US Pairs 2013 News and Updates Part II

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by ~tapdancer~, Mar 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

New thread for those of us who like to keep up with US Pairs. Wishing C/S and S/K great skates at Worlds!

2. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Thanks for starting a new thread! :)

3. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Throw 3axel and throw 4salchow = pie in the sky. Not like they were realistically going to attempt those.

And for the love of god: A sentence ends with a full stop.

4. figureit

figureit Member

I don't know I read the comments on the new IN articles about the World Pairs that C/S were landing Quad Sal a couple days ago in training. Why they are training an element they are not going to use seems like a waste of energy but maybe it is a strategy for next season?

Also it is so funny to me the critiques of writing on this forum...given twitter and the like.

If you are going to take His name in vain ( I am not religious but someone else may mind) you should at least capitalize " God".
    Also my writing and ending in such a manor was to initiate a "sigh" or continued wish....was bummed as I believed they could do it and if they are landing it in practice as soon as two days ago I guess they should be doing it or another triple of some sort.
    Regardless it will be what it is the short is Wednesday so...

AxelAnnie and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Sylvia

Sylvia On to GP & U.S. Sectionals!

Maybe Castelli/Shnapir are going to try the throw quad Salchow in practice at Worlds to see how it goes? That would be exciting! Look for practice reports and news to be posted in the 2013 Worlds forum in Kiss and Cry, hopefully starting tomorrow.

6. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

Two somewhat related things as I finished up reading the old thread:

I saw the quote about D/F saying they'd do the Senior Circuit next year. Honestly kind of surprised. I'd rather see them stick around JGPs for one last year and win everything (along with a lot of prize money). I think on the SGP they'll be stuck in fifth place. Unless they think they really can make it to Sochi, I see no reason for them to compete internationally in senior. I realize that they're not going to senior world's this year, but did they make the minimums at jr worlds? I assume that the minimums will be similar next year, so that's why I ask.

If they're not on the JGP circuit, then that leaves very few US teams for an increasing amount of spots to fill in the JGP. Just looking at current teams, we have Aaron/Settlage (lucky kid was born on the cutoff date), liu/ Perini, Budd/ Cheban, Zaitsev/ Stevens. That's only four teams to fill 15 spots at the JGPs. I'm assuming Michael Johnson (just realized his initials are MJ) if moving to California is teaming up with Elise Middleton. I have heard about De la mora/ Wilson breaking up, so perhaps she will find an age eligible partner; maybe joe dolk? Even if such a partnership occurred there'd be 6 teams to fill 15 spots. I think we might see some teams forming just so that they can go to junior grand prix's. We'll see.

7. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

1. Without checking, I'm 100% sure D/F made the minimums for senior worlds. If Kemp/King made them, D/F definitely did.
    2. D/F finishing 5th at their SGP events or Nationals again wouldn't be so terrible- they could gain valuable senior experience- you have to start somewhere and who knows, they have the goods to even medal at SGPs if they keep improving at this rate.
    3. It's not D/F's problem to solve if USFS doesn't have enough junior teams. And there will be a bunch of new teams by the time Indy comes around.

8. Sylvia

Yes. Denney/Frazier were listed as the Worlds alternate pair behind Zhang/Bartholomay on the Entries list.

No, my hearsay information is that Middleton is teaming up with Anthony Evans from Texas, who turns 21 in May and will no longer be ISU Junior age-eligible.

ETA: Takai/Johnson (N4) are also JGP age-eligible.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2013
  9. ChibiChibi

ChibiChibi Active Member

Are Liu and Perini eligible for JGP next season? I think Perini is turning 20 next month.

10. johndockley92

johndockley92 New Member

20 still makes them eligible this year, however next year the rule change comes into effect where 20 would be no longer eligible.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Practice is practice, competition is competition. You usually don't attempt an element in competition unless you can land it in practice the vast majority of the time.

1) This is not Twitter (but even if it were, it wouldn't make using an ellipsis in place of a full stop right either).

2) It's lazy and inconsiderate of others because your posts are difficult and annoying to read. You're basically being passive-aggressive.

3) You have incorrectly used an ellipsis in the above sentence again. I'm not great with punctuation myself but I believe that a comma should have been used instead.

God doesn't exist. I am not going to contribute to perpetuating the discourse that is responsible for a lot of what's wrong with the world.

That I can understand. However, you are doing it at the end of most of the sentences in most of your posts.

BittyBug, emason, rfisher and 3 others like this.
  12. Sylvia

Back to pairs news... I'm sad to see Elizabeth Egbers newly listed on IPS - she and Jacob Simon were 6th in Novice Pairs at Midwestern Sectionals (top 5 teams advanced from both Easterns and Mids) and, IMO, deserved to qualify for 2013 Nationals based on their results/scores over the course of the season. Egbers/Simon had competed together at Nationals at the Juvenile (10th place) and Intermediate (5th) levels in the two seasons prior to this one, and were coached in the Chicago area by Jeremy Allen, who coaches Baga/Toth.

13. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

This kind of nitpicking over somebody's punctuation and writing style is a great way to deter posters whose first language is not English... or who happen to like ellipses ;) ... or who are not as perfectionistic about their posts on a skating forum as some... or who post from phones or iPads where corrections are hard to make... or who routinely make unimportant mistakes.... Way to go. :hat1:

14. ChibiChibi

ChibiChibi Active Member

Thank you! I didn't know the rule change comes into effect next season. I think this rule change makes it very difficult for younger pairs..

15. triple_toe

triple_toe Well-Known Member

FWIW, Castelli/Shnapir did an AMAZING throw quad salchow on the practice. It wsa at the end of the session though, so I'm thinking it was more a "look what I can do" thing.

16. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

^Encouraging!

BTW, why no draw yet for the Pairs SP? It starts in 18 hours ... There has been a draw for the Men already ...

17. julieann

julieann Well-Known Member

18. figureit

figureit Member

19. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

Hoping that C/S and S/K deliver performances that they're proud of :cheer:

But on a side note...:eek: At only 10 countries being represented in the pairs competition at Worlds!

20. olympic

I think so. First of all, not much is expected of them - early draws, first Worlds, no real chance at 3 spots or a medal. Their draws allow them less time to over-think things even during the warm-up.

21. A.H.Black

A.H.Black Well-Known Member

Well, as of now, they will both need to move up a couple of places in order for the US to have 2 spots at the Olympics. Don't they?

22. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Doesn't it have to be a combined total of 28? Which means they are close, but okay.

Unless I have the number wrong...

23. Sylvia

Yes, combined 28, so 12th (S/K) and 13th (C/S) is fine at the moment.

24. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure it is 28 and aren't they at 25? Hopefully they will stay same or improve in long.

25. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

S&K have so much potential. Which they probably won't reach with their current coach. I hope they at least go elsewhere for choreo next season.

26. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Right now they are under the 28 they need to keep two spots but it's still to close for the comfort. And i agree about S&K they do have a lot of potential but their coach is not know for her choreography. This is by far her most artistic team but she doesn't know what to do with them.

27. lauren329

lauren329 Active Member

I think S/K deserve huge kudos for skating so well for the first Worlds outing after an injury and only one year together. There should be a bigger lead over C/S and I would not be surprised to see them pass C/S next year. Hopefully USFSA will push them to get some outside choreo. I have not been this excited about a US pair in forever.

28. olympic

^I think C/S and S/K are fine for retaining 2 spots for the US. The combined total needed is 28 and right now they are no. 12 and 13 = 25. Sad to see Simon bite it on the SBS 3sal. If he had been clean like he has been all season, their SP mark would've been around 59 points and they would be in the top 10. *Sigh* It looked like S/K got dinged a little for her landing on the throw 3flip (did she touch down? I re-watched but I couldn't really tell) and I think Chris UR'd the SBS 3sal?

Anyway, they have a sizable lead over both the British and no. 2 Italian pairs. They would have to really mess up horribly to lose 2 spots (oh wait, we're talking about US pairs, aren't we? LOL)

29. ssmith17

ssmith17 Member

Where did you see the event? I am a subscriber to Ice Network but don't see it on there.

30. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

There are some feeds listed in the TV section of this website. The men's is on right now. I'm watching Latvian tv.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.