...

16. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

The rest of the world is corrupt then? And I thought you've been going on and on about how Mirai wasn't chosen because she's Asian, and that the USFSA is racist?!

:confused:

17. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

Canada was quite fair in picking their team. No surprises. They went with the medalists.

18. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

If they went by nationals results only for ladies they would be ignoring published selection criteria. If you compare the podium to the criteria for pairs there was no reason to deviate. D/C were greatly hurt by not competing last season.

19. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Onto slightly more quantifiable problems, one of the issues with Z/B that stood out negatively was their lack of ice coverage in the long. They almost never got near the corners of the rink, nor were they particularly fast. Am sure Peterson is a smart coach and will eventually have them fix these issues in time, but as of right now, I think this is something that will hurt their PCS scores internationally. They did everything cleanly in both program, though, and it's hard to argue with how well they skated in Boston.

gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Iluvid

Iluvid New Member

Outraged that Denny and Coughlin weren't chosen! This committee wasn't thinking about the team event obviously! One good skate from the other team doesn't mean they'll do it on the big stage.

21. lauren329

lauren329 Active Member

Castelli & Shnapir more than earned the right to compete both programs in the team event if they feel up to it. They are head and shoulders above D/C, S/K and Z/B in terms of choreo, interpretation, transitions etc. While they don't sell a true love vibe, their skating has a mature, refined quality and they were completely in the moment relating to one another at every move in their FS this weekend.

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  22. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

Completely agree.. The PCS given to D/C are a joke when compared to what C/S have received for their programs that have so much more detail and refinement. Julie Marcotte is amazing with C/S..

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  23. julieann

Maybe the committee already decided to send two dance teams to the team competition and who they sent for pairs didn't matter.

24. figureit

figureit Member

We obviously were watching different longs? so many errors in their long it was nuts! and with a super clean lights out long at Worlds last year where did they place?? oh ya for the first time in years the Nationals champs were beat horribly at World's by the silver medalists?

So the above is so off but to each his own we shall see when they make these errors against China and Russia and the Germans. Why do you think D/C are going to World's? and if they could send S/K they would. TO gain a spot for the US they could send D/C and S/K 9th in the world and probably bring three spots for 2015 with Z/B and C/S they will loose and only get one. I could be wrong but it has been proven. So at the Olympics if we get 15th and 17th we'll be lucky and that is sooooo sad:(

but their long at Nationals 2014 was horrific. They don't just not sell a love vibe but no vibe. Sad:(

25. PairSk8Fan

PairSk8Fan Banned Member

Castelli and Shnapir are not that good at everything except for a few technical elements because it is obvious they hate each other. Simon has barely concealed indifference to her and she looks like she is out there for herself.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  26. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

I really expected D/C to be named because of the team event. But when they made the announcement, the federation said the team event was not even considered in picking the Oly team because it wasn't part of the published criteria! Which makes no sense. Does that mean the federation doesn't care about winning a team medal? Or that they just couldn't be bothered to update the previous criteria to reflect the new team event? It's insanity IMO, just a further example of this federation's incompetence.

27. lauren329

lauren329 Active Member

I watched their long from the 2nd row of the td garden and stand by everything I posted about it. They had mistakes but sold the hell out of every second. They also did the best spins of their career. And had a well deserved lead from their out of this world short. S/K had a perfect free and still were about 9 points behind c&s in the free alone so your argument that they really wanted to send S/K is unfounded. They didn't even have the judges try to keep them in it. And I like S/K and thought they were underscored in the free.

D&C were vastly inflated in both programs- Nate and Felicia should won the free. The fact that they kept it together and knocked it out of the park after the roof was blown off the building for Marissa and Simon (literally deafening screaming after the program and the score and having to warm up as flowers and animals were being hauled at the ice for 5 minutes) shows me they are steely competitors.

28. PairSk8Fan

PairSk8Fan Banned Member

I completely disagree. One thing that is obvious in their skating is how much they do not like one another. Their interpretation, choreography and transitions are actually at a Junior level, particularly when you compare it to, let's say, V/T or P/T or S/S who are this team's competition at Worlds.

C/S do not even belong in the same competition as V/T; K/S; P/T; S/S or even the Canadian teams. SorryBoutIt.

29. Dave of the North

Dave of the North Well-Known Member

Random thought: NAFTA (North American Free Trade Agreement) should be invoked and the US and Canada do some pair trading: Margaret Purdy should partner with Shnapir; and Castelli with Michael Marinaro. Workable height differences result...

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  30. Spiralgraph

Spiralgraph Active Member

I agree with you but Lauren wasn't comparing C/S to V/T; K/S; S/S or any other team from another country. Lauren was comparing C/S to pairs from the USA.

I think Marissa and Simon's SP was the best of the evening, and they have improved their pairness and overall look. But to say they are on the same level as the top teams at the World Championships is another matter entirely. My crystal ball is on the blink, but it's only a small chance that C/S or Z/B will be better than eighth at the Olympics. If both American teams skate their best I'll be satisfied no matter what their final placements are.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.