US Pairs 2013 News and Updates Part II

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by ~tapdancer~, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hippychick

hippychick New Member

Any chance that Donlan and Speroff will be added to the alternates list with their win in Slovakia.
  2. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

3. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

If I understand the GP Announcement correctly, Donlan and Speroff will be added to the alternates list, but not at the end of it, which they'd be by winning Ondrej Nepala; rather they'll be 3-7 4-8* couples away from being moved into the Top Five group from which alternates are chosen, based on their SB 38 from last season. Still, it's not very likely that they'll get a GP spot off the alternates list.

*This depends on whether teams with one or none get selected off the list. A team with none remains in the Top Five until it gets two. A team with one that gets a second opens up a spot for a new team. [ETA: I recalculated the number of selections before D/S could move into the Top Five, both worse-case and best-case scenarios and fixed it. The earliest they could be picked is 5th; the latest isn't never, but they could be bypassed for quite a while.]

They were not on the alternates list before Nepala, because didn't make the GP (total) minimum at Skate America (they were 4.16 shy), and they missed the GP SP TES minimum (20) -- new this year -- twice last (Skate America, Nebelhorn 2012) by less than a point. At Nepala, they exceeded the minimum by 12.83 points, or 64% :cheer2:
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  4. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

For anyone who missed it in the K & C -

D/S LP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SMn7ETOSUA

They seem to be gaining confidence and they skated with good speed / attack on most elements. I couldn't tell how well she landed the first throw jump ... except those SBS jumps. I'm not sure what they will ever be able to do about their jumps. Still, good score and the win might further bolster them. I'm also glad she pruned down the tutu; IMO the bigger tutu distracted from her beautiful extension

S/K LP: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b_4eqd6fs0I

I braced for worse when I saw the score, but considering that he is coming off of injury, I was generally pleased by this performance. It's obvious they are working on PCS. The step-outs on the throw jumps were minute and they move across the ice with such natural ease. I was also worried that he might still be injured but it didn't appear that he struggled at all through the performance. I imagine they will work on just getting their consistency together for the GP series
  5. hippychick

hippychick New Member

I actually think that D/S sbs jumps have improved tremendously this year. They have not had a UR call in their S/P on their 3 toes all year, and no falls. At midAtlantics they landed all jumps cleanly. Hopefully Nepala will serve as a confidence booster for them. While D/S are definitely amoung the weaker of the top US pairs jump wise I still don't think that any of the US teams can be called completely consistent. None of the US teams jumped well in the LP at Nepala and D/S were the only US team to both land their jumps in the SP, it seems like someone should celebrate that!
  6. NadineWhite

NadineWhite Well-Known Member

Eloquently stated, hippychick, and I concur. :) :cool:

Here's to celebrating Gretchen Donlan & Andrew Speroff on their growing consistency. They've worked hard and it's paying off in big ways, YES!!!!:encore::cheer2:
  7. Sylvia

Tweeted by USFS today:
  8. NadineWhite

GREAT NEWS for Lindsay & Rockne! YESSSSS! :encore: :cheer2: (thanks for posting it, Sylvia) :)

I really do love this pair, have since I heard they were first pairing up, and even moreso when I saw them skate at their most recent competition at the US International Classic. Love their costumes, music, choreography, moves, spins (yeah they're doing the reverse lasso lift!), and everything else in between. Here's hoping they skate clean and do well at Rostelecom Cup. :cool:

And I'm truly sorry to hear about Simpson/Blackmer, another favorite of mine since I first saw them skate "Titanic" (iconic performance imho), but it's wise to take time to heal Britney's injury properly and then come back fierce & fighting. :smokin:
  9. NadineWhite

Heads up:

Madeline Aaron & Max Settlage skate tomorrow (they already have a silver thus far on the JGP, here's hoping for the same or better results):

http://www.isuresults.com/results/jgpest2013/

GOOOOOOOOOOO MADELINE & MAX!!!!:kickass:

ps: hopefully somebody puts up a youtube video tomorrow (crossing fingers)...
  10. reese

reese Well-Known Member

11. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Davis/Brubaker are on the ISU GP grid for Rostelecom Cup as of the 9 October iteration.
  12. olympic

^ I think 5 US teams have 2 GP slots (D/C, S/K, C/S, Z/B and now D/B). That must be a record!
  13. NadineWhite

14. NadineWhite

reese, you're right they just posted the first team's video, yeah, now Maddy & Max are up! :cool:
  15. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I'm a bit surprised that D/B have two assignments. I just don't see them as contenders to even make the Olympic team.
  16. NadineWhite

17. Sylvia

Make it 6 pairs now! USFS just tweeted that Haven Denney/Brandon Frazier have accepted an invite to Skate Canada.

Skate America: Castelli/Shnapir, Denney/Coughlin, Zhang/Bartholomay
    Skate Canada: Davis/Brubaker, Denney/Frazier
    Cup of China: Scimeca/Knierim, Zhang/Bartholomay
    NHK Trophy: Castelli/Shnapir, Denney/Frazier
    TEB: Denney/Coughlin
    Rostelecom Cup: Davis/Brubaker, Scimeca/Knierim

Cup of Nice: Calalang/Sidhu, Leng/LeDuc
    Ice Challenge: TBA
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  18. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

Is it possible for Kayne/ O'Shea to get a GP?
  19. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Yeah it's sad that a team that's superior to some of the teams getting GP assignments is stuck outside looking in. D/B should not have gotten two events while a team that has been far more impressive like K/S don't have any.
  20. stjeaskategym

stjeaskategym Well-Known Member

Don't the host nations select alternate picks instead of the ISU? In the past, a big problem we've seen on occasion is that the hosts would pick "lesser" picks instead of the next best skaters in line in order to not make the field any more difficult for their own country's skaters. The point of the GP should be to have the absolute strongest fields possible, not to make it an invitational for the host nations. The ISU should be assigning the next highest scoring skaters to any available GP spots. Did Kayne/O'Shea's Sr B score get them on the alternates list? I forgot how it works exactly, but if it did, they should have been the next in line right?
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  21. NadineWhite

Just an update for Madeline Aaron & Max Settlage's Fans like myself, they finished 4th in their second JGP event and therefore just missed getting into the JGP Final. Alas, they are 1st Alternates though, Yeah! :cool:

And here's my post from the K&C (copied & pasted) in regards to their wonderful FS:

Beautiful beautiful nice clean skate ~ nice 3twist (still need to be bigger & higher), big throw-3R, managed to do sbs 3Salchows (though Max 2footed & UR his), gorgeous throw-3S, and my favorite part sbs 2axels-steps-into-Tano 2Rs. :cool: And all with their usual balletic elegance and effervescence. :smokin:

I love it, I could honestly watch these two all day, and cannot wait until they enter seniors next year. Though it's smart to stay in juniors and work on their consistency and elements, et al. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWobjZwj9hI
  22. toddlj

toddlj Well-Known Member

No, sadly, the rules say only the WINNER of the event can be added to the alternate list.
  23. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

Well, Kayne/O'Shea are new to the international scene. In deference to the American pairs habit of partners not sticking together, D/B got in under the "split pairs" provision and due to Brubaker's success with Marley the last couple seasons.
  24. hippychick

hippychick New Member

Donlan and Speroff also have not gotten a GP assignment and they won Nepala Trophy.
    They finished ahead of Denney and Frazier there and had a higher score than Davis and Brubaker did at Nebelhorn. I know that it has something to do with ISU rules, but it is dissapointing that these teams can't event get one GP before all these other teams get two.

I also am not a big fan of the split couple rule, it seems to me that someone who is on the
    grand prix with one partner can split up and also automatically get a GP assignment with their next partner, it hardly seems fair to those teams who stick together. I would rather see any new team have to fight for a spot, not have it handed to them. JMO.

Just because a skater was in one good partnership does not automatically mean that they are
    GP calibre automatically with there next partner. It really does a disservice to other teams.
  25. olympic

I think with all of D/C, S/K, C/S, Z/B, D/B and D/F getting 2 GP assignments + 1 Pre-season B, and L/L , C/S (Calalang/Sidhu) being assigned to Coupe International de Nice at the end of October, it's quite possible that D/S and K/O might get a 2nd Senior B @ Ice Challenge as (1) a consolation prize; and (2) an opportunity from the USFSA to further test their improvements in front of International judges.

With S/B out for the Fall and B/T having split, there are really no other Senior US pair teams to assign, are there? I think they could both get Ice Challenge by default.

The only other team I can think of is B/R, but they were pretty subpar at Skate Detroit and I haven't seen / heard from them since. Any news on them?
  26. Sylvia

My hearsay info is that Bereswill/Reagan have split, and Becky is taking this season off from competing in singles to focus on college full-time (Univ. of Michigan).

ETA:
    Jessica Pfund/A.J. Reiss, who are listed in the ISP, debuted their Senior programs at Skate St. Moritz last month (48.68 SP, 79.28 FS, 127.96 total). He was injured and off the ice for a while this past summer.
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  27. olympic

Thanks for the info. It really looks like K/O and D/S could get another Senior B (unless Calalang/Sidhu or L/L really do well in Nice)

Too bad for B/R. But Josh Reagan has gone through 3 partners in 3 years. Something is starting to smell a little fishy here ...

ETA - I saw your note re P/R. They are a team w/ some nice qualities but not sure their history is enough to qualify for an international assignment unless the USFSA just wants to share the wealth and mix it up a bit ...
  28. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

The hosts do make the choices, but they may have conversations/deals with the other hosts.

Kayne/O'Shea only qualify for a host pick, and USFS had other priorities. Unless they place high enough to earn a spot at championships and earn a PB high enough to be guaranteed one on their own or be high enough to be eligible from the alternates list, they will be at the mercy of USFS selection policy. It's a good thing that in this Olympic year, USFS has decided that the Olympic team will not go to 4C's, which leaves three spots open for lower-ranked skaters at championships.

Winners of the early listed Senior B's go to the bottom of the alternates list; if winning Nepala were D/S's only claim, they'd be eight-ten Pairs -- and up to 18 selections -- away from being eligible for moving into the Top Five, which doesn't guarantee a selection. For example, there have been three substitutions so far, with K/S's TEB spot still TBA, and Martiusheva/Rogonov -- the highest ranked (PB 18) and the only team besides Denney/Frazier in the Top 24 SB in the Top Five, and eligible for selection to sub for K/S -- are still waiting. Donlan/Speroff, by virtue of having made the GP TES minimum for SP at Nepala, combined with their SB #36, are three or four couples -- or up to six selections -- away from being in the Top Five and eligible for an invitation.

Like last year, the split couples only are in the Top Five and don't, like in 2011-12, get picked first for a second GP before anyone on the PB list, unless choosing them breaks a rule (already there, crazy travel, visa issues, too many from the country, etc.). So far this year, Purdy/Marinaro got a second before any split couple, and Purich/Tran are still waiting. They didn't qualify for either of K/S's picks -- they're at TEB already and Canada already has three at SC -- but they could have been chosen for SA ahead of P/M.

Just because a skater was in one partnership doesn't automatically mean the new partnership is GP caliber automatically, but sometimes they are, and the ISU is assuming they'll quickly get up to speed or won't -- in which case they'll be low on the SB list -- and will be dropped nationally. Purich/Tran's score at Nebelhorn was within 4.04 points of Donlan/Speroff's at Ondrej Nepala, and P/T skated in a larger field at Nebelhorn, with V/T skating, and Nebelhorn was more highly visible as an Olympic qualifier. If D/S are GP caliber -- and they didn't even make the GP Total Minimum at their ISU event last season -- then so are P/T, a split couple, and they look competitive for the third Olympic spot in Canada.
  29. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

Well, I have a feeling that K/O will be at 4CC and have a chance to prove themselves against tough competition.
  30. jlmart

jlmart Member

Weren't K/S for NHK not TEB? Which would make P/T eligible if they wanted to make the fast hop?
  31. icellist

icellist New Member

I'm sorry. There's so many pairs nationally and internationally now. Can we stop with the <Last initial>/<Last initial> format and go with first two letters of last name?
  32. Sylvia

Good luck with that! ;) (I spell out the full names of the teams when I can.)

I assume jlmart is referring to the non-USA pairs of Kavaguti/Smirnov and Pang/Tong Purich/Tran (ETA: not Pang/Tong as I first thought!), and they are more relevant to the GP Assignments discussion thread so I've re-posted there: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...ympic-Season&p=4015950&viewfull=1#post4015950
  33. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

As I said several pages ago - I appreciate it when posters take the trouble to give complete names. When initials are given, I don't read the post. I know I'm not so important a reader, but there are several readers like me. If you want us to read your posts, please take the extra time and trouble to use names, rather than initials. Thanks to those who do - Sylvia, Kwanfan, hippychick, and Liljen are recent examples.
    danafan and (deleted member) like this.
  34. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

I try to remember to use the last names in full the first time in a post, but after that, or in response to a quote, I tend to use the initials.
  35. jlmart

jlmart Member

Sorry about the last name/initial problem (lesson learned) as well as posting in the wrong thread. I actually thought I was IN the GP Assignments thread and couldn't understand when I went back later why my post didn't show up!
  36. NadineWhite

*HEADS UP*:

FSU member sykr posted some absolute gorgeous pics of the Ondrej Nepela Pairs FS competition over in the K&C, including the medal ceremoney, Yeah! :cheer2: Was looking everywhere for some video coverage of it but couldn't find any, but alas sykr provided beautiful coverage with his/her pics. :cool: *note: Gretchen Donlan has bangs now!* :eek:
  37. Sylvia

Re-posting this link from the 2013 Skate America forum in Kiss & Cry - audio from last week's media teleconference: Castelli/Shnapir (13:27).
  38. NadineWhite

OMG reading the practice thread over in the K&C for SKAM is unreal! :eek:

So much drama and ups & downs and everything in between for the singles skaters, but all the pairs seemed to have worked hard and are nailing everything. Honestly cannot wait to watch Denney & Coughlin. I recall them like yesterday at last year's SKAM and they are even more phenomenal and powerful to watch live in person. Here's hoping they capture a medal! :hat1:

ps: and Castelli/Schnapir were just as marvelous in person as well, though they are not scheduled to arrive at SKAM until tomorrow. :)
  39. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

40. Sylvia

Live stream of Cup of Nice: http://www.nice-baie-des-anges.fr/nicecup

Senior Pairs SP start order/results will be updated after the event is over): http://nice-baie-des-anges.fr/images/stories/docs-coupe/resultats2013/SEG007.HTM

This is the senior international debut for Calalang/Sidhu (#3 in SP start order) and the second international for Leng/LeDuc (#4)

ETA:
    I've started a new thread in GSD: New GBR pair: Caitlin Yankowskas & Hamish Gaman

Donlan/Speroff (gold at Nepela Trophy) and Kayne/O'Shea (silver in SLC) are the 2 U.S. entries for Ice Challenge.

Davis/Brubaker and H. Denney/Frazier have their Senior Grand Prix team debuts this afternoon at Skate Canada in Saint John, NB.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.