US Pairs 2013 News and Updates Part II

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by ~tapdancer~, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Re-posting what I posted over in the K&C just now (copied & pasted):

There's so much skating I honestly cannot keep track of it all! :eek: I know I would like to see Rachael Flatt skate at Sectionals on IN, but then again I would also like to see Donlan & Speroff skate at their Sr. B competition, which I think takes place this week as well? :confused: Furthermore, there's Rostelecom Cup going on at the same time, I just cannot watch them all, especially when they're not compatible with the things I'm doing, otherwise I miss out. :( And to tell the truth I don't like to catch it later on at IN, rather I'd like to watch it live. :)

Decisions, decisions, decisions... :slinkaway: :drama:

PS: Denney & Coughlin were AWESOME at TEB (their lifts out of this world)! :smokin:

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

2013 Novice champs Christina Zaitsev/Ernie Utah Stevens (a.k.a. here as "Divette/Utah") have withdrawn officially from the Midwestern Sectional Junior Pairs event. :( He (@EUStevens) tweeted last night:
    Sophia Dai/Jeffery Fishman (5th in Novice at 2013 Nationals) have also WD from Mids Jr. Pairs.

ETA:
    Re-posting the updated Sectional rosters now that the starting orders are published (competition dates are Nov. 20-23, 2013); adding Intermediate & Juvenile:

SENIOR
    Eastern: Shaughnessy/Morgan plan to skate their programs as an exhibition.
    Midwestern: no event held
    Pacific (2): Calalang/Sidhu, Pfund/Reiss

JUNIOR
    Eastern: no event held
    Elected not to compete if 4 or fewer, I assume: Oltmanns/Santillan (or Pacifics?), McDougal/Schatz, Fujimoto/Barsi-Rhyne (or Pacifics?)

Midwestern (4): Madeline Aaron/Max Settlage, Kaitlin Budd/Nikita Cheban, Brianna de la Mora/Taylor Wilson, Aya Takai/Brian Johnson
    [WD: Sophia Dai/Jeffrey Fishman, Christina Zaitsev/Ernie Utah Stevens]

Pacific (2): Elise Middleton/Anthony Evans, AnnaMarie Pearce/Jason Pacini
    Elected not to compete if 4 or fewer: Liu/Perini

NOVICE
    Eastern (7): Darbie Burke/Griffin Schwab, Cirinia Gillett/Maximiliano Fernandez, Grace Knoop/Noah Chinault, Nicole Lee/Timothy Habeeb, Victoria LoRusso/Brandon Kozlowski, Gabriella Marvaldi/Cody Dolkiewicz, Joy Weinberg/Michael Lueck

Midwestern (6): Hilary Asher/Luke Kirchgessner, Madeleine Gallagher/Jonathon Horton, Linde LaChance/Kenneth Anderson, Kailey Matkin/Justin Highgate-Brutman, Macy Peterson/Daniel Arsenault, Lindsay Weinstein/Jacob Simon
    [WD: Alicia Bertsch/Austin Hale]

Pacific (9): Katie Dano/Lyle Kosinski, Juliette Erickson/Alexander Brauner, Breanna Harris/Nathan Grundhofer, Reagan King/Rique Newby-Estrella, Jessica Lee/Robert Hennings, Aditya Nandy/Ananya Nandy, Annabelle Schneider-Farris/Joel Schneider-Farris, Ai Setoyama/David Botero, Alexandria Yao/Connor Fleming

INTERMEDIATE
    Eastern (6): Chelsea Allen/Davis Kim, Sydney Cooke/Nathaniel Dennler, Joanna Hubbart/William Hubbart, Annabel Kim/Jonathan Kim, Sabrina Piliero/Davis Tong, Maxine Weatherby/Mickey Sinthawachiwa

Midwestern (7): Remington Bennett/Jacob Nussle, Kate Finster/Joseph Goodpaster, Cate Hawkins/Eric Hartley, Taylor HliebayJacob Schenten, Sophia Pearson/Keenan Prochnow, Jacqueline Tu/Alex Magnuson, Reaghn Yack/Kristofer Ogren

Pacific (4): Hannah Eby/Logan Weaver, Megan Griffin/Andrew Civiello, Lynzee Moore/Matthew Rounis, Alexandria Schmainda/Matthew Scoralle

JUVENILE
    Eastern (7): Jaclyn Bozzetti/Steven Rossi, Katrina Copeland/Tyler Copeland, Jade Esposito/Rensing Nathan, Anastasia Lestina/Benjamin McLemore, Ellie McClellan/Jim Garbutt, Carlie Quesada/Adrian Shin, Sarah Rose/Tommy-Jo Nyman

Midwestern (7): Calista Falcone/Andrew Wagner, Katherina Frantz/Nicolas Frantz, Kristin Lyle George/Jake Pagano, Olivia Mihelick/Levon Davis, Danielle Neuberger/Kristion Major, Pelagia Pamel/Keyton Bearinger, Sammy Parks/Devin Pascoe

Pacific (9): Carolyn Bartel/Alfred Bartel, Greta Crafoord/John Crafoord, Jasmine Fendi/Joshua Fendi, Nozomi Halberg/Ryan Waner, Ainsley Peterson/Carson Leckenby, Altice Sollazo/Paul Yeung, Megan Stenman/Albert Zeng, Cecilia Wright/William Wright, Megan Yeh/Callen Zadrozny

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  3. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

:wuzrobbed Alicia/Austin at mids! They train at my club. . . I know she's been struggling with various injuries for a while now (and has grown a few inches, which means a lot of tough adjustments!). Let's hope she can heal well and they'll come back stronger next year.

4. PairSk8Fan

PairSk8Fan Banned Member

Denney and Coughlin were, IMHO, undermarked in PCS at TEB.

They can achieve the highest technical scores of the entire competition (in GP events), but they really have no chance to ever win due to PCS being relatively so low.

I also feel their GOE is undermarked relative to the other teams. V/T earn up to 20 points per FS on GOE, while D/C can get, what? 6-10?

It seems to be a shame. They do all the hard elements and do them well, but never have a chane to win or even come close to a world/Olympic medal.

Why? Is is John and his poor extensions, posture and lack of visible dance training? Caydee? Both? Their coach? PolitiKs?

I am at a loss to explain it. Ideas?

5. nlyoung

nlyoung Active Member

They have strong elements which they get credit for but very little in between...

6. flyingsit

flyingsit Well-Known Member

And scratchy skating, oftentimes clunky landings on throws, poor positions in lifts and death spirals...
    They do have a spectacular twist, and John is very solid with his lift technique.

7. valyrian

valyrian New Member

I'd say that has something to do with it. Next time you watch D/C, watch their feet. They rarely get on one foot and their edges are weak. Their transitions are very poor. Most of the time I would say they're overscored on PCS.

8. reese

reese Well-Known Member

^ Agree. If PCS were judged correctly, they should be getting 5.75s.

9. Sylvia

@TarahKayne tweeted:
    Ice Challenge Senior Pairs SP is scheduled to begin tomorrow (Friday) at 18:15 in Graz (12:15 pm Eastern). Donlan/Speroff skate 3rd and Kayne/O'Shea 6th of the 6 pairs in tomorrow's SP. Link to the live stream is posted in the TV Alerts forum: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...e-stream-of-2013-Ice-Challenge-(Graz-Austria)

Last edited: Nov 22, 2013
  10. Sylvia

11/18 Journal entry by Scimeca/Knierim before they left for Moscow: http://figureskatersonline.com/scimeca-knierim/journal/

Two tweeted pics by Alexa & Chris who were sightseeing in Moscow yesterday:
    ETA that the Rostelecom Cup Pairs SP is Friday 11/22 starting at 7:40 am Eastern time (Davis/Brubaker skate #2 and Scimeca/Knierim #4 in the first group).

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  11. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Their unison is often bad, too. I remember being quite stunned seeing, live, at Skate America, how out of unison their jumps were.

12. NadineWhite

Man o man, there's so much skating going on tomorrow I'm really trying to figure it all out in time to watch them all tomorrow. *biting fingernails*

Totally forgot about Rostelecom Cup going on at the same time. Want to watch the American pairs there, as well as the two pairs at the Senior B competition as well...

13. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Rostelecom will be over tomorrow before the pairs skating starts in Graz at 2:15 (Eastern).

14. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

I don't think the problem is John, since Yankauskas & Coughlin finished as high as 6th at Worlds. Some of the problem is they both behave like they totally hate the music they skate to competitively. They were having fun & were fun to watch doing Save A horse Ride a Cowboy. I think they might be able to skate to something humorous or whimsical (likie M-T/M's Micmacs music)_ and score significantly better in PCS.

15. NadineWhite

Yeah, but there's other skating going on as well, and then there's my yoga, et al, and some of the times listed are way way early for me in the PNW. :eek:

I love skating, period, so will try to figure something out. :D

And GOOD LUCK to everyone else, hope you're all able to watch as well! :)

16. NadineWhite

OMG, what fun it was to watch American Pairs' Skating this AM, just a bountiful of riches! :encore:

Here are my impressions:

Davis & Brubaker ~ I'm surprised (& disappointed) that they seem to be having problems with consistency every time out. :( Seriously, I thought when they first got together they would be phenomenal because they could land the jumps, but alas the jumps seem to be MIA. However, I think it's too much to ask so soon their first season, give them a couple more seasons together and I can see them on the top of the podium at Nationals, but not now, which is a shame because I think Rockne so wants to make that Olympic Team. :(

Scimeca & Knierim ~ easy to see the promise in them, which they have already realized their first season together by capturing that silver medal at Nationals. :cool: However, their romance both on & off the ice seems to have cooled since then and it's affecting their skating a bit, as well as Chris's ankle injury earlier this season. Still, if they can put any negative feelings aside and just skate the way they know how to, I can easily see them capturing that silver medal again at Nationals. :)

Donlan & Speroff ~ Gretchen shocked me (& Sylvia) by doing the best ever sbs 3T she's ever done before. :cool: Still, I thought their big split 3twist was a tad bit crashy upon landing, and unfortunately Gretchen came down on two feet when landing the throw 3S. However, I don't know if it's my imagination but they *seem* to be getting stronger as the season goes on... Hmmm, methinks capturing their first ever gold medal at Ondrej Nepela Memorial last month has something to do with it. ;)

Kayne & O'Shea ~ WOW, very impressed with them, they have it all just like D&S, however today she UR her sbs 3S (usually Gretchen's the one that does, lol) and their split 3twist is not as big as D&S's, but loved the landing on the throw 3R and also love James Bond. :smokin:

http://new.livestream.com/accounts/1743329/events/2546284

17. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I was surprised that Kayne and O'Shea beat Donlan and Speroff on PCS. The former seem sloppier everywhere, buy maybe faster?

18. Sylvia

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  19. PairSk8Fan

PairSk8Fan Banned Member

In watching Alexa and Chris at CoR this week, I think what could be improved to increase their scores, particularly the PCS, is to match the overall line and look of his skating to her skating. Alexa has beautiful positions and carriage and use of her arms and head. He is physically well matched to her and is very strong and a solid skater. However, they look a bit mismatched in that often she looks gorgeous and he looks awkward.

He should take more ballet class or dance class with her, or do their choreography more often in front of a mirror more then an hour or two a week to work on matching the head, neck, shoulder and arm lines, as well as the leg extensions and lines. This should translate to better PCS.

Jem X and (deleted member) like this.
  20. NadineWhite

Gretchen Donlan & Andrew Speroff just now won their second G O L D medal!!! :) :encore: :cheer2: :40beers:

Here's what I typed in the K&C a moment ago (copied & pasted):

OMG, that's probably the BEST I've ever seen them skate!!!! :kickass::cheer2::encore::biggrinbo:

She landed both throws beautifully and they did the sbs triple jumps, I'm gonna cry with joy, btw the whole time I was practicing my yoga breathing technique, la verdad, lol. :D :)

21. Sylvia

Scores are hearsay/not yet official - Donlan/Speroff 162.59(?) win the gold and Kayne/O'Shea 157.65(?) the bronze in Graz. :cool:

ETA:
    Scimeca/Knierim improved their ISU SB score to 173.70 (from 161.72 at Cup of China), also a new ISU PB along with SP (59.56), in finishing 6th at Rostelecom Cup; Davis/Brubaker were 7th with 151.90.

(I will update the international scores list as soon as the Ice Challenge/Graz official results are published.)

ETA:
    Senior international scores so far this season (after Rostelecom Cup/Ice Challenge):

188.47 Denney/Coughlin (61.66 SP, 126.81 FS; Salt Lake, 2nd)
    184.01 Denney/Coughlin (63.52 SP, 120.49 FS; TEB, 3rd)
    182.43 Denney/Coughlin (62.06 SP, 120.37 FS; Skate America, 4th)
    177.11 Castelli/Shnapir (62.56 SP, 114.55 FS; Skate America, 6th)
    173.70 Scimeca/Knierim (59.56 SP, 114.14 FS; Rostelecom Cup, 6th)
    168.89 Castelli/Shnapir (58.60 SP, 110.29 FS; NHK Trophy, 4th)
    168.42 Zhang/Bartholomay (55.83 SP, 112.59 FS; Skate America, 7th)
    167.85 Denney/Frazier (58.67 SP, 109.18 FS; NHK Trophy, 5th)
    167.27 Kayne/O'Shea (60.31 SP, 106.96 FS; Salt Lake, 3rd)
    165.91 Castelli/Shnapir (62.26 SP, 103.65 FS; Salt Lake, 4th)
    162.59 Donlan/Speroff (56.03 SP, 106.56 FS; Ice Challenge, 1st)
    161.72 Scimeca/Knierim (57.99 SP, 103.73 FS; Cup of China, 5th)
    160.19 Donlan/Speroff (56.63 SP, 103.56 FS; Nepela, 1st)
    158.82 Denney/Frazier (55.01 SP, 103.82 FS; Skate Canada, 5th)
    157.65 Kayne/O'Shea (53.97 SP, 103.68 FS; Ice Challenge, 3rd)
    157.28 Calalang/Sidhu (51.94 SP, 105.34 FS; Coupe de Nice, 2nd)
    156.91 Davis/Brubaker (54.04 SP, 102.87 FS; Nebelhorn, 5th)
    155.52 Zhang/Bartholomay (50.33 SP, 105.19 FS; Cup of China, 6th)
    153.71 Davis/Brubaker (52.69 SP, 101.02 FS; Skate Canada, 6th)
    153.34 Scimeca/Knierim (51.17 SP, 102.17 FS; Nepela, 3rd)
    151.90 Davis/Brubaker (51.59 SP, 100.31 FS; Rostelecom Cup, 7th)
    142.48 Denney/Frazier (48.71 SP, 93.77 FS; Nepela, 4th)
    141.01 Leng/LeDuc (57.95 SP, 83.06 FS; Coupe de Nice, 6th)
    130.20 Zhang/Bartholomay (50.23 SP, 79.97 FS; Salt Lake, 7th)

International medal count: 1 Grand Prix bronze (Denney/Coughlin), 2 Senior B golds (both by Donlan/Speroff), 2 Senior B silvers (Denney/Coughlin, Calalang/Sidhu), 3 Senior B bronzes (2 by Kayne/O'Shea, 1 by Scimeca/Knierim); 1 JGP silver (Aaron/Settlage).

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
  22. lauren329

lauren329 Active Member

Thrilled for Gretchen and Andrew. Hope this builds their confidence going forward. There's no reason they can't contend on the GP and at nationals next season.

Nationals is shaping to be quite the dogfight for the second spot between C&S and S&K, which is a bummer since I was hoping they would both make it.

23. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Congrats to Donlan/Speroff and Kayne/O'Shea!!! :cheer2:

24. chachacha

chachacha Member

Nice to see Andrew and Gretchen really skating to their full potential:). They will be a top team in the future for sure. I don't think there is going to be a dog fight for the second spot for the Olympic Team. Marissa and Simon will be on that team. Figure Skating is unlike other sports, and politics is a BIG part, not to mention, Marissa and Simon have experience and when they skate clean, have the PCS scores to match, I am just being realistic and it's just an opinion. The upside is that US Pairs will have some talent coming up over the next few years so long as all the teams stay together.

25. her grace

her grace Well-Known Member

There have been surprises in who made the U.S. pair team the last few Olympics, so I think it's incredibly realistic to expect a dogfight this year. Who would have guessed that Evora/Ladwig would defeat McLaughlin/Brubaker and Inoue/Baldwin?

This year there's a lot of closely matched teams, and it should be an exciting competition!

26. chachacha

chachacha Member

I agree it will be an exciting competition indeed. Regardless it's nice to see the USA has a nice pool of talented teams.

27. lauren329

lauren329 Active Member

As a big C/S fan, I hope you're right. I'm just not exactly sure how much political support there is for C/S over S/K, who beat them pretty decisively at Worlds, in the FS last year at Nats and have that more classic pair look to them. C&S will have deservedly high PCS if they are clean but them going clean is the exception, not the norm. They also have the benefit of being reigning National Champs skating in their hometown in Boston but with that comes added pressure too. I do think if they are relatively clean (i.e. they can probably afford Simon stepping out of a SBS jump or out of unison spins) and hit the quad, the Boston crowd will go insane and they'll get the Olympic berth.

Of course, if I were judging, D/C would be so far behind C/S, S/K, D/S and even D/F in Choreography and Interpretation, they would not even be in the conversation and C/S and S/K would be the Olympic team. ;)

28. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

Scimeca/Knierim seem to be getting back to their normal selves. That was a pretty strong LP in Russia, and their total score surpassed their solid score from Worlds by a tiny bit. They still have a couple kinks to work out, but their throws look back to normal now (generally quite great), and it was nice to see him get back to landing a 3S in competition again (with a hand down, but still). While their leg lines are generally well matched with nice extension, sometimes his arms get a little sloppy, but I think that could be cleaned up a bit before Nationals. I realize it probably hasn't been a main focus as he's been trying to get back up to speed after the injury though. Overall, I'm quite impressed by them.

S/K were already serious challengers to Castelli/Shnapir last year, so no reason why they wouldn't be this year either. I'm not sure why anyone would consider C/S a lock. Both teams are pretty strong in their own ways. C/S are in better shape this year than they were last year with the throw 4S instead of the 2A and the increased lift difficulty (lifts are very well done), but we'll have to see what they do with the SBS jumps. They're probably not going to want the opening jumping pass of their LP to be 2T-2T. I think S/K with a couple little mistakes would beat C/S with a couple little mistakes head to head, but it's hard to say for sure.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013
  29. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Good Assessment - I agree that S/K's fall season was all about 'getting back on their feet' … no pun intended. I reiterate that they are my favorite US team right now because I see them with the most potential. There is just 'something there' about their skating even if they need to work on a few things. The twist and the throws are Chinese - German - Russian level IMO and I was very happy for them at RC. Their placement belies their score which as you state is a PB.

One dark cloud about US pairs in general: While they have been slowly, almost painfully, improving. The rest of the elite pairs skating world is improving more steadily and faster - more and more pairs are reaching or flirting w/ 200 points and just as another example, B/H from Italy were beaten at Worlds '13 by S/K but now they have shot ahead scoring a GP win and 190 points. The Canadian teams are doing quite well, the Chinese are back and the Russians are developing incredible depth in the teams ranked no. 3 - 5. It means that the hard work of US pairs will probably not get noticed very much by the casual observer.

I think one obvious technical issue for US pairs continues to be the SBS jumps. US teams seem to hit a brick wall there, in that they can't do 2 sets of SBS triples w/ one in combo. Our top teams are stuck doing SBS 2x's which is turning into a relic of the past or attempting SBS triples and either doubling or splatting. Good progress has been made on most everything else, though such as throws, twists, and levels on non-jump elements (for the most part).

The other issue is PCS - the US top team (D/C) have made wonderful improvements and are working hard, but still lack that natural ease of movement that sends other elite teams over the top toward that magical 190 - 200 point range (I still totally respect all their efforts on PCS, though).

I hope US teams continue the hard work and as has been mentioned before, they learn to stay together and DEVELOP. Perhaps it will all come together some day

30. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Who does Canada have that is better than the US teams besides MT/M and D/R though? I haven't seen Purich/Tran yet- what are their prospects like? For China, I can't imagine Pang/Tong will keep going after this season, but Peng/Zhang probably will, and Sui/Han are doing decently also.

Will Volosozhar/Trankov and Savchenko/Szolkowy retire after this year?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.