US Pairs 2013 News and Updates Part II

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by ~tapdancer~, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Re-posting what I just now posted in the K&C forum (in regards to Donlan & Speroff btw):

Thanks so much for the report and especially for the video! :kickass:

I LOVE the costumes, oh my, the first thing I thought of was the drawing of Oksana Baiul that a fan gave me over a decade ago: [​IMG]

Seriously, the music, the costumes, the skaters were sublime. They could've been skating to "Swan Lake".... :oksana1:

Okay, enough of my shallow observations, the skating itself was splendid (fully rotated sbs jumps, alas), pointed toes, perfect posture, high split-3-twist, and then out of nowhere BAM:eek: ! Scared the beejeezes out of me (she had just made it all the way to the top; slo-mo looked like she might've slightly bonked her head as well :confused:). Which makes it all the more I M P R E S S I V E when they both got up and went right into another lift that covered the entire ice (what trust both partners have to have in each other to do that).

I know it has been said before, but I would like to say it again ~ pairs girls are TOUGH! 'nuff said. I mean look at 84 year old Dick Button, back when he was 73 yrs. old he skated on a small pond located on his property and fell. He had to have brain surgery, permanently lost hearing in one of his ears, had blood cots, a concussion, was in the hospital for months, and has never fully recovered. Not to mention Elena Bereznyha's heroic story. Just makes me appreciate ALL skaters so much more. :respec:

2. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Mentioned in the Middle Atlantics competition thread in Kiss and Cry but not in this thread yet... these 2 fancam videos were posted on TSL's FB page this past weekend:

Donlan/Speroff's 3rd place FS: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=400609190061055

Leng/LeDuc's 2nd place FS: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=400620406726600

ETA info passed along to me:
    Calalang/Sidhu landed their sbs 3S and were credited with 2A+1T (- GOE); also landed both throws (3S & 3Lz) successfully in the 2nd half.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  3. NadineWhite

Re-posting what I just now posted in the K&C Forum:

I enjoyed reading the IN article, thanks Sylvia for posting it. :)

Now to the real reason I'm here this AM (but will be back for the Ladies FS at 2PM PST) ~ Castelli & Schnapir ~ I say FORGET the throw-4S! Seriously, you don't need it, and it only messes everything else up, especially the important sbs jumps, et al. I recall seeing you two live last year at Skate America (as well as D/C), and honest to God you two are just as good (mayhap even better; your 3twist is bigger than every other US pair and for that matter the world) as Denney&Coughlin. Both powerful, consistent (when not going for the throw 4S), fast, and polished. If you two want to make the Olympic Team *drop* the throw 4S and instead go for consistency and polished programs every time out. Otherwise you'll be off the podium like what happened in previous years when you two went for that darn throw 4S. :mad: Jmho. :)

4. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  5. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

Looking at the protocols and the results, the biggest revelation for me was K/O! I'm pleasantly surprised by how pleased international judges are with their skating. They had a fall, UR and missed some levels but got a decent score.

I'm hoping that C/S get it together. They've got the components, but need to make the SBS jumps work (I hope this doesn't develop into a problem for them again)

6. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

You do realize skaters fall from triple throws as well, they may as well try it if they have it, it's worth 8 points.

7. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

If it's a choice between a throw 2A+ or throw 4S in the FS, I'd say Castelli/Shnapir should go for the quad!

8. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

Kayne/O'Shea's freeskate is impressive. I'm also happy to see the scores, but not really surprised after seeing them compete. The beginning of the Don Quixote program is very impressive and the ending is also excellent. They have incorporated many of the classic moves straight from the ballet and Kayne's posture is impressive. I'm thinking those qualities will hold them in good stead with international judges. I am most impressed by their ability to compete. Their practices were not nearly as impressive as their competitive performances.

9. olympic

BTW, I see that D/C are doing a 2x-2t-2t instead of a 2x-2x seq. I assume that the 3 jump combo gets more points?

10. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I <3 Kozuka

2A+2A SEQ has a base of 3.3x2x.8, or 5.28 (or 5.81 in the second half). 2x/2T/2T has a base of 3.3+1.1+1.1, or 5.5 (or 6.05 in the second half). The difference is a not a lot.

11. analia

analia Active Member

Tarah Kayne is very pretty, so is her dress. Those are 2 points in PCS, and rightfully so.

12. sequinsgalore

sequinsgalore Member

A 2A+2T+2T has has the base value of 3.3+1.3+1.3=5.9, so the bump in base value is 0.62 point. Not much, but better than nothing. And if it means that Caydee has to do one less 2A, I think the better (Caydee and John has very different 2A techniques, which promotes bad unison).

13. NadineWhite

Comments taken into consideration, but I still say without a doubt that Castelli/Schnapir should *NOT* go for the throw-quad. I am emphatic on that point. Otherwise they will definitely be off the Olympic Team, finito, and will have to wait another loooong 4 years to try again. History proves me right: they went for it at the 2011 & 2012 US Nationals respectively, and it messed up everything else, resulting in them dropping to 5th place both years.

Whereas a clean solid stylish performance with sbs triple jumps, humongous split 3twist, and difficult lifts will get them on the podium, and did so last season ~ first time they ever medalled on the GP (bronze at NHK Trophy, not to mention bronze at 4CC), and of course secured them their first US National Title. :hat1:

They've never landed the throw-quad in competition, not even in a little B competition, and I guarantee you they won't at US Nationals (where 2 spots for the Olympic Team are on the line), and is considered thee most stressful event for skaters, especially in a country that has lots of contenders. The PRESSURE is out of this world I've heard from many skaters because to even go to the Olympics one has to get past Nationals first, after that it's pretty much icing on the cake at the Olympics. :smokin:

I will say no more on the subject, and just hope they go for consistency over riskiness to secure a spot on the Olympic Team. After that anything goes; the world will be their oyster at the Olympics, and they'll have nothing to lose, literally. Jmho. :)

14. nylynnr

nylynnr Active Member

Unless Castelli & Shnapir can treat the quad throw as if it were just another element, and not focus on it too much mentally, it may continue to disrupt their program. The week prior to SLC they had worked with Marcotte again and she made significant changes to the FS. Absorbing those changes, plus trying the quad throw, may have put a bit too much pressure on the performance.

15. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Um, they've tried the Th4S all of, what, twice in competition now? I think it's worthwhile to keep trying it through the fall comps to see what happens. Especially if their spins continue to be as bad as they've been.

16. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Forget the throw quad, Simon has to learn how to do a sbs jump cleanly. I know people have set the bar so low for them that anything other than a total bellyflop from him on a jump is considered a success, but that's not going to cut it at worlds.

17. figureit

figureit Member

And it did not cut it at World's given the scores from S/K Internationally. S/K have a beautiful short excited to see their long and I bet they are ready to go for their senior B warm-up competition. They have a lot of pressure after that injury but seeing Salt Lake they will do beyond regardless of what they do components are huge, and their look is amazing. Also given the stakes this year it seems cLean beautiful components and a story with a standing O ending, those are the teams that will go to the Olympics. It is still C/S choice and let's face it competition it fierce but no one else can decide it for them if they want to go for it then they should. IF they feel good about their program without then so be it but two "James Bond programs?" K/O do it for short then C/S do it for FS it's weird? but interesting seeing them together.

18. olympic

It seemed like he was on the road to doing SBS jumps cleanly, but started to falter recently.

19. olympic

D/C LP from the 2013 International Classic!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjWNhU5DTBs

Dare I say, I think they found a good way to hide Caydee's lack of extension in the lifts, but overall she moves better. They also seem to have a little more power, and developed better overall presentation. Not bad!

20. yfbg722

yfbg722 Active Member

Thanks for the link. I liked that more than I expected to. Excellent unison on the sbs spin. I thought for the most part Caydee is looking fairly graceful. I'm still not a huge fan of her lift positions though that last lift is quite intriguing. It's always nice to see something new and fresh. John seems to be fully recovered. Looks to me like the US is going to have a nice battle for the top spot this year.

21. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

Yes! I love that last lift, and it's so much better than some of the positions they've attempted in the past. They're looking strong for early in the season.

22. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

Are there any images of Caydee with her new Pasrtner?

23. mgobluegirl

mgobluegirl Well-Known Member

The "Denney" mention above was about Caydee's younger sister Haven. She skates with Brandon Frazier in Florida and they won the junior world championship this spring. Caydee Denney is still skating with John Coughlin.

BittyBug and (deleted member) like this.
  24. FSWer

FSWer Well-Known Member

COOL!!! Are there any photos or Images of Denney/Frazer? BTW. why does that Guys name sound familar?

25. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Haven Denney and Brandon Frazier's official site has many pictures of them: http://www.havendenneyandbrandonfrazier.com/Photo-Gallery.html

They will make their senior international debut at Ondrej Nepela Trophy in Bratislava, Slovakia, in early October.

ETA: Denney/Frazier were signed up to compete their senior programs in the Ellenton, Florida club comp., but they didn't compete their SP yesterday; FS is scheduled for tonight.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2013
  26. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Maybe because Brendan Fraser (notice the different spelling) is a rather famous actor?

27. leapfrogonice

leapfrogonice Active Member

Really looking forward to what will hopefully be a solid international debut for Davis/Brubaker at Nebelhorn this coming week. I have no particular "favorites" amongst the US pairs. Simply hoping for some strong outings from an increasingly deep field of teams. Would be great to see some positive momentum from the group as a whole this season internationally.

28. olympic

Bold mine.

ITA

In fact, Before the 2013 US International Classic, I wasn't that fond of D/C and was hoping we would have the US team for Sochi consist of C/S and S/K. But D/C have made enough improvements for my taste to not mind if they made the team.

29. Spiralgraph

Spiralgraph Active Member

i agree with leapfrogice and olympic. I'm very hopeful at all the promising teams who will fight it out at US Nationals. Please may they all skate their best.

30. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.