US Pairs 2013 News and Updates Part II

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by ~tapdancer~, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

^Point taken. I was sexist w/o even realizing it
  2. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Nice feature on Boston University's Jimmy Morgan (of Shaughnessy/Morgan): http://www.bu.edu/today/2013/a-dream-come-true/
    Excerpt:
    As mentioned in the excerpt above, Morgan is also starring in his own "The Social Athlete – An Inside Look At The U.S. Championships" blog on the event site: http://www.boston2014.com/category/the-social-athlete/
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  3. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Morgan is so great on twitter. He and Shaughnessy seem to have a great relationship and a really healthy skating/off-ice balance. I wish them the best.
  4. hippychick

hippychick New Member

5. reese

reese Well-Known Member

^^ :)

shan and (deleted member) like this.
  6. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Something to look forward to in the next few years, and hopefully Worlds in Boston in 2016 :)
  7. TanithandBenFan

TanithandBenFan U.S. Ice Dance Junkie

Reminder that Marissa and Simon will be skating on the TODAY show on Christmas morning (they taped the segment a couple of weeks ago).
  8. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Nice post. Thanks!
  9. Sylvia

10. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Some interesting spin from Mama Scimeca there! It's hard for teams that don't date because they can't fight about their bad practice in the car on the way home. Or something.

Also, no U.S. pair team has ever won an Olympic medal. :rofl:
  11. Sylvia

I just assumed the guy left off the "in 20 years" part of the script. ;)

ETA: Whoops, make that in "16 years." Sorry Watson/Oppegard!
  12. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Per usual so many ups & down in the world of pairs skating. :) That said, I'm really glad that Mary Beth Marley has decided to return to pairs skating. Imho she left too young, but wisely did so on her own terms, and on those same terms I'm hoping she comes back rejuvenated, refreshed, older, wiser, and ready to rock! :respec:

And it sounds like everybody is gearing up for Nationals naturally, and with that comes the hype machine, lol. To be expected, but in the back of my mind I sometimes wonder if there is a parent or relative doing the hyping, always remembering the situation of Jennifer Kirk's mom...

My only hope is that everybody's skates their best and may the chips fall where they may. After all the best competitions are when everybody skates their best and you win. :)
  13. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Good interview. First of all, if Brandon Frazier is a 'broooh', Chris Knierim is a 'doood'. But seriously, I'm thrilled to hear that they are going for 2018 regardless of what happens this year. They also sound like they have their heads screwed on straight and are realistic about their chances.
  14. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Active Member

Yeah, Chris is funny, definitely "the dude" in the pair as you say. :) Good interview. Glad to hear they are already committed to 2018, I think they are the first U.S. pair to come out and say that, right?? And yes, they seem to have a very clear-eyed view of where they're at and what their potential is, which is great.
  15. hippychick

hippychick New Member

According to the interview from Donlan and Speroff above they are also staying in after this season. Hope it is for another four years!
  16. lauren329

lauren329 Member

Excited for Boston Worlds for many reasons but a big one is that it will be a huge incentive for C/S & D/S to stick around even if they're unsure about 2018.
  17. figureit

figureit New Member

I think the news guy meant meant no US team has won gold in pairs at the olympics because this team seems to have that as a goal for 2018. I am not sure about the history though has a US Pair team every won a gold medal in pairs??? Does anyone know?
  18. Sylvia

No, just 3 Olympic silvers since 1908: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Olympic_medalists_in_figure_skating#Pairs
    1932 - Beatrix Loughran and Sherwin Badger (USA)
    1952 - Karol Kennedy and Peter Kennedy (USA)
    1984 - Kitty Carruthers and Peter Carruthers (USA)

2 Olympic bronzes:
    1960 - Nancy Ludington and Ronald Ludington (USA)
    1988 - Jill Watson and Peter Oppegard (USA)
  19. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

26 years since Watson/Oppegard medaled. ;)

I hope Scimeca/Knierim make the Olys! Actually, I wish we had 3 spots so C/S, D/S, and S/K could all go. :)
  20. NadineWhite

Was about to turn my computer off and go enjoy the rest of this beautiful Christmas Day, then tada the TODAY show came on and there was Marissa & Simon! :) They came on at approximately 8:35AM PST. They skated to "Santa Claus is Coming to Town" and did a bunch of beautiful lifts, one the headbanger! :watch: And I had to LOL when Simon picked up the newscaster and skated around the ice with her. :D

GOOOOOOOOOOOO MARISSA & SIMON, MAKE THE OLYMPIC TEAM!!!! :kickass:
  21. Sylvia

Link: http://today.com/sochi/olympic-ice-skating-pair-ready-sochi-2D11803331

Scimeca/Knierim's journal entry written on Christmas Day: http://figureskatersonline.com/scimeca-knierim/journal/
    Photo of the Vail show cast (iS/K & Aaron/Settlage were the 2 pairs): http://pic.twitter.com/xeabexAQBx
  22. Sylvia

23. dardar1126

dardar1126 Well-Known Member

Twitter:

Reporter talks to Simon and Marissa.
  24. Sylvia

Local Florida TV news report on the same topic: http://www.abcactionnews.com/dpp/ne...-feel-safe-and-continue-to-train-for-olympics
  25. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Is there an updated list of competitors in each discipline? The U.S. fed, IN, and event websites are not easy to navigate.
  26. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

27. Bronxfan

Bronxfan Active Member

I may have missed this, but why are Zaitsev and Stevens not skating at Nationals - I don't see their names on the roster.
  28. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

The sectionals thread said they withdrew, but no more information.
  29. Bronxfan

Bronxfan Active Member

Thank you for the quick reply - too bad about Zaitsev and Stevens.
  30. Stephanie

Stephanie Well-Known Member

I believe both Zaitsev and Stevens were dealing with injuries.
  31. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Nationals isn't the same without Divette. I believe she and Stevens are still together though; just healing some injuries and aiming for 2018. I always liked them together, but worried he was just a placeholder for her. It looks like they are sticking it out though, so that's encouraging.
    rfisher and (deleted member) like this.
  32. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that Zaitsev and Stevens are dealing with injuries. Had they been planning to compete in Junior pairs at Nationals this season?
  33. reese

reese Well-Known Member

Yes, they entered Mids as juniors but withdrew the day before the SP.
  34. NadineWhite

35. Squeeky

Squeeky New Member

I'm sure I am missing something, but is there a reason Kiri Baga and Taylor Toth aren't competing this year? I didn't see any news of a breakup, are they dealing with injuries?
  36. reese

reese Well-Known Member

The split this past summer. Kiri is competing in senior ladies in Boston. Don't know what Taylor is up to.
  37. Squeeky

Squeeky New Member

Thank you for the info! Sad we won't be seeing them this year...I liked Kiri as a pairs skater....
  38. NadineWhite

Copied & pasted from my post over in the K&C Forum:

Thank the Good Lord for IN! :) Just now watched the Jr. Pairs FS replay, and was blown away by Maddy & Max per usual, and they have now added Jr. National Pair Champions to their other title of Novice National Pair Champions as well. :cool:

Can't wait till they enter Seniors next year (Max is aged out of Jrs. now anyway). And what a way to complete their Jr. career. :smokin: Oops, not quite yet, they still have Jr. Worlds to go to this year. :hat1:

I've always loved how Madeline sets herself apart from the rest of the pack by having pointed toes & fingers, a straight back, and verve! And both she & Max set themselves apart from all the rest by "finishing" everything off in Tano style.

CONGRATULATIONS MADELINE & MAX ~ 2014 JR. NATIONAL PAIR CHAMPIONS!:kickass:
  39. dinakt

dinakt Well-Known Member

Kiri did a beautiful, musical and spirited SP at Nationals and I also miss her as a Pairs Skater. May she find a great partner and go far, she is very talented.
  40. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

Any links on YouTube for the pairs SP by any chance?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.